$10 coffee table - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I've never posted in this forum before, but I just wanted to share my story. Actually, it just happened yesterday. I'd been wanted to get rid of these three, huge, gaudy coffee tables (one table, two end tables). They were seriously huge, from the 70's with big drawers or cabinets underneath. Way too big for our 700sf duplex. We had our carpet cleaned on Saturday and it looked so nice with them gone (in the kitchen). Also, everything else was picked up (toys, magazine holder, basket of diapers, random clutter), it looked so nice in here, made me feel less scatterbrained. While the carpet was being cleaned, I took a walk around the block with dog and baby and walked past a garage sale. There was a very cute, small coffee table there. Later on that day I had DP stop and offer $10. We got it. Long story shorter, this one $10 coffee table inspired me to go through my house and get rid of about 4 garbage bags full of stuff. This morning, I feel absolutely wonderful! I still have some sorting left, but boy, I've been feeling stressed out lately and this severely helped. Maybe I'll try to post before and after pics sometime. Anyway, just wanted to share that it all started with a $10 coffee table and some rearranging.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#2 of 13 Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 AM

Wow. Any ideas on what I can do to get myself inspired? No garage sales around here today. :
#3 of 13 Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM

Sara, that's great! I know what you mean. Our dishwasher leaked a few months ago which started a whole string of things...new dishwasher, new floor in the kitchen and a whole lot of rearranging. Right after the new floor was installed and before everything was put back I marvelled at how nice it looked and how much space we seemed to have. Well, in the kitchen and hallways anyway, where the floor had been replaced. Everything else was crowding up the living room! Anyway, I was very selective about putting things back and it inspired me to clean up the front entryway. I didn't get rid of too much as most of our clutter is in the basement but, still!

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#4 of 13 Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 PM

That is great!! There for awhile I was getting rid of one small bag (grocery bag size) of stuff every day. Wither it was selling, tossing or giving away. It felt nice but I stopped when we went out of twon for the weekend and didn't start back again.

Your post helped motavate me though, thanks
#5 of 13 Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 PM

Good for you. I know just by doing a little declutter each day helps me to feel more relax.
#6 of 13 Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 PM

Congrats! Isn't it funny what sets us off on a decluttering spree?

Thanks for sharing!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#7 of 13 Old 08-01-2006, 01:45 AM

Wow- great! (Almost magic!)
#8 of 13 Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by candipooh
Your post helped motavate me though, thanks
Glad to help! Now I just have big bags of stuff in my living room waiting to get rid of. We have no garage or other storage so I will be taking over to MILs for storage until we can have a garage sale. Although I'm not sure anyone would want to buy this stuff!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#9 of 13 Old 08-01-2006, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
Wow. Any ideas on what I can do to get myself inspired? No garage sales around here today. :
I really just started going through things and got rid of 1/3 to 1/2 of the items. Like two totes full of costume stuff. Got rid of half. And next we'll go through our clothes, I figure, if we didn't wear it last winter or this summer, it's gone. Luckily my DP is happy to oblige. He says we could get rid of everything if I want.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#10 of 13 Old 08-02-2006, 12:06 PM

That's just awesome!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#11 of 13 Old 08-02-2006, 01:44 PM
mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma
Luckily my DP is happy to oblige. He says we could get rid of everything if I want.
i want one of those. maybe I should be looking at garage sales.
#12 of 13 Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 PM

A similar story...

Our TV has been sitting on the floor for a really long time, since our entertainment center sort of fell apart almost a year ago.
We found a beautiful coffee table at Goodwill (half-price on Labor Day!) for $15 and it was the perfect table to put our TV on AND it gave me loads of storage space underneath! Our living room looks SO much better!
I was inspired and cleaned the whole room!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#13 of 13 Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Yay!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page