A couple of questions for everyone... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-30-2006, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am serious about getting rid of clutter and making what we need to keep look uncluttered.

First question-where do you store your bread, muffins, buns, etc? Basket? On the counter? In a drawer?

2nd ?-Do you keep your utensils in a crock or in the drawer?

3rd-What small kitchen appliances do you leave out?

4th-bulletin boards look cluttered to me. so does magnets on the refrig. If I put notes etc in a basket I'll never remember them. What do you guys do with notes, etc?

5th-Shoes. We live on a farm so the boys/dh all have a couple of different types of boots, plus tennis shoes. When they are muddy what do you do with them? Then how do you keep them neat and organized so you're not tripping on the @@#$%^&** things? We also have lots of coats (working outside coats, good coats, rain coats, lighter jackets) and really do need the variety living in Missouri.

OK that's enough from me for now. Answer any or all you feel like but please answer LOL.
#2 of 21 Old 05-30-2006, 10:50 PM

:
#3 of 21 Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 PM

me too!:
#4 of 21 Old 05-30-2006, 11:09 PM

I can't stand clutter, and have pretty successfully controled it in my four adult house.

My answers to your questions:

where do you store your bread, muffins, buns, etc? Basket? On the counter? In a drawer?

The bread or pita goes on a shelf, on top of my cutting boards (1 large, 1 small). If there are muffins, they are on the center island in the kitchen, in a covered container. We don't buy any other bread.

Do you keep your utensils in a crock or in the drawer?

Some are in drawers, some are in a pitcher on a corner shelf. The main thing is to keep the overall number and variety under control. I go through them periodically and ask myself, "when was the last time I actually used this?" If it's over a year, I give it away. I only buy new ones when the old ones have to be thrown out. The only must-have tems: wooden spoon, plastic spoons (1 slotted, 1 not), metal spatula, metal tongs, wooden tongs, a whisk, silicone spatula. Beyond that's it's just our dinnerware.

What small kitchen appliances do you leave out?

The shorter list is what I have: a blender, toaster, coffee maker and microwave are used daily and are always on the counter. Handheld mixer, crockpot and small chopper are stored in the cupboard, since they only get used once a week or so. I cook a lot, but I don't find any of the other various items you can buy (electric can openers, bread makers, stand mixers, etc.) to be much of a time saver.

bulletin boards look cluttered to me. so does magnets on the refrig. If I put notes etc in a basket I'll never remember them. What do you guys do with notes, etc?

We use a cork board, which I clean off about once a week. There's also a chalkboard nearby that's used for notes about the dog or cat. I'm about to remodel the kitchen and plan to turn a whole wall into a chalkboard using special paint.

Shoes. We live on a farm so the boys/dh all have a couple of different types of boots, plus tennis shoes. When they are muddy what do you do with them? Then how do you keep them neat and organized so you're not tripping on the @@#$%^&** things? We also have lots of coats (working outside coats, good coats, rain coats, lighter jackets) and really do need the variety living in Missouri.

Do you need the variety all year round? We have small closets in our house, but we keep the outerwear from taking over by putting things in bsmt storage as the time of year dictates. Our weather is also all over the place, but I've chosen some of my jackets and such to do double or triple seasonal duty. Land's End and LL Bean both have great clothes for that.

Edited to add: I have no good answer for the boots thing. My house is old and in an urban area. We don't have a mud room or anything like that. We just try like the dickens to get the mud off our shoes before we come into the house. And people have to keep their shoes and clothes in their own rooms. I have been known to have hissy fits in which I pile someone's muddy shoes in their bed. You only have to do it once.
#5 of 21 Old 05-30-2006, 11:12 PM

1- I keep the bread on the counter. Maybe you could get one of those tupperware bread containers, to make things look less cluttered?

2- I just recently moved our utensils to a drawer and it looks a lot better!

3- I don't keep any small things out b/c I have very little counter space. If I am on a toast/bagel kick, I will leave the toaster out, but for the most part everything stays under the cabinet.

4- Could you maybe get a nice chalkboard or whiteboard to make notes on? Have the frame coordinate with your kitchen so it looks like it belongs. And if you have company coming over, you can easily take it down for the occassion.

5- Can't help ya there... we are forever tripping over our front door junk!
#6 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 02:55 AM

1. We keep our bread in the refrigerator, which I guess is unusual? It gets pretty humid here and it gets moldy and mushy left out.

2. Utensils go in a drawer right by the stove for when I need a spatula or spoon to stir something cooking.

3. I have a toaster and microwave out. Steamer, crock pot, dehydrator, bread machine, etc are in a low cabinet. Easy to reach and get out when needed.

4. I have a dry erase board on the side of the fridge. It's clear and not that noticeable, kind of blends into the fridge. That's where I jot grocery items we're low on, or other little notes to myself. We also have a corkboard attached to the inside of one of the kitchen cabinets, where I can thumb tack a paper I don't want to lose, or keep other paper lists, important reminders, etc. That way it's in the cabinet where no can see the jumbled papers on the corkboard.

5. We keep all coats and shoes in the coat closet in the foyer. There is a big throw rug there to stand on and take shoes off. That way the rug can just be thrown into the wash when need be. If the shoes are really muddy, then I have them hand carry them to the garage and leave them in there to dry out and then go bang the dried mud off their shoes the next day and put them back in the closet. If they are in the backyard, they have to stop on the rug by the back door and repeat the same process. Kind of a pita but we don't have a mud room. Dh works in an office building all day, so not too much of an issue here. If he is mowing or something outside and gets his shoes messy, he just opens the garage door(garage is attached), and then takes his shoes off there before coming inside. I do the same thing if I have been gardening or something.
#7 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 AM

First question-where do you store your bread, muffins, buns, etc?
On a shelf in the pantry cupboard.

Hanging on hooks on the wall

3rd-What small kitchen appliances do you leave out? Toaster, bread machine and coffee maker.

4th-What do you guys do with notes, etc? I copy important ones straight onto the calendar

5th-Shoes. When they are muddy what do you do with them? Then how do you keep them neat and organized so you're not tripping on the @@#$%^&** things?

If they're muddy, they leave them outside the door on the deck until they dry enough to bang the mud off. Shoes are kept in a big Rubbermaid container by the front door.
#8 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 AM

1. In the toaster oven. Of course that means we have to remove the bread every time we want to use the toaster oven but we've just never gotten around to getting a bread box since the toaster oven works so well and moving the bread is not a big deal.

2. Wooden spoons are in a holder on top of the refrigerator (it's right next to the stove so it makes sense). All other untensil are in a drawer.

3. We leave out what we use all the time which is the toaster oven, the Bosch mixer and blender, and the grain grinder.

4. We put stuff on the refrigerator with magnets. Of course the only things on there are the list of vitamins I take (I can never remember how many without that when I refill my pill box) and a running list of what we need to get at the grocery store.

5. Shoes aren't an issue for us. My husband has tennis shoes and dress shoes, I have tennis shoes and two pairs of dress shoes (summer and winter), and my kids each have a pair of tennis shoes, dress shoes, and rain boots. We just keep them in the closet by the door. The only time we have to deal with muddy shoes is if the kids have been at my parents' and then we wash them once they are dry and have been banged together to get the excess off and the rain boots sometimes get muddy but those are made so they can be easily rinsed.
#9 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank each of you for your responses. I think all the utensils are going in the drawer next to the stove. The bread is going on a pantry shelf. I have got to think over the note thing. We do have a mudroom but we seem to have a lot of shoes LOL. I have my nursing crocs, tennis, dress, boots, kids all have about 3 pairs each and my dh is the WORST of all. Boots for every possible scenario, tennis, dress, argh!! And coats bleck!! We are doing some serious work on these areas tomorrow.
#10 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz
First question-where do you store your bread, muffins, buns, etc? Basket? On the counter? In a drawer?

4th-bulletin boards look cluttered to me. so does magnets on the refrig. If I put notes etc in a basket I'll never remember them. What do you guys do with notes, etc?

5th-Shoes. We live on a farm so the boys/dh all have a couple of different types of boots, plus tennis shoes. When they are muddy what do you do with them? We also have lots of coats (working outside coats, good coats, rain coats, lighter jackets) and really do need the variety living in Missouri.
1. We generally keep the bread we are using regularly in the refrigerator with extra loaves in the freezer.

2. Utensils are in various drawers sorted by frequency of use, things we use all the time are in the drawers of our kitchen island ($200 from KMart, got it as a gift, best kitchen thing *ever*) things we only use occasionally are in lower drawers (actually I need to go through them again, since have have some "almost never-used" items I need to move to the upper shelves)

3. We leave out our electric kettle, the rice cooker/steamer, and the toaster oven (we don't have a separate toaster). The rice cooker/steamer isn't used that often, but it works well where it is and is a paint to put away anywhere due to it's size, plus we have the island to use as a workspace and clear counters aren't as much of a priority for us as a result.

4. We have a white board on the refrigerator where we can write notes about stuff we need to do or buy. Appointments get noted there if they are soon, or put on the calendar for more future events--and I'll use Yahoo calendar for anything really important, it sends reminders to my email . With only two adults in the house it hasn't been necessary to come up with a really good system for coordinating schedules and such.

5. The coats we are using most often just get hung over a chair (two people=two coats not a huge mess) all the other coats and jackets and things are kept in dh's closet since there's room in there. Right now, all the coats are in there, but if the weather does change to where we need a coat, they are easy to get to. We also tend to wear the same pair of shoes everyday.

Now in your situation, could you set up an outdoor area for things like the farm boots and working outside coats? Even just put those things inside the garage or something? That's where I keep my rain boots.

Shelves are the best organizers for shoes if you have room in your entrance. A tray filled with stones is a good resting spot for muddy/damp shoes. Also, put a heavy duty mat outside and a regular mat inside and one of those boot brush things if people get really mucky. Having people rinse their boots off with a hose or something would also reduce the amount of mud that ends up in your home.

For coats, hooks are far more likely to be used than hangers.
#11 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 03:00 PM

1. Fridge. We are another humid area, bread molds within two days here, so I have one shelf in the fridge for bread like items.

2. Both. I have a small crock with the couple of items I use daily in it--whisk, spatula, pancake turner, wooden spoons. In the drawer are measuring cups and spoons, the pastry blender--small gadget stuff that I do use. I also declutter that drawer regularly.

3. Stand mixer, coffee maker, bread maker. The stand mixer is too big to get out and put back, same with the bread maker, and we use the coffee maker daily. The toaster is in the cabinet above the plug where we use it, the crock pot and blender are in the pantry.

4. I hate cluttered fridges or bulletin boards. On my fridge I have a calendar and a white board and a little magnetic basket that holds pens and a pad of paper. All other paper type stuff (wedding invites, zippered bag of stamps and checkbook for bills, etc) goes in a basket on top of the fridge. I remember that stuff because it's where everything paper related goes, so I have to get it out pretty much daily to pay bills or mail stuff.

5. I'm no help...DH refuses to take off his shoes until he is in the bedroom. Sigh.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#12 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 03:07 PM

First question-where do you store your bread, muffins, buns, etc? Basket? On the counter? In a drawer? One loaf is in the pantry, the wheat-free kind stays in the fridge.

The most used items for cooking (the wooden spoons, spatulas, whisks, etc) are in a crock next to the stove. The drawer that I keep the extra cooking utensils is across the kitchen so I just keep out the most used items. The silverware is all in drawer that has a built in organizer.

3rd-What small kitchen appliances do you leave out? Well I have more appliances than most people probably have, but I really do use them all on a regular basis. On the main counter I have out the Vita-Mix blender thingy, toaster, stand mixer & food processor, which get used ALOT (especially the processor- I'm all about chopping up veggies super tiny to hide in everything ). On the back counter is the microwave (which Dh refuses to get rid of *sigh*) and my breadmaker. I have stored away the coffeemaker, the extra parts to my food processor & mixer and my second breadmaker (yes I use 2!).

4th-bulletin boards look cluttered to me. so does magnets on the refrig. If I put notes etc in a basket I'll never remember them. What do you guys do with notes, etc? We have a nice big chalkboard mounted on a wall next to the phone. Its on a small wall that isn't *right in your face* when you walk in, but still easily accessable, if you kwim? I do have one side of the fridge that I keep photos, invitations, dd's drawings, etc on but it is also not on the side that you see when you walk into the kitchen or on the front. I am thinking of getting one of those ribbon boards though, and mounting it to the fridge with magnets. Heck I may do that today

5th-Shoes. We live on a farm so the boys/dh all have a couple of different types of boots, plus tennis shoes. When they are muddy what do you do with them? Then how do you keep them neat and organized so you're not tripping on the @@#$%^&** things? We also have lots of coats (working outside coats, good coats, rain coats, lighter jackets) and really do need the variety living in Missouri. Well our shoes aren't usually muddy, but frequently have pine needles stuck all over them since we live in a wooded area. We have a fairly strict no shoes rule in our home, so I had to figure out some way to organize our shoes in the entry. We keep ALL our shoes in the entry, otherwise its too easy to forget and walk through the house with them on. I just used a cheap wood shoe organizer from Target and have a chair next to it for sitting on to remove your shoes. There are actual pieces of furniture that I've seen at Target, IKEA etc, that are a bench with shoe storge underneath that eventually I'd like to get when I can afford it. If your shoes are really muddy, what about some sort of labeled metal or plastic bins that you could keep in your entry closet (if you have one)?

For the coats what about a coat rack mounted to the wall? I think I've actually seen one that you can put labels on for each family member and there is a little cubby for each person too. They can put gloves, keys, etc in those cubbies. I think I saw it in Real Simple magazine but I'm not sure.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#13 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where do you store your bread, muffins, buns, etc?
Our bread is stored in a drawer near the refrigerator. (We don't have the humidity problems that pp's have.) Surplus bread is stored in the deep-freeze.

Do you keep your utensils in a crock or in the drawer?
My utensils are in a crock, and the crock stays in a cupboard near the stove. (My soup ladle is too big to fit in a drawer. )

What small kitchen appliances do you leave out?
None. (But then, I only own a Crock-pot, blender, and toaster, so they are not that hard to assign permanent homes. )

What do you do with notes, etc?
If they are notes that need to be signed and returned to school, I sign them and put them in the appropriate backpack. If they are appointments, et cetera, I put them on the calendar that lives on the side of the fridge. Grocery lists go in a book of lists that stays in my purse. (I know, it sounds bizarre, but it helps me to make fewer shopping trips if I keep all my lists together in one place.) I have a clear, magnetic photo collage frame that I got from Chinaberry to keep photos corralled.

Shoes.
I limit the number of shoes my kids have, which helps. But living in Montana, we wear big ol' Sorel snowboots 9 months out of the year , so I know what it's like to be tripping over them. My solution is to have nothing else on the floor of the entryway closet but a barrel where hats & mitts go, and footwear. (I am going to try the rug idea, though.) We also have a boot brush on the front stoop, and people are "encouraged" : to brush off their muddy shoes before entering the house.

My mum and dad live on a ranch, and they have this "boot hanger thingy" made of horseshoes to hang irrigation boots on. (The boots hang upside down from their heels....I can't explain it, but it works, )

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#14 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
sapphire_chan - A tray filled with stones is a good resting spot for muddy/damp shoes.
Now that's a great idea.

The only thing I have to share is for shoes. Right now at the top of my stairs I have an import looking basket, maybe for laundry? We use it for shoes, just throw them in disorganized, but out of the way. I have wire cubicles I put my sons toys in from Costco, I think these might work well for muddy boots.........in the garage or outside.
#15 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 06:33 PM

I haven't read all other responses so sorry for any repetition.

First question-where do you store your bread, muffins, buns, etc?

In the freezer, defrosted a day batch or meal batch at a time.

Drawer - with a special divider from IKEA

I like to have everything off the counter as much as possible. Some seasons I leave the juicer out because we juice so frequently.

4th-bulletin boards look cluttered to me.

We use a monstrous ex-office whiteboard. It runs lengthways down the wall (about 5 ft X 4 ft). The bottom section has the kids' play magnets. The top section has our photos and calendars. The middle section is for phone messages. Mega-magnet bulldog clips hold bills and receipts. A smaller whiteboard inside the pantry door has the shopping list.

5th-Shoes.

We have a dedicated closet with a Walmart shoerack that hangs from the inner door.
#16 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 06:44 PM

First question-where do you store your bread, muffins, buns, etc? I have a bread box

2nd ?-Do you keep your utensils in a crock or in the drawer? in one of those organizer things in the drawer

3rd-What small kitchen appliances do you leave out? can opener, toaster, coffee maker

4th-bulletin boards look cluttered to me. so does magnets on the refrig. If I put notes etc in a basket I'll never remember them. What do you guys do with notes, etc? I have a little area set aside in a bin by the computer that I go through or I make a note on the note pad on my pc

5th-Shoes. We live on a farm so the boys/dh all have a couple of different types of boots, plus tennis shoes. When they are muddy what do you do with them? Then how do you keep them neat and organized so you're not tripping on the @@#$%^&** things? We also have lots of coats (working outside coats, good coats, rain coats, lighter jackets) and really do need the variety living in Missouri. - Shoe organizer
#17 of 21 Old 05-31-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I got a nice, silver/metal breadbox as a gift. It sits on my counter and what doesn't fit in it goes on it. Works pretty well.

Quote:
drawer, definitely! Two drawers actually. One for silverware, and one for all the "big" utensils.

Quote:
Coffee pot, toaster.

5th-Shoes. We live on a farm so the boys/dh all have a couple of different types of boots, plus tennis shoes. When they are muddy what do you do with them? Then how do you keep them neat and organized so you're not tripping on the @@#$%^&** things? We also have lots of coats (working outside coats, good coats, rain coats, lighter jackets) and really do need the variety living in Missouri.

OK that's enough from me for now. Answer any or all you feel like but please answer LOL.[/QUOTE]
#18 of 21 Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 AM

Magnets don't stick to our frig so I have a large bulletin board, I found cork rolls on-line, sorry, it was awhile ago, can't remember where. And made a custom sized board behind the door, so it is handy but out of sight because the door is usually open (door to the living room)
#19 of 21 Old 06-01-2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
on the counter, I need to get a breadbox or something so it's less cluttered looking

Quote:
in 2 drawers (I have a lot : )

Quote:
coffee maker, toaster and my kitchen aid mixer. I want the counter less cluttered but toaster and coffee maker are used everyday and the kitchen aid is too heavy to lift often so I just leave it out

Quote:
We have problems here with that too, magnets everywhere and mail/notes all over the counter

Quote:
large plastic bin in the floor of the hall closet. All shoes go in there, if they are muddy they are taken off outside the front door and then tapped/shaken off, when they are clean enough to bring in they go in the bucket. All coats are hung in the same closet
#20 of 21 Old 06-01-2006, 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=mommaof3boz]

In a drawer. We have one deep drawer that is perfect for bread.

Silverware and serving spoons in a drawer but most utensils in a crock

Kitchenaid mixer, toaster, and coffee pot.

I haven't been keeping up with this (ahem) but it did work. I got a hole punch -I need a new one-and I put it all in a binder.

5th-Shoes.

for shoes I like shelves. I've seen boot trays at Dollar General around here. I'm sure other places would have them too.

For coats I like hooks. This is especially a challenge at my house b/c I have limited wall space and no mudroom or entryway
#21 of 21 Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:

In a large flat Ethiopian basket on the counter.

Quote:
In a drawer

Quote:
None. Only the microwave is kept out. Everything else- toaster, coffee maker, etc. is stored in a lower cabinet.

Quote:
We have a small bulletin board next to the phone. We also have a hanging bill holder/key holder hanging on an upper cabinet.

Quote:
I really struggle with shoes, too. Usually we try to keep just one or two pairs next to the door. As for coats, we have a bench with coat hooks on one side of the door. On the other side of the door we have a closet. So there is room for lots of coats near the door. I store out of season coats in an extra closet.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page