Ugly Furniture Gift - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My sweet neighbor said she had a little corner desk for ds if we would like it. So we went over to get it and it was a full size corner table/desk with a separate dresser that fits on one side and a cupboard on the other. They have a faux black marble top, weird turned wood (think nautical), faux double drawer front on a single drawer (I hate that).

It's great to have extra storage but I am sick of hodge podge ugly furniture! I'm hoping dh will work these things into his "office" when he rearranges in there. Right now, it is in my kitchen taking up a lot of space and clashing horribly. I DID manage to not accept a baker's rack that was not to my taste. And we ARE enjoying the wading pool that she gave us. But I wish I hadn't been a target for this generosity.

Between a packrat mother, dh, and ds, my delicate artistic sensibilities are getting overwhelmed. I can deal with things not matching, but clashing is another story. It looks like a thrift store here. I dream of renting my own place just to have an uncluttered haven : .

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's tough. Will she be offended if you don't keep it?

I've managed to stop accepting ugly furniture. It does help that my relatives are far away.

Is it just the looks or is it the shape.

I find that paint can do a lot for ugly stuff. But it's no use painting if you don't like the size and shape.
#3 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 09:59 PM

I hear you. :

Can you just kindly say, "We tried the desk in ds's room and it isn't a good fit. Do you know someone else who could put it to good use?" If she doesn't have anyone else in mind, then ask if she has a favorite charity and arrange for a pick-up.

She can choose to be offended or not. You don't have to live with things you don't like just because someone gave them to you, no matter how well-meaning.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#4 of 8 Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

The problem is that dh wants to keep them, which is fine if they go in his "special" room . I just felt suckered by the "little desk" thing and needed to vent. Of course, she offered them in front of ds who immediately got excited. They are also too big to fit in our car so if we get rid of them, we would have to line up someone. If we left them on the curb someone would claim them but we would alienate our neighbor. I usually manage to not get into this situation.

#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2006, 10:53 AM

Shortly after we moved into our first house we got a call from DH's aunt offering a dining room set. It was described as very nice & expensive. We needed to go pick it up asap from a distance. So DH rented a truck & took his brother with him & came home with the ugliest table, chairs & lighted hutch. I knew at first glance that I hated them! It wasn't even real wood. It was the plastic stuff!!! I felt so bad though. So we kept them for a while then finally Dh started calling family members to see if anyone wanted them. Someone did! They came & picked it up. I prefer our tiny kitchen table & chairs, until we can afford a larger set. We did get some amazing furniture from another aunt of dh's. From now on I gota see it first! It cost us $250 to rent that truck! MY usual excuse is we don't have room! But now it is obvious that we do since we hve lots of empty space. I'd rather it empty though, then full of junk!
#6 of 8 Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
I'd rather it empty though, then full of junk!
That's for sure! It really sucks that you had to pay $250! Now, I don't feel so bad. I'm actually getting to the point that I can scan past these hideous things w/o looking at them directly. They give a nice effect of empty counter space if I don't look directly at them. I generally try to look up as I navigate through this house, because the upper walls and ceilings are so clutter free .

We live in my mom's house out of which 6 siblings and a band have moved out, all leaving stuff behind. Also included are the possessions of several deceased grandparents. None of these things are anything that I have the authority to make decisions about (as in put on the curb).

#7 of 8 Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 PM

www.craftster.org

They have an entire section of the forums dedicated to revamping furniture. Have fun!
#8 of 8 Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That looks like fun

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page