The Organizing Sourcebook - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-29-2006, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're in the market for a book to help you organize--not clean, organize--I highly recommend "The Organizing Sourcebook" by Kathy Waddill. Unlike a lot of books this isn's a book filled with pictures of closets organized a particular way with specific products. Instead, when she recommends one type of container or tool she explains what properties the container or tool has to make it a good choice. The main focus of the book is on constantly evaluating your space and things to see what can be/needs to be changed to support your activities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 AM

Hmmm, wonder if the library will have that. Doh, I forgot that they are closed today.
#3 of 10 Old 05-29-2006, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

1. Make your system fit you and your life.
2. Sort everything by how you use it.
3. Weed constantly.
4. Use the right containers and tools
5. Label everything
6. Keep it simple
7. Decide to decide
8. Get help when you need it
9. Evaluate honestly and often
--From The Organizing Sourcebook by Kathy Waddill, copyright 2001

Are the "Nine Strategies of Reasonably Organized People" to get you started.
#4 of 10 Old 05-29-2006, 11:33 PM

Sounds like a good resource. Thanks for the tip.
#5 of 10 Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 AM

Boy, oh boy I wish I could get help. I've tried to get a friend to just BE with me while I clean so I can chat and clean but she always comes up with an excuse. She's not really a 'friend'...just a person I hang out with, I guess.
#6 of 10 Old 05-30-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

For me, #8 has consisted of being more willing to ask my dh to do things.
#7 of 10 Old 06-10-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

#8 of 10 Old 06-10-2006, 02:13 PM

thanks for the tip! the book sounds great...

i have problems with:
1. Make your system fit you and your life. -- i am always trying to be way too simple and i know that isn't working. i hate buying containers to put things in as i think it's so wasteful, but it seems that this is the only way things are going to get organised in my household. i also have issues with making special storage compartments for certain things, even though we are not renting our house. ugh.
2. Sort everything by how you use it. -- i have no idea on how to do this.. any tips?
9. Evaluate honestly and often. -- i have to stop lying to myself about the things i can't part with... the "but what if i need this later?" disease is horrible to have.
#9 of 10 Old 06-10-2006, 02:52 PM

I got the book from the library after reading this thread, and I love it, so thanks! MDC is great, I get so many good ideas here

I love that the book is not just about getting rid of things, and how to get rid of things, why to get rid of things. That's important, but now I"m learning so much about organizing the things you still have, and making your house work for you.

mamamelia I think the part about making systems fit your life is not so much about buying containers as it is about really looking at how you're using your space. The author attributes many disorganization struggles to big life changes, ie a new baby arrives, and you end up doing new things and not doing the things you used to do. So say the new baby comes and now you have toys, diapers, and other new things but your space is filled with equipment from some pre-baby hobby, like in our case, traveling. I don't have time or money to travel anymore, so why are backpacks, file cases full of maps, travel guides, etc, stuffing my closets and shelves. If I plan on traveling again I could weed out the outdated stuff, keep some good stuff in the more inaccessible storage areas, and free up space for the current things I am doing. If that makes any sense. she gives lots of examples in the book.

Sorting things by how you use them has to do with keeping the things you use all together in the place where you use them. An example for me is to bring the file case with paid bills out to the desk where I pay bills. That way I"ll file them right away instead of paper clipping them in piles of "to be filed" (and then never filing them) Or, keep all the CDs you listen to near the CD player, so you don't have to wander to another room to put the CD away. That way piles of listened to CDs don't form.

#9 I haven't read yet

anyway I really second the recommendation of this book, it is great. I'm looking forward to some even minor changes that I think will help around here.
#10 of 10 Old 06-10-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

The other thing I really like about the book is that she both points out that having an emotional attachment to something is a "use," but then points out that if something has lived in the bottom of your closet for years your attachment might not be as great as you think. It's all about making it so that stuff and activities you don't care about get out of the way of the activities and stuff you do care about.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page