Anyone have a serious clutter issue? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 07-23-2006, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh just went to Goodwill with 3 garbage bags full of unloved toys we culled. And there are a good 2 or 3 more waiting in the basement : (we hold on to them for awhile to make sure they are really ok to give away).

It's overwhelming! And the Grandparents don't help. I keep having talks with my mom about how she doesn't have to buy the kids multiple toys EVERY SINGLE time she sees them. Wouldn't be an issue if they lived far away but she's one town over and sees them weekly. She, of course, chooses to get offended and nit pick over every little detail (But they aren't "new", they're from a thrift store! But the purchase benefitted charity! But if you don't let us go to the store and buy them toys we won't have anything to do!).

We have clutter too of course, it's not all the kids Though I look back on pictures of my house before I had kids and I'm amazed at all the clear space But it really is our fault for not stemming the tide of crap that comes in here.

It's slow but we really are making progress.
#32 of 45 Old 07-23-2006, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hey, i did it! i cleaned that counter off. i think i inspired dh to clean his desk, too. plenty more to do, but it's a start and better than nothing. i think i'm off to do some work in the bathroom while littlest dd naps. i might actually get around to painting the trim that's been needing it for about forever.making no promises about that, though.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#33 of 45 Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 PM

Hey I'm inspired. maybe I'll go clear off MY kitchen-counter-that-collects-crap too!
#34 of 45 Old 07-24-2006, 01:47 AM

I did it! I actually got a few things de-cluttered...like my bedroom floor where all of the bags from our recent vacation ended up..unpacked because I was too tired and went right back into the work thing..Yeah!

I did the kids "art area" too and got an entire garbage bag full of old coloring books with no more pages left and markers that have been lying around without tops for who knows how long.

I also found a few cheese crackers, a blueberry and a cherry : Yikes!
#35 of 45 Old 07-24-2006, 11:17 AM

We've had clutter problems off and on. Right now the cluttered spot is actually our shed, which has everything from extra couches and beds to three medium-sized moving boxes of just-junk-we-didn't-know-what-to-do-with after we moved.

What I found helpful when faced with the daunting task of cleaning out the MIL clutterpartment (from the other thread I started on this board) was to have three bags, one for trash, one for charity, and one for giving back to MIL or to friends. In one session I'd fill all three bags, and take the trash immediately to the trash, put the charity and MIL bags in the trunk (labelled) and then that would be it for that day. If I was feeling ambitious the bags were yard-trash sized, if I was feeling lazy they were grocery bags. I didn't do this every day, not at all.

The idea is to give yourself a stopping point that is NOT DONE. This was a problem for DH because he was used to the "do it until it's done" mindset, which is plenty useful sometimes but when dealing with a task that you simply CANNOT complete all in one fell swoop, it keeps you from ever starting. The idea that he was done when he'd sorted just ONE set of bags (and a lot of this stuff was from his childhood, so it fell on him to sort it) was very helpful.

We took a lot of pictures. Of ourselves in things MIL had saved, of DH's old science projects, of all kinds of things. They remind us quite as well as the actual object, because for many things, the memories that they bring back are important far beyond the importance of the actual object. We then happily tossed them in the trash or in the charity bag, knowing that if DH wanted to remember them, they would be there on the computer.

We tend to accumulate CRAP, as I think everyone does, and I think that this is where-other-threads-come-from. We live in such a tiny space right now that I have to CONSTANTLY look around and thing "do I need this? use it? how often?" about anything that might get in my way. We were, for a while, unable to use our couches, stepping around piles, etc. It has been tamed to a large extent, but only about a month ago could I finally say that I had a place for everything that I owned. And then we went to a garage sale and there's a lava lamp sitting on the kitchen counter that I have absolutely no spot for . It really IS neverending!

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#36 of 45 Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Today I REcleared my kitchen counter It is a lot easier when it is just one day's worth of dishes and odds and ends. I am working on training dh to put the trash in the trashcan instead of on my clear counter.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#37 of 45 Old 07-24-2006, 07:40 PM

I still haven't gotten to the kitchen-counter-that-collects-stuff. Sigh. Today I did clear off my ironing board and put it away, and made the bed in the same room. My dining table has been clear for a week, it even has a pitcher of sunflowers on it.

ETA: I really like the idea of doing ONE BAG. I am going to try that.
#38 of 45 Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C
Does anyone think a cleaning person would help? We both work full-time and I feel we could afford one, but this part of me thinks I don't DESERVE one, or I should model how to clean for my 3 yo or that the money could be put to some better use.
Ship's ahoy mateys! I'm definitely in that boat and 2 babes don't help the picture for the forseeable future. The way everything has to go in boxes or up to the next shelf or drawer as DS gets taller and can reach more does not bode well for an uncluttered house.

So Ellien, maybe that's my problem - no one to model for me. My mom had a cleaning lady for many years and she was a stay at home mom for most of that time, with a [wink,wink] dust "allergy". So can I blame it all on her?
Though we did have a few years without a cleaning lady when I was in high school, and the house was still clean. So I guess that didn't help either.

I would love a cleaning lady, but I feel like I need to declutter first. Can you hire someone just to do the bathrooms and floors?
#39 of 45 Old 07-25-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I'm allergic to dust I wear shop masks if I have to go through old boxes or do any deep cleaning but sometimes I just get my dh to do it :

A cleaning person wouldn't help me. It's not the cleaning it's the clutter for us. From what I've heard, a cleaning person isn't going to pick up the stuff on the floor and clear off the computer desk. What I need is a professional de-clutterer

Nickijr, I use those ideas too I use Flylady's idea of a timer, then I know I have a stopping point (instead of "OMG this is going to take forever, FOREVER I tell you!"). But I have to say, I've wanted a lava lamp for about 30 years now, ever since I saw my best friend's one (back in the 70's). If I saw one at a garage sale, I'd buy it too

Anyone have any good, inspirational de-cluttering reads? I find that whenever I get into something, it keeps me inspired for awhile but then eventually I need to get RE-inspired to keep going. This board helps whenever there's a new thread that speaks to me Subbing and unsubbing to Flylady every year helps But I also like books. I like the Slob Sister books. I've read two of them. I do not follow exactly what they say (their system is a bit involved) but the books are really funny and anecdotal and they sound just like me I swear I have Sidetracked Home Executives and Get Your Act Together. I might have another but I can't remember.
#40 of 45 Old 07-25-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesca'smom
My dining table has been clear for a week, it even has a pitcher of sunflowers on it.
I have found that bringing fresh flowers in and putting them around my house really make me WANT to keep it clean and organized more...not sure why, but it inspires me!

I put all of the laundry away too....now I just have to keep it up!
#41 of 45 Old 07-25-2006, 01:58 PM

i'd say I get rid of 3-5 garbage bags full of garbage (useless stuff, not to be confused with trash) AND 3-5 bags of clothes every 3 weeks or so. I cant figure out how that is even POSSIBLE! How can a person/ family get rid of that much stuff and still get rid of more. I might understand if we were wealthy, but we're dirt poor, our house is big though, 3 floors. Today is "gut the kids room day" so far 2 bags of crappy broken toys out the door - and on garbage day no less - YEAH!!!!
#42 of 45 Old 07-25-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
I'm allergic to dust I wear shop masks if I have to go through old boxes or do any deep cleaning but sometimes I just get my dh to do it :
I'm allergic to dust, too. I didn't think to put on a mask when I cleaned my counter and got an allergic reaction which triggered a cold that has lasted a couple days thus far. :

#43 of 45 Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 AM

Our apartment is a cluttered nightmare.. We combined 2 housholds into a 900 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment w/ 2 adults and a babe. I am the queen of stuff and he is the exact oppasite. I know I drive him nuts. He is gone for the week and I'm working on trying to get parts done so I can surprise him.

The best decluttering I have ever done was when I moved to this place. I just pitched anything that I hadn't used in 6+ months (other than seasonal items). I also pitched anything that I didn't feel like moving. I ended yup taking 9 garbage bafgs full of stuff to good will.

My 2 problem areas right now are my craft stuff and baby's room.
#44 of 45 Old 07-28-2006, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano
i'd say I get rid of 3-5 garbage bags full of garbage (useless stuff, not to be confused with trash) AND 3-5 bags of clothes every 3 weeks or so. I cant figure out how that is even POSSIBLE! How can a person/ family get rid of that much stuff and still get rid of more. I might understand if we were wealthy, but we're dirt poor,
I keep thinking of what you said here.

I think being poor (or at least having to watch the money carefully) is, for many people, the reason why we have so much stuff. It's like the great depression mentality. Maybe we don't have it as bad as those who lived in that time, but there's still a feeling of "I might need this" or "that's too good of a deal to pass up" or, the absolute worst "it's free, how can I *not* take it?".

We aren't dirt poor right now (now ) but it's been a struggle in the past and the money sucked during my childhood so yeah, the feeling is still there. I'm getting better though

(but in that vein we were just at the library and they had a toy and book sale and, well, it was "too good a deal to pass up" so the kids have more toys they don't need. Sigh. Yup, I'm a work in progress, )

4evermom, hey that happens to me too sometimes! I get an allergic reaction and it ends up lasting for days. What IS that? Does having a reaction make us suceptible (spelling? ) to germs going around? Or do we have worse reactions when we're coming down with colds? I totally don't get it. I hope you feel better soon :
#45 of 45 Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
4evermom, hey that happens to me too sometimes! I get an allergic reaction and it ends up lasting for days. What IS that? Does having a reaction make us suceptible (spelling? ) to germs going around? Or do we have worse reactions when we're coming down with colds? I totally don't get it. I hope you feel better soon :
Well, they are both dealt with by the immune system. I suspect that I must have a subclinical cold that goes into full bloom when my defenses are down. Just the same as getting colds when you don't get enough sleep. Probably most people have some cold viruses most of the time but their immune system keep them in check, except for the wicked colds that everybody gets.

I, too, have trouble with my frugal side warring with my desire to declutter!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page