The Clothing Experiment - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
I'm a newbie...just found the community this week, and was excited to see this thread!
Welcome Brightside...so glad you found us! What a fun link!! I might have to start sewing just so I can make my own. Would it be weird to ask my sewing friend to make me undies? LOL!

ETA: I'm starting to feel a clothing purge coming on again! Mine, Bella's...and Matt's! I'm starting to wear the same stuff a lot and it's showing me what I really don't need to keep. I'll keep ya posted.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#152 of 157 Old 10-10-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
Welcome Brightside...so glad you found us! What a fun link!! I might have to start sewing just so I can make my own. Would it be weird to ask my sewing friend to make me undies? LOL!

ETA: I'm starting to feel a clothing purge coming on again! Mine, Bella's...and Matt's! I'm starting to wear the same stuff a lot and it's showing me what I really don't need to keep. I'll keep ya posted.
Now do your husband and daughter ever miss the items you purge? Like I remember when I was a little girl just loving certain clothing items I had like shoes or dresses or a special skirt.

My husband refuses to get rid of jeans that haven't fit him in 5 years and t-shirts and sweatshirts he owned in high school and college. Even an old workshirt from a fast food restaurant that still smells like grease 10 years later!
#153 of 157 Old 10-11-2006, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcoolmama View Post
Now do your husband and daughter ever miss the items you purge? Like I remember when I was a little girl just loving certain clothing items I had like shoes or dresses or a special skirt.
No...the things I purge are not their favorites. Bella definitely has her favorite pants, shirts, etc. I'm just talking about doubles of things, outgrown, last season, etc. that are still out taking up space. As for Matt, I wouldn't downsize his...he does his own. He isn't quite as ruthless as I am, but he's starting to see the light!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#154 of 157 Old 10-11-2006, 11:52 AM

I've been getting desperate with the amount of clothes we have in our house. There are now six of us and the littlest has the fewest clothes at the mo because we are ECing so she's often only in a t shirt and cardi! We also have no drawers full of nappies as we are using terry squares to lie her on and I only have enough to use one day - wash - and make it to the next day.

I have purged a load of stuff and now that I'm not pregnant I realise that I don't have many things that actually fit me or are easy to breastfeed in. I have 'loaned' maternity clothes from friends and am still wearing the t-shirts but I have only 2 pairs of trousers that fit (low rise jeans for under the flabby bit - from ebay)

I often sew but I'm reluctant to sew trousers because I'm hoping to lose the belly and some of my hips (I said hoping . So I have sewn an ankle length wraparound skirt for the winter and plan to wear it as much as possible. Its in a heavy-ish charcoal grey cotton with a peachy finish which was only £1.80 per yard. 2 yards was plenty and I might make a tote - or two with the rest. Her's a useful pattern guide http://www.amitymama.com/vb/sew-alon...pic-heavy.html

I've been thinking about this too and am going to make dd2 a wool dress or two after felting some sweaters I don't wear because they have shrunk a bit but I couldn't part with
#155 of 157 Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, my gosh! That refashioning thing looks so cool! I've been fretting over buying new camisoles because the ones I have are too short-waisted. Instead of chucking them, I think I might either put extensions on them or make them into slips/dresses (like I have this red paisley that I could make skirting for the red one with. I was just going to make it into a skirt, but...and I have a couple of black ones, I could use one to make the other longer!) Also, they're the kind with the shelf bras, so I could turn the one I hack off to make an extension for the other into just a bra.

And I'd love to make some of my T-shirts more fitted. I really have no clue how, but it won't break my heart if I expend a couple figuring it out. My favorite skirt has gotten a bit torn in places, one spot is patched and another hangs odd because I did a quickie mend instead of re-sewing it where it tore near a seam. It's very long and voluminous, I could take it apart and re-sew it minus the torn bits!

And I think I'm going to use that wraparound pattern to make a skirt from the grey corduroy I have instead of the elastic-waist skirt I had planned to use. I think it will look better with the fabric.

I feel inspiration coming on! Midterms are almost over, so this weekend I think I'm hitting the sewing machine! (not literally)

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#156 of 157 Old 10-14-2006, 12:53 PM

Hey! I'm into just having the basics too. I originally got inspired by reading (I think) Simplify Your Life. The author talked about having a personal "uniform." Choosing a few quality things in colors that work for you and work well together in a cut that flatters your body. It helps when shopping, because you're looking for something specific. I read a book recently with this quote: "Know thyself; then adorn thyself accordingly." (Or something like that.) I thought it was a good motto.

Here's my question though. I've gained 50 pounds in the past year after getting on 2 medications (one of them steriods) for health problems. I plan to lose at least the 30 pounds from the steriods now that I'm off of them. But what do I do in the meantime? My clothes are uncomfortable and pull at the belly and under the arms. I just bought 2 inexpensive shirts and a pair of pants that fit (all were on sale) and I have a pair of sweats and lightweight cotton pants that fit well. I also have a pair of cropped khaki pants that fit in the morning, but hurt by the afternoon! I have a total of 4 shirts that fit well without having to stretch them before wearing them. : And a few more (my favorite t-shirts) that still pull under the arms even if I stretch them out. Should I just go ahead and buy a few more shirts? Do you think 4 pairs of pants (the only "dressy" pair are a little tight) are enough? I'm a SAHM, so I don't need work clothes.
#157 of 157 Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would probably get a few more shirts and then refashion them after you lose weight.

With weight fluctuation etc. I have found that flexible clothing is the way to go. I wore my favorite skirt--it has an elastic waistband--through my pregnancy and my low weight post-pg (135--didn't stay there). I just made a wrap skirt that goes around me 2 full times, so I could put on a serious amount of weight and still be able to wear it.

And for an update on the weekend, I made myself that grey corduroy wrap skirt, as well as a Norse apron dress for SCA garb and a garb dress for DD, both out of the fabric stash my mom gave me this summer--not fabrics I'd have chosen, but they were free, and now they're something to wear instead of just a pile in the closet!

I also rearranged my living room. I took a bookshelf that was in there and stuck it in our bedroom, and another smaller one in DD's room, and moved my desk across the room to free space up for a craft table. Now instead of using the kitchen counter, the floor, and my computer desk, I can do sewing (and scrapbooking!!!) on a reasonable work surface up out of DD's reach.

It also makes the living room more flexible for if I go ahead with my plans to do in-home childcare after I graduate.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page