what do to about the newspaper? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-10-2006, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What have you all done regarding the newspaper? We get the local Sunday paper and end up throwing out (recycling) at least half of it unread, off the bat. The rest piles up in the hopes that we'll get around to reading some of it during the week. We usually get through the magazine and maybe 1 or 2 other sections. I have a foot-high pile of newpaper on my kitchen counter at all times. I am sick of it.

I would love to cancel it, but I also want to support our local newspapers which have had financial trouble recently. Neither paper has online paid subscriptions (this is the first time I'd be willing to pay for online content, ironically).

How do you reconcile wanting less clutter vs. supporting a business you want to help keep alive?
#2 of 29 Old 07-10-2006, 07:25 PM

Is your kitchen counter where it sits until recycling comes to pickup? Is there somewhere else you can store it until it goes to recycling? I usually just take out all the sections I won't read and put the rest in recycling immediately.

We have ours in the basement, so when I'm done, it goes there. Not really cluttering at all, since it gets picked up every 2 weeks.

I should add that I did end up cancelling our paper sub for this exact reason. Never read enough to make it worth it. But I didn't care for our paper much anyway!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#3 of 29 Old 07-10-2006, 07:39 PM

I buy the newspaper to be supportive also. Most of times I don't have time to read it all. The first thing I do is remove the coupons

After that, regardless if it is read or unread, when recycling day comes around, into the recycle bin it goes to be recycled.
#4 of 29 Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 PM

I know schools use newspapers..maybe you can donate the paper to a local school? Here, if you want to stop your subscription for awhile (such as when going on vacation), you have the option of having your paper donated to a local school while you're out of town (or just extending your subscription X number of days, however long you're gone for). So I would imagine there should be a way for your newspaper, even the weekend editions, to be delivered to a school for its use in the classrooms.
#5 of 29 Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 PM

we cut our waste down by only subscribing on certain days....we get wed,thur,fri and sun....for $1 a week.
#6 of 29 Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 PM

oops double post
#7 of 29 Old 07-11-2006, 02:19 AM

I have a cupboard for the to-be-recycled newspapers.

When it's getting full I take them to the recycling bins.

I'm pretty ruthless about recycling unread papers.

I also recycle coupons, etc. right away.

I do have a magazine rack that's big enough to hold newspapers. That's where I keep the Sunday papers I haven't read. They don't pile up on me too much so it works.
#8 of 29 Old 07-11-2006, 08:17 AM

I wouldn't read the local paper if someone paid me so it's not a problem. I pick up the Sunday edition for 50c on Monday at the corner market for the coupons.

I do read the NYT and Salon online.
#9 of 29 Old 07-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Cancel the paper, read what you want online, and just make a donation to them if you want to support them.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#10 of 29 Old 07-11-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Cancel the paper, read what you want online, and just make a donation to them if you want to support them.
:

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#11 of 29 Old 07-11-2006, 10:36 PM

I would just suggest that you offer pay someone's subscription for them - a neighbor or family member. That way, you don't have to deal with the physical paper and you're supporting the paper at the same time.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#12 of 29 Old 07-11-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlo
I would just suggest that you offer pay someone's subscription for them - a neighbor or family member. That way, you don't have to deal with the physical paper and you're supporting the paper at the same time.
that reminds me of something my grandma used to do, she shared her paper with a neighbour, she would read it, then give it to her neighbour.
#13 of 29 Old 07-12-2006, 04:35 AM

As RM suggested, could you donate it somewhere or pass it on to a neighbor? We have an arrangement with our neighbors where we get their National Geographics and they get our Economists. We have another neighbor who gives us her Sunday paper when they are finished with it.

If you get the paper every day, what about just getting the Sunday edition?
#14 of 29 Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM

We stopped getting, we weren't reading it and it was just one more thing I was having to deal with. I feel better not getting it. I read news online and when I want the coupons I get them from a friend who doesn't use them.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#15 of 29 Old 07-12-2006, 03:34 PM

We just cancelled our paper.

When we were getting it, we had a basket under an end table in the family room and all the paper went in there. Come trash day, it all went in the recycling bin.

It felt wasteful to get it since we could hardly read it all. We decided to just buy a single copy when we want to read (i.e. usually at a coffeeshop on the weekends).

I would like us to still have a local paper, so I'm not sure about that aspect. :s
#16 of 29 Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 PM

I say cancel it. You can put your energy and money into other worthwhile local stores instead. No need to deal with this clutter and turmoil that is easily taken care of.
#17 of 29 Old 07-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Is it even actually local? Or is it owned by a larger media conglomerate?

I don't get the newspaper. If I did, I would use it to mulch my plants outside.
#18 of 29 Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM

I said that we cancelled ours, but it just keeps coming! It's been two weeks since we cancelled and it is still showing up every day. :
#19 of 29 Old 07-21-2006, 02:02 AM

Do you support every single local business, or just ones you can actually use? Cuz we only support ones we use, and it sounds like this is something you don't use.
#20 of 29 Old 07-21-2006, 08:48 AM

Not sure about this, but my understanding is that most media outlets get their main support from advertising, and that the main point of the suscriber base is to woo advertisers by showing how many people would actually read the ad. My point is that if it's a matter of support, perhaps ads for causes you applaud or paid classified ads might be the way to go. But I would also agree with previous posters that focusing on local products you actually use would make the most sense. Think of it this way--the longer you can keep your money circulating in the local community, the more likely it is to eventually help out local businesses even if you don't directly use them.

Also, newspaper can be used in gardening (according to what I've read, not what I've done).
#21 of 29 Old 07-21-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant
II don't get the newspaper. If I did, I would use it to mulch my plants outside.

That's what we do with any newspaper type stuff we get. We don't get our local paper (read it online) but we do get some junk mail every week that's on newsprint and it gets shredded and used as mulch.
#22 of 29 Old 07-22-2006, 09:22 PM

I agree whole-heartedly with Trini's post. View what you want online, make a donation. Win-Win. Support your local paper business, declutter & less waste for our planet. Or is that a Win-Win-Win? Good Luck.
#23 of 29 Old 07-23-2006, 06:09 AM

Can you pass it on to someone else as soon as you're done?
#24 of 29 Old 07-23-2006, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
our local paper is free and thrown on our driveway 2 times a week whether we want it or not. they just give it to everybody in town. i like to read it (usu in the bathroom ). i just try to glance at it over a few days and when the next one comes we toss the old one in the recycling. it does have a website so i can look there for anything i missed.

is your problem that you are tired of it sitting on your kitchen counter? if so a magazine rack or decorative basket to hold it might be your solution. if you're trying to weigh keeping your subscription to support local bidness vs unsubscribing to reduce clutter i'd probably side on unsubbing and buying a copy from the rack when you need one.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#25 of 29 Old 07-24-2006, 12:24 AM

donate the subscription to a non-profit organization, and/or go to a coffee shop to read the paper that is left there, or take the paper to a restaraunt and leave it for someone else to read it. OR share it with your neighbor.
#26 of 29 Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 AM

cancel it! Read what you want online. We cancelled ours because it felt quite wasteful sitting in our living room unread.
#27 of 29 Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 PM

we have made a point over the last few years to read it daily 7 days a week while having our coffee every morning together at 6:15am. We have
45 minutes together (longer on weekends) to have our coffees and newspaper. Its our adult time. Sometimes we read the paper, sometimes it dosent get delivered so we do other things But of course now that Maggie is in our bed, she joins us for the coffee and paper. DD1 sleeps until past 8:30am. Maggie usually doses off and goes back to sleep.

If we didnt do this the paper would never get read. Then I would cancel it and I agree, I dont want to either.

We also get the town paper that comes out on Wed. My neighbor who lives behind us is the delivery boy and has been for several years. This is the only reason I get it so it helps him w a part time job and I want to support a young person doing this. I then pass the weekly on to my FIL who reads it more than I do. If it wasnt for my neighbor or FIL, I would skip it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#28 of 29 Old 07-24-2006, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Amys1st we used to have a routine along those lines for the Sunday paper which is the only day we get one. But since DD came along, we just don't get that quiet time anymore to sit and read. She is not as late a sleeper as DS was. When it was just him, I could read bits of the paper during breakfast all week long. Now if I get one section read that's good.

Not sure what I will do, tho I liked some of the suggestions around donating a subscription to someone.
#29 of 29 Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato2sweeties
I agree whole-heartedly with Trini's post. View what you want online, make a donation. Win-Win. Support your local paper business, declutter & less waste for our planet. Or is that a Win-Win-Win? Good Luck.
Your response reminded me of an episode of "The Office."

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page