Anyone have a serious clutter issue? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep reading threads of people who decluttered their houses in a week or a day or an afternoon. I'm glad for them, I'm not picking on anyone, but my first thought is always that their house must have been pretty dang close to perfect to be able to do it so fast

My house is a work in progress. I am thrilled to say it's better than it has been in a long while (and it's a hundred times better than what I grew up in) but it's definitely not an hour (or a week) away from clutter-free.

Anyone in that boat with me? It's sort of like hearing someone say they have five pounds to lose and you're sitting there about 75 lbs overweight wondering what they're talking about
#2 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 02:20 AM

baby steps, it is all about baby steps

do one room at a time

or one corner

it will pay off, really it will! just focus on that one area for 15 minutes. you will be amazed what you will accomplish

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#3 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
Anyone in that boat with me?
Yup, we sound like boat-mates to me!
#4 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 07:37 AM

I really seem to have gotten in that boat since going to school. It just never seems I have time to really do much. But this week I've been working on decluttering, and so far I've decluttered 1616 things, plus two shopping bags of paper which I didn't count. My house is definately far from perfect.

For the record, it's my plan to start next week reorganizing and deep cleaning and I know I'll get rid of more stuff then
#5 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 11:28 AM

I've been making slow progress for a week now and have a LONG way to go. I could probably go 10x faster without my two girls around, but I keep reminding myself that "every little bit helps" and "slow and steady wins the race" and all those other cliches.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#6 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 12:21 PM

Maybe it's because I'm not good about following through on projects, and maybe it's because I'm not actually good at getting rid of stuff, but it seems like I've been decluttering for years.

I'll start decluttering, make good progress. Then I'll get sick of working at it, and backslide. Then more clutter sneaks in, and I start all over again. But yes, there's always something.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#7 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm babystepping alright I've been decluttering for years too. It's progress, just slow progress, but the house does look pretty good compared to what it was like when I had newborns. And of course we backslide every birthday or Christmas

I've been very inspired by the 7 things thread. I can't see me counting things (or blogging) but after reading that thread last weekend (and the little brown dress one) I had my daughter go through her clothing and then I went through my sons and ended up with three paper grocery bags full of stuff to get rid of, whoo hoo!

I'm not sure what we'll do this weekend. My dh has too many t-shirts (and only wears about 6 of them) but he might not be ready to let them go yet. We'll see. There are plenty of other things to thin out in this house without touching his
#8 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 03:32 PM

m-m-m-m-e-e-e-e......

sometimes I can hardly bear to even come to this forum. I feel like we have so far to go!

Does anyone think a cleaning person would help? We both work full-time and I feel we could afford one, but this part of me thinks I don't DESERVE one, or I should model how to clean for my 3 yo or that the money could be put to some better use. I had a cleaning lady a year ago, but she quit on me. And I've just never gone to the trouble of replacing her.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#9 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I'm babystepping alright I've been decluttering for years too. It's progress, just slow progress, but the house does look pretty good compared to what it was like when I had newborns. And of course we backslide every birthday or Christmas

I've been very inspired by the 7 things thread. I can't see me counting things (or blogging) but after reading that thread last weekend (and the little brown dress one) I had my daughter go through her clothing and then I went through my sons and ended up with three paper grocery bags full of stuff to get rid of, whoo hoo!

I'm not sure what we'll do this weekend. My dh has too many t-shirts (and only wears about 6 of them) but he might not be ready to let them go yet. We'll see. There are plenty of other things to thin out in this house without touching his
yeah I'm right there with ya. I just got rid of six grocery bags of clothes today. I put them in the car and dh took them away, which works MUCH better for me. If it's up to me the stuff will sit in my car trunk until i need the trunk for something else, at which point it comes out and sits in the garage. :

And I love the idea of the little brown dress, or some kind of really simple wardrobe, preferable one that is comfortable. I signed up for the seven things thread, but how do I count six bags? I think counting is not really working for me. Once I do get to decluttering, I don't slow down enough to count. I have got TONS of stuff to get rid of. And I *have* been decluttering for years. aaaaaahhh!!!
#10 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Janet, I'm not counting if I have more than 7 (the three bags contained far more than that) but I'm going to try to make an effort to cull at *least* 7 things a week. That way if I'm uninspired one week, I'll do the minimum. If I'm inspired, I'll do what I feel like and not pay attention to the number.
#11 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 07:53 PM

Shannon you know that's an excellent idea! There have been lots of weeks where I got rid of nothing, and if I 'd at least gotten rid of seven things maybe it would be making a difference by now. I have been decluttering in cycles of all or nothing. So, gotta go find my seven for the week. Maybe it'll inspire me to get rid of six bags again. woo hoo!
#12 of 45 Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 PM

I declutter every couple weeks & there's still clutter everywhere!! So don't feel too bad!

I have found that having dp hall it away right away or me doing the same is very helpful... If there's time to think about it, it might end up staying!! But once it's gone, expecially to those in need, it's just gone!!

I think I might have to jump on the 7 things a week bandwagon!

Jennifer, mama to Zander (04), Maddie (07) & Lizzie (10/09)
#13 of 45 Old 07-15-2006, 12:10 AM

Another boat-mate here

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#14 of 45 Old 07-15-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Anyone in that boat with me?
Yes, I'm an artist...'nuf said!!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#15 of 45 Old 07-15-2006, 12:28 AM

I am totally in that boat. Dh and I moved and purged so much as we were packing things, but we seem to have gained at least half of it back. I think a lot of our problem is we buy ds too much stuff. If I find a good deal, I buy things, right now I have toys stuck back for his next birthday. Things we can't give him this year, because he's still too little for them. IWe are trying to do better though. Right now I have a room in my house dedicated as the yard sale room. There is so much stuff in there I am tempted to list it as a multi-family yard sale
#16 of 45 Old 07-15-2006, 12:36 AM

The storage area in our basement, and our garage are TERRIBLE!

The rest of the house isn't too bad. THAT I could easily do in a day. I tend to keep up with the upstairs pretty well. I do have a chest and a washstand upstairs that have papers in them that need to be sorted and tossed.

Oh, and I moved books upstairs, put them on the bed in the guestroom thinking maybe we would actually THEN get a bookshelf sooner. I have cd's all over the floor in there, too, right now.

The kitchen is mostly decluttered...just a few drawers left to do.

It's one step forward, a few steps back, two steps forward...one step back.

I know where I am headed, but it is not so easy to get there!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#17 of 45 Old 07-15-2006, 01:13 AM

I'm drowning over here...would someone pull me into the boat please??

Hmm...bags of stuff to donate. I like that idea.
#18 of 45 Old 07-15-2006, 03:48 AM

I can usually make satsifying overall progress on one room in a week. Eight rooms in the house.

I cannot even talk about the state of the basement or garage as they reek of impossibility in the competition for huge chunks of my attention. Aack!

There are a lot of things I am embarrassed to admit that I just throw away when I should spend time thinking of how to get it to someone who can re-use it. I can manage to get a few of the nice things given to different people, but usually that stuff just piles up and waits too. And becomes a problem again.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#19 of 45 Old 07-15-2006, 11:18 AM

Me too, me too! I de-cluttered a couple of months ago, and suddenly my house was clean most of the time, for the first time ever. But the clutter has built up and it's once again a wreck.

I need to get rid of toys, dishes, clothing, maybe even furniture.

I'm planning to start Seven Things too.
#20 of 45 Old 07-19-2006, 04:27 AM

Here too. We're moving, so I'm doing a big purge, but I bet it comes back.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#21 of 45 Old 07-21-2006, 08:49 AM

I am totally in your boat.
I feel like I DO stuff but I can't see the difference.
So much needs to go....I start off okay and then get wracked by indecision.:
#22 of 45 Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 PM

I am here! Yes, I feel this way..I feel like I am drowning...and it only gets worse every week that I work 50-70 hours at work and I cannot do anything but throw my junk on the ground and run to bed when I come home..finally.
It is getting to be extremely stressful to not know where anything is or to have to dig through 4 loads of clean laundry to find the shirt you need for work..that you now have to iron because it has been sitting in the clean laundry piles that have taken over every room in the house...

Aaagh! Can you tell that had been building for awhile. Thanks for the chance to vent!
#23 of 45 Old 07-21-2006, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Our house is so bad that there are parts that we simply do not use. My mom is a packrat. My dh is a packrat. My ds is a packrat. My ds pulls trash out of the garbage and hides it under tables or behind doors. He is going through a phase of exploring all drawers, cupboards, and closets, meaning he is emptying them looking for interesting stuff. So the things that had been put away neatly are strewn about. The 13 yo neighbor girl helpfully picked up all the toys but she threw everything into bins at random; legos with lincoln logs with k'nex with marble run, etc. We have stuff that got moved in after people died. My brother and his band used to live here and didn't take everything with them when they moved out.

I don't have the authority to make decisions about much of the stuff in the house. And I don't have the energy to clean after taking care of ds' need to go places and do things. I feel sorry for him stuck at home with a tired mama when he is a bundle of social energy. Plus when he is bored. he exhibits scary behaviors such as starting fires on the stove. Of course, a house fire (god forbid) would solve the clutter problem .

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#24 of 45 Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermuma
It is getting to be extremely stressful to not know where anything is or to have to dig through 4 loads of clean laundry to find the shirt you need for work..that you now have to iron because it has been sitting in the clean laundry piles that have taken over every room in the house...
My ds just came in wearing a shirt that i hadn't seen in a while. I asked him where he found it and he replied "laundry pile number 10"

#25 of 45 Old 07-21-2006, 10:07 PM

It seems when I try and work on one room, the kids are in the next one making a HUGE mess. So I go clean their mess and they are making a mess in another room!!! Its a vicious cycle!! It feels like I never get anything done! I do try to get them occupied with something while I clean, but it always doesn't work..
#26 of 45 Old 07-22-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom
My ds just came in wearing a shirt that i hadn't seen in a while. I asked him where he found it and he replied "laundry pile number 10"

That is hilarious! This is totally something that would happen in my house...
#27 of 45 Old 07-22-2006, 11:06 PM

: I cleaned my kitchen!
Well, not completely, but I got all the dishes done and cleared the entire surface of the counter, parts of which have not seen the light of the florescent fixture in several years!

#28 of 45 Old 07-23-2006, 12:31 AM

Yeah! Congrats on the kitchen, I bet it feels sooo good!

My goal is to wake up tomorrow and get SOMETHING done...like the entire house as clean as I can get it in one day...so that I can walk without tripping and falling on my face!
#29 of 45 Old 07-23-2006, 11:38 AM

Yeah, it is really a mood booster to just have a few clear spots in the house to focus on instead of the piles.

#30 of 45 Old 07-23-2006, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
oh, maybe i'll do that kitchen thing. we have one counter (the one that isn't piled up with appliances) that just accumulates crap. i think i might just saunter on over and tackle that one instead of loungin' here while my girls *gasp* play happily together!

we have tons tons tons of clutter. boxes of crap from when we moved years and years ago. college textbooks, boxes of junk from our childhoods that our moms periodically bequeath to us. slowly but surely things do seem to be getting better. i took one bag to the thrift store this week and i think i successfully freecycled an old quirky food processor.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page