Organizing Bills - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

I'm going to be doing all the bills now instead of my dh and was wondering what the best way to organize is. Any thoughts?
#2 of 15 Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 PM

I gave them to MY dh to organize.
#3 of 15 Old 05-30-2006, 11:58 PM

First I throw away the envelopes. Then I date the inserts that come with the credit bill. Then I check every 2 days what needs to be paid, either by opening the computer drawer, or looking online.

I file paid bills in the filing cabinet, and 3 or 4 times a year, I throw out old statements / bills that I don't need, keeping just 6 months or so, I keep any credit card statements connected with DH business expenses for 7 years.

I also work it out on paper, what my paychecks (2 a month) will be, and what gets paid with what check
#4 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 AM

I put the bills in 2 folders as they come in - (due dates of 1st-15th & 16th-31st)

I divided up the bills as evenly as I could (and with some I needed to call and change the due date, which was no problem)

then I pay them every other friday.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#5 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 08:27 AM

I throw the outside envelope away and put the bill inside the return envelope. Put it into a folder in my desk drawer in order of it's due date. Every Friday I go through what is due before the next payday.
#6 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 09:09 AM

I set up everything to be automatically paid.
#7 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 AM

I leave them in the mailbox for a few days to ignore them, then I bring them inside and put them in a pile until they scare me and some of them are late, then I pay them. : :
#8 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 09:32 AM

I use my credit union's online bill pay, but dont' do them automatically, I schedule the payments manually. There's no fee from the credit union to do this.

As far as the bills themselves, I toss the outer and inner envelopes, and I have a cheapo monthly calendar "planner", and I shove the bill into the appropriate month's pages. I have all the due dates pre-written (I do 3-4 months at a time) in on the calendar (it's also where I track one-time misc bills, appointments, bdays, and other stuff) so I just check it once a week or so and then pay whatever needs to be paid. I can't remember the last time I wrote out a check, but when I did paper checks, I did essenaitlly the same thing but kept the outer envelopes.

Once bills are paid, I write the date, amount paid, and electronic confirmation number on the bill (used to write the check # when I did paper checks), and file it in an accordian file. The accordian file is for the current year's bills, and then anything that isn't tossed after a year goes into our big filing cabinet, until it's time to toss that.

I would highly suggest looking into an online bill pay feature through your bank if I were you, though I don't know that I'd pay a fee for it, necessarily - unless that monthly fee would be the same or less than I'd be paying for postage to mail out the payments anyway. Most online bill pays I think you can still do manually if you want, as opposed to auto withdrawls...auto withdrawls still freak me out for some reason, I like to have control. The only thing we have on auto withdrawl is our insurances, as we get a discount doing that.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#9 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 AM

My bank has a free online bill pay. some bills we have setup to pay automatically - others we actually log in and specify when the check should be sent each month

But regardless of using the online billing, writing checks, etc. I found it really handy to make a chart. The rows are the common bills. The columns are months. Then as each bill is paid I put a little checkmark on the chart. This way its really obvious if I missed paying a bill or if maybe we never received a bill we should have gotten. I also have a couple of bills that I only have to pay every 3 months, so I just have the non-paying months blacked out on the chart.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#10 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 PM

I use the bank's bill pay too... love it!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#11 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 12:58 PM

I have a file for "to be paid" bills, and files for each type of bill after payment, mortgage, phone, utilities, etc. and a misc file for all others, I check the to be paid file every week ( I also write the due dates on my calendar for the really important ones-mortgage and car note--Im slightly anal about it, so that helps) then when I pay the bill, I file it in the file...and it's done. Every once in a while I clear out old bills. I actually like paying bills. I know, I am odd.
#12 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 01:46 PM

We only get 4 bills and I pay them as they arrive. Nothing to organize! Much easier.

Rent, water, electric, phone.
#13 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I have started to pay my bills on line and I like that. I do find it hard to keep all the bills together but like the idea of putting the due dates on a calander. Perhaps I can find somewhere a calandar that has pockets for each month that way I can just stick them in there and then toss the thing at the end of each year. Any idea where I might be able to find something like that? I also like the idea of the columns and rows for each bill. Dh mentioned something like that so he'll like it if I implement that.

Now, which bills do you keep past a year?
#14 of 15 Old 05-31-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace
Thanks for your responses. I have started to pay my bills on line and I like that. I do find it hard to keep all the bills together but like the idea of putting the due dates on a calander. Perhaps I can find somewhere a calandar that has pockets for each month that way I can just stick them in there and then toss the thing at the end of each year. Any idea where I might be able to find something like that? I also like the idea of the columns and rows for each bill. Dh mentioned something like that so he'll like it if I implement that.

Now, which bills do you keep past a year?
You know, I looked for a calendar with pockets and couldn't find one, so I just went with a regular planner that's big enough to fit the length and width of all our bills, even if folded up - since it's planted on my desk every day, I don't worry much about stuff falling out. I also put a checkmark on the calendar next to the things as I pay them. I do remember before I got the calendar I did a check-off grid too that I made in Excel (had a column for date, amt, and check#, and rows were the bills - each month was like a separate box), and liked that a lot, too - oh, then I was using a 3-ring notebook that had pockets to stuff the bills in (one was for unpaid and one was for paid, then every once in a while I'd file the paid ones), and I had the grid printed out for 6 months at a time and taped to one of the pockets. I feel really anal writing and reading over that, but I guess that's just the way I am about bills. WAY relaxed in most every other aspect of my life, but not bills......

As far as what to keep and how long, I had a linky with a list of what to keep, but I don't seem to have it...lemme see if I can find it quick....

ahhh, here we go:
Financial Documents

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#15 of 15 Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 PM

I bought one of those organizers that has the slots for the dates and then I take each bill out of its envelope when it arrives and put it in there. I also have color coded (yellow for dh and orange for me) envelopes inserted where we will be getting paid that month so that I can see when the money will come in, in relation to when the bills are due. I also have a print out sheet that I date every month that I print out at the beginning of the month that is a check off list so that I know the bills have been paid. It's organized by dates that we are paid and the dates that the bills are due. I sit down with dh at the beginning of each month and we plan the budget .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page