There are no closet doors in my new apartment!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have ideas on what I can do to cover all my storage without spending the money on installing new closet doors?? Anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Curtains? I've used curtains on a tension rod before. Or how about sliding fabric panels...I think I saw them at Ikea.
#3 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hang curtains. Curtains for closet doors can be made inexpensively from bedsheets. Buy twin bed sheet and cheap compression rod (the kind that stays in place because of a spring pushing the ends outward). Hang the sheet from the rod in the closet, by the sleeve at the top that's sewn into most sheets.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#4 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

yup, i'd do curtains.

when i worked at a convent for a time, there were no doors anywhere in the house--no bathroom door, no bedroom door--only back and front doors to the house. All doors were covered with curtains. I thought it looked really lovely.
#5 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 03:09 PM

Our house didn't have closet doors for a long time (we were renovating and took forever to get around to hanging new ones) and I actually kind of liked it that way. It forced me to keep things super neat!

But if you do want them covered, I agree with curtains. I had a closet in my college dorm room that didn't have a door, so I bought a tension rod and a big piece of fabric, and sewed a curtain to fit.

Or you could do beads if that's your thing (I don't think I could do that around here because the kids would probably play with them too much!)
#6 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama
Curtains? I've used curtains on a tension rod before. Or how about sliding fabric panels...I think I saw them at Ikea.
Fabric shower curtains on tension rods work nicely for wider openings.
#7 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 PM

fabric stapled to the corners is what my friends and I did in our first grown-up apartment Since then I've done everything from curtains to fiberboard to a holographic fish shower curtain on a tension rod, with a fair share of those bead art 'doors' from Spencer Gifts in between times..
#8 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM

I actually just took the doors OFF my bedroom closet (small room combined with queen bed and double closet doors never really worked that well). I used this http://tinyurl.com/hh9wz . It's from IKEA, very cool and easy to install.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#9 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 01:06 AM

I recommend cloth shower curtains as they're a heavier material and cheaper than curtains! Also they're easier to launder than curtains also!

Or try a screen...one of those that has four or five panels that fold so you can shape them whichever way you want!

OR be really daring and have super organized closets ala "California Closets" where it puts everything that you own/in your closet on "display!"

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#10 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin
Hang curtains. Curtains for closet doors can be made inexpensively from bedsheets. Buy twin bed sheet and cheap compression rod (the kind that stays in place because of a spring pushing the ends outward). Hang the sheet from the rod in the closet, by the sleeve at the top that's sewn into most sheets.
The last apartment we lived in, we did this...when we moved here, we kept it, but shortened it and have it hanging above the washer and dryer to hide the shelves there. (I also used this technique with dark colored sheets behind my sheers in the living room to keep the sun out!)
#11 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

i'm only using my closet for storage that i wont be getting into on a daily basis. i'm going to hang my curtains there... the ones that are stained in the corner that came with the apartment. then i'm putting my heavy vanity with the big mirror on top in front of it. it makes a lot more room for my bed.

i bought two saris off of ebay to make new curtains for my windows with.
#12 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

saris make awesome curtains. . .and many other awesome things too.

your idea re: dresser sounds great too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page