How do you get un-overwhelmed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was doing really well with Flylady, then we all got sick, and I'm out of the groove. Plus, I was feeling down and did a lot of shopping : so now I'm totally overwhelmed with "stuff" again. When you get overwhelmed, how do you tackle the problem areas? A friend is having a garage sale this weekend, and my goal is to get as much of our non-needed stuf boxed up to donate to them as possible (we have a big house and lots of stuff, so I'm not sure how much I can get done with the kids underfoot). How do you set short-term goals to declutter and simplify?

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 02:41 PM

One foot in front of the other...be persistent and it will eventually get to where it feels less cluttered.

I try to prioritize two things A) the most urgent things: The biggest eyesores, things getting tripped over, things that bug me the most, stuff in danger of getting moldy or rotting, stuff we need immediately (clean dishes and underwear), etc and B) the thing I can do the most of the fastest.

Sometimes I do one room at a time, starting with the kitchen (so we can eat) or the living room (so I can sit and rest every now and then without losing my mind).

Don't expect it all to get done in one day.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 06-13-2006, 03:06 PM

I waft in and out of flyladyhood all the time. But each time, things get a little better and one or two little habits are adopted. When I find myself behind and overwhelmed, I set my timer to 15 minutes. I do the first stuff I see for 15 minutes and then go do something fun (MDC!).

After a few of those, I make a list of things to do, then break it down into little steps and 15 minute them. 15 on/15 off.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:17 AM

I try and do it all in one week. It's HARD, but once you are done, it's so shiny. It's exciting to know that you will be caught up, and for me, it's well worth the extra effort. I do one room at a time, and when it's all done, I keep up with it by doing a deep clean once a week. I have a giant house and four kids, but doing the deep clean once a week only takes a few hours, and lasts.

User Tag List