Had a marvelous decluttering idea. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-30-2006, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking that I may donate my video collection to the local library. That way I would have access to it and get it out of my house.

I'd keep a VERY select few. Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Wizard of OZ, Beauty and the Beast could stay. Cinderella, Pocahontas and Mulan could move on.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#2 of 13 Old 06-30-2006, 12:07 PM

That's exactly why I don't have a video collection. I get everything I need from the library!

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#3 of 13 Old 06-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Fence
I was thinking that I may donate my video collection to the local library. That way I would have access to it and get it out of my house.

I'd keep a VERY select few. Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Wizard of OZ, Beauty and the Beast could stay. Cinderella, Pocahontas and Mulan could move on.
You could also donate them to your local children's hospital if you are so inclined. there are tons of kids who are hospital patients for weeks on end and having different movies to watch is a nice change of pace.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#4 of 13 Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 PM

Weirdly, our library won't take donated materials. We've actually offered to donate non-fiction DVDs, and instead of taking ours, they ordered new ones of their own! But yes, we decided that we have no need to own any videos because they're always available for free from the library. (We can reserve what we want.)
#5 of 13 Old 07-01-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
Weirdly, our library won't take donated materials. We've actually offered to donate non-fiction DVDs, and instead of taking ours, they ordered new ones of their own! But yes, we decided that we have no need to own any videos because they're always available for free from the library. (We can reserve what we want.)
The videos and dvds that the library purchases are the same movies that we can purchase, but they are made for industrial use. I asked my dh why they didn't take donated materials, he's a librarian, and that was the reason I got. Just in case you wondered because it does seem really silly to decline donations.
#6 of 13 Old 07-01-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfeet
The videos and dvds that the library purchases are the same movies that we can purchase, but they are made for industrial use. I asked my dh why they didn't take donated materials, he's a librarian, and that was the reason I got. Just in case you wondered because it does seem really silly to decline donations.
Interesting. There are many libraries that do accept dvd donations however so maybe it's something the library should reconsider.
#7 of 13 Old 07-01-2006, 11:54 AM

Sounds like a great idea! Just check to see if your library actually needs them (not just that they'll take them). My dh is a librarian and when he worked at the public library, donations were a real hassle. They didn't usually need/want them, but they were not able to dispose of them without a lot of paperwork, legwork, etc. If they don't actually need the videos, they'll end up needlessly soaking up library resources.
#8 of 13 Old 07-01-2006, 12:33 PM

I've actually done a similar thing with books. Which, most libraries will take I believe. That is if you want/need to get rid of any books. Personally I had a million books that weren't getting read anymore, so we gathered them all up (made tons of room on the book shelves we do have) and gave them to our library. I will point out they were in good shape though!

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#9 of 13 Old 07-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzmeg
Sounds like a great idea! Just check to see if your library actually needs them (not just that they'll take them). My dh is a librarian and when he worked at the public library, donations were a real hassle. They didn't usually need/want them, but they were not able to dispose of them without a lot of paperwork, legwork, etc. If they don't actually need the videos, they'll end up needlessly soaking up library resources.
Ah, okay. See at our library you don't even donate to the library itself. You donate to the friends of the library and then the librarians can select what they need after the friends have organized it and so forth. Anything the library doesn't want goes into the huge booksale and the library gets the money from that, specifically to buy for the collection. So even if they don't use what you give them your donation is still worthwhile. I guess we're lucky to have such a great system in place!
#10 of 13 Old 07-01-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzmeg
or they sell them in the library book sales.
#11 of 13 Old 07-01-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
or they sell them in the library book sales.
Totally depends on the bureaucracy of your local library; not all libraries can take care of unwanted books so easily. That's definately a better system, though!

Just give them a call and see what they say
#12 of 13 Old 07-04-2006, 11:55 PM

You could just put them as one big lot on Ebay if the library doesn't want them. Or put them on Freecycle...I'm sure someone in your area would be more than willing to pick them up.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#13 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 02:59 AM

Oh I never thought of donating to the library! We have gone totally DVD after our VCR broke. I have a whole box of videos I don't know what to do with.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page