Here's my plan...anyone want to join me? :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really should have joined in that July 1st challenge, but I just came across that thread.

Starting Sunday I am giving myself ONE WEEK to declutter the entire house. The glitch here is that I can only declutter my stuff and none of dh's (and he has way more clutter then I do), but I've decided that I can only control what I have control over and I just have to let the rest go.

So, I don't know if I should have a total number of items in mind. I'm just going room by room until I'm done. I'm hoping it is over 500. We'll see.

I was also planning to deep clean each room as I decluttered, but I've decided to declutter first. If there is still time left in the week, then I'll tackle some cleaning projects.

Of course, I'll update here frequently. That's really the motivating factor!

So just one day left to be lazy and then I'm getting in gear for real this time!

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2006, 03:16 AM

Oooo, this sounds good.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:38 PM

you have my full support.

i think i may join you too.. but i dont know if i can come up with 500 items though. we have a moderate amount of crap left (i've done several little purges over the past year and in the first few got rid of ALOT).
Old 07-08-2006, 02:42 PM

oh, and definately do the deep cleaning after you've de-cluttered. ok i decided.. i will be joining you. i'm going to start with the kitchen tomorrow and move onto the bedroom (clothes).
Old 07-08-2006, 04:30 PM

I'm the decluttering Queen... if it cannot be thrown away, it all goes into those smart storage boxes. That includes the little mans toys and S's tools and CD, paperwork etc etc.

Hail the storage Box !!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I have company! I'm itching to start. I'm going to start in ds's room since it h as the least clutter and I can knock one room off my list very quickly. Then either the kitchen or my clothes.

See you tomorrow!

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 PM

I'm in!

I just brough two kitchen trash bags and one black trash bag to gw. All that was in them was clothes : .

It was so fulfilling
Old 07-09-2006, 01:21 AM

This is just the thread I was searching for. I finally threw my hands in the air today and had a good cry. I am now ready to declutter EVERYTHING!!! Dh is a packrat and he finally gave me permission to "throw it all away". I'm sure he doesn't really mean it, but now that he's said it, tomorrow it begins....
Good luck everyone!~ Lets see what all we can do in one week!!!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Let's get at it!

I'll have to say that I couldn't have picked a worse week! I only got a couple of hours of sleep last night and just drove 4 hours (got up at 2:45 a.m.). I have HOURS of bookkeeping to do for dh's business. I have 3 meetings this week, 3 social events scheduled, and my friend is due to have her baby any day now. I'm exhausted and I haven't even started yet!

However, I am still really looking forward to this decluttering! I'd like to have the bulk of it done by Thursday morning, as that is trash day for us. I think I'll also see if a charity will pick up stuff from here at the end of the week. Otherwise I'll load it up in the car.

I'm starting in ds's room. Just need to grab a trash bag and a box for items to donate.

Post updates, please, my fellow declutterers!

Old 07-09-2006, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just did ds's room!!! Honestly, it is very organized already. I thought I'd get rid of a few clothes (already pretty well picked through) and a couple other things. Imagine my surprise when I was able to bag up to donate:

3 stuffed animals
10 books
9 videos
30 pairs of socks
3 pairs of shoes
11 articles of clothing
1 baby monitor
1 picture frame

and into the trash went:
1 broken back massager (he used to play with it)
1 bottle of gas drops (misguided advice when he was 2 weeks old)
1 bag of cut-up fleece (do not use blue fleece to line white diapers!)
19 hangers
1 package from a shopping cart cover

So from my MOST organized room I just purged 91 items!!! :

Must decide which room to tackle next! This is so much fun!!!

Old 07-09-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I decided to just go ahead and do the guest room, which is next to ds's. It is mostly empty. The closet has dh's work clothes. I keep craft stuff and Christmas stuff in the top of it. Again, I thought it would be just a few items.

To donate:
1 champagne glass (!)
1 roll of ribbon
several yards of fleece (again, don't buy blue fleece for white dipes)
1 necklace
1 embroidery floss winder
10 x-stitch books
5 potholders
1 lighted tree angel
1 Noel pillow
1 Peace pillow
1 felt snowman
3 dishtowels
3 ornaments
1 ceramic (?) snowman
1 musical nativity
1 gift book
1 bath towel
2 wash cloths
1 johnny jump-up

and trash:
1 smooshed bow
21 old containers of paint
1 bag of dried up balloons
8 random pieces of trash
2 old brushes
3 plastic rings
3 marbles
1 pkg of ponytail holders (if you could see how short my hair is, you'd laugh)
1 film container of itty-bitty nails (what were they for??? and glazing points)
3 long-unfinished x-stitch projects (oh the hours!)
3 old pr. earrings
1 piece of shrinky-dink plastic!!!
1 travel sewing kit (partially used)
1 empty film container
1 picture frame
1 gift bag
2 gift boxes
2 bags of fabric scraps

total for guest room: 93
Grand total so far: 184

Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM

trini - you rock

I haven't gotten any rooms down. This morning while the kids were having breakfast I went through a box that was sort of a catchall beside my computer and threw away one shopping bag stuffed full of papers and old mail and put a three ring binder in the donate pile.

From my dss room (and I'm not even close to finished!) this is what I've done so far :

to donate:
2 pairs of shorts
3 pairs of pants
18 shirts
2 one piece outfits
1 jacket
1 blanket
1 dress (old maternity dress that ds#2 found in my closet, wore around for a while and ditched under his dresser)
7 cloth diapers
6 stuffed animals

trash:
1 sock and 4 random pieces of trash

total so far : 47 items and 1 bag of papers
Old 07-09-2006, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Bellona, you are doing GREAT!

I had to take a little break. While ds was napping I did some paperwork for dh and then tried to take a bit of a nap. I am SOOO tired. Of course, by the time I lay down for my nap, ds was up. I might as well keep working, since I can't nap when he is awake!

We'll both get some lunch and then tackle another area. I must say that he has been very cooperative during this. I keep finding little things for him to play with and it has has helped that in both rooms so far I've been able to keep the stuff I'm sorting through up high and out of his reach. I never realized how many little chokey things I have.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OK I am so inspired by this I .....

took three (count 'em) ONE, TWO, THREE black trash bags stuffed so full you could barely carry them of clothes to GW today!!!!!!!!!!! It had to be at least 150 items. Also last night I went through years of pictures. Sorted out all the goofy "I'd never want that in an album or scrapbook", the ones I have 6 shots of the exact same thing, blurry ones, eyes shut accidentally. Kept all the good ones and pitched the crap. I had : two black trash bags full. It was ridiculous how many we had been given by well meaning family members of ones we already had. I can't count that towards the goal cause it was well over 500 by itself.

Thank you OP for this inspiration!!

Melissa
Old 07-09-2006, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, Melissa!!!

Don't you just love the feeling when you get a job done like sorting the pictures? It doesn't have the visual impact of getting rid of 3 bags of clothes, but it also feels wonderful!

How are all the other mamas doing??? (Probably decluttering instead of online like me. )

I did a bit more and will post later. Need to do some more bookkeeping for dh while ds is napping.

ETA: I just read your post more carefully. (Did I mention how TIRED I am?) You had 2 black trash bags of photo junk? Wow! That is absolutely amazing!

Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Jumping in w/ both feet! I have a bunch of stuff tha tneeds a new home! We plan to have a yard sale in a few weeks, so my stuff will be counted when it is packaged/priced and ready to go... now I"m off to get started!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned

Tomorrow.

I do plan to completely declutter the entire house by the summer's end.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:14 PM

Argh!! Have you ever tried emptying out a closet with an almost 2 year old SITTING IN IT????? It's been a long slow day

I'm still working in my dss' room. In addition to what I posted before I've purged

1 Mcdonald's play restaurant set
1 of those annoying popper push toys that my kids have never played with
3 more cloth diapers
4 more shirts
61 random pieces of trash (pen caps, pieces of paper, pieces of crayon, odd broken toys and anything I don't recognize )
1 toy purse
2 more stuffed animals
2 books (I have another pile, but I haven't counted them yet. they'll make it on the next post)
1 rattle
1 hat
2 pairs of pants
44 junky plastic toys in all shapes and sizes
1 pair of slippers
2 pairs of shoes
1 talking dora doll
1 baby brush and 1 baby comb
3 noisy toys with no other purpose than to cause insanity

total this post : 131
total so far : 178 and one shopping bag of papers
Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 PM

Argh!! Have you ever tried emptying out a closet with an almost 2 year old SITTING IN IT????? It's been a long slow day

I'm still working in my dss' room. In addition to what I posted before I've purged

1 Mcdonald's play restaurant set
1 of those annoying popper push toys that my kids have never played with
3 more cloth diapers
4 more shirts
61 random pieces of trash (pen caps, pieces of paper, pieces of crayon, odd broken toys and anything I don't recognize )
1 toy purse
2 more stuffed animals
2 books (I have another pile, but I haven't counted them yet. they'll make it on the next post)
1 rattle
1 hat
2 pairs of pants
44 junky plastic toys in all shapes and sizes
1 pair of slippers
2 pairs of shoes
1 talking dora doll
1 baby brush and 1 baby comb
3 noisy toys with no other purpose than to cause insanity

total this post : 131
total so far : 178 and one shopping bag of papers
Old 07-09-2006, 08:44 PM

I wanted to ask...are you all organizing as you go or saving that for later?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:48 PM

I need to join in. I have so many stacks of old mail that I keep telling myself I will shred eventually. Well, it is time I get started. I am terrified of all the junk in ds room that needs to be declutter and thrown away. There isn't a better time than now for me to get started.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:51 PM

Unfortunately I am not totally done with the picture situation. I now have to get all our photos that are in frames (that aren't being displayed) out of the frames. Over time they will adhere to the glass and ruin the picture. I have 2 rubbermaid tubs of those. Many of the frames are cheapie dollar store ones and I will GW those also. After that process, I am going to start getting them into albums.: OY! I reduced my clothes by 40% and kids the same amount. My dh is another story...how many "working in the yard" tee shirts can a man need? Oh well.

My thing that will never be reduced as well as everything is our books. As HS'ers we have lots and lots. But there are much worse things to be cluttered with
Old 07-09-2006, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellona
I wanted to ask...are you all organizing as you go or saving that for later?
The two rooms I've done were already pretty organized, so there was nothing to do there. When I get to someplace like, say, the garage I'm going to have to do some organizing. Maybe it will be more like "straightening," though. I mean, to really organize I need shelves and things and I'm not doing that quite yet with this decluttering project.

Even with the 2 year old, you've gotten a lot done today! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessoflove
I need to join in. I have so many stacks of old mail that I keep telling myself I will shred eventually. Well, it is time I get started. I am terrified of all the junk in ds room that needs to be declutter and thrown away. There isn't a better time than now for me to get started.
Do you have a shredder? I've wanted to get one for years. I borrowed one from work once to do a major clean-out of our files. It is to tedious to tear everything up. A bonfire would be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz
Unfortunately I am not totally done with the picture situation. I now have to get all our photos that are in frames (that aren't being displayed) out of the frames. Over time they will adhere to the glass and ruin the picture. I have 2 rubbermaid tubs of those. Many of the frames are cheapie dollar store ones and I will GW those also. After that process, I am going to start getting them into albums. OY! I reduced my clothes by 40% and kids the same amount. My dh is another story...how many "working in the yard" tee shirts can a man need? Oh well.

My thing that will never be reduced as well as everything is our books. As HS'ers we have lots and lots. But there are much worse things to be cluttered with
You have a lot of pictures! I have the same situation with pictures in frames but not displayed (but not as many as you). I do have my pictures in albums, but I never saved room in the album for the ones in the frames (and I like to keep them in chronological order). So that messes me up.

Hmmm. Let me count dh's t-shirts and I'll tell you how many a man "needs."

I hear you on the books. I'm not HSing, but I'm a teacher. Most of my books are at school, but ds's library is steadily growing.

I did a little bit more cleaning out of areas tonight, but will post the list tomorrow. I promised myself I'd go to bed at 10:00 tonight since I got so little sleep last night.

Now I just have to go move the stuff off the bed that I piled on there!

Old 07-09-2006, 11:58 PM

Someone on another thread said their man had 45 pairs of shoes. Geez! Bless her heart she got him down to 25. Tee shirts...last winter I got cranky about it and cut four for rags. Mind you very little had to actually be cut more just start at any one hole and rip. He was appalled LOL.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz
Someone on another thread said their man had 45 pairs of shoes. Geez! Bless her heart she got him down to 25. Tee shirts...last winter I got cranky about it and cut four for rags. Mind you very little had to actually be cut more just start at any one hole and rip. He was appalled LOL.
We have a walk-in closet in our bedroom, and reach-in closets in the other bedrooms. DH has clothes in the guest bedroom closet, the office closet (a double), and half of our closet. Plus he has a huge master chest (armoire-type thing). He has impressed me lately by every once in a while contributing one of his old t-shirts to the rag pile. There is hope!

Who am I kidding. I'm not in bed by 10! I desperately needed to do diaper laundry and then decided to post the rest of what I pulled out so I can close the books on today!

I worked on random areas depending on where ds wanted to play since he got a little antsy after a while. Eventually neither of us could take it anymore and we went to the grocery store for an hour and a half. I didn't really need any groceries, but we have fun walking around and when he was strapped into the cart I didn't have to chase him and remove him from dangerous situations, houseplants, behind the toilet, etc.

So...

I did one section of our entertainment center and tossed 34 magazines/catalogs. I did browse through them quickly and pull out some pages that I wanted to keep - these will be filed soon.

I also worked in our bedroom and finished my nightstand and dresser.

To donate:
1 book (What to Expect When You're Expecting)
1 back massager
9 candles
2 candle holders
1 jewelry box
1 ornament
12 teacher pins
2 bracelets
5 belts
6 articles of clothing

Thrown away:
1 huge bag of random assorted trash
4 mismatched socks
1 bag of old first aid supplies
1 bottle of nail polish (again, if you knew me, this would be hysterical)
1 rubber bracelet (for MS, I believe, but I never wear it)
18 articles of clothing too ratty to give away

Grand total for the FIRST day of my WEEKLONG decluttering attack:

(drumroll, please) :

284 items

Old 07-10-2006, 04:08 AM

sorry i've been MIA. i couldn't of picked a worse week too! yesterday i had no chance to clean as we had to do other stuff and then go visit in-laws. today i woke up with the most excruciating muscular pain in my pelvic area (im pregnant) and just didn't want to move. it's gone now, but that took away half the day. dh is going on yet another business trip this week for two full days. lucky me. you can never get anything done alone with dd. it's like shovelling snow when it's snowing.

but right now, i swear i am going to get up and start. i really am. i just spoke to dh and even told him on the phone! so here goes... i'll report later with what i've gotten rid of.

way to go everyone on the de-cluttering so far!! i'm wayyyy behind..
Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 AM

Wow. Great idea. So simple, yet something I can never do it seems. LOL.

We are doing that this week and next though. Preparing for a garage sale on the 22nd.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:32 AM

SO FAR.. from the kitchen, bathroom and our "organised" room:

going to goodwill:
*ceramic cup
*SS tongs
*wooden spoon
*wooden fork utensil
*wooden spatula with holes
*ceramic bowl
*a huge bag of gold christmas tinsel because dd just likes to drag around and rip up tinsel come christmas time -- new baby will probably do the same. and i've never really liked tinsel anyway.
*6 wallets
*2 candles
*1 plastic water pistol toy
*costume jewellery * 2
*cast iron doorstopper
*green ribbon
*gift box
*large photo frame with picture inside
*clipboard
*50 something postcards from hong kong
*plastic wallet
*2 gift bags

to the local library:
*2 books

recycling:
*2 full bags of paper, plastic and glass

in the trash:
*a peice of a plastic utensil that is now broken
*broken wooden peg
*1 plastic water pistol that is now broken
*bent plastic paintbrush
*broken hairclip
*broken letter opener
*ice pack that is no longer usable

to be sold:
*two simpsons board games, each played once only (mint condition).
Old 07-10-2006, 10:20 AM

I was going to post the last few things I did before I went to bed last night, but the computer was in use. So here it is :

1 sock
12 junk toys
1 remote control dump truck from walmart a couple of years ago that's never worked
1 piece of random trash
1 stuffed animal
1 shirt
2 puzzles
1 scanner with accomp. cords

and the final category is books....are you ready for this??

105 books!!!

...and that was only from the boys' room . Can you tell we're homeschoolers?

Most of these books have been in boxes in their closet because we just don't have the room for them.

My boys' room is not really well organized at all. All the toys are thrown in together and it's kind of hard to find things. I've been wanting to hang some shelves in there to have more space to organize the toys, books and games. I was debating if I should do that this week or just focus on decluttering, but I think I'm going to do it. Maybe today, but I promised dd that I would get her room done and I have a couple of appointments today.

Oops, I forgot the totals. Here they are:
total for this post : 125
total for the first day : 303 and one shopping bag full of paper
Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

I have a bag full of clothes to donate to the thrift shop.

I'm going to donate the "spare" dishes that I never use. If I run out of the regular plates (a rarity,) I go for paper, so those are getting donated. And the two glasses that are left that have an odd shape bottom that pools water in the dishwasher are not destined for a long life in this house, so add them to the bag.

User Tag List