How do I clean house with a clingy 9 month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried having DH or my sister watch DS while I clean, which used to work fine, but now he howls for me, he seems to be going through a separation anxiety phase. I can do some housework while carrying him in the Ergo, but only certain things (like vacuuming). It's not really possible to sort through piles or boxes of stuff while carrying him because he is so grabby and wants to play with all the pretty paper or whatever. It's physically very hard to do things where I need to crouch and get up while carrying him (such as picking up things from the floor or scrubbing the bathtub or toilet). I can't even do housework when DS is sleeping because he somehow knows I am not by his side any longer and he wakes up (but I am able to do my computer & paperwork stuff by his side, so at least the financial side of our household management is in good shape).

How do you other mamas do it?
#2 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 AM

Have you tried carrying him on your back? It at least frees your hands and front up to get things done. I had a couple of clingy boys too, so I can understand how hard it is.
#3 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 08:44 AM

I agree with carrying him on your back. I have an Onbuhimo that I love and worked well when DD was smaller and wanted to be held while I was doing housework!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#4 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 AM

I used a Baby Bjorn, a sling and a hiking backpack. I swear I would get up in the morning and strap my girl on and only take her off for diaper changes and bedtime!
#5 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 AM

It's also ok to let some housework slide or have dh pick up more slack when your babe is still so little.
#6 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 AM

Back carries in a podeagi would be easy too!
#7 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 01:33 PM

All over that back-pack idea Jr. used to sleep in there when I would vacuum and clean house.
#8 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I can do some housework while carrying him in the Ergo, but only certain things (like vacuuming). It's not really possible to sort through piles or boxes of stuff while carrying him because he is so grabby and wants to play with all the pretty paper or whatever.
Front or back?
#9 of 17 Old 06-01-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I've been carrying him on the front while I'm indoors, I always worry I'll whack his head on a door or something, but it sounds like I need to practice that indoor back carry

DH does a lot, he does the dishes and laundry every night (including the diapers!) so I can't complain. I just need to do those things like the kitchen floor, the bathroom, and deal with all the clutter everywhere (we moved here 6 mos ago and we still haven't even unpacked some things yet, and a lot of things don't have a "place to go" yet)
#10 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi
DH does a lot, he does the dishes and laundry every night (including the diapers!) so I can't complain. I just need to do those things like the kitchen floor, the bathroom, and deal with all the clutter everywhere (we moved here 6 mos ago and we still haven't even unpacked some things yet, and a lot of things don't have a "place to go" yet)
wow, good for you!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#11 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 05:48 PM

Simple answer: I didn't.

I thought that once I had my babies and stayed home I'd get all kinds of work done......got hardly anything done. I know it's hard. Hang in there.
#12 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 07:16 PM

I use back carries often, but honestly, a lot still doesn't get done. If I put DD on my back for dishes, laundry, food prep and cleanup, sweeping (I don't vacuum with her because it is too loud) . . .all of which are daily and ONGOING, then man, I simply don't have time for the decluttering with her there, too. I can't do gardening or any kind of cleaning that requires me to stay bent since she gets mad about that.

Thankfully, now we have a basement. That is Decluttering Central. I know I can do little bits here and there without having to actually live with the excess. (However, I detest going down to the basement and can't WAIT until I can make a big dent in it.)

Oh, and I have wacked her head. It has happened when she is leaning out a little and I'm not aware that she's doing it . . .

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#13 of 17 Old 06-04-2006, 12:25 AM

I had the same frustration when my daughter was that age, up until very recently (she is now 17 months).

Just relax and do what you can. Very soon, he will want to "help out" with everything. Try and involve him in what you're doing as much as possible and change as often as possible (maybe sweep one room then mop just that room - have an extra smaller broom and mop for him, then do just a few dishes while he plays in the water, then put groceries away while he plays with empty boxes or paper bags, then start over with a different room, etc., maybe scrub just half of the bathtub at a time or scrubbing it while you take a bath together and give him a sponge too)

By doing this, and most of all just giving up and following my daughter's pace for the last couple of months when she needed me more, I am now able to get much more done around the house.

Good luck!
#14 of 17 Old 06-04-2006, 12:39 AM

I did part of the cleaning today without a sling.

I had her in th eMoby because I still haven't practice the back carry in the mei tai.

So, I put her on the bedroom floor near my suitcase, which was full of clothes and some of her toys. She had a blast taking everything out of the suitcase. Meanwhile, I made up the bed, the cosleeper, worked out with hand weights and did a little de-cluttering.

Every now and then she'd look up at me and smile. She played with a bookmark for about 15 minutes.

Getting to exercise was exciting to me!
#15 of 17 Old 06-04-2006, 08:57 PM

I have a grabbing stick that I use to help pick up things on the floor while carrying a baby. don't get the gopher brand at Target and many other stores, Two of those broke on me. I finally bought one from Ace Hardware that is a lot sturdier. Now if i could get my autistic son to leave the rubber pads on that help hold things (he twirls with them), I'd be in really great shape.
#16 of 17 Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 AM

It will pass.
#17 of 17 Old 07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
p.s

DS LOVES LOVES LOVES the vaccuum cleaner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page