Do you run your dishwasher every night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 08-06-2006, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this isn't too OT, but I've heard several people say that their day can go ok, or completely fall apart, based on the status of the dishwasher. The frugal side of me doesn't like to run it unless it's completely full. My mom once told her friends that if a toothpick would still fit in my dishwasher, I wouldn't run it.

However, I have been noticing lately that the day goes a lot better if it starts with a dw full of clean dishes which I put away first thing. Otherwise, it ends up getting full at the most inconvenient time, and I have to run it, which means that then stuff starts piling up in the sink, on the counters, etc. and it's really hard to start dinner with a full sink and trashed counters.

My sister runs hers every night, no matter how full or empty it is. Well, I guess if it was completely empty she wouldn't run it, but she'll run it with very little in there.

What about you?
#2 of 53 Old 08-06-2006, 10:51 PM

We only run it every few days (maybe 2-3x a week). Of course, we also let dishes pile up if it isn't convenient to put them in the dw immed. I think its incredibly wasteful to run a partially full dw and won't/wouldn't do it myself.
#3 of 53 Old 08-06-2006, 10:52 PM

I have a portable dishwasher and I need to hook it up to the sink. The boys like to roll it around though, which is not good. I fill mine in the morning and run it if it needs to be run during J's nap or after he goes to bed. I don't have to run it every day, more like every other day.
#4 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 12:37 AM

No I don't run it every night, but my dh does. If it was up to me it would only be run when full. But in our division of labor the dishes are his job so he can do them his way. Any way he wants really, as long as I don't have to do it. I hate doing dishes.
#5 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 12:46 AM

I only run it when it's entirely full.

Sometimes that means every night, sometimes it's every other night--- it depends what kinds of meals have been made that day, and who made them.... dp can dirty four mixing bowls to make toast!

I heart having a dishwasher!

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#6 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Banned

we run it when it's full. but i typically do most dishes by hand anyway. tomorrow morning, i'll get up and clean 2 coffee mugs, 2 drinking glasses, a handful of silverware, three small plates and one large one. So, not too much--easy enough to do by hand. My DH will empty the dishwasher when he gets home from work (he has two chores--empty the DW and take out the trash/recycling)--and i'll start to fill it (instead of washing by hand--except all pots and pans). Should be full in a couple of days.

funny though: when my DH would get frustrated about dishes, i would tell him to stop using so many, to clean them as soon as he was finished using them (at least rinse)--and it'll be easier. And he would fume and fuss and say 'you use dishes too!' which of course, is true.

then i went out of town for a week--and he noticed that he had more dishes that week than ever before. he realized "wow, i do use a lot of dishes!" and then he watched me one saturday and noticed this:

i cook eggs and veggies in the same pan for breakfast and as soon as i plate the eggs and veggies, i rinse and/or wash the pan and set it to dry. I sit down with a plate, fork, drinking glass with water, and a mug of tea. I spend about 30 minutes eating breakfast, then i get up and wash my dishes (except drinking glass which i refill all day). At lunch, i'll use the same breakfast plate, fork, and drinking glass and make a salad. If i use a knife and cutting board, i wash it before i eat, and then wash my plate and fork after eating. When having a snack, i'll typically choose finger foods that don't require dishes--though i'll use the same dish again if not, and wash it after. At dinner, when a pot is empty, i'll wash it right away, but if it needs to cool off or soak, i'll set it in the sink to soak overnite. Typically, i leave my dinner dishes (and his)--and the next day i'll either wash them by hand (have to with pots/pans anyway) or put those dishes in the dish washer.

he realized that i use FAR fewer dishes than he does. by the end of the day, he's used 3-6 plates (meals and snacks), every pot and pan he could get his hands on, new utensils every time, and multiple drinking glasses.

no wonder he feels overwhelmed. LOL
#7 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 AM

I run it when it's so full that another meal's dishes & pans won't fit. Sometimes that means it gets run only semi-full, but it works to keep the dishes moving.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#8 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 01:28 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've been trying to get in the habit of running it every evening (and it's usually full then anyway).

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 AM

We only run it when it's completely full, but that is every day here. Just putting the coffee pot and its lid, and the coffee basket in, filled up half the top rack. I wash pots, thermoses, pet bowls, etc. in it.
#10 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsoSarah
dp can dirty four mixing bowls to make toast!
Sounds like your dh and my dh are related!
#11 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird
we run it when it's full. but i typically do most dishes by hand anyway. tomorrow morning, i'll get up and clean 2 coffee mugs, 2 drinking glasses, a handful of silverware, three small plates and one large one. So, not too much--easy enough to do by hand. My DH will empty the dishwasher when he gets home from work (he has two chores--empty the DW and take out the trash/recycling)--and i'll start to fill it (instead of washing by hand--except all pots and pans). Should be full in a couple of days.

funny though: when my DH would get frustrated about dishes, i would tell him to stop using so many, to clean them as soon as he was finished using them (at least rinse)--and it'll be easier. And he would fume and fuss and say 'you use dishes too!' which of course, is true.

then i went out of town for a week--and he noticed that he had more dishes that week than ever before. he realized "wow, i do use a lot of dishes!" and then he watched me one saturday and noticed this:

i cook eggs and veggies in the same pan for breakfast and as soon as i plate the eggs and veggies, i rinse and/or wash the pan and set it to dry. I sit down with a plate, fork, drinking glass with water, and a mug of tea. I spend about 30 minutes eating breakfast, then i get up and wash my dishes (except drinking glass which i refill all day). At lunch, i'll use the same breakfast plate, fork, and drinking glass and make a salad. If i use a knife and cutting board, i wash it before i eat, and then wash my plate and fork after eating. When having a snack, i'll typically choose finger foods that don't require dishes--though i'll use the same dish again if not, and wash it after. At dinner, when a pot is empty, i'll wash it right away, but if it needs to cool off or soak, i'll set it in the sink to soak overnite. Typically, i leave my dinner dishes (and his)--and the next day i'll either wash them by hand (have to with pots/pans anyway) or put those dishes in the dish washer.

he realized that i use FAR fewer dishes than he does. by the end of the day, he's used 3-6 plates (meals and snacks), every pot and pan he could get his hands on, new utensils every time, and multiple drinking glasses.

no wonder he feels overwhelmed. LOL
I wanna be just like you.
#12 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 08:37 AM

I used to get hung up on not running a partially filled dw but stopped worrying about it when (1) I realized it uses the same amount of energy and water whether it's full or empty and (2) I really have to at minimum do a "rinse and hold" if I leave the dishes for the next day because I really cannot stand the horrible smell of a stinky, day-old, half-filled dishwasher. So if I'm going to do "rinse and hold," I might as well just give in and wash them. If I had only a very few and felt guilty, I'd probably just run a sink of water and take them back out and hand wash them.

Going to an every-night running has indeed helped our house run more smoothly the last few months.
#13 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

chillie:

it's all about learning to clean while you're doing things. the kitchen can get overwhelming when you don't have a system.

while cooking, i clean up all items that were used to prep--knives, bowls for holding until adding to pots, cutting board, and then i wipe down the countertop. I plate the food, and since we usually don't have left overs, i rinse the pots as soon as they're empty--and sometimes wash them right then, and then set them on the hot plates to cool.

it really is easier to 'clean as you're going' than it is to clean everything once you're done. and, it's nicer that way.
#14 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 12:20 PM

I always wait until our dishwasher is full to run it. I don't want to waste a full loads worth of water and energy to wash half a dishwasher load of dishes. I usually run our dishwasher every 2 days in the evening. Then I unload it in the morning. It works great for us!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#15 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 12:24 PM

No. But I don't use the dishwasher very often, anyway. We usually do the dishes by hand. I used to just let them pile up, but I have gotten MUCH BETTER lately at doing them each night before bed. Waking up to a sink full of dirty dishes was so depressing. Sometimes I "treat myself" and put them in the dishwasher. Then I run it if it is full (usually takes 3 days or so) or if we are out of bowls or forks or whatever we are using the most of.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#16 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 01:06 PM

When we have dh's kids for the weekend, I seriously run it 2-3 times a DAY! Its just amazing to see how much food 2 teens can eat :

When its just our 'little' family, once a night or every other day is just fine.

I do like to keep the sink free of dirty dishes so I try to keep the dishwasher loaded with just dirties and run as needed.

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

#17 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 PM

I seriously had no idea people ran the dishwasher when it wasn't full. How strange. We run our dishwasher about 2 times a week.

So much of our electricity in the US comes from coal power - i.e. lots of greenhouse gas emissions! I don't understand why people are so wasteful with reguards to electricity. Maybe because it's so inexpensive that it's hard to cut back?
#18 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 02:06 PM

AlsoSarah! My DH is the same way.

Zoebird, I think your DH and my DH got the same memo on how to cook. It's crazy how many dishes my DH can use to make a simple meal. No wonder his mom used paper plates when he lived at home!

I run my washer every night after dinner. In the morning while I am making coffee, I unload it so I can just stick the dirty dishes in as the day goes by. I hate having a pile of dishes in the sink now that I have a perfectly good dishwasher! I would never run it unless it was completly full, and only run it more than once a day during big holiday cooking sessions or canning season. It is fantastic for getting those canning jars hot and squeeky clean!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#19 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 02:44 PM

I put my dinner dishes in the dishwasher at night, but I only run the dishwasher in the morning (after all of the breakfast dishes are put into it.)

Since everyone is at school/work all day, there are no dishes being dirtied.

This way, I come home to clean dishes, rather than a sink full of dirty breakfast ones. Not to mention, I know that everything I need to make/serve dinner is clean and ready to use.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#20 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 03:14 PM

I only run it when it's full...sometimes it's daily, sometimes every 2-3.
#21 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 03:16 PM

Yes, have to between babysitting 3 days a week, my brother staying with us, it's a must.
#22 of 53 Old 08-07-2006, 05:06 PM

we run ours on average every 2 days - and I always put it on at night before I go to bed, so that there are no dirty dishes waiting for me on the side when we get up in the morning. I find it so much more pleasant to start out that way in the morning - it's waaaay too depressing to start out with a messy kitchen
#23 of 53 Old 08-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Not only daily, but several times/day. I look at it as a timesaver...I can load it in about 3 minutes and move on to some other task. I'm home w/3 kids and we don't use paper. There's always tons of cups to wash, even though I try and get them to reuse the same cups, it only works so well. Plus I cook from scratch alot so I use alot of dishes myself.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#24 of 53 Old 08-08-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja
I run it when it's so full that another meal's dishes & pans won't fit. Sometimes that means it gets run only semi-full, but it works to keep the dishes moving.
Same here
#25 of 53 Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 PM

Only when it's full. Sometimes that means every day, sometimes we only run it a couple times/week. During the summer, the kids eat lunch outside a lot and don't use plates. So we can go longer without running the dishwasher.

I'm another person who thinks it's wasteful to run a half-full dishwasher.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#26 of 53 Old 08-08-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach'smom
I always wait until our dishwasher is full to run it. I don't want to waste a full loads worth of water and energy to wash half a dishwasher load of dishes. I usually run our dishwasher every 2 days in the evening. Then I unload it in the morning. It works great for us!
This is pretty much what I do too. : I run ours 2-3x a week, late at night while we're sleeping.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#27 of 53 Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 PM

I cannot sleep unless my kitchen is completely clean, which to me, means dishwasher empty, so yeah, I run mine every night after dinner so that I can empty it before I go to bed at 9.
#28 of 53 Old 08-09-2006, 04:46 PM

We don't have a dishwasher, but we do do the dishes every night, and put away the clean, dry dishes every morning. It's too depressing otherwise.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#29 of 53 Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 PM

We run it every night! Makes life soooo very much better to walk into a clean kitchen first thing in the morning to make coffee. I can unload it while I wait for the coffee to brew then baske in the "order" until my kiddo's come running in for breakfast. ahhhh!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#30 of 53 Old 08-12-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishy
I have a portable dishwasher and I need to hook it up to the sink. The boys like to roll it around though, which is not good. I fill mine in the morning and run it if it needs to be run during J's nap or after he goes to bed. I don't have to run it every day, more like every other day.
I have a portable dishwasher, too. I'm happy to have it, but it's such a pain to have to roll it over because then I don't have access to the sink.
I know that sounds silly..

Anyway.. we also run ours almost every day, if I'm lucky it's every other day. I like to run it during the afternoon during naptime.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page