Can I get some motivational help from you guys? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-03-2006, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read Nym's thread of her efforts to declutter and I got motivated to organized DD's and my clothes. WELL... I was stoked at being able to do that and I went and threw myself into a HUGE effort of cleaning out the ENTIRE bedroom closet (me and DH's) and now we can't sleep in the bedroom because there is too much stuff everywhere. The thing is....

I have managed to get 3 boxes of trash down to the dumpster, 4 boxes of Thrift Shop donations into the hallway, and one box half way full of my art supplies and photo albums to be placed into the garage once it's full. My ISSUE is that yes, I could toss everything back into a box or two (or 10) and we'd have the room back, but then they would become junk boxes again because there would be SO MUCH stuff in them there would be no way to accurately label them.

I mean, I have pillow covers, and wrenches, and sample packs of advil, and just MISCELLANOUS stuff that if they were in a place easily accesable I KNOW we would use the stuff.

Any help or motivational things to say to get me motivated to finish my mess? DH is tired of sleeping on our chair and I'm tired of sleeping on the couch.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#2 of 7 Old 06-03-2006, 09:50 PM

If I were you, I'd put everything in boxes. Each day, pull out a box and find PERMANENT homes for the stuff in it. Find a drawer where you want to store extra linens, a shelf in the garage where you want to keep tools, a space in the bathroom where you want to keep medication, etc. The next day, pull out the next box!
#3 of 7 Old 06-03-2006, 10:57 PM
nym

I have to admit that I have been living in amongst boxes of stuff.. stuff waiting for people to pick up, stuff that I need to find a home for, stuff that I havent gotten around to doing yet. I really took a look at a lot of this stuff, and if I knew I was going to use it in the future, (like bathroom stuff I stocked up on ) I found creative spots to put it. but otherwise I really had to think about if it was something that worked for me, something I needed, enjoyed, did it give me pleasure.. was it something that my kids honestly would wear (they hate overalls, no point keeping 4 pairs of overalls for them to grow into when they hate overalls..) etc.
Then I put it away. Or put it in a box to go, or whatever..

Anyways.. we still cant eat at the kitchen table.. its covered in stuff!

but.. I feel blessed that you were motivated by my thread

Good Luck
#4 of 7 Old 06-03-2006, 11:45 PM

I've been trying to declutter over the last month or so. I think the only way to do it (because I have been sooooo successful this time, as opposed to how unsuccessful I have been during my many attempts in the past) is to subscribe to the idea of A Place For Everything, And Everything In Its Place.

What I did.......
*Decide the most convenient place to keep things and make a list of where that is.
*If I don't have a good place to keep something, but do need to keep it, I put it on a second list of Organizing Items I Need to Buy. Every paycheck I have purchased one or two that we could afford to squeeze into the budget.
*Anything I come across that we don't use gets placed in a box for the yardsale. We have a townwide sale in two weeks; otherwise I would freecycle or donate everything. Anything that doesn't sell will NOT come back into the house but be taken directly to the Salvation Army or left with a "free" sign on it on the porch.
*I have followed FlyLady's rule to never pull out more than you can go through and put away in an hour's time. Instead of emptying the whole closet I pulled out items one at a time and decided if it was a keeper or seller. If it was to be kept I hung it right back up on one side of the closet and just worked through that way. Drawers were emptied one at a time.
*We just got some new cabinets with additional storage in the kitchen. Instead of pulling everything out of the cupboards to reorganize I used the list I mentioned in the first "*" above to figure out where things should go and every time I used something and cleaned it I placed it in its new home. This might not be possible for you but I would definitely recommend doing it one cabinet at a time.

So decide on a home for all of your belongings first. Then attack the piles and boxes, cupboards and closets.....one at a time! Good luck!

***Yardsale Sidenote: I have created boxes by price to sell at the yardsale so that I won't have to price everything. I'll just group things on tables by price so that I can lable the whole table instead of each individual item. Huge timesaver! Whenever I come across something that will be sold I put it in the appropriate box.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#5 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 12:15 AM

Wow- you need to get some good sleep (and snuggle time)! Make a path to the bed and clear off the bed. Put the 'path' things and the 'bed' things in boxes or something- and commit to working a little on those each day. Congrats on the progress you've made so far!
#6 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 01:59 PM

I would spend one day and get it all done! Today is SUnday, do you have the day off? Can DH help (or at least keep kids out of hte way?) ANd all of that stuff, especially old meds that you think you might one day use, just pitch! Seriously, unless you have a specific place for it in your medicine cabinet. I would decide what will go into the closet first. I took a piece of paper and I would write down everything that needed to be in the closet (well, our girls closet, mine still needs done ). I numbered clothes and stuck to a specific number of each type of clothes. ANd shoes do the same way. I let them keep out a piar of sandles and a pair of tennis shoes. All other shoes that they might need I put in a box on the top shelf, where they can't reach them. Maybe you should get one for out of season shoes and purses? After I had my "keep" clothes in the closet (I also only keep outfits, no more miscellaneous tops or pants), I would put everything else in black trash bags and immediately put in the back of the car (to be donated on my next trip to town). Take the rest of the stuff and just put it in boxes to be gone thru o2-3 per week until it's all done. You should be able to stack the boxes in a corner or even in the closet, if there is room. Good Luck!
#7 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Last night I managed to sort through the clothes even more and actually get them in their respective tubs (for the most part). I can kind of move around in there now. It makes me feel a little better and not so claustraphobic now that I can take about 4 steps without running into another pile of Cr*p!

DH helped a little (as much as I would let him ) because his idea of organizing is tossing all the summer clothes in a box and using MORE boxes because he doesn't want to fold them. : So after a little "tutorial" for him he sorta helped out, but eventually shifted to just handing me the stuff and lifting the tub when it was done.

I'm about to go in there while DH and DD take their nap and maybe polish the clothes off so I can move them into the nice cleared out section in the hallway closet especially for those bins. We might be able to sleep in there tonight! I wish I could get it done in one day, but I've just got no place to put it all and can't afford all the storage containers it would require to do in a day.... but I do agree with the advice you all have given me. And thank you. I think I jumped into this while in a minor bipolar mania and then the mania dissipated before this got done.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page