What about books? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am never sure if I should purge books or not. We have lots and lots of books because I fancy the idea of one day having a "library" in our hosue. Too many movies? Who knows. How do you mamas feel about keeping/discarding books?
#2 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 02:27 PM

I don't discard books, but I do use paperbackswap.com to exchange books I no longer want. It's like a big revolving library with no late fees!
#3 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 03:45 PM

We definately purge books. Otherwise, the house would overflow! By getting rid of books (just 10%!) you will find treasures you "always meant to read".

And thanks for the bookswap link!
#4 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM

We have 1 bookshelf with books that are 'keepers', I purged the rest years ago and utilize the public library for reading material now.
#5 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 PM

We purge fiction. Non-fiction less so, but I do get rid of stuff that isn't useful or that I've lost interest in.
#6 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 PM

I really don't read a lot. I do a lot of garage sales or the book sale once a year if I do get them
#7 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

What about Great Books? Cold Mountain, Beloved, Bastard Out of Carolina...books I have read but can't bear to get rid of? Should I just get rid of them because I've already read them? I could get them from the library in the future... I'm torn!
#8 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 07:02 PM

I keep the books limited to things I know I will read again with some regularity. The others, I sell on amazon or give away. Mostly I try not to buy books, instead relying on the library or trades with friends.
#9 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 PM

We keep a lot of books (and have a LOT of bookshelves). I grew up in a home with a library (and it wasn't a big house) so having lots of books is so normal to me. We do purge every once in a while and donate the books to our library. Some books I read and really I don't want to ever read them again, classic books included. Then there are others that I know I will want to revisit over and over (I love Farenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, Bridge to Terabithia, and Johnny Tremain for example). Keeping those are worth it. Most books, though, we check out of the library, particularly if it is not one we're going to want to read more than once. IMO, if you love the book keep it.
#10 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 PM

I just decluttered my books (at least the ones that are unpacked). I took what I no longer wanted to the local bookstore and sold them. Some stores will give you cash and others will give you store credit. I think I took 7 boxes of books that weren't being used.

As for the books you have read and will read again. I have a collection that I won't get rid of. I am an avid fan of Anne Rice and have all her books. I will not part with those. My Dh has a collection of his own as does my son.

If you love it, then keep it. Otherwise make room for more wonderful books.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#11 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 PM

I keep those that (a) I love or (b) are hard to find. Otherwise, there's this awesome place a few blocks away that stores millions of books for me, and anytime I'm looking for something in particular, they'll hold it for me and usually have it within a week! (I usually check out at least 20 library books a week.)
#12 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 PM

I have a 4' by 7' book case I built myself with shelves 8 inches deep that holds all my fiction. What I have is copies of books that aren't available at the library and copies of books that I checkout from the library so frequently that it's easier to just have them on hand when I want to re-read. I also have a craftroom to keep said bookcase in, so ymmv.
#13 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 PM

We have tons of books.

Most are not available at the library. We can get them but it's a PITA.

Dh is an academic and I'm a former (maybe future) academic and we really do use the books.

I purge when I can but we still have a lot.
#14 of 18 Old 06-03-2006, 08:46 AM

Books are not clutter. Precious Moments nick knacks are clutter. This is my distinction. Books are useful tools. Knick knacks, silk floral arrangements and thirty year old tack trophies are not.

I have a simple home. I embrace simplicity literally- "what does this add or subtract from my life?" Books add so much to my world! I don't purchase or collect fiction, except the classics (i.e. Jane Austin). I do keep non-ficton of all types for reference, education and spiritual nourishment.

paperbackbookswap.com is a wonderful thing...fiction is fun but rarely is there a fictional novel that warrents keeping. Pass it on and share the wealth. Love it!

good witch
#15 of 18 Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 AM

I'm an academic, and I don't get rid of "work" books. I do donate used paperbacks or hardback fiction to the thrift store. And sometimes I buy books there.

My parents have tons and tons of books and while I love browsing their shelves part of me wishes they'd downsize a bit, because I know they'll put it off until it becomes my job.

I keep anything I love - I read so much that if I didn't reread I'd get so absorbed in whatever new book that my family would never see me. If I reread beloved books I can just get wholly absorbed for ten minutes instead of five hours.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#16 of 18 Old 06-03-2006, 12:19 PM

If I didn't like the book much, I'll usually donate it to the library or give to someone else who wants to give it a read. If I did like the book and would probably end up reading it again one day, I will keep it.
#17 of 18 Old 06-03-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplespirit
Books are not clutter. Precious Moments nick knacks are clutter. This is my distinction. Books are useful tools. Knick knacks, silk floral arrangements and thirty year old tack trophies are not.
I am realizing this is my thought on the subject too. I made a big pile of books to get rid of yesterday. Throughout the day yesterday and today I put back most of them! I used to work at a book store and have lots of books with covers torn off (those were the free ones) and I am thinking I will eliminate those for starters.
#18 of 18 Old 06-05-2006, 08:40 PM

I think that one of my reasons for general decluttering is to make room for books! I am sure we have more than 1000 "keepers" now.

If I know there is no chance I will ever want to reread a particular book, I will put it back into circulation. I sometimes sell them to a used-bookstore, but mainly donate to the library for booksale fundraisers.

My husband's aunt has a shelf near her back door for book giveaways - if a visitor wants a book that is there, it's theirs. If I had more visitors I would do that too.

I don't actually buy books very often. I visit several libraries on a regular basis, and we usually have 20-30 library books on hand: the latest bestsellers, a few piles on some topics I want to research, plus some items DD picks out.

We are building a house soon, and I want to have lots of built-in shelves for books throughout the house. I think everything will look less cluttered with uniform shelving, so we don't have stacks of books on every imaginable surface.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page