Get rid of bedskirt?*UPDATE* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-05-2006, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an antique 3/4 (fits a full-sized mattress) Jenny Lind bed:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/church...cd.jpg&.src=ph

I really need to wash the bedskirt and flip the mattress, but I live alone and have no help to do it. I remember when I moved in last year and set up the bed that one person needed to hold the bedskirt straight while someone else put the mattress on top.

I'd really like to get rid of the bedskirt PERIOD! Less to gather dust and drag on the floor, less to get caught in the vacuum. I would just cover the box spring with a cheapo fitted sheet - I did this before when I had another old wood bed. The side rails on this bed are nice wood.

The coverlet is a short one, and I'm just wondering if it would look wierd, but in the olden days, most folks didn't cover their beds down to the floor, if I remember The 1900 House correctly?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tradd

Update: I took the bedskirt off (it needed to be washed in any case) and flipped the mattress - it was MUCH easier than I thought. Here is a picture withOUT the bedskirt. I like it SO much better! Cleaner look, as someone said.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/church...cd.jpg&.src=ph

lady.gif
#2 of 11 Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 PM

The bed is beautiful, and I like the bedskirt. With a skirt you can use under the bed for storage. I live alone and have a queen with a bedskirt. You can flip it by your self, then just put half the bed skirt on one side, kind of shove the rest under the mattress, go to the other side, pull it out and straighten.

I think the skirt adds a nice touch.
#3 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 AM

It's pretty. I would see if you can manage to get it back on before ditching it. On the other hand though, my bed consists of a metal frame and that's a big improvement over my previous mattress & boxspring directly on the floor so I don't have any problem with doing without either!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#4 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 01:24 AM
nym

I'm not a big bedskirt fan.. but its nice. I have to admit I went through your other pics.. You house is nice and simple! I'm going to start a thread for showing off our simple spaces.. you should share
#5 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym
I have to admit I went through your other pics.. You house is nice and simple! I'm going to start a thread for showing off our simple spaces.. you should share
Nym...the funny part is that I've gotten rid of even *more* since I took those pictures! I have to take a new set!

lady.gif
#6 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 AM

You could go either way. It's pretty the way it is.

It is also liberating to let go of stuff that weighs you down. If you got rid of the bed skirt (assuming nothing being under the bed) there would visually be less clutter. The room would appear larger.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#7 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym
I'm going to start a thread for showing off our simple spaces.. you should share
Oooh, please do this. I love to get inspiration from things like this.
#8 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
nym

Yes.. take some new pics! I'm going to vacume and take some of my own..

phroggies.. I started a thread
#9 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 01:02 PM

We had a very similar Jenny Lind bed growing up and we used it at times without a bedskirt. When we move back into our house after remodeling it, I plan to go without a bedskirt too. I think it looks cleaner and it will also be motivation not to store things under the bed.
#10 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 01:10 PM

I love our bed skirt. Its a little more tailored and straight boxy looking, no frills, but it hide stuff great. I store extra blankets in the roll away totes under the bed. That way they are close if you need them yet out of sight and I know right where they are. I think in your case it depends on if you have stuff under the bed.
#11 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. All I currently have under the bed is a plastic shoebox of sheet music and a small rolling suitcase. These could easily go in my one (BIG) closet.

lady.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page