dvd or vhs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok... like i said we are in the process of moving... we have an elaborate collection of kids dvd's vhs... some duplicates.. my kids dont watch regular tv for the most part...
ds 10 dd 8 ds 5 dd3 dd8 mos and twins due soon...

should i keep the vhs or sell them? the dvd's are much easier to use... find a special scene etc... however vhs are more kid friendly... dvd's take up much less space...

we have entire collections of 'the wiggles. bob the builder, elmo, magic school bus, bananas in pj's" etc....not to mention almost every disney movie on the planet...(cartoon type)....

we have holiday movies... i hate to get rid of those because they are special shows but honestly they are watched 2-3x year??
#2 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 10:59 AM

I'm not sure how great the market for used VHS tapes is... You may not get enough money to make it worth your while. It may be better to donate them to a thrift store or something. We have people constantly pawning off their old VHS tapes on us. Do you know someone who could use them?
#3 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 10:23 PM

We switched to dvd only when our vcr broke (we just didn't replace it). Dvds are smaller; we keep them in a couple of binders (except for box sets). Kids can handle them--my 6.5 year old is quite adept and even the almost 3 year old has learned not to touch the silver side.

Some kid vhs goes for decent prices on ebay; otherwise, perhaps find a local charity that helps kids to donate them to.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#4 of 9 Old 06-06-2006, 09:57 AM

We prefer DVDs. We're planning to donate our VHS tapes to the library.
#5 of 9 Old 06-06-2006, 10:09 AM

Maybe you can copy your vhs tapes to DVD so that you don't miss them?
#6 of 9 Old 06-06-2006, 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=
we have holiday movies... i hate to get rid of those because they are special shows but honestly they are watched 2-3x year??[/QUOTE]

I put all of our Christmas movies, books and music in a seperate rubbermaid box and store them with the Christmas stuff. The rest of our holiday/seasonal books and media I store in a clear box on a closet shelf so that I can rotate them as needed.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#7 of 9 Old 06-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter
We prefer DVDs. We're planning to donate our VHS tapes to the library.
When we switched to DVDs, my local library won't accept VHS tapes, took up too much shelf space
#8 of 9 Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 PM

We use both still as we have a dual vhd/dvd machine. I also still buy vhs tapes at video stores. I say, hang onto what ever the kids watch now/you anticipate the twins wanting to watch and just eliminate as your youngest outgrow them. I don't, personally, see the point in ditching a working vhs tape if you're going to want to replace it with a dvd.
#9 of 9 Old 06-09-2006, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

problem solved... everything went... dvd's and vhs... moving a bit each day... feels great

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page