Ever wonder where to donate items? ASK ME! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-03-2006, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ever had a pile of items that you just weren't sure where to donate/consign/give or otherwise get rid of them? Well ASK ME! I can help you find those items a new home! (and if I can't find one, there's always craigslist, freecycle or ebay!)
So try me...This isn't a business, I've just found homes for a ton of stuff that DH and I got rid of when we moved and thought maybe others could use some help with items that are full of life, but no idea where they'd be accepted/appreciated or be useful.

Some examples:
Suits/business attire/dress shoes: Dress for success www.dressforsuccess.org
old magazines: your local businesses with waiting rooms; hospitals, clinics, chiropractors offices, etc. (just make sure to remove all mailing labels!)
childrens' books: based on the genre/condition. Ask your local librarians, school libraries, county/government center, daycare centers or your local WIC office, YMCA/YWCA.
adult books: your local teen resource center/drop in center, local library, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, etc.
clothing that is "brand label": local consignment store
clothing that is "generic label": local goodwill/thrift store, homeless shelter.
cloth diapers: www.miraclediapers.com
unused toys: local waiting rooms with children's areas, libraries with meeting spaces, WIC offices, governement offices, daycare centers.

This is just a start, if you have other questions or suggestions...feel free to post them!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#2 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 PM

Ok, here's a strange one for you: a month or two ago, my gyn gave me three months worth (three packs) of a new bc pill. I took it for less than a week, it reconfirmed my knowledge that my body cannot handle bc pills, and now I have two unopened, unused boxes of bc pills. I hate to throw them out, but I can't figure out who would want them or be willing to take them.

Any ideas?

Maria , wife to Frank and mama to Gracie (12/09/03) and Evie (06/24/09) , living in domestic bliss!
#3 of 10 Old 08-11-2006, 10:36 PM

How about broken electronics? (VCRs, tape decks and such)
#4 of 10 Old 08-13-2006, 02:48 AM

not her, but I will give it a go.
For birth control, contact them, and see if they need them:
http://www.madre.org/programs/ha/medicalproject.html

Or get intouch with planned parenthood and see if they can help.

For broken electronics, contact preschools. My friend is a preschool teacher, and she always keeps broken electronics available for her kids to take apart.
#5 of 10 Old 08-14-2006, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieBugsMama
Ok, here's a strange one for you: a month or two ago, my gyn gave me three months worth (three packs) of a new bc pill. I took it for less than a week, it reconfirmed my knowledge that my body cannot handle bc pills, and now I have two unopened, unused boxes of bc pills. I hate to throw them out, but I can't figure out who would want them or be willing to take them.

Any ideas?
I'd contact Planned Parenthood or a local Free clinic! You could call around to teen shelters/goverment services and they could help you. Also you could try calling your gyn and returning them. As long as they're unopened s/he should be able to take them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonscricket
How about broken electronics? (VCRs, tape decks and such)
PP had a good suggestion, I'd also check with your local middle/high schools mechanics/shop programs, or a local technical/community college might have mechanic/computer/etc programs that could utilize them.

#6 of 10 Old 08-14-2006, 10:41 AM

Thanks!

Maria , wife to Frank and mama to Gracie (12/09/03) and Evie (06/24/09) , living in domestic bliss!
#7 of 10 Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a piece of crap '86 Chevy Nova that I don't even know if it runs anymore. Who would possibly want this?

Thanks for doing this, btw. What a great idea!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 10 Old 08-14-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
We have a piece of crap '86 Chevy Nova that I don't even know if it runs anymore. Who would possibly want this?

Thanks for doing this, btw. What a great idea!
A local High School automotives department would LOVE this car for student projects! Our local HS is always looking for "project cars" doesn't matter if they run or not, that's the whole point of the class is to "fix 'em"!

Otherwise Cars for a Cause is a good one. You usually get a tax deduction too for donating it!

#9 of 10 Old 08-16-2006, 12:36 AM

old formal dresses. I know there is a group that takes them for girls who need help to go to Prom, but I don't know where or who that group is.
#10 of 10 Old 08-16-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsps
old formal dresses. I know there is a group that takes them for girls who need help to go to Prom, but I don't know where or who that group is.
The Organization is a non-profit called Abby's Closet. Click on the link below to view their website!
Go to Abby's Closet

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page