Can someone define "minimalist" living for me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2006, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am intrigued and think I strive to be a minimalist as I am horrible at keeping things neat and tidy in my house. I get overwhelmed with "stuff". I dont think I have a lot and yet there's always piles of junk everywhere. There are kids toys, dh's tools, guitars, amps, mail, the vacuum, dvd's, books, magazines, etc laying in various places. I cant seem to get the laundry all put away...ughhhhhhh!!!! What is a minimalist? What exactly do you have or cant have to be a minimalist? Thanks mamas!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy
What is a minimalist? What exactly do you have or cant have to be a minimalist? Thanks mamas!
Well I think its silly to say "oh, you own a ___ so you are not a minimalist". It is my belief that minimalism is more about holding an active philosophy rather than a certain number of items in one's possession. For me, it is about always being conscious of what I allow into my life as a "possession". It is about not defining myself by what is in my environment (though sceptics would say I am defining myself by what ISN'T in my environment!). It is about striving to live as simply as possible and moving away from collecting "stuff just in case" to just having things that are used regularily in my home.

On my path to minimalism, I pretty much looked at EVERYTHING I had in my possession (down to old letters and photos) and asked myself "am I emotionally attached to this? have I used this in the last year? does this jewlery mean anything to me? does item X serve a purpose in my life? Will I reference this book on a regular basis?" and if the answer was no, I let the item go free.

Sure my apartment gets messy and useless things build up--but I am constantly coming back to that awareness and not letting it get out of hand. Plus we move every 8 months or so and what a great opportunity to re-evaluate during packing!

This is just my perspective. I'd love to hear what others have to say too!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...

User Tag List