The Clothing Experiment - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 157 Old 09-29-2006, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've learned in the past few months that I need to really be more selective at the thrift store. Just because it's 1.99 and such-and-such brand doesn't mean I need to take it home with me.
#122 of 157 Old 09-30-2006, 05:12 AM

I've just spotted this thread for the first time. Part way through reading I had an urge to go and declutter my wardrobe. I already have collected together a massive pile to either donate or sell online. I'm amazed where it all comes from, I only decluttered about a month ago, guess my thoughts have changed about some of the things I thought were ok back then.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#123 of 157 Old 09-30-2006, 09:48 PM

The page linked below and the page following show how you can get 14 outfits out of 9 pieces of clothing. I'm always clueless about this stuff, so this was helpful to me!

http://www.travelite.org/clothing/womenswardrobe.html
#124 of 157 Old 09-30-2006, 09:58 PM

I haven't finished reading this thread, but I'm so excited that I wanted to say "thanks, all, for sharing this info!".

This is one of my final frontiers in improving my material life.
#125 of 157 Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 AM

Subbing! I have a huge walk in closet filled with clothes as well as a dresser. How many things do I wear from it? Probably 15-20. Now that it is a season change, I want to make some changes and get rid of at least half! I am also hopefully on the road to losing my last 10 lbs from 2 pregnancies so I am really hoping I can get rid of a LOT and maybe buy a few new things that fit.
#126 of 157 Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 AM

I have total relooked at my wardobe. I have a few sweaters and shirt that go with tan pants and a few that go with jeans. I have two blazers with a few skirts with each and 5 out fit that are very comfortable that I wear around the house. if I only where my "good " clothes when I run erronds or anything out of the house I can wait almost a week before I have to wash my jeans/ shirts. I may only wear them a hour or 2 a day. It has really cut down on hte laundry and i always seam to have at least one outfit I feel I can wear out in public.
#127 of 157 Old 10-03-2006, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone...I haven't updated for awhile, so I thought I would jump in. We've now moved to our small apartment, and I'm really really glad we downsized our wardrobes when we did! Here is a pic of our closet now. All of our clothes are in there...with the exception of a few extra storage places for undies and socks. I've found that because we only do laundry a few times a week, it's really nice to have 2-3 pairs of jeans. I don't need that many more shirts...but I must be really hard on pants. I also hate when they get stretched out...I like that straight out of the dryer feeling.

I also try to look at our clothes every couple of weeks and see if I can thin it some more. I've been to a few thrift stores lately, and have picked up several great pieces...but that means I need to trade it for something else! It's a continuous journey...but it's fun!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#128 of 157 Old 10-03-2006, 03:23 AM

subbing!

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#129 of 157 Old 10-03-2006, 03:59 AM

Delight, I loved looking at the pics of your apartment. Very lovely style you have there (and the cute splashes of red everywhere I particularly like!).

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#130 of 157 Old 10-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Has anyone heard of clothes exchange parties? I know they have another name that's catchy and creative...just can't think of it now.

Anyway, a bunch of gals get together (spose it could be guys too) and each brings a clothing item they no longer want. Then you exchange it for something some else has brought.

This keeps your wardrobe new and interesting without spending any money!
#131 of 157 Old 10-08-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
I KNOW! Obsessed! I have really started to deconstruct my assumptions about clothes and all the emotions that go along with it. I'm trying to find the balance between wanting to look and feel pretty and just not caring what others think.

We are in a hotel for a few days right now and I purposely didn't bring many clothes just to "test" myself. I love traveling lighter...that has been a big problem for me in the past, and we travel A LOT. I'm ready for a change in that area. It's nice if there are laundry facilities available...or even a sink/soap. I washed a few of DD's clothes in the sink last night and they were dry this morning.

Also, finding out what truly looks nice on you is important. For years, I've picked out scoop neck tank tops, etc. I have realized that v-neck looks more flattering, and a shirred bust, even better. If you don't feel AMAZING in it, you probably don't look that great it it! I think that no matter your shape or size, there is clothing out there that will flatter you.

I started thinking about this "disposable" obsessed culture that we live in. I have switched my house to completely re-usable/cloth everything (even toilet paper!) ... so why do I buy disposable clothing? The items that I've bought from Old Navy, Target and other discount stores are usually a one- season item and then they are trashed. If I would just buy higher quality to begin with, many resources (and headaches) would be saved. I've always liked the higher quality stuff, but have been impatient and decided to fulfill a WANT instead of saving up some money to buy the better piece.

I think that if I would just avoid even going into those cheaper stores to look at clothes, I could save so much money. Yes, the clearance racks are wonderful, but do I really NEED another t-shirt? Another skirt? Another sweater? I don't want to discount some people's true NEED for inexpensive or even free clothing because if you can hardly afford to eat, I'm not saying you should go and buy an expensive piece of clothing. Just saying that I want to TRY to buy better quality.

Also, I've found that when you have less clothing, you tend to take care of what you have. With my "disposable" clothing, I didn't care if something stained it or if it ripped. I am starting to line dry all of my clothes too....to keep them nicer longer. Kind of a "slow clothes" movement hee hee. Just like the slow food movement wants to enjoy the food, slow down, eat more naturally....so I want to enjoy my clothes : Has Sara gone off the deep end? I think I'm rambling. But I've just been thinking about all of this so much lately. Hopefully some of it connects with someone out there.

OliveGirl, this thread was supposed to help us simplify life, not make it more crazy by obsessing about it. hee hee! The end result will be fabulous though. Can't wait to see your pics! I'll post mine later when I get back home.
"Slow clothes" - I love that!
#132 of 157 Old 10-08-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I'm down to:
  • 8 T-shirts
  • 2 tank tops
  • 4 skirts
  • 4 pairs of pants (black, khaki, linen, cords)
  • 4 pairs of capri pants (jeans, cords, cotton gauchos)
  • 2 button downs
  • Workout pants and shirt
  • Hiking/camping outfit
  • Pajama pants
  • 6 pairs of undies, 3 nursing tanks, 4 pairs of socks
I perused this thread with much interest and looked at what the other ladies also posted was in their wardrobes after downsizing.

With a wardrobe like this though, how often are you doing laundry? I think I would need more than this if I didn't want to do laundry all the time. Am I off base maybe?
#133 of 157 Old 10-08-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcoolmama View Post
I perused this thread with much interest and looked at what the other ladies also posted was in their wardrobes after downsizing.

With a wardrobe like this though, how often are you doing laundry? I think I would need more than this if I didn't want to do laundry all the time. Am I off base maybe?
I've since added a few more pairs of everyday jeans for winter...and I do laundry a couple times a week. Maybe 2-4 loads per week. Growing up, I was a "wear it once...in the laundry" kind of girl. I've certainly changed since then. But with a toddler, sometimes that's hard. Snot seems to come out of nowhere

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#134 of 157 Old 10-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Subbing!
#135 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 09:48 AM

Got rid of 6 more pairs of shoes!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#136 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 AM

Sorry, OT

Delight, I'm waiting for some blog updates! ::taps foot impatiently::

#137 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestarr View Post
Subbing!
Wait...what does subbing mean again?
#138 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 PM

Subscribing to the thread.
#139 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestarr View Post
Subscribing to the thread.
Oh. Thanks!
#140 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I've since added a few more pairs of everyday jeans for winter...and I do laundry a couple times a week. Maybe 2-4 loads per week. Growing up, I was a "wear it once...in the laundry" kind of girl. I've certainly changed since then. But with a toddler, sometimes that's hard. Snot seems to come out of nowhere
Hi Delight!

Can I ask where you found the jeans that you added and what kind they are? After reading your posts and your blog, it seems like you are an ultra conscious consumer and would make good decisions based on cost, quality, longevity, and the company's social standing.

#141 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 03:30 PM

I am looking for one or two nice pair of great fitting jeans that will last a long time. This thread is so great. I like the idea of being more thoughtful and purposeful about what we own and also like the idea of simplifying and loving the items we do have in our homes.

Any suggestions for good quality jeans?
#142 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Delight:

I just wanted to say that I showed your blog and photos of your apartment to my husband and he was really impressed. We're going to start working on our own space...together...I'm sure it will be interesting. I'll post here about we end up agreeing on.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!
#143 of 157 Old 10-09-2006, 03:43 PM

Woops, I'll leave this here, but I feel embarassed because this was totally meant for Delight's other thread . . . silly me . . . sigh

I just wanted to say that we love IKEA and they have a lot of ideas for living in a small space. When we visited the store they had a display which was of a very tiny apartment (can't remember the square footage, it was smaller than Delight's) and they showed it all set up for two adults and a baby and it was SO great for ideas, I was very inspired! They sell lots of storage and organization solutions too and their prices are extremely affordable. The designs are very hip and young too. I feel like I sound like an advertisement but I know a lot of people don't know about IKEA so I just wanted to pass on the idea . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#144 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Delight!

Can I ask where you found the jeans that you added and what kind they are? After reading your posts and your blog, it seems like you are an ultra conscious consumer and would make good decisions based on cost, quality, longevity, and the company's social standing.

I found a pair at a consignment store near my house ($12.99), and purchased some on the MDC Trading Post ($8). Both were Gap. So as for the social standing of the company...ummm....not so good. However, I feel like I make up for it a little by buying them used. Gap jeans fit me great and last as long as I need them to. I'm pretty hard on them. I like Silver jeans too...you can find those a lot at thrift/goodwill stores.

#145 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I found a pair at a consignment store near my house ($12.99), and purchased some on the MDC Trading Post ($8). Both were Gap. So as for the social standing of the company...ummm....not so good. However, I feel like I make up for it a little by buying them used. Gap jeans fit me great and last as long as I need them to. I'm pretty hard on them. I like Silver jeans too...you can find those a lot at thrift/goodwill stores.
Excellent! Thank you. I will have to check out the MDC Trading Post.
#146 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Excellent! Thank you. I will have to check out the MDC Trading Post.
Me too when I get enough posts and have been here long enough!
#147 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
Me too when I get enough posts and have been here long enough!
Oh, can you only use the MDC Trading Post after being on MDC for so long?
#148 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, can you only use the MDC Trading Post after being on MDC for so long?
Yeah, the rules say you have to have been here 60 days:

Quote:
The Trading Post and its subforums are community service forums for members of MDC. You must meet the criteria of being a registered member for more than 60 days and have posted a minimum of 50 posts to the MDC boards before you may post to this forum and its subforums.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=174851

ETA: Although, if you're only buying, you could read the posts and then PM the person. You only can't post in the forum until after your 60 days are up.
#149 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
Yeah, the rules say you have to have been here 60 days:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=174851

ETA: Although, if you're only buying, you could read the posts and then PM the person. You only can't post in the forum until after your 60 days are up.
I don't think that's technically "allowed" either?? Can you even see the TP when you don't have enough posts/time? I thought it was "invisible" until that point.

#150 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM

I'm a newbie...just found the community this week, and was excited to see this thread!

I saw the brown dress site a little earlier this summer...at a good point when I was wanting to go shopping. This curtailed my urges, and I have been trying to streamline ever since. (Though the onset of cold weather has allowed me to shop the thrift stores and purchase some warmer wear.)

Anyway, little brown dress talked about her new project, and mentioned making teeshirt undies. I kinda didn't thnk that would work too well, until I saw this article.

http://www.supernaturale.com/articles.html?id=70

It gave me a better picture of the possibilities, ya know? Not sure I'll get this desperate...I'm hoping to have everlasting unnies so my comfy gap ones don't wear out. Hah...let me dream.

So if anyone tries this before I get to it, let me know how they work, K? Meantime I'm gonna keep an eye out for nice tees that could be used this way.

Leon - 8.15.07 and Silas - 4.19.09. Happy for sun and garden season again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page