Yard sale this weekend!!!!! Who else???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-30-2006, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who else is having a yard sale this weekend?

Think of all the things leaving the garage, the closets, the toy chests, the kitchen, the shed, the bedrooms! I get all flush just thinking about it

What doesn't sell is going to Goodwill or the dump! It's leaving the house for good!

Who is with me?
#2 of 28 Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 PM

Well we're having one NEXT weekend. It's my first yard sale EVER!! We're hoping to get rid of a bunch of stuff and we need the money really bad!! Would have been this weekend but we missed the advertising deadline. So, next weekend instead!
#3 of 28 Old 05-31-2006, 12:27 AM

We are doing one next weekend (June 9th) but I am getting started today and tomorrow (my brother is getting married Friday, so we have rehersal and stuff Thursday and Friday this week). After that, I plan to keep tackling one thing at a time. Today I did all of my clothes and the girls' clothes Now I need DH's clothes and then on to the junk piled in my "craft closet" EEEEKKK!
#4 of 28 Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Doesn't it feel soooooo good to get rid of this STUFF?!?!?!?

I actually can't wait for tommorrow! I am afraid if I stop I'l never start again and I'll be found, years from now, buried under crib sheet, hot wheels and tacky lamps.
#5 of 28 Old 05-31-2006, 01:40 PM

We're having one this Saturday. Almost done getting everything ready!
#6 of 28 Old 05-31-2006, 01:48 PM

OH, I'm so excited & mine is a month away....

I hope y'all do well & get rid of lots of stuff. I told DH that I didn't even care about making money at this point. I just want the stuff OUT of my house. Forever!

I can't wait....

#7 of 28 Old 05-31-2006, 02:04 PM

Good luck everyone!
#8 of 28 Old 06-01-2006, 12:32 AM

I had one last weekend and I'm going to have another one on the 15th with the left overs. I'm taking a break this weekend to continue to go through the house so I might even have more for my next yard sale. Whatever is left after that is getting donated to St. Vincent's.

Good luck everyone! It's nice to be able to clear out and get some extra money too : I paid a bill with last week's profits.
#9 of 28 Old 06-01-2006, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

I attacked the closets today. Got rid of the clothes. : I am not sure how to price them for the YS - thinking either $0.50 per item for kids stuff and $1.00 for the nicer, name brand stuff. Not sure how to price books either. 0.50 a kids book and a buck for a grown up book.

Anybody got any more pricing ideas? This is the one thing I loathe about Yard Sales -
#10 of 28 Old 06-03-2006, 04:13 PM

Best of luck to all you yard-sellin' mamas -- may many dollars flow towards you and much clutter away from you!!!

I hope to host my first yard sale ever in a few weeks but need help with pricing. Any advice from the experienced mamas will be most appreciated! I don't really know where to begin with prices because I stopped going to yard sales a few years ago as I was bringing way too much stuff back to my ever-so-cluttered teeny, tiny home. Is there a magic formula to use when determining the price of things or should I just price everything rock bottom in the hopes of getting it the heck out of here? We have a lot of baby things to get rid of (swing, bouncer, pack 'n play, infant seat -- all this kind of stuff was never or rarely used due to our ap style of parenting) loads of baby clothes, books, toys, music cds, misc. items.

Again, any advice will be most appreciated -- thank you kindly!!!
#11 of 28 Old 06-03-2006, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

well . . . the sale was today! I only made about $100 total but I got rid of a lot of stuff! My prices were pretty cheap and my goal was to elminate stuff over making money.I just wanted it ALL GONE. We did save some leftover for goodwill. At the end of the day, we marked some things "free" and they are all gone this evening! Saved me from hauling to the dump!
#12 of 28 Old 06-03-2006, 11:50 PM

Ours is a townwide sale on June 17th. I have a huge pile of stuff and nothing is coming back into the house. If it doesn't sell it goes to the Salvation Army or will be left on the porch with a "free" sign attached. I can't wait to have it all gone!!!

Congrats on your $100. What ya gonna do with it?

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#13 of 28 Old 06-05-2006, 09:37 AM

Abclan - congrats... That sounds like the perfect sale to me. I just want to get rid of the stuff & don't care about the profit.

I did *NOTHING* this weekend to prep for mine. NADA. : Lazybones!

I've got to get on the ball. Your success is my inspiration.
#14 of 28 Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Jessica - I am ashamed I was not creative in spending my cash. I put $60 in my gas tank, $15 on fish tacos for dinner and the rest in my wallet.
$100 ain't what it used to be . . . . sigh :

Good luck to the rest of you! Leet us know how it goes!
#15 of 28 Old 06-07-2006, 03:22 PM

DH is in for a rude awakening when I start hauling stuff out of the basement. I plan on using my earnings for shelving for the basement (for canning jars and gardening supplies)

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#16 of 28 Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 PM

We've been prepping!! I'm really at a loss as to how to price some things too. I don't know what mark name-brand kids clothes especially. We also have a bunch of Carter's sleeper things (sleep & play). I don't know what to mark those either.

We really aren't anywhere near getting all of the stuff together though. I've been getting baby clothes ready but I need a kick in the butt to clear out the crap in the rest of the house!

I'm SOOOOOO hoping it doesn't rain this weekend b/c we don't have a garage therefore it truly is a YARD sale and if it rains I will be very

NOOOO : Friday and Saturday!!!!
#17 of 28 Old 06-08-2006, 09:02 AM

Hey Northwoods> We, are having one on Saturday. My gf is coming to help and my dh is taking the kids to the inlaws so we can put it all out on Fri. It is a whole lot of clothes and toys mostly and the kids are very attatched to their stuff. I really am lookin foreward to this although it's hard because they just dont understand how much we need to loose this stuff.
I too hope it doesnt Rain! No garage here either!
I want to get those stickers for pricing since it's faster.
I think you can sell your Carters for about 3$ a piece -since it's a yardsale
I just want it gone so i price to sell.
Otherwise, you will be left packing it up which is time.
Clothing is similar. I wont sell any piece over 4 dollars i think.

good luck!!!
#18 of 28 Old 06-08-2006, 10:01 AM

I'm working up to one in a few weeks, I'm pricing everything ridiculously low and getting rid of it all...can't wait.

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#19 of 28 Old 06-08-2006, 03:01 PM

Lauraess--Yeah I'm a little worried about DS. He got this extremely loud super obnoxious Wiggles car as a gift (he's never even seen the Wiggles show) and I really wanted to sell it at the yard sale but he saw it go into the box--and FREAKED!! "My Car!!! My car!!!" SO, I guess the wiggles car is staying for now---we'll see if I can sneak it out! He never even plays with it anyway. We don't have anyone around here to watch the kids so he's going to be here.

I saw the stickers you are talking about--I really wish I would have just gotten those--I'm such a cheapskate I bought the plain ones b/c they were .25 cheaper. :

Good luck to everyone having a sale this weekend!

I should be pricing right now!!
#20 of 28 Old 06-08-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoods1995
Lauraess--Yeah I'm a little worried about DS. He got this extremely loud super obnoxious Wiggles car as a gift (he's never even seen the Wiggles show) and I really wanted to sell it at the yard sale but he saw it go into the box--and FREAKED!! "My Car!!! My car!!!" SO, I guess the wiggles car is staying for now---we'll see if I can sneak it out! He never even plays with it anyway. We don't have anyone around here to watch the kids so he's going to be here.

I saw the stickers you are talking about--I really wish I would have just gotten those--I'm such a cheapskate I bought the plain ones b/c they were .25 cheaper. :

Good luck to everyone having a sale this weekend!

I should be pricing right now!!
Well, I managed to do a little gathering of things yesterday but with the kids around it's impossible. so, much of it will have to be done the night before.
As for the stickers, I didnt even realize they had them pre-marked! of course, I would be buying the cheaper ones myself and marking them but now that you mention it maybe i will look for the marked ones to save time.
#21 of 28 Old 06-08-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Fence
DH is in for a rude awakening when I start hauling stuff out of the basement. I plan on using my earnings for shelving for the basement (for canning jars and gardening supplies)
My poor sleep deprived brain read this as "earrings"--TWICE. I was like, "how's that work?"

We are helping with a yard sale this weekend, and having one later this month.
#22 of 28 Old 06-09-2006, 08:19 PM

We are having one this weekend! I am so excited. usually my yard sales are last minute things when the neighbors have thiers... I end up with one little table of stuff after running around the house. The first year of the last minute one day yard sale got me $30, the second $50.

This time I have loads of stuff, have been preparing for about a month. We will ahve it set up two days. The kids are getting rid of about 1/2 the toys! I let them choose what to get rid of, to make it easier on them (and me : )

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#23 of 28 Old 06-10-2006, 12:22 AM

Serenetabbie: Imagine that! we're both having yard sales!!! I only managed to get Annaleee to willingly part with 4 items. Aidan couldnt see his way out of his area and he DOES not want to part with anything.

It's 11:10 I have priced a bunch of stuff and have more to do. I MAY get some of it put out tonight or get up real early. I have to anyway- I'm going to work at 8:30 and will be back at 11:00. My freind is going to be here bright and early to help

Good lUck!
#24 of 28 Old 06-10-2006, 08:56 AM

: Hey Lauress! How's it going? I am heading out as soon as I finish my coffee It's 8 am here, been up since 6:30 finishing up. The sale is supposed to start at 9, but you know there are always early birds.

#25 of 28 Old 06-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Well... it wasnt all that great for us. My dh sold this giant 'tool box' and made like a hundred but besides that my friend and I only sold a few small things. Yea, then theres the set of out-door furniture that came from my inlaws that we're holding for another friend. She will buy it buy that wouldnt be our $$. I put some of the stuff back in boxes to try again another day, and I'm heading to the Good will in a minute with the rest.

Oh well, at least my freind and i got to hang out a bit!
#26 of 28 Old 06-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Mine was pretty bad too. I made $5 We only had 3 people stop! I think the weather here kept a lot of people away, it was overcast, windy and cool all morning. I am going out in the Am to check the signs, hang new ones at a few other spots and will try again tomorrow! It's supposed to be nicer weather.

#27 of 28 Old 06-10-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie
Mine was pretty bad too. I made $5 We only had 3 people stop! I think the weather here kept a lot of people away, it was overcast, windy and cool all morning. I am going out in the Am to check the signs, hang new ones at a few other spots and will try again tomorrow! It's supposed to be nicer weather.
Okay, I'm happy to say that the outdoor furniture that we sold for the inlaws was really advantageous to us since they 'donated' it towards our family.
I'll have to try the good will tomarro since when i got there they were closed and dont take drop-offs after hours. My car is stuffed with boxes and bags so thats a good thing.
#28 of 28 Old 06-11-2006, 02:33 PM

Wow, well that is great Laura! So you got to keep the cash for holding the furniture? Awesome!

I tripled my sales today... to $15 $7 went to DS and $2 to DD for sale of thier items, and I keep the rest (Whoo hooo, don't let me spend it all at once).

I found out from a neighbor who stopped by that the street above us (one of the 5 in the whole town) will have a group yard sale on the 24th. Since I have everything tagged and ready to go, we will just throw everything back out again then

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page