So I have too many books - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-01-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a homeschool mom and a book-a-holic. Unfortunately we don't many bookshelves or places to put bookshelves. So I am getting creative!

First I turned the 2nd linen closet in our house into a book closet! Now that is filled so I am having Dh add shelves between the divided hanging racks in the guest bedroom and in the playroom. I don't have any clothes in those areas anyway. I also got Ds a headboard with a bookshelf built in it! His nightstand is also open at the bottom so books fit there too!

I love books so much and we read all the time! I do need to declutter my "before kids" books to make room for more homeschool stuff.

Anyone have any other book storage ideas?

Just thought I would share.
#2 of 7 Old 07-04-2006, 10:34 PM

I wish I had some more ideas for you. Just posting to say that I'm also a book-a-holic with not enough shelves! I just can't help myself...I'm always coming home from a garage sale with a bag full of books I have no room for. : If I had more money, I'd have a house with a library/office with tons of shelves full of books!!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#3 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 02:58 AM

I used to be this way . . . I love books! But I started to think-- I am never going to enjoy all of these books and they are not worth the real-estate in my house. So I totally culled them. It took several sessions over months. I first got rid of the ones I knew I would never read again, OR ones that I would read but were available at the public library. Then I culled down further and further until I am down to two big shelves of books. If it doesn't fit on the shelf, something must go so it can stay. We are getting two rows deep on some of the shelves, though.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 03:02 AM

Another Bookaholic here !!!
I think I could cull some, but not enough to truly make a difference.
HAHA I need a bigger house with a Library !
#5 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, a home library is my dream! I even have it all mapped out in my head of how I would set it up! I just need a bigger house.

Nice to know I am not the only one with a book problem! I just get so attached to the books after I read them. And with homeschooling and all we read so many children's books over and over! Then I save them to read to my little one when she gets older (she is a baby now).
#6 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 12:28 PM

another book-aholic here
I've been clearing some of them out, though, using amazon.com to sell them. It's hard to part with them, but getting a few dollars does make it easier

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#7 of 7 Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 PM

I second the idea about selling on amazon.com. I got rid of a lot of books that way (mainly redundant home improvement guides, outdated antique directories that others collect, lazy-beach/cruise reading novels I have no desire to read again, etc.). And to help ease the pain--I'm a book-aholic too--I pass on books that I no longer need after I've moved beyond a certain stage/phase in my life, like beginner house-buying books. I always run into friends and acquaintances who could use what I no longer need.

I've also sold/given away CDs I know I'll NEVER listen to again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page