Tour of my house - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 07-03-2006, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow, you should be proud of your home and what you have accomplished.

Now, if you find you need some more to do, I can always pm you my address...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 AM

Nice house! I love the bedroom wall colour and master bath looks great!!

I saw the pics first and thought "wow! that's A LOT of toys!" and then I read your post and just stunned when I read below comment!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
The kids still have a lot of toys but not as many as their friends.
WOW!!!! How many more toys their friends have and actually how many a kid needs? Of course I don't have kids yet.....so I'm like :

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#33 of 45 Old 07-04-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noorjahan
Nice house! I love the bedroom wall colour and master bath looks great!!

I saw the pics first and thought "wow! that's A LOT of toys!" and then I read your post and just stunned when I read below comment!!!!!

WOW!!!! How many more toys their friends have and actually how many a kid needs? Of course I don't have kids yet.....so I'm like :
Oh you should see my friends' houses! I'm not saying it's a bad thing-- every family is different. But every one of my friends who has more than one child has a whole room devoted to toys. And the rooms are filled to the brim. Most houses here come with a formal livingroom and a family room. The formal livingrooms are often converted into a kid play area. At one point we had a toy room in our spare room and it was just a chaotic mess. The kids had fun pulling the toys out from where they belonged and that's how they played, rather than playing with the actual toys.

I did a major toy culling and got rid of over half of them. I just recently gave away all the plastic Little Tykes type yard toys except one. I did not set out to buy that many toys. Most were bought one by one on a trip to the thrift store, a toy to keep them quiet, or some good quality toy that was really expensive new, but here it was for $2. Too good to pass that up, right? Also, we live in extreme heat from mid-May to late-Sept and it's too hot to play outside unless you go to a water park. So I figured that more toys was okay in our weather situation-- they need to entertain themselves. I also think that the reason for so many toys is because most mamas I know are doing it without any extended family help and it's hard to get anything done with little ones underfoot who are bored.

Soon I had so many toys for them that the house was a huge mess all the time and it was overwhelming to clean them up, so I just tossed them back in the toy room and shut the door. Now with our "smaller" house (not using the one bedroom) I had the rule, a place for everything and everything in its place. No duplicate toys, either. We didn't need three different shape sorters even if each of them were good shape sorters. We don't need a toy set of pots and pans and cups, because they play with my real ones most of the time anyway.

Now I have it down so that I can usually pick up our house in 20 minutes or less. If it takes longer than that, it's a sign that we have too much stuff.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#34 of 45 Old 07-04-2006, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I noticed your TV was covered with a textile. I have wanted to sew a cozy for my bedroom tv because its presence is intrusive. Did you sew a cube or did you just drape a textile over it?
I just draped a textile over it. I do sew, but haven't had time lately. A TV cozy is a good idea! I wish we had bought a TV cabinet that closed, but my IL's bought that one for us so we are not complaining.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#35 of 45 Old 07-04-2006, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, one other thing we did last winter. I got electric blankets for everyone and kept the house heat down lower (yes it does get cold in AZ). I know there are pros and cons to this. I have Reynaud's so it helped me a lot and then dh wanted one and that's how it went. The blankets are thin and they store easily during the summer. I have all these thick comforters that are hard to store in the summer. I'm in the process of culling them down to two, in case of guests. Also this week I'm culling down our extra sheets and thin blankets. I have no idea how we collected so many! Each bed now has one sheet set. It can be washed and put back on by bedtime. I have one extra sheet for the girls' room in case someone wets the bed or vomits. And one extra queen size for guests. That's it!

#36 of 45 Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 AM

I love your children's bunk bed's! They are like waldorf playstands. Where did you get them?
#37 of 45 Old 07-05-2006, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster
I love your children's bunk bed's! They are like waldorf playstands. Where did you get them?
We bought them from a local bed store before the IKEA opened in our area. I liked the look of them. When taken apart, the tall bottom ends becomes the head board for each bed, and the short top ends become the foot boards. I think it was called "Roman" style. Here's one on this website:
http://www.foamorder.com/bunk_beds.html The rainbow tops are from IKEA. I paid $10 each for them on sale. And $10 each for the rainbow bedding sets that match them.

#38 of 45 Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 AM

Beautiful, just beautiful!!!
#39 of 45 Old 07-08-2006, 03:49 AM

So nice! Thanks for sharing - and inspiring! I, too love the bed and the green walls. Kitty looks so happy there!
#40 of 45 Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 PM

That was fun! You have a beautiful home. I love your kitchen. It will look great in red, too

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#41 of 45 Old 07-11-2006, 02:17 AM

'K I LOVE the entertainment center. That is the exact one I have been coveting in the IKEA catalog for a couple of years now!

Very nice home.

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :
#42 of 45 Old 07-11-2006, 03:12 PM

It looks fantastic.
#43 of 45 Old 07-12-2006, 02:47 AM

Very pretty!

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#44 of 45 Old 07-22-2006, 10:50 PM

Great organization....looks like you got it under control! Sweet kitty, too.
#45 of 45 Old 07-26-2006, 11:39 PM

lovely!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page