Mid Year Organize/Declutter etc Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 06-15-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, July 1st is almost here. If you want to call this a July Challenge or whatever- I want this done by the mid year date.

I need to get rid of another 500 items. I also need to clean out areas etc so that is where the 500 items comes from again. Also our church is having its annual rummage sale next weekend so I can delcutter things to there.

I need to go thru all storage areas etc, clean out the fridge/freezer, go thru the pantry, clean out the garage, storage shed, and attic. Also go thru my kitchen cabinets. And really bad- go thru DD1's old stuff to use for DD2 and store it properly or hang in DD2's closet. All of her shoes that she did not wear out, I can clean up and store for DD2.

since dd2 is our final, I can slowly get rid of things as she ages out too.

Big aspirations but I so need to do this. I want it done by the 1st but this Challenge is good until the last day of July.

Any takers? List your goal this month and how you plan on getting there!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 62 Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 PM

I am in...I have no idea how many pieces yet. Let me think about it. I can't wait to start though. I will update this post soon

Donated 25 pieces of clothing yesterday

Cleaned out our bathroom closet. 70 pieces gone

My husband went through the freezer. 20 items gone.
#3 of 62 Old 06-16-2006, 12:37 AM
2x2

I will do what I can over the weekend, but everything will be added to the pile up in my garage. Then after I have the babies, I'll take the time to sell or donate everything. Simplify the house now & take care of the garage later. A girl has to pick her battles, I guess.

I am in for 300 items (100 a day for Fri, Sat & Sun). I'll be moving very slowly, but it's the last weekend I've got so I'll make it count.

Thanks for the motivation!
#4 of 62 Old 06-16-2006, 11:40 PM
2x2

I got some things "out of the house" so to speak(with a little help).... They are now in the garage until further notice. It's quite a list, but most items are big, so it was good to get them out. Bear with me, but I think I hit my goal for the day, so I'm quite pleased.

4 end tables, 5 pc drt, 16 decorative accessories, 2 directors chairs, 8 martini glasses, 1 ladder, 1 platter, 5 cobalt fish, 8 plates & 8 tumblers, 1 muslin screen, 1 vacuum, 1 steamer, 3 sets of shutters/blinds, 1 coffee maker, 1 bag craft stuff, 2 cushion/pillow, 1 trunk, 2 trays, 4 towels, 5 framed prints, 20 placemats, 3 lamps, 1 bowl, 2 games, 3 baskets, 1 candle, 1 vase, 1 pan, 1 curtain set.

I think that's 113 or so items. Woo-Hoo! I'll be checking in again tomorrow. Wishing all of you luck and much progress!!!!
#5 of 62 Old 06-17-2006, 04:43 PM

I'm in! a few days ago I sorted through ds's clothes and dontated some (hes my first we plan on more lol) to my home visiting nurse, also gave her some formula I had in the house and diapers. DH went through his stuff and put alot in the trash,we looked through our pantry and freezer and got rid of opened or expired foods, and the pantry finnaly got organized to the point where I know where everything is!!!! and I went through my closet today and got rid of clothes and shoes (i only have 4 pairs left ) that dont fit or arn't worn. I guess so far its around 150 items.....we still have more to go through I love summer cleaning.
#6 of 62 Old 06-17-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

OK- today put Maggie in the BabyBjorn I took out for dh. I normally use the sling. She loves the babybjorn!

Then I
went thru the pantry and cleaned it up a bunch
cleaned out expired stuff from the fridge!!

yesterday-
went thru diaper stash

its coming along!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#7 of 62 Old 06-18-2006, 01:47 PM
2x2

Well, I had to take it easy yesterday since DH had to work, so I could only trudge around with little stuff. I think I hit the halfway mark for my goal, too. I'll do what I can today....

Here's what moved out yesterday...

3 books, 1 sunshade, 1 towel, 1 planter, 4 potholders, 1 oval dish, 2 vases, 2 spoonrests, 1 marinator, 1 pitcher, 3 wall art, 4 tumblers, 12 plates, 16 platters/trays/cuttingboards, 1 gravy boat, 2 soccerballs, 1 puzzle

So my totals are: 54 items for the day & 167 items total.
#8 of 62 Old 06-18-2006, 03:16 PM

I am in! I have gotten rid of so much stuff already, but I still have tons more.

My goals: MY OFFICE/CRAFTS/HOMESCHOOL/STORAGE ROOM

1. Donate items I was saving to sell on ebay (a year ago)
2. Go through office supplies and accessories
3. Organize my sewing/scrapbook area
4. Organize my son's homeschool stuff
5. Clear the clutter off my desk
6. Go through the storage stuff in the closet
7. Sell my unused, unread, never gonna read again books to the bookstore

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#9 of 62 Old 06-18-2006, 03:41 PM
2x2

It's the mid-day tally. Had to take a break, belly aches a bit w/ the twins movin' & groovin'. So I figured I'd get a partial tally together...

4 teapots/pitchers, 1 dog dish, 5 cookbooks, 5 planters/plantstands, 3 dog toys, 2 candleholders, 1 wallet, 1 watch, 1 masher, 3 sets sheets, 10 accessories, 1 duffel, 1 butterdish, 2 coasters, 8 containers, 2 toiletries bags, 1 bedspread, 2 pillows, 6 mirrors, 6 frames, 4 prints, 2 bowls, 4 magazines, 1 shower curtain....

That's 76 so far and a total of 243 for the weekend. I'll update you after I've got my second wind!
#10 of 62 Old 06-19-2006, 01:24 AM
2x2

Ok, so i've finished for the day and here is where I am...

1 steak knife set, 4 moonlights, 1 utility cord, 2 spoon set thingys, 7 tablecloths, 1 spatula set, 3 sets curtains, 1 basket, 6 bottles paint, 3 sets gloves, 9 bottles lotion, 11 cassettes, 2 prints, 1 mirror, 1 mug, 3 pencil boxes, 10 toys, 2 totes, 17 candles, 1 garlic roaster, 1 starch, 1 dye, 12 picnic plates, 12 picnic bowls, 4 tumblers, 1 vase, 1 candleabra, 3 curtain rods, 1 set finials, 1 sewing mannequin, 1 papertowel holder, 1 set salt & pep, 8 magazines, 9 books, 14 videos, 1 pitcher, 1 cable, 1 box of remnant fabric, 3 ornaments, 2 typewriters,

That's 164 for the day and 407 for the weekend if my math and eyes are right! Wow, who knew my cupboards & drawers held so much stuff! We'll see if I get any more out tomorrow!
#11 of 62 Old 06-22-2006, 09:16 PM

I set out a huge garbage bag of clothes for charity yesterday. Two or three times a month I put out at least a garbage bag, usually two, so that is helping. My goal is to give away or throw away at least 300 items by the end of July. I can do this!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#12 of 62 Old 06-22-2006, 10:02 PM

I'm in!

I've been decluttering for 2 weeks and I've probably gotten rid of half of the stuff in my apartment - easily a thousand things. I still have some more I'd like to be rid of, especially clothes.
#13 of 62 Old 06-23-2006, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

we are coming along and eating out the freezer to clean it out.

also weeding stuff out as dd2 grows out of it and a bassenett dd1 loved napping in, dd2 hates so its going to another family. dd2ikes her cosleeper/cosleeping and the sling.

sold stuff on the tp, gave other stuff away and now getting ready to ebay.

#14 of 62 Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM

I'm in! I am planning on at least 100 things (i haven't ever done this so i may be underestimating) Going through DS toys today so i will tally that later. I don't know what else really needs to be gone through right now.
#15 of 62 Old 06-23-2006, 04:57 PM

Wow! You ladies are doing great!

I'm in, too. We just decided to stay in our small house in the city instead of buying a bigger one in the 'burbs. "Everything must go!" LOL! I know we can make this space work with less junk.

I just freecycled a ton of stuff recently, and there's more to come. I'll keep you posted. This is a great motivator!
#16 of 62 Old 06-23-2006, 05:33 PM

Quick review of the closet and I found a t-shirt and cardigan (no longer fits!) to put in the box. Yay!
#17 of 62 Old 06-24-2006, 08:45 AM

I'm in! So far in June we have freecycled or otherwise gotten rid of one humidifier, a big pile of books, two bags of old clothes, and 33 pieces of old flatware.

And also:

one bag of magnetic poetry magnets
21 dishes
a sugar/creamer set
41 things from the top of my fridge
wood carving
old TV set
20 old magazines/catalogs
25 pieces of junk mail
one1 old newspaper
Buddhist prayer flags
an almost empty container of muffin cups
19 videos
old coin bank
old wallet
three water bottles
coffee table book
old bottle of mustard
five odds and ends from the bedroom bureau
eleven old batteries
75 more old magazines and catalogs:
two more magazines
DVD player
two cat toys
seven things from my freezer
one insulated lunch tote
42 more old magazines and catalogs (um...sensing a theme here? )
one old glass milk bottle
two glass candleholders
133 plastic and paper grocery bags :
one old bottle of lotion

I'm so amazed by the things that people will come to our house to get from Freecycle!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#18 of 62 Old 06-24-2006, 08:05 PM

HI! new over here and I wanna join in the challenge!
Here Are my simplifying goals for my midyear declutter/organization!

1.Clean closets and get rid of items we don't use
2.Give away clothes that we do not wear anymore to Goodwill
3.Simplify each room down to what we NEED
4.organize kitchen/ give away dishes we don't use anymore
5.have a yardsale
#19 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 02:47 AM

Guess I am gonna move over here. I was able to get to 500 and beyond. As of today I am at 645. I changed my goal from 500 to 750 looks like I will reach that pretty quick. I am doing a major toy purge. and still decluttering my room. It is looking better but still BAD. We are definately progressing though.

Michele
#20 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 AM

lastnight we cleaned out 3 garbage bags of expired food!!! some with dates from 2004 it was awful, I can't belive we hadn't done this sooner.

we plan to do more to the bedrooms and some stuff in storage still.
#21 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 11:16 AM

I'm subbing.

I cleared out an old computer, toys, clothes, shoes, etc yesterday. I'm continuing to work on it today. How many items did I get rid of? Oh, (counting the computer as one item, although it was several pieces), probably 50 to 100.

I have a goal to reorganize our living room so we can put dd's computer in there. This also means that the room where the computer currently is needs to be re-done as well.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#22 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 PM

Well, we had a last minute goal of deep cleaning this house (I have out of state friends coming to visit tomorrow). I made a list of everything that needed done and the two older kids each picked and chose what they wanted on their lists.

Of course, I got the rough/sucky jobs, but it helped split it up and we ended up filling both the recycle bin and half of the big garbage can...YIKES! The house is SPOTLESS, dustless, cobwebless, and the kids did a great job (money is a great motivator for teens! )
#23 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 09:54 PM

I am in a serious "need to de-clutter" space myself. It seems like our house is always so full of clutter and we just cannot touch it. I am thinking seriously that a yard sale is in order. I already have a room full of stuff we were going to Ebay and haven't had the time - I think doing it in one fell swoop, one big yard sale, will do the trick. And then we freecycle the rest.

I've never done a yard sale!
#24 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 09:56 PM

Chasmyn, lots of folks don't think yard sales are worth the trouble. Might just be easier to find a charity in your area that does pick ups and let them come and take it away!

lady.gif
#25 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 10:01 PM

I was thinking that it seems like a lot of work...kind of like Ebay. Have to tag/price everything, place ads, make signs, set up, take down, sit out in the heat all day (well, from 9-3 around here)...

The miserly part of me wants to see what kind of cash we can make out of the deal, some return on our investment? But you might be right, with all the work it might be more worth it just to donate it somewhere. Even freecycle is work - having to schedule appointments and wait for people to show or not show...

Not to be whiny, I just like the "get it the heck out of here all at once" idea.

If I knew my neighbors better maybe we could do a group yard sale and it wouldn't be as bad. There seem to be sales here every weekend now, of course. Some folks have some serious signage - wooden signs, then signs all over the place leading to the sale. They probably take out ads, too. It's a big business, getting rid of one's junk!
#26 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 10:16 PM

My mom and I had a smalish yardsale and made $200. We were shocked. You mgiht be surprised.
#27 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 10:19 PM

See, THAT's what I'm talking about
#28 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 10:27 PM

Depends on the kind of stuff you have to sell, and where you live. I've seen posts on SimpleLiving.net where folks barely made $50!:

lady.gif
#29 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 10:31 PM

We are in a metro area. We had alot of baby things. And then just random household items.

Michele
#30 of 62 Old 06-25-2006, 10:34 PM

I'm in and didn't even know it. We cleaned out the garage. We moved in 3 1/2 yrs ago and it had all our junk. It was to the point we couldn't park the car and get both kids out of their carseats. We "got rid of" (its all behind the garage available to whomever wants it, freecycle, whatever, until garbage day where it will be tagged for garbage) sooooo much junk. I'm soooo happy.

If ds isn't in the hospital this weekend, I'm getting rid of dd's clothes (going to my sister's on Sunday as she is 9 months pregnat) and hoping to do a toy declutter. But I'm completely satisfied with the garage. That was so refreshing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page