Moving RULES need the cardinal rules! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-11-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have time before move,
Want to start really tackling stuff NOW.
Need methodology how did you prepare for your best (long distance) moves?

8 might be enough
#2 of 6 Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 PM

I didn't move long distance but the best tip I got was to pack the stuff that will go closest to the front door into the truck first. For example, if the living room is closest to the front door and the family room is the farthest, the living room stuff should go on the truck first, and the family room stuff last. That way, the family room stuff will be unloaded first and you won't have to step around the living room stuff as you bring stuff into rooms that are farther back.

I also started packing months before our move, labeled each box with a number and the name of the room where it belongs, and kept a notebook with a list of what's in each box. It's amazing how quickly you will forget where you have put things!

Of course, the best tip of all is to get rid of as much as possible so there will be less to pack!
#3 of 6 Old 07-11-2006, 08:56 PM

I s the moving company packing you? When we moved long distance the moving company packed us. They wouldn't insure our stuff if we did. Dh company paid for it anyway and it was (mostly) a huge burden lifted from my shoulders.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#4 of 6 Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

actually first I am looking at declutter tips.
Secondly if you all remember my cheap country house thread
I might buy a cottage type property and move all of our 'nonessentials' (keepsakes, storage things - baby clothes) there and just move the bare essentials when we move countries...

I just figure I should start planning to pare down ASAP

8 might be enough
#5 of 6 Old 07-12-2006, 01:42 AM

I have moved several times US to Europe or Europe to US.

My advice is get rid of it. As much as you can possibly part with, and then a little more.

The more you can get rid of, the less there is to move, the less to break during the move, the less to pack, ofen less to pay if it is charged by weight, the less you need to worry about how are you going to fit your things into the new place, the more peace you have because you truly love the stuff that you do have.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#6 of 6 Old 07-12-2006, 07:43 AM

We're in the same situation. We're only moving 150 miles, but to us that's long distance: and are leaving/freecycling/gifting as much as we possibly can. And we've got 5 weeks to pack, which isn't long, but isn't bad either.

Keep the hints coming, please?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page