Kids clothes what is resonable? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-24-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having the hardes time decluttering the kids clothes, they have enough for 6 kids between the three of them. How do you decide what to keep and what to give up? I have the winter clothes put up for winter ut man seems like there is even a ton of those they dont need... : : :
#2 of 24 Old 07-24-2006, 03:55 PM

Well, I'm not entirely sure how much is just right yet, and from what I've read around here it seems to vary from family to family based on how often you want to wash, etc.

I love what someone suggested to me which is to pull out every bit of their clothes, sort by "outfit", and then keep a certain amount of outfits (she suggested 5), and then pack away everything else someplace where you can get to it. If you find yourself running out of clothes you can pull out another outfit or two from the packed away clothes and then when you are sure you have enough give everything else away.

I think when fall rolls around I'm going to do this and keep 8-10 outfits for each girl. I know that sounds like a lot, but I like to wash their clothes once a week. I would keep less, but both girls like to wear dresses almost every day, and I do like to have at least a couple pants outfits around since sometimes dresses can get in the way when your a 3yo. So, I'm thinking 7 dresses, 3 pants outfits, 2-4 sweaters, 1 winter coat, 1 raincoat, 4 nightgowns, 1 pair really warm jammies, for each girl...but that may end up still being way too much. I guess we'll find out in fall.

If you figure out the "right" answer be sure to post back here as I'd love to know.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#3 of 24 Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 PM

I struggle with this too, but I try to really pay attention when I choose dd's clothes each day. There are always a few things in her drawers that I'll pass over because they just never fit quite right, there's nothing that matches well, dd complains about it, it's a little stained, or I just don't like it that much.

If you find yourself passing over certain items every time you open the drawer, get `em out of there immediately. Chances are you're not going to like it any more on some other day.

Also, if you can deal with the clutter, letting the clean laundry pile up is also a good way to find out what you really need. After a week or so, what you've got left in the drawers is the stuff that probably won't get worn.

Maybe even start a box that can be filled as things get worn and washed? Once you've got 7 days (or 10 or however many you feel you need) worth of outfits, you probably don't need the excess.
#4 of 24 Old 07-24-2006, 06:39 PM

I have found that for boys, 12 pairs each of knickers and socks, 6 school outfits, 3 outfits to "dress out" for gymn and 7 play outfits is about right. (Plus 4 outfits for church, and 5 sets of pajamas.)

For my daughter, it's harder, because there are so many more "types" of clothes. (Skirts/skorts, light pants, jeans, dresses, et cetera.) So, I have decided to streamline her clothing to 6 school outfits per season. We have room for 6 outfits for the current "season" in her steamer (she uses an old fashioned steamer trunk instead of a bureau). Then we'll put the rest away to await the appropriate weather. (I just let her wear the same 4 dresses to church year-round. Save for the walk from the car to church and vice versa, she's inside the whole time she's wearing them. I just add tights and a cardi for cooler weather.)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#5 of 24 Old 07-24-2006, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

See the problem is mostly the girls even at 18 months the baby likes to chage her outfit 3 times day cause sissy does. It is a never ending battle. I like the idea of setting an amount but keeping more just in case set aside. I am going to go thru them all tonight and see what I can come up with thanks!!!!!
#6 of 24 Old 07-25-2006, 01:59 PM

boy this is m struggle. My only step forward on this one is I trash the stained stuff imediatley
#7 of 24 Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also do the leave a set amount out and pull out extras as needed. I think the easiest thing is to not buy anthing else until there's a need so slowly things will dwindle down.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 24 Old 07-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel
I think the easiest thing is to not buy anthing else until there's a need so slowly things will dwindle down.
Another way to keep kids clothing under control is to make a list of what they actually need, then only buy what's on the list. It's SO easy to get sucked in by the "cute factor" of those little clothes that you end up with way too much. A quick look at your list will be a gentle reminder not to get carried away. The list can also help you to shop out of season for better bargains because you'll remember what to be on the watch for.
#9 of 24 Old 07-30-2006, 12:26 PM

we keep every thing in sets...if i don't have a shirt to match a skirt it goes in a box in the top of closet...too small, dd won't wear etc...when box is full it goes out....we still have way to many clothes thhough
#10 of 24 Old 07-30-2006, 01:02 PM

I wish I knew! Last summer I simplified when we moved and saved 7 outfits for each child. I thought that was fine because they were out of school and that's enough to last a week. Apparantly not, because when my SIL visited she went out and bought me bags and bags of clothing from a thrift store for them because they didn't have "very many clothes". Then we got to spend the summer with clothing thrown all over the house because we don't have storage space for them.
#11 of 24 Old 07-30-2006, 02:14 PM

I think organization and simplification of the clothes was the best thing I have done to cut down on clutter! I started a while back? Maybe early spring? Anyway, I went thru and divided each kids clothes out into a pile, then went thru the pile and made outfits. Then I took a pad of paper and numbered what I htought they needed, I think I started w/ 10 nice outfits, 10 play outfits (my kids are little, I've since cut it down). THen I filled int eh numbers! I noticed w/ such fewer clothes, they no longer needed the dresser that was cluttering thier small bedroom, so it went to the basement for storage (Incase my idea wasn't such a brilliant one ). I bought those little cubby things at wal-mart, and each girl has 3 baskets to put their clothes in (2 for playclothes, one for jammies, undies, ect.). It fit perfectly in their small closet, and I have a thing up on the wall for socks, and shoes go in one bin (I only keep the play shoes where they can reach them. Nice pairs go up in another bin on the top shelf). I think I might add one more set of cubbies (3 baskets) to make socks easier for them to reach, but this has worked out GREAT for us! I am also planning my fall shopping alto better! Spending less money, and making sure I really like what I buy, and that they will wear it. It also forces me to do the laundry more often, as they can only go so many days before they run out of clothes! I go thru the clothes every month or so and throw out the really stained stuff, and move a "Nice" outfit into the play outfits bin if necessary. Right now we are at the end of summer, and my older DD only has about 3 nice outfits, but I am starting to look into fall stuff that layers and will work for early fall instead of getting sleeveless summer stuff. I think you will need to play around and see what amount of which type of clothes you need for your family.
#12 of 24 Old 07-30-2006, 09:01 PM

We've had to be so frugal on buying clothes, so we may be on the low end here...but here's basically what we have/do. I buy everything to mix and match. DS has a pair of denim shorts and a pair of khaki shorts that can be dressed up for church or down for other times. He has a pair of red cotton shorts that are used mainly for play.

For tops, he has five tees for play and two polo type shirts for church.

We have a pair of sandals for him for church and a pair of sneakers for play.

(He's soon to be 2.)
#13 of 24 Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 PM

I am in the process of trying to declutter clothing..I was think 10 outfits for each boy seems reasonable..We don't need jammies because we do wool at night....My head just starts to : when I try to decide what needs to go though!!!!!!!
#14 of 24 Old 07-31-2006, 03:49 AM

I have nothing to add, but have been thinking about this a lot lately so I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say.
#15 of 24 Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokay
I love what someone suggested to me which is to pull out every bit of their clothes, sort by "outfit", and then keep a certain amount of outfits (she suggested 5), and then pack away everything else someplace where you can get to it.
Love this idea! We just had a yard sale Saturday morning (household stuff, not clothing) and I was so motivated to declutter, that I spent most of Sunday purging my clothes. I drastically reduced my wardrobe down to a third, and then since the baby was sleeping and DH was out with DS, I started to have fun assembling outfits (complete with scarf, purse, belt, etc). Today while preparing for an outing, it took me oh 1 minute to pick out an outfit. So easy! I will try this with DS's clothes too.
#16 of 24 Old 08-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth4Colin
DS has a pair of denim shorts and a pair of khaki shorts... and a pair of red cotton shorts.
My 3-yr-old DS also has denim, khaki and red shorts. They work with just about any top. I think I'll go ahead and pull out the rest of his shorts. Oh boy, this inspires me to start sorting through his bazillion clothes. :
#17 of 24 Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 AM

There are some good links at organizedhome . com about clothing amounts, organizing, and storage

http://organizedhome.com/ftopict-12329.html

you may have to scroll down a little to find the kids section
#18 of 24 Old 08-04-2006, 05:19 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#19 of 24 Old 08-18-2006, 03:47 PM

:

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#20 of 24 Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM

With 5 kids I do laundry every day. I probably will keep one outfit for each day of the week with 2 extra outfits. The rest we will give away.

Someone is always buying our kids clothes, there is NEVER a shortage.

I swear the only reason we need storage for anything is for their out of season clothes. :

I am all about simplifying and we have almost NO clutter otherwise.

Umm except our garage, but that's my husband's hording problem. I need a dumpster to clean that bad boy out. :
#21 of 24 Old 08-18-2006, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My rule of thumb is, if they don't fit in the designated drawers and closet space, there's too much, and if the too-big and off-season stuff doesn't fit in a seabag, there's too much of that. This still leaves DD enough clothing for triplets. But I do make sure it's all in good condition, has things to wear with each other, etc. I need to do a re-purge and put some stuff away that's still too big on her (we have that problem with pants BIG TIME). My biggest anti-clutter thing with DD's clothes is making sure I don't hold on to things she's outgrown. I've only saved a couple of my fave outfits per size for the next baby. The rest goes to clothing swap, hand-me-downs to other families, or goodwill.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#22 of 24 Old 08-26-2006, 09:11 PM

We also have loads of clothes.

We have 3 girls and they like to change their clothes a few times a day.

Living in the country also requires more clothing.

Then with distinct seasons requires more clothing.

Very frustrating IMO.

We have more clothes that the girls closet will hold. Out of season clothes are pretty much in storage.

I throw out clothes that are damaged, as in missing a button, ripped ect. I also get rid of clothes that aren't liked.

The more kids I find the harder it is to tend to their clothes.

I also save all good clothes for the next child in line.

I am of no help :
#23 of 24 Old 08-26-2006, 10:52 PM

my daughter (almost 4 years) and son (2 1/2 years) each have a large drawer in the dresser in their room. when they get too many clothes to fit in that one large drawer, i purge. i keep really nice clothes hung in their (VERY) small closet for special occasions, and the rest of the closet has our rarely used cool weather coats and jackets since we live in Miami.

I'm thankful for the warm weather and not having to store those out of season clothes after reading other people's posts!

also: a GREAT idea for the clothing that your kids grow out of is to do a "clothing exchange"...invite a bunch of friends to bring all their used clothing to a get together and everyone just takes whatever they can use. the left overs are taken to a charity. This is awesome for adult clothing as well as kids! LOTS of my clothes have come from these gatherings. One woman's trash is another's treasure is really true.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#24 of 24 Old 08-27-2006, 07:06 PM

This is a hard one for me, because I've always enjoyed dressing my girls up and they like it too. Now that they are 5 and 7 I allow them to have more control over what outifts they choose. We also put a closet organizer in their closet and that has allowed them to have more room for outfits, we have 3 hanging sections. One is Amaree and one is Chloe Roses, and the third hangs their Christmas/Easter/party dresses and stuff we find on sale for the next season. We break it down into this list:
Tees/long sleeved tees - stored in dresser
Sweats - stored in drawers underneath the bed
Track suits - hang in closet
Party dresses - hang in closet
Church dresses - hang in closet
Outfits(top and bottom put together on hanger) - hang in closet
Jeans - hang in closet
Little jackets - hang in closet
Play clothes - stored in dresser

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page