vaccumm quest - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok ill admit it... im a bit hard on small appliances... but im having a heck of a time finding a vaccum to last... my dirtdevill bagless is maybe 6 mos old and was SMOKING today...
in my defense i use it for about 1400 sq ft of carpet atleast 1x day... we are talking cheerios dirt etc... and im notorious for not picking little stuff up by hand before... im 7 mos pgnt w. twins...

i need an upright model... i love the bagless concept...

i know im going to have to spend more then 75$....(lol)

what do you like.... dyson? clark? kirby? i have 2 kids with severe asthama so i need it alot plus i have 5 soon to be 7 kids... so being w. out one isnt really an option...

i love my hoover steamvac and my hoover floormate... but i dont use those daily.....

thanks and sorry about the typing errors... the kids are driving me nuts today... and its a very short drive...

**also had this posted on the sahm forum**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 AM

Dyson hands down. ive tried almost every vacuum out there. you will NEVER regret it.
#3 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Definitely go for a Dyson, you can also get them with HEPA filters for your asthmatic kiddos, for not that much more.

And I second that Dirt Devil vacuums are POS's! Ours broke after 9 months as well, and I had thrown out the registration stuff in a cleaning frenzy thinking that I had spent a decent amount that would be reliable...

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#4 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would recommend going to a specialty vacuum store if you have one in your area. I bought my Panasonic at the local vacuum shop here and the guy was totally knowledgable about all the different brands and styles. He helped me pick out the best one for us.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#5 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
p.s

I love my electrolux with Hepa filter. It's quiet (can talk on the phone at the same time as vacuuming), is so cute (looks like a pet), and best of all, DS is so fascinated by it that he will watch quietly from his Ergo perch while I vacuum the whole house.
#6 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 03:19 AM

Another vote for Dyson! I really love how easy it is to clean.
#7 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 09:15 AM

I have an unhealthy attachment to my dyson... I love it so much!

good witch
#8 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 12:36 PM

Another vote for the Dyson here. We have 3 cats and a long-haired dog, and it works beautifully.
#9 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 01:21 PM

I love me a Dyson! I would curl up next to mine naked if I didn't have a dh. Heck! I'd curl up next to mine naked if I wasn't worried I'd get caught and set to a loony bin!
#10 of 17 Old 06-05-2006, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

which dyson...
they seem to have a purple or yellow model
#11 of 17 Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Has anyone ever owned a Bissell?

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#12 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 01:50 PM

I LOVE LOVE my yellow Dyson. I think the purple one is for those with pets...
#13 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 02:41 PM

I adore my Dyson, and we're hard on vacuums also. (Four kids 7 and under; carpet in the eating area, three cats, we vacuum at least every day.)

Here's the deal with the colors - the colors tell you which attachments package it comes with, but there is no difference in the actual vacuum. For my needs I found that the red package ("Low-Floor Model"is the best, though what I actually did was buy a yellow one and then buy the low-floor attachment, but it's as if I bought the red one, if that makes sense The low-floor tool is fabulous and basically turns the vacuum into the equivalent of a canister. It allows you to clean hard floors very easily. I vacuum my hallway and kitchen with it, and use the regular upright mode for our living room, dining room, and playroom carpets.

I got a refurbished one via Amazon.com because it was cheapest, and I've been very happy with it and also with Dyson's customer service. There are a number of little parts that disconnect so you can unclog it yourself if you suck something up that sticks...it takes a little getting used to, but I'm feeling really competent about troubleshooting it now. If the suction gets weak it's just about always because something is stuck somewhere along the line (I suck up too-big things sometimes too). But it's really easy to fix. I love that the 800# is printed on the side of it (LOL)...I've only used it once but it makes me feel secure.

I am pretty frugal and I felt it was worth the $$. I paid about $360 for mine total, the yellow model with the separate low-floor attachment and shipping.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#14 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 PM

I vote Dyson too--- I got mine discounted online.

But I have to say.....as a cheaper alternative, I do like my husbandds Rigid brand 5.0 hp shop vac as much--sometimes MORE---mostly because the suction is as strong as my dyson & the hose is wider--so I can suck up the bigger things that I have around!! (Like scraps of fire wood--dried up clay/ playdough etc.) And I think it was @ $75...maybe even less.
#15 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout
ok ill admit it... im a bit hard on small appliances...
That's me too!!

I also seem to go through appliances, such as vacuums (and irons and blowdriers...strangely two appliances I rarely use . I have fried several dirt devils and I know I didn't vaccum as often then as I do now.

I recently bit the bullet and went to Sears and spent way more on a vacuum then I ever thought I would. But it was well worth it (I got a Kenmore). It works like a dream and gets up all the pet hair that my other cheapo vacuum was leaving. It's not a bagless though. The salesman steered me away from bagless because I have pets.

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :
#16 of 17 Old 06-09-2006, 05:47 PM

I just went through researching vacuums. I got a one month sub to Consumer Reports online. Let me know if ya want me to look up a model for ya.

Unfortunately, the ratings are not very new so it doesn't cover the latest styles.

I just bought a brand new (just released new model) Eureka Altima bagless with a HEPA filter. It was $90 at Target and then I got 10% off cuz my friend opened a charge account. heh. (i actually had to borrow money from him in order to get this vac).
I'll be using it later (I hope) so I'll come back and let you how it went.
Oh, btw, my floors right now are TRASHED. There's tons of dried up pieces of Playdoh on it as well as crumbs and other junk. I haven't vacuumed for at least a week so if this vac doesn't blow up tonight, I'll give it a thumbs up. rofl.
#17 of 17 Old 06-09-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glover_Girls
I recently bit the bullet and went to Sears and spent way more on a vacuum then I ever thought I would. But it was well worth it (I got a Kenmore). It works like a dream and gets up all the pet hair that my other cheapo vacuum was leaving. It's not a bagless though. The salesman steered me away from bagless because I have pets.
Me too. I got tired of my vacuums not lasting more than a year. If you added up all of the $150 vacuums I've thrown away over the years.. well, I should have spent the money on a real vacuum years ago. I love my Kenmore.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page