Lets see your simple spaces pics! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 95 Old 06-14-2006, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, here's mine. We have a big 3145 sq ft house, but we only use 4 rooms of it, the living room, the master bedroom (our daughter is in here with us with her toys), the kitchen, and the master bath. We have a lot of storage furniture and baskets under both beds, so it keeps things neat. We love to keep the kitchen counters completely free of stuff.

We're moving next month, and I'm hoping I can keep a 2-bedroom apartment this neat, but hopefully, it won't be that hard since that's really about how much space we use now.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cjmsbj...?.dir=/9525scd
#62 of 95 Old 06-14-2006, 05:33 PM

Wow! And you're moving out because...???
It's beautiful!
#63 of 95 Old 06-14-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestarr
Wow! And you're moving out because...???
It's beautiful!
Thanks!

My husband got a job in Austin. We're in the Dallas area currently. The job is SO much more relaxed than his old one (he started at the end of Feb, they've been letting him work from home while our house was on the market). He's getting to spend a lot more time with our daughter and me.

I did a lot of calculating, and even if we get a nice apartment, it is cheaper to rent in the new area. So, we're looking forward to being in an apartment long-term, which should actually be a GOOD thing, since we take up so little space, and it means so much less maintenance (so, even more family time ).

The only part of the move I'm worried about is that we have stuff in our attics. One has things we are going to eBay. It's stuff we've already committed to selling, grouped it into how it is to be sold, and chosen boxes, so it WILL be sold, just when is the issue. It's at least a couple of thousand dollars worth of stuff, or I definitely wouldn't even be thinking of moving it. Plus, there's my DD's old stuff in the attic, and we plan on having another one. I am torn about what to do with the old baby stuff, it seems silly to give it away just to have to buy it again since we are TTC right now!

We have the goal this year and next year, of going completely paperless. I want to scan in all the old documents and pictures. It will be a big task, but I think it will be totally worth it, especially since it's my husband's job to file, but he hates it and doesn't do a good job which always causes arguments at tax time (taxes are my job).
#64 of 95 Old 06-14-2006, 06:15 PM

Wow...lovely

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#65 of 95 Old 06-14-2006, 07:07 PM

Susannah -- gorgeous and peaceful!
#66 of 95 Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie
Can you all come over here and help a MDC sister out? I aspire to have a clean, open, clutter free space *sigh* You all provide fantasic inspiration!
Sure...I LOVE throwing stuff away!

I've offered to help several friends declutter when they were saying they wanted to have a go at their clutter, but they know my propensity for throwing things out and declined!:

lady.gif
#67 of 95 Old 06-14-2006, 11:52 PM

Susannah, very nice! I'm sure you'll be able to keep your apartment neat and tidy. And yes, apartments are so much LESS maintenance! No grass to cut, etc.

lady.gif
#68 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 12:25 AM

love looking at the pics. everyone's home looks so neat and tidy.

i've been working on ours for a while. this forum has helped. LOVE the decluttering challenges. i have some home pics saved on my computer; if anyone's interested, i'll snap photos of bedrooms and the kitchen tomorrow.

i'm working on closets and the laundry room now. they are somewhat overwhelming but, i've realized, it takes time and decluttering is an on-going process. i am a total yard sale junkie. it's hard cause i'm so tempted by to buy stuff that i don't need just cause it's cheap.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/binxsm...180re2&.src=ph
#69 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
nym

Wow.. I never realized how tiny my house is til I saw some of these pics!
#70 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 05:40 AM

You ladies have some excellent taste!
#71 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 10:45 AM

Tradd, ! Well, anytime you are out towards the NE US, drop me a line

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#72 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxsmom
love looking at the pics. everyone's home looks so neat and tidy.

i've been working on ours for a while. this forum has helped. LOVE the decluttering challenges. i have some home pics saved on my computer; if anyone's interested, i'll snap photos of bedrooms and the kitchen tomorrow.

i'm working on closets and the laundry room now. they are somewhat overwhelming but, i've realized, it takes time and decluttering is an on-going process. i am a total yard sale junkie. it's hard cause i'm so tempted by to buy stuff that i don't need just cause it's cheap.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/binxsm...180re2&.src=ph

I love your place! The windows are gorgeous, and it looks so roomy.

#73 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Binxmom, I LOVE your curtains, in the family/living room! Can I ask, where did you get them? They are exactly what I have been looking for - for our master bedroom!
#74 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 07:09 PM

We are planning on selling our house, so here are my photos to convince someone to buy it Not every room, but the important ones. I went through a huge simplifying/purging to get everything out. It's so calm now---I will never go back to clutter!

Photos HERE.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#75 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 07:11 PM

Delight you have my dream house! that is incredible!!!

You'll sell it SO quickly, it looks amazing.

Ok I'll stop gushing now......

#76 of 95 Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight
We are planning on selling our house, so here are my photos to convince someone to buy it Not every room, but the important ones. I went through a huge simplifying/purging to get everything out. It's so calm now---I will never go back to clutter!

Photos HERE.
Sara, I remember when you posted a photo of your kitchen cupboard that was seriously decluttered. I think of that photo often. I'd love to see more of your decluttered spaces because you are truly an inspiration!

Was your DH seriously on board? Mine isn't, and this is definitely difficult.

One thing I'm struggling with is clothes. How can a family of four (my son just turned four and my daughter is 7 months) produce SO MUCH LAUNDRY? My son is in a phase where he WILL NOT wear shirts with tags (even if I cut the tags out). He only has four t-shirts with tags, so we've been washing them like mad. I have half a mind to get rid of the rest of his shirts, save for two nice polo shirts and a nice Hawaiian shirt. That would bring him to seven shirts total. That should be doable, right? I think I'd rather do smaller loads of laundry more frequently than a gazillion huge loads every seven days or so.
#77 of 95 Old 06-16-2006, 09:22 AM

So I have a couple of questions for you ladies who are seriously decluttered: (I'm still working on it)
I'm seeing bedrooms with nothing but beds and dressers. Where do you put your dirty laundry? Do you have hampers hidden away in your bathrooms?
Also, I'm seeing a lot of completely clear counters. Where do you keep sponges to wash your dishes??
Sorry, I'm a novice. :
#78 of 95 Old 06-16-2006, 11:06 AM

Wowsa. These are some gorgeous, inspiring pictures. I love how everyone is creating serene peaceful spaces but still giving them so much personality.

I can answer the clothes-in-the-bedroom question, but not the kitchen question. We have a largish laundry cart (I think that's what it's called) in the bedroom closet--one of those fabric bags hung on a wheeled doohicky. It's true that we have a pretty large closet now, but we've fit it in much, much smaller closets, and I think it's totally a lifesaver as far as keeping clothes under control (when DH and I were first together, we kept all our clothes, clean and dirty, in a mongo pile on the floor, so this is a huge improvement for us!).

I would so like to hear kitchen advice, though. My kitchen is organized, but it just doesn't look simple, and I'm afraid if I cleared the counters completely it would slow down my cooking flow (and I cook a lot).

. . . also trying very, very hard not to covet everyone's great furniture, which would so defeat the spirit behind this thread. . . .
#79 of 95 Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 AM

delight, your home is gorgeous. so charming. we live in the suburbs and everything is so cookie cutter. i love our house but the structure itself is vanilla. our house has tall ceilings which makes it seem roomy but they are a total energy waste. arggg.

slyvi76, the curtains are ikea. awesome prices. i have sewn curtains in some of our rooms but ikea is cheaper than buying the fabric.

i do keep a hamper in the bedroom closet. my kitchen counters are not nearly as de-cluttered as some of the others. i do keep a coffee maker and fruit. i keep my sponge in a small bowl on the corner of the sink.
#80 of 95 Old 06-16-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
So I have a couple of questions for you ladies who are seriously decluttered: (I'm still working on it)
I'm seeing bedrooms with nothing but beds and dressers. Where do you put your dirty laundry? Do you have hampers hidden away in your bathrooms?
Also, I'm seeing a lot of completely clear counters. Where do you keep sponges to wash your dishes??
Sorry, I'm a novice. :
Actually, we have 2 armoires (they are ones that JCPenney labeled as "bathroom armoires") in our bedroom, there's just not a good angle to see them in the pictures. That's where we put a bunch of the stuff I had no idea where else to put (boxes of pictures, my sewing machine, our board games, etc).

Our master closet is a large walk-in, so we keep all of our laundry in there. I've got a PVC frame that you attach laundry bags to. There's one for lights, darks, and reds, when one fills up, then I do a load of laundry. Our closet is well-organized, too, I guess I could take pictures if anyone is interested. We keep all of our clothes in it, including the ones that go in drawers, we have plastic drawers on one of the shelves (9 drawers altogether). What is SO nice is that when I put away clothes, everything goes into the closet, it makes it a lot faster to just sort and put away while I'm in there. DD's clothes are all in there, too.

We keep all the stuff to do dishes in one of the cabinets above the counter, right beside the sink, in a plastic shoe-box type container. We also keep the appliances in our cabinets, like the toaster, coffee maker, etc. The clean counters just relax me, sure it might take me an extra 5 seconds in the morning to make toast or coffee, but it's worth it.
#81 of 95 Old 06-16-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight

Photos HERE.
Georgeous! Is the carpet in your room Flor tiles? It looks great! Your house will sell in a flash -- promise!
#82 of 95 Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveGirl
Sara, I remember when you posted a photo of your kitchen cupboard that was seriously decluttered. I think of that photo often. I'd love to see more of your decluttered spaces because you are truly an inspiration!

Was your DH seriously on board? Mine isn't, and this is definitely difficult.

One thing I'm struggling with is clothes. How can a family of four (my son just turned four and my daughter is 7 months) produce SO MUCH LAUNDRY? My son is in a phase where he WILL NOT wear shirts with tags (even if I cut the tags out). He only has four t-shirts with tags, so we've been washing them like mad. I have half a mind to get rid of the rest of his shirts, save for two nice polo shirts and a nice Hawaiian shirt. That would bring him to seven shirts total. That should be doable, right? I think I'd rather do smaller loads of laundry more frequently than a gazillion huge loads every seven days or so.
Thanks so much for the kind words. Yes, DH is truly on board. We are addicted to getting rid of stuff!

As far as clothing goes, I think it's a CONSTANT battle. I like to go to garage sales, thrifting, etc...so I have to try really hard to get rid of stuff before I bring new stuff in. That's really hard with DD's clothes. A lot of her clothes have such an emotional attachment for me. But I'm getting better. I realized that there are 5-6 outfits that I continually put on her, and the rest gets worn only occasionally. I am on a mission this weekend to go through and get rid of those outfits.

For me, even though I went through my clothes and got rid of the stuff I don't really wear, I still have too much. I do wear it all, but I think the problem is just too many options... you know? Yes, I love it all, but do I NEED it all? Laundry will be so much happier if I get rid of more. It's hard to live in a 4-season state, because I can't get rid of too much. I would freeze

So, yes, in answer to your question, I think 7 shirts is totally do-able.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#83 of 95 Old 06-16-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmama7
Georgeous! Is the carpet in your room Flor tiles? It looks great! Your house will sell in a flash -- promise!
Nope, they are all just area rugs. Thanks! Also, in answer to the question about where is all the "everyday stuff"...

Our hamper is inside a closet and I keep all appliances in cupboards. My sponge holder is in a clear thing that sticks to the inside of the sink. Soap under the sink. I have hardly any cupboard space, so I have some things down the basement. Things that I don't use very often....bread machine, platters, etc.

#84 of 95 Old 06-17-2006, 03:31 PM

I miss closets!!!!! Homes here is Israel generally don't have any, and you have to buy them. We were pretty poo' when we moved here so we have a tiny little one that doesn't hold most of our clothes. I sooo miss closets.
I like the sponge holder being inside of the sink! I'm going to look for something like that!
Again, all of these de-cluttered houses are gorgous!!
#85 of 95 Old 06-18-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I miss closets!!!!! Homes here is Israel generally don't have any, and you have to buy them. We were pretty poo' when we moved here so we have a tiny little one that doesn't hold most of our clothes. I sooo miss closets.
I like the sponge holder being inside of the sink! I'm going to look for something like that!
Again, all of these de-cluttered houses are gorgous!!
I have no closets either. So I kinda made my own by using a corner in the bedrooms and hanging curtains around the corner.

my kids are 10, 7, and 4. i'm due any day now
#86 of 95 Old 06-18-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetangelbrynlie
I have no closets either. So I kinda made my own by using a corner in the bedrooms and hanging curtains around the corner.
Wow! I'd love to see this - you don't happen to have pics do you?
#87 of 95 Old 06-18-2006, 06:04 PM

OK. We are just moving in. We have been slobs always. But, we had to sell our last house, so we bought some nice things and s[ent a lot of time keeping it clean. I want to continue that! So, I am trying really hard.
I have gotten the front half of the front room unpacked and wanted to share.
The mirror and Ansel Adams print will be hung in the other part of the room, and dh is going to build a shelf for the corner where they are now. It will be stained espresso. He is also going to build a bench with cubbies for under the window. The painting on the red chair is going to hang over the little table by the door and the red chair will go in front of the shelves he is building. The pillow collection will grow to include larger floor cushions, and they will be in a nice spot on or near the blue rug, as a place to hang out. We need artwork for over the table with the candles, and a huge clock for over the desk. We have a burgundy valance to hang over the bare window.
ANyway, here it is
http://w3.photobucket.com/widgets/dy...=/y87/boysrus/
#88 of 95 Old 06-19-2006, 05:30 AM

Oh yea, one more thing - where do you ladies with clear counters keep dishracks? How do ya'll do your dishes?
Thanks!
boysrus - beautiful! I love the furniture.

ETA: And bread!! Where does everyone keep their bread?! (Sorry for the zillions of questions, I am just very intrigued by this totally empty counter stuff) I was keeping my bread in a cabinet for a while but I felt like it was asking for the bread to go bad earlier so now it's in a basket on the counter... Hmm..
#89 of 95 Old 06-19-2006, 06:44 PM

We use the dishwasher, I very rarely handwash dishes. When I do, the dishes just go on the dishrack until they're dry, then back up, and I put it beside the sink. In between times, it's just stored in a cabinet. We go through bread quickly, so we just keep it in the pantry. We store extra loaves in the freezer.
#90 of 95 Old 06-22-2006, 08:42 AM

I have been decluttering like mad for about a week and I took some pix yesterday and posted them in my new blog here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page