The Clothing Experiment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone seen this site?
http://www.littlebrowndress.com/

I'm sure some of you have because it's gained HUGE exposure lately. Basically, this woman decides to make and wear the same brown dress for a year...in order to reject consumerism, etc. (lots of other reasons).

I found the link on another simple living board, and someone on there posted how she kind of does this...she has a "uniform" of sorts. She has 4-5 pieces of clothing and that's ALL she wears. Just rotates it around. I tend to do this for months at a time---just get really stuck on my favorite t-shirt, jeans, etc. but I always have a closetful of clothes to fall back on.

I have really been thinking about clothing and what it means to me. I cleaned out my closet and got rid of another 50% of my clothing this past weekend. It was crazy what happened when I was actually honest with myself. Most of it didn't even fit correctly or look that great!

I am going over and over in my mind trying to think if I could get it down to even just TEN items, that would be a big deal for me. The best part would be that I would only have things I absolutely loved. Things I felt great in. Great textures, great lines. It could even be an ongoing thing...one new thing in, one old thing out. My top ten would be...
  • Jeans
  • Courderoy Pants
  • Black pants
  • T-shirt (2)
  • Yoga type pants
  • Fun flowy skirt
  • Pullover sweater
  • Cardigan sweater
  • Hoody
Undergarments and swimming suits don't count. Not that I would want to get crazy about the exact number, but you know. I'd love to get down to just 5 pairs of shoes...hiking boots, Chaco sandals, Chaco flip flops, tennis shoes and Birkenstock clogs. I'm almost there.

I think it would be so freeing to actually do this. Has anyone else attempted something similar?

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#2 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am always in the process of "streamlining" my life, including my wardrobe. It's difficult, since I work in a law office and go to church, but I keep working at it.

At the moment, my wardrobe consists of:

Jeans (One pair that FITS, two that are "snug", one goal pair)
Shoes: Cowboy boots (de regour in Montana), black Danskos (birthday gift), fisherman's sandals that need repair, manky old trainers that I can't afford to replace at the moment, old black pumps that need a new home
Blouses (4 or 5)
Skirts (2 that I like, 1 that's on it's way OUT )
1 dress that I adore, but it's beginning to wear out
Jumpers (I'm not sure how many; jumpers are next on my "de-junking" list.)
Summer outfits (3, since that's how many weeks of truly hot weather we ever get in Montana! Khakis, long-sleeved T-shirts, and cardigans, at that)

I also need to go through and eliminate some of my "comfy" clothes.

I could live in Levi's and pullover jumpers. The problem is, working in a law office, one has to dress up. (I could do with some more work clothes, come to that.)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#3 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I should add that I am a work at home mama, so I don't need too many "dressy" clothes. We go to church as well, but I am comfortable just wearing jeans and a sweater or a skirt and cardigan or whatever. We have a very casual congregation It would definitely be more difficult in a workplace, but like you said, it can be streamlined.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#4 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 07:05 PM

ive been doing that all my life kinda.........i still have more clothes, but I recently started getting rid of everything I don't like, fit or wear regularly. I have noticed recently that i do rotate the same few pairs of underwear and socks....I guess from comfort reasons lol, i dont specifically search them out, I just habitually wear them.
i only have 6 pairs of shoes, 3 summer, flip flops, slides and sandles, and 3 winter, because it snows and i need some with more traction and a backup pair for if they get wet.
#5 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 07:19 PM

I have actually cut down on my clothing a lot. I have about 10 days worth of outfits for each season, plus a couple of dress-up stuff. I have a trunk of India clothes but those are mostly to wear in India because American clothes are too hot there. It really helps with our laundry and sorting things. You can see ALL of my kids clothes in the wardrobe in this slideshow, with the exception of undies and socks in the drawers. I just went shopping for 2 pairs of capri pants and 4 new tops becasue I was literally down to 5 worn out tshirts and about the same number of worn out jean shorts. I had not been clothes shopping in a serious way since before I had dd2.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...u1bMem&notag=1

My closet is similar to theirs, with my dresser holding undies, socks, 3 sets of workout clothes, and PJ's.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 PM

I tend, also, to dress in cycles of favorite outfits but have a closetful to "fall back on." I've been considering trying to do a major redux, but if I do I need to make sure those are clothes that look good/make me feel good.

My bigger concern though is that my frugal nature says, even though I only wear my black dress sandals a few times a year, there are times its a need and I don't want to ditch them and find myself buying new ones when the occassion arises. I don't have cause to dress up often, but I believe having the clothing available, even if in storage, is important to not overspending or buying things I don't love at the last minute because its something I need.
#7 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valian
I need to make sure those are clothes that look good/make me feel good.
I know...and I am finding that the more I go through my wardrobe, the more I find that I really don't feel good in at all. I really, really want to go on a little shopping spree and get a few pieces that I adore. Of course, if you're trying to save money, or not buy NEW clothes, that doesn't work, but I want to have high quality, classic pieces that last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valian
My bigger concern though is that my frugal nature says, even though I only wear my black dress sandals a few times a year, there are times its a need and I don't want to ditch them and find myself buying new ones when the occassion arises. I don't have cause to dress up often, but I believe having the clothing available, even if in storage, is important to not overspending or buying things I don't love at the last minute because its something I need.
This is where I get into trouble too...however, I have found a few things that double in duty. My flip flops are dressy enough to be worn with nice pants or with a skirt and also casual enough to go to the beach. Of course, it depends on your personal preferences. I tend to be more casual, so that helps. If I only wear it a couple times a year, I get rid of it. And then when I do "need" something again, I try to find an alternative, either in my closet or borrow, or thrift.

#8 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 08:57 PM

I love the LBD Web site. I stumbled upon it about a month ago and spent a morning going through her journal archives. It really makes you think about consumerism and modern times where clothing is so incredibly abundant.

I love the concept of a tiny wardrobe. It's so European, you know? Quality over quantity. I know my French friend has very few clothes, but what she does wear is streamlined, fabulous, and totally her.

I really want to do this, but I'm struggling with color. If I'm reducing my wardrobe to 10 or 20 items, there really needs to be some sort of fundamental color scheme. For me, I catapult between brown and black. I love black for it's simplicity, but brown is a warmer neutral that's probably more flattering to my coloring (auburn hair, hazel-brown eyes, freckles, peachy pale skin). So I have some brown "neutrals" and some black "neutrals". I feel like I need to go in one direction or the other, but perhaps not?

The other thing I struggle with are working through the seaons. I live in a place that has 14 degree days in the winter (without much precipitation, however) and 100 degree days in the summer. I'd love to shoot for 7-10 items for each season, with 10 more items in the wings for transitional seasons (this would include cropped pants, which I wear in the spring and fall, but rarely in the summer or fall).
#9 of 157 Old 06-26-2006, 10:12 PM

I am in the midst of doing it because of weight loss; I am going down a size every month or so and that leaves me with clothes to get rid of and intermediate clothes to find (thrifting!). When I get back to the size that's good for me, I expect to spend a lot of time looking for quality pieces that can mix and match - professional and casual ware. I've already magaged to pair my shoe collection down quite a bit since I bought my Keen sandals - I never want to wear anything else now.

Another great blog on this idea is Seattle Simplicity; she talks a lot about streamlining her wardrobe with quility purchases that will last for years.
#10 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 09:38 AM

OliveGirl
I also live where there's a wide range of temp (negs/with snow to upper 90) and see your list as great. The shoe part is hard for me. I made it one winter without snowboots (moved from the SE) and must get one pair for everyday wear and one for playing in the snow with dd. I need snowpants as well but just can't handle how much bigger I look in them!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#11 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 AM

:

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#12 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the link to the Little Brown Dress website. What a cool idea! A few months back I cut down my kids clothes. I cut them back to about a weeks worth of clothes. I was hoping it would stop the giant piles of laundry that appear everywhere. It did work for a while, but more clothes kept sneaking back in the house! My mum has friends that give her bags of outgrown clothes for my kids. She also buys second hand stuff for them on ebay. On Sunday I went through them all again. I've decided to give away every single shirt my boys own. They were all second hand. My boys are 2 and 4. I don't really dress them in shirts. (I don't really dress them at all - one is playing outside naked as i type this! That really cuts down on laundry!) They've got about 10 t.shirts each now. And NO shirts! The shirts are a real pain to iron.

Me and DP don't really have many clothes either. We are not really into fashion. I tend to wear the same thing over and over. I think I'd like to take a look at my clothes again. DP and I have no storage for our clothes. We just pile them in our bed room. If we could cut back even more that would be great. I don't think I will go as extreme as the Little Brown Dress experiment though!

I do worry about the ecological impact of buying clothes. Plus they were probably made by some poor person in a far away country. Virtually all our stuff is second hand. We get bags of clothing from other people. One had about 12 jackets in 9-12 month baby size. How many jackets could one baby need? Another bag had some clothes that still had tags on. Why? Because they weren't fashionable enough labels for their 3 year old to be seen in!!!!
#13 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 12:37 PM

first HI! I'm new around here

second . i love how she looks so cute in the "little brown dress"

third! I have been doing this as well.. I am down to 4 shirts i rotate,3 pairs of pants,3 pairs of shoes, pajamas, 7 pairs of socks, 7 pairs of undies, 4 bras and 1 skirt and dress shirt ( i'm a SAHM ) I may have a few other things, but this is my basic wardrobe!
#14 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 12:59 PM

its sounds awesome. we always have a closet and drawers full in addition to 2-3 baskets of stuff to fold.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#15 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveGirl
...I love the concept of a tiny wardrobe.... I really want to do this, but I'm struggling...I had no idea how stupidly large my wardrobe was until I wrote this down just now. Now what to get rid of? Where to start?
I would start with all the things you said you don't like, are poor quality, or haven't worn in years.

Then maybe move on to the things that are duplicates, keeping only the ones that you like the very best. Then maybe the "orphan" things; things that you never wear because you don't have anything to go with them.

HTH

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#16 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

What great responses! Thanks for all the insight everyone. I have started to make these changes...and I am struggling! I have 2 sides to my closet, so I went through and moved all the stuff that I thought I could live without to one side and the other side was my "keep" pile. It pretty much eliminated everything! HOWEVER...because those clothes are still just hanging there, I keep looking at them thinking...

"That shirt is soooo cute!"
"I totally might wear that sometime"
"That would be great for...."

I think to be successful, I will need to make the decision and immediately get rid of the items. Otherwise, I second guess myself. I am quite excited to do this...but I think that I have been so "trained" by the culture around me, that I think I NEED extra clothing. And that wearing the same skirt for a week is not normal (even though I know it's fine!). Just working through all of the emotions that come with it is hard.

On a different note, I will probably be replacing a few items and I'm wondering if anyone has companies that they love to buy from. Personally, I really like Lands End and J.Jill. I also love this little shop near my house that carries smaller label stuff that is made of all natural fibers, fair trade stuff, etc. Prana, Horny Toad, etc. I love hemp clothing as well, it lasts soooo long!

#17 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight
I think to be successful, I will need to make the decision and immediately get rid of the items. Otherwise, I second guess myself.
Keep us posted!! You should document your purge (photos).

I'm SO inspired. I might join you. Shoes will be tough though.
#18 of 157 Old 06-27-2006, 11:36 PM

What a great idea. I already try to keep my closet trimmed, but I really need motivation for my DD's. Girl's clothes are SO hard for me, but a girl only needs so many hawaiian print dresses! (her current fav!)

Someone was asking about brands--I personally love LLBean. I find them to be very responsible in terms of environment/social issues. They have a factory right in Freeport, ME. I may try to catch stuff off-season (sale) while I create my thinned out (but still well made) wardrobe. I tend to be very cheap when it comes to my clothes, so they aren't well made.
#19 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 01:24 AM

This is a great idea. I know I'll have trouble with it though...so hard to get rid of things, esp. clothes! But, I have a tentative plan: grab a rubbermaid tote, and go through the closet and drawers. I'll pack away the maybes and doesn't-fits, and just keep what I actually wear. If I miss an item, I can dig it out. But after a couple of months, if I don't miss anything, out the door it'll go!

Thanks for the shares and inspiration!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#20 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I took more steps toward the streamlining of my closet. Good thing I have been saving up but oh my goodness, I am loving my new skirt and shirt. I went to my favorite local store and found a great, functional dress in a wonderful fabric. Falls just below my knees and flares at the bottom. It's a rich coral color. There is just nothing that beats a well made piece of clothing. Old Navy can't compare. I also got a nice, soft tank top with a shirred front. It can be dressy or not...it's black.

I decided to repair/sew one of my favorite skirts and keep it. I also ordered something that I have wanted for sooooo long. A Superhero necklace. I figured that if my clothing was going to be simple...I wanted a fun accessory that goes with everything to "rev" it up.

This weekend I will work on getting rid of more and "planning" the rest. I'll take pics for you OliveGirl

#21 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 AM

I've been thinking about doing this for a long time. It makes so much sense. I have been slowly buying clothes from patagonia to replace things that are poor quality/stained/don't fit. The quality is great and most of Patagonia clothes are organic cotton. Plus we are moving and have very limited closet space.
I just called a charity and they will be coming by tomorrow to get old clothes. I guess I will be going through more stuff today!
#22 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I really want to do this, but I'm struggling with color. If I'm reducing my wardrobe to 10 or 20 items, there really needs to be some sort of fundamental color scheme. For me, I catapult between brown and black. I love black for it's simplicity, but brown is a warmer neutral that's probably more flattering to my coloring (auburn hair, hazel-brown eyes, freckles, peachy pale skin). So I have some brown "neutrals" and some black "neutrals". I feel like I need to go in one direction or the other, but perhaps not?
I actually have a lot of black and brown in my color scheme--but I try to choose cognac kinds of browns because they look really good with black. Just a thought.

Although I shouldn't even be participating in this thread, since I finally broke down this weekend and bought some wild color stuff (for me) because I was getting sick of my black, grey, brown and blue no-print wardrobe.
#23 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
A Superhero necklace. I figured that if my clothing was going to be simple...I wanted a fun accessory that goes with everything to "rev" it up. ...
I got a Superhero necklace in April and I love it.

Quote:
This weekend I will work on getting rid of more and "planning" the rest. I'll take pics for you OliveGirl
Yay! You'll have to post pics of your new purchases. Just curious about who makes the dress and tank top you purchased? They sound great and I'm always looking for high-quality brands. I'd love to get a dress now, but with breastfeeding, it's not going to happen for at least a year. (I have yet to find a nursing dress I actually like.)

You mentioned you like hemp. My friend bought a bunch of stuff from this woman and has been really pleased with it. I may save up for a top or two down the road. For now I'm on a buying hiatus until I pare down drastically and establish exactly what my minimal wardrobe needs.
#24 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 07:15 PM

thanks for the linkie to the little brown dress website. how awesome. i often think about those things too, consumerism, sweat shops, societal expectations of appearance, etc. it's nice to see someone put those thoughts into action. plus i'm in seattle, so we're going to her event on july 7th!

i want to really pare down our closets too, and boy it's a lot of work. i have a couple ideas for doing this that maybe someone has already mentioned, but just in case;

there are a ton of really cool books on making new clothes out of your old clothes, 108 ways to transform a tshirt (or something like that), second time cool, etc. so, now i have some plans for some stuff........

and whenever i get a hankering for it, i gather up a few bags of clothing and have a ladies clothing swap. some people call them naked lady parties. just invite all your girlfriends over to bring all their castoff clothing, accessories, shoes, etc and everyone gets new (to them) stuff to bring home. it's really a fun way to get new stuff without shopping. there's always a ton of stuff leftover to go to charity too.
#25 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 07:43 PM
nym

I got rid of a ton of clothes not too long ago! I only ever wear the same things anyways. Ill go and make a list of what I have left!
#26 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 07:46 PM

This thread has me obsessing a bit. I'm so intrigued by the idea of finding a tried and true uniform. A few key pieces that make me feel great.

Right now I'm wearing a Lands End t-shirt and a pair shorts and I feel frumpy. I have six of these t-shirts. They're 100% cotton, so as the day wears on they stretch out and end up looking blah.

I think they're going to go.

And the shorts. I hate shorts. Why do I wear them when I feel so much better and just as cool in a skirt?

I think tonight I'm going to set aside a ton of my clothes and see how I operate for a few weeks on a (summer) wardrobe that's slashed by 70%. I'm going to bag up half of my capris, most of my shorts, and all t-shirts that don't fit to my liking. And I'm going to wear the heck out of what's left.

Photos to come!
#27 of 157 Old 06-28-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym
I got rid of a ton of clothes not too long ago! I only ever wear the same things anyways. Ill go and make a list of what I have left!
Please do, yes!
#28 of 157 Old 06-29-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
This thread has me obsessing a bit. I'm so intrigued by the idea of finding a tried and true uniform. A few key pieces that make me feel great.
during my pregnancy, i ended up having a uniform of one dress, one pair of pants and one top........even though i had other stuff, i only liked those things.
#29 of 157 Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This thread has me obsessing a bit.
I KNOW! Obsessed! I have really started to deconstruct my assumptions about clothes and all the emotions that go along with it. I'm trying to find the balance between wanting to look and feel pretty and just not caring what others think.

We are in a hotel for a few days right now and I purposely didn't bring many clothes just to "test" myself. I love traveling lighter...that has been a big problem for me in the past, and we travel A LOT. I'm ready for a change in that area. It's nice if there are laundry facilities available...or even a sink/soap. I washed a few of DD's clothes in the sink last night and they were dry this morning.

Also, finding out what truly looks nice on you is important. For years, I've picked out scoop neck tank tops, etc. I have realized that v-neck looks more flattering, and a shirred bust, even better. If you don't feel AMAZING in it, you probably don't look that great it it! I think that no matter your shape or size, there is clothing out there that will flatter you.

I started thinking about this "disposable" obsessed culture that we live in. I have switched my house to completely re-usable/cloth everything (even toilet paper!) ... so why do I buy disposable clothing? The items that I've bought from Old Navy, Target and other discount stores are usually a one- season item and then they are trashed. If I would just buy higher quality to begin with, many resources (and headaches) would be saved. I've always liked the higher quality stuff, but have been impatient and decided to fulfill a WANT instead of saving up some money to buy the better piece.

I think that if I would just avoid even going into those cheaper stores to look at clothes, I could save so much money. Yes, the clearance racks are wonderful, but do I really NEED another t-shirt? Another skirt? Another sweater? I don't want to discount some people's true NEED for inexpensive or even free clothing because if you can hardly afford to eat, I'm not saying you should go and buy an expensive piece of clothing. Just saying that I want to TRY to buy better quality.

Also, I've found that when you have less clothing, you tend to take care of what you have. With my "disposable" clothing, I didn't care if something stained it or if it ripped. I am starting to line dry all of my clothes too....to keep them nicer longer. Kind of a "slow clothes" movement hee hee. Just like the slow food movement wants to enjoy the food, slow down, eat more naturally....so I want to enjoy my clothes : Has Sara gone off the deep end? I think I'm rambling. But I've just been thinking about all of this so much lately. Hopefully some of it connects with someone out there.

OliveGirl, this thread was supposed to help us simplify life, not make it more crazy by obsessing about it. hee hee! The end result will be fabulous though. Can't wait to see your pics! I'll post mine later when I get back home.

#30 of 157 Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 AM

This is a great idea! I hadn't thought about it much before, although I don't have to much in the way of clothes compared to a lot of people (especially DH). I might give this purge a try too!

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page