Do you run your dishwasher every night? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz
Only when it's full. Sometimes that means every day, sometimes we only run it a couple times/week. During the summer, the kids eat lunch outside a lot and don't use plates. So we can go longer without running the dishwasher.

I'm another person who thinks it's wasteful to run a half-full dishwasher.
Maybe it's my interpretation of posts, but I am not really seeing anybody denying that it is somewhat wasteful to run a partially-filled dishwasher. That's common sense, isn't it?

Am I the only one who wants to vomit at the smell of the DW at +36 hours? Or who has had ants invade the dishwasher and spread to the rest of the kitchen after trying to not waste energy by running a partially filled dishwasher? Ick.

For me it's a question as well of staying on a routine; I want a clean sink in the morning, so it's either load and run the DW at night and put the dishes away in the morning, or wash the dishes by hand and put them away. I used to look at the energy costs more closely and neglect my emotional investment; now I just take both of them into consideration. Sometimes doing dishes by hand at night is very soothing, and sometimes I want the dishwasher to do the work.
#32 of 53 Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 AM

I only run ours when it is full or nearly full and we are running out of spoons or sippy cups or something. Usualy 3 times a week.

Quote:
Am I the only one who wants to vomit at the smell of the DW at +36 hours?
Mine dosn't smell. Do you scrape your plates and rinse milk cups?
#33 of 53 Old 08-14-2006, 02:47 PM

We clean our plates off pretty well before running the dishwasher, so the smell doesn't bother us. These days, we fill it up every 24 hours. Sometimes more often. I try to run it every night, and it is almost always at capacity. We live in the humid Midwest, so this summer I have started running it when we go to bed at night, and turning off the 'heated dry.' It seems to dry just as well by the time we wake up. The heated dry, in addition to the wash cycle, was really pumping a lot of heat and humidity into the kitchen. I think - perhaps wrongly - that we are saving energy by not heating up the house in the middle of the day, even if the washer is only 75% full.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#34 of 53 Old 08-14-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Mine dosn't smell. Do you scrape your plates and rinse milk cups?
Yep, sure do. I've never quite figured it out, but it's seriously stomach-turningly awful. Could be the humidity; like HydeParkB, we run ours at night and I've never used the heated dry. Usually I open it up a crack in the morning and let it air dry a bit before putting the dishes up.
#35 of 53 Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 AM

I wash about 2 loads of full dishes a day, i don't turn it on every night before we got to bed, usally it's not full it was full 1/2 threw me making dinner and i start it then, empty it after dinner then it's about 1/2 full and they cyle starts over with AM dishes then i start it and then lunch and 1/2 of the dinner dishes...
#36 of 53 Old 08-16-2006, 09:29 PM

I run it when I don't expect I'd be able to put all the dishes from another meal in there. It works out to about a day and a half. As much as I like the dishwasher full of clean dishes in the morning, I won't run it unless it is at least full to that point.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#37 of 53 Old 08-19-2006, 10:34 PM

Funny, that it's such a small thing... but it's directly related to my sanity level! Ours gets set to run at night while we are sleeping; but it's almost always full by then anyway. If my DH gets involved and changes the schedule, it just really throws off my morning.
#38 of 53 Old 08-19-2006, 11:06 PM

We run it when it's full--once a week, usually. We wash the boys' bottles and all pots, pans and other unwieldy pieces by hand.
#39 of 53 Old 08-20-2006, 11:04 AM

Ours gets starts when it's full. It just happens to be every 24-36 hours. So if I didn't run it at night it will run after the breakfast or lunch dishes the next day.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#40 of 53 Old 08-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja
I run it when it's so full that another meal's dishes & pans won't fit. Sometimes that means it gets run only semi-full, but it works to keep the dishes moving.
That's what we do. We end up running it almost every night; occasionally there will be enough room left for breakfast dishes to fit in and I'll wait to run it in the morning.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#41 of 53 Old 08-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

to encourage children to use the same dishes over and over, one mom i know went to one of those 'paint your own' pottery classes with her kids, had them paint their own mug, bowl, and small plate--and made a set for herself and husband. during the day, they use only their dishes, and for dinner, they use 'family dishes.'

this decreased the overuse of clean dishes.
#42 of 53 Old 08-21-2006, 02:50 AM

We run our dw every night. It is a super-efficient one that uses very little water, and we don't have to prerinse our dishes for them to come clean. It uses less water to run it than it would take to rinse everything so it wouldn't be smelly if left in there another day. We also put in all our pots and pans from cooking dinner (also unrinsed), so it's rarely not full when run. Sometimes we run it in "top solo" mode, where only the top rack is washed; then we cram everything into that rack.

I too find that stuff piles up in the kitchen if I can't start out the day with an empty dw to start filling.

Sorta OT, but when DS was about 18 months old he went through that 'loving to play in the dw' phase. We kept all the day's dishes on the counter til he went to bed, then loaded the dw and ran it. What a pain that was! I hated having the sink and counter full of dirty dishes.
#43 of 53 Old 08-21-2006, 02:58 AM

I run mine 2-3 times a day! I wish I had 2 dishwashers! My poor children are constantly emptying the dishwasher. We cook alot, and don't eat out too much. Anyway, I would wash a not full dishwasher if it ever were. They get much cleaner when the dishwasher isn't stuffed full.
#44 of 53 Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM

Hi, I'm new here. If your dishwasher is not quite full you can always add in soap dishes, stove burner pans & odds & ends like that to get some other chores done painlessly & not waste the empty space.
#45 of 53 Old 08-23-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em T
Hi, I'm new here. If your dishwasher is not quite full you can always add in soap dishes, stove burner pans & odds & ends like that to get some other chores done painlessly & not waste the empty space.
It NEVER occurred to me that you could put stove burner pans in there! Holy cow, my dirty stove burner pans thank you.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#46 of 53 Old 08-25-2006, 06:13 PM

We run ours at least once a day, oftentimes more. It just gets full so quickly- I'm one of those people that can dirty four mixing bowls making toast.

If I need to run the dishwasher to make room for the next meal's dishes but there is still a little room left in it I can almost always find something else to stick in there: the tray from ds's high chair, the dog's food and water bowls, the fruit bowl that sits on the kitchen table, the tea kettle that normally lives on the stove, the carafe to the coffee maker, a vase, the burners to your electic stove, sometimes even a plastic toy that is grimy, etc. Although they don't need daily washing all of those can benefit from an occasional good, hot washing.
#47 of 53 Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 PM

I'm pretty obsessive about making sure the dishwasher is full before I turn it on. Even so, I run the dishwasher at least twice daily. I'm with chefpaige--I wish I had 2 dishwashers, esp. when all the kids are out of school. Usually by the time it gets washed and unloaded, there's enough dirty dishes to fill again. I'm seriously surprised that people can go several days without running their dishwashers. Do you not cook?

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#48 of 53 Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj
It NEVER occurred to me that you could put stove burner pans in there! Holy cow, my dirty stove burner pans thank you.
the other thing that can go in is the metal filter from your kitchen hood/fan unit
#49 of 53 Old 08-25-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em T
That's what I do also...plus the dog bowls, microwave dish, etc. since I can't stand to run it half-full. Mine gets washed every day or every other day but I load the dishes right in it. I can't stand dirty dishes in the sink or on the counter. And it's always at night so I can wake up to a clean kitchen. I'll empty it while the coffee's brewing.
#50 of 53 Old 08-26-2006, 12:09 AM

We don't have one in this house: So, we handwash after every meal, we plan on getting one next summer, but I don't really think I'll use it, I've gotten used to handwashing again.
#51 of 53 Old 08-26-2006, 02:50 PM

ideally, I need to run it once a day. But what really happens.......

I try to be good, but every month or two I fall off the wagon and it takes me awhile to get back on, like a week or so. Dishes pile up, I procrastinate, blah blah.

My ideal, what I usually try to have happen is this: rinse everything off quickly after use, put in dishwasher. before dinner, if dishwasher was run, take clean stuff out, so dh can load it.
He has been helping clear off the table at night for awhile now So if I'm smart, I will do this more often.

I have way too many dishes to go a day in between without running it.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#52 of 53 Old 08-26-2006, 07:18 PM

I've just recenlty begun running ours every day or every other day (depending on when it is full). Half of our sink collects dirty dishes, mid morning I unload all the dishes and load all the dirty dishes. There are always (just about) dishes in our sink to be loaded, so I'm running the dishwasher usually once a day.
#53 of 53 Old 08-27-2006, 02:23 AM

We only run ours when full, which is at least once a day! We *do* have five kids. I run mine at night after supper & unload in the AM so that we can load throughout the day. It saves my sanity because it keeps my counters & sink relatively uncluttered.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page