Do you buy your kids clothes ahead of time when on sale, or wait till you need them? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-25-2006, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We buy ahead as we see things, but only used items, and only when it's a GREAT deal (usually rummage sales/thrift shops or something really cute or special. We've been burned a couple times, but since we don't spend a whole lot, I figure we're overally still getting a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird
but, my family (just DH and I right now) are trying to streamline down to only a few items of clothing--that seven items concept. we want to do this with our children as well.
Zoebird, this is an intriguing idea. Do you have more info on it? Do you basically choose a color scheme and only buy things that go together? I tried to google it but all I came up with was brand name "Seven" jeans!
#32 of 53 Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 PM

I don't generally buy ahead. First of all, my 3 oldest are girls and are very particular as to what they will wear and really need to try the clothes on. My 11 yo has sensory integration disorder, so she won't wear jeans or anything that is even remotely tight, itchy, or uncomfortable.

My youngest has lots of clothes from his older brother so he doesn't need much. I always seem to find what I need cheap: yard sales, seasonal sales, salvation army, friends, etc.
#33 of 53 Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToKandE
I tend to buy shirts for ds and dresses for dd on off-season sales. I find these don't have to fit as exactly so there's more wiggle room for what fits. If a shirt or a dress is a little big it doesn't matter much.

I don't really buy pants/shorts for ds until he needs them. They need to fit more exactly and he's tall and skinny so the fit really depends on the cut of each item.

Dd is a big dress/skirt person so she doesn't wear many pants, just leggings, tights, or bike shorts under her dress.
That's what I need to do I guess; keep looking for good deals on shirts and dresses, but save the pants/shorts till we need them. I just found out yesterday that ds is only 27 lb at 3 years old. He is so skinny. He only gained one pound in a whole year (though he did grow 2 inches). But then he might hit a year where he grows 4 or 5 inches, who knows. I'm thinking that ds2 (also 27 lb at 20 months old) will be the one who ends up wearing the pants that I thought I was buying for ds1...
#34 of 53 Old 08-26-2006, 08:18 PM

Right now my kids are pretty prdictable, they are still young. I have bought quite a bit of summer clothes for next year already. They are such great prices I couldn't say no. I would think as kids get older it would be harder to do that. You never can tell when a major growth spurt will occur.

But for now I still do.
#35 of 53 Old 08-26-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inclothdiapers
That's what I need to do I guess; keep looking for good deals on shirts and dresses, but save the pants/shorts till we need them. I just found out yesterday that ds is only 27 lb at 3 years old. He is so skinny. He only gained one pound in a whole year (though he did grow 2 inches).
I'm in the same boat -- I just make sure to only buy pants that have belt loops. I never have a problem of the pants being too long, but even pants that are 4" too short are still too big in the waist! He's nearly a 3T but his waist size corresponds to like a 12-month size, I'm not kidding. So he wears a belt with pretty much everything, pants or shorts. I kind of hated all the belts for little boys I found in stores but then I found these belts online and they're the best! So easy for little kids to do on their own:

Toddler belts with velcro
#36 of 53 Old 08-27-2006, 04:46 PM

I don't buy ahead unless I see a huge, screaming deal. I got ds four (or five?) pairs of pants for about $1 each in sizes 3T-5T about a year ago - he's two now. They're hanging in the closet, but I'm sure he'll need them at some point. I will buy ahead for the next season for dd (ie, end of summer, I bought a couple of spring/summer dresses on clearance) but only a little ahead, because she's very picky about clothes and her tastes change.

I will buy shoes on super-clearance a little further ahead, because if my kid doesn't fit into them at the proper time I can always find someone who can use them. And shoes are expensive.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#37 of 53 Old 08-27-2006, 06:58 PM

I do tend to buy ahead on sale for my kids. I can't do it for my oldest dd, because she tends to grow the fastest, but my younger kids grow more slowly. I was lucky, because I got a lot of great deals for my youngest son and will not have to spend that much on him this coming fall. I also go with the idea of buying outfits, not seperates. I also go through what I buy at the beginning of the season, mid season, and at the end of the season. So, I'm keeping track of what I have. I'm overly organized though and can pretty much tell you what we have in any given section.
#38 of 53 Old 08-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I don't buy ahead unless I see a huge, screaming deal. I got ds four (or five?) pairs of pants for about $1 each
Where is that?! Are they online? Will they post overseas?
I think clothes are more expensive over here, like a pair of target trackpants are about $7 which an American told me was expensive. I have never in my life seen pants for $1 each. Wow i think I have got a huge screaming deal if I see pants (cargoes, cordaroys etc) going for $10.
#39 of 53 Old 08-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

At the most, I buy one year ahead, more than that, I feel guilty that the clothing isn't taking care of another child. Plus, I believe in trusting in God for my provision.
#40 of 53 Old 08-27-2006, 10:50 PM

I buy 1 year ahead during the after season sales. If I end up with too much I can sell it online for more than I paid right before the season starts.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#41 of 53 Old 08-30-2006, 12:37 AM

I do a lot of the things mentioned here

We are lucky to have large closets and a lot of storage space. In each child's closet we have boxes used from moving, the kind paper comes in with lids (see the "where to get moving boxes..." thread). Each box is labeled with the size, season and type of clothes. I like these boxes because they keep me for accumulating too much in each size, they stack and fit into our space well, and I can write on them easily. I have clothes up to 14 for DS (currently a size 8/10), and up to 10 for DD (currently a 5). When I get handmedowns, they are sorted, washed and put away ASAP. Like Somanythings, I do not keep, store, or buy anything media related (The exception is a tweety bird outfit and a barbie nightgown DD just got in a box of handmedowns that fits her right now). I only buy things at yard sales, and on clearance if it is a basic wardrobe staple, like classic jeans, socks, plain sweatshirts and t-shirts. I buy coats and shoes on clearance or goodwill only. A few times I have been stuck without something I just could not find (like underpants!) and had to go out and buy some... but someone somewhere is always having a sale.

As for how to know what I need, I keep a small notebook of what we have in my purse. Each person (including adults) has a few pages per size with "what" and "how many". For example, one page will say "DD. Size 5. Pants. (jeans/blue)- 3 pair. (jeans/decorated) - 2 pair; butterfly, flower. (dress) 3, one black, one tan, one navy... and so on up the sizes. If there is something I need in particular I write it on a post-it and stick it to the inside front cover.

On the front few pages are current sizes and measurements, and starting in the back are gift ideas for everyone in the family.

I got my ideas from The Tightwad Gazette.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#42 of 53 Old 08-30-2006, 12:44 PM

I buy 95% a season ahead or two and on clearance, it has saved our butts so many times when we hit a rough spot just as all 3 of them grew at the same time and all I had to do was go into a box and pull out brand new stuff.

Then if there are fill ins that are needed I buy them then. I rarely buy shoes ahead, it's too risky they will skip a size but I have done it if they were cheap enough. The only problem I'm running into with buying random stuff on clearance is sometimes I have a lot of clothing but not much matches well with everything else so I'm trying to buy more solids only so everything matches.
#43 of 53 Old 08-31-2006, 11:43 PM

Serenetabbie, I totally recognize your system from Tightwad Gazette. Great book!

We do store too-big clothes, some of which I buy ahead and some of which are given to us (people usually feel safer buying a size up to make sure it will fit!). Most things I can store in bins up in ds's closet.

I think it is a lot easier to shop ahead for boys, since you can always match jeans with almost any shirt, and the same with khakis, corduroys, etc. It must be much tougher for girls because it seems like all their pants have some little embroidered flower or something that limits what shirt can match it. Also, I can put a short-sleeved shirt on him in the fall/winter over a long-sleeved tshirt, so he still gets to wear that super cute shirt and now has a cool skater look as well.

That said, I think if we had someone giving us hand-me-downs, it would be a lot tougher to find storage space around here. Not that I would complain!
#44 of 53 Old 09-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipGal
I think it is a lot easier to shop ahead for boys, since you can always match jeans with almost any shirt, and the same with khakis, corduroys, etc. It must be much tougher for girls because it seems like all their pants have some little embroidered flower or something that limits what shirt can match it. Also, I can put a short-sleeved shirt on him in the fall/winter over a long-sleeved tshirt, so he still gets to wear that super cute shirt and now has a cool skater look as well.
We do this, too. At the end of last winter, Old Navy had boys' long-sleeve tees on sale for like $3. I bought three of them and now DS can keep wearing his summer t-shirts. I think it looks cute Plus it's so easy to mix & match!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#45 of 53 Old 09-02-2006, 03:07 PM

I buy stuff when it is on sale, usually the next size up. I am buying a ton of stuff at flea markets and yard sales lately. Its not fun to store, but it is saving me a ton of cash.
#46 of 53 Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipGal
I think it is a lot easier to shop ahead for boys, since you can always match jeans with almost any shirt, and the same with khakis, corduroys, etc.
I think so too! When I read some of the previous posts about only buying "outfits" I was like . My son's wardrobe at any given time is like 4-5 pairs navy blue pants/shorts, 4-5 pairs of khaki pants/shorts, and 4-5 pairs of denim pants/shorts. Then he has around 12-15 shirts. Everything matches, just about. I was baffled that anyone would buy only "outfits" and then I realized little girls' clothes are so different, and decorated. It seems like more work to keep on top of but it must be more fun too!
#47 of 53 Old 09-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday
I think so too! When I read some of the previous posts about only buying "outfits" I was like . My son's wardrobe at any given time is like 4-5 pairs navy blue pants/shorts, 4-5 pairs of khaki pants/shorts, and 4-5 pairs of denim pants/shorts. Then he has around 12-15 shirts. Everything matches, just about. I was baffled that anyone would buy only "outfits" and then I realized little girls' clothes are so different, and decorated. It seems like more work to keep on top of but it must be more fun too!
It IS so different.. I have a dd and a ds and I have to say that there are more items in dd's closet!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#48 of 53 Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 PM

I try to buy ahead. We are lucky here in Seattle that most of the year we can wear the same types of clothes -long sleeve tees and pants work well. So I buy ahead, particularly in things that are forgiving in sizes (where you can roll up a sleeve or cuff if it's a bit too big.) For one-piece outfits it doesn't work well for me so I don't generally do it.

Agree that with DD it's going to be harder, I'm noticing already how all the clothes have little embroidery on them such that the pants might have butterflies on them and then you can't wear a shirt with horses on it, etc. That is why I actually try to avoid Gymboree - mixing and matching outside of the "set" is very hard to do. (that's not to say I don't get sucked in once in awhile... )

I also store the larger sized things in boxes and then go thru them as they outgrow the stuff they're wearing. We do have a big basement, so storage space isn't an issue luckily.
#49 of 53 Old 09-03-2006, 02:07 PM

I somewhat buy ahead of season, probably 1/2. I have big storage bags at the top of the boys' closet that I have pieces of paper in them with the dates they need to be opened.

But sometimes I see how my sister does it and it seems easier. She gets all the shopping done in one day for them, a few weeks before fall. No storing or planning. And her kids have enough clothes. I think mine have too many!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#50 of 53 Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions
Agree that with DD it's going to be harder, I'm noticing already how all the clothes have little embroidery on them such that the pants might have butterflies on them and then you can't wear a shirt with horses on it, etc.
Because EVERYONE knows that horses and butterflies don't mix. To avoid this, I'm sticking with unisex clothes as much as possible, except for the hand-me-downs.
#51 of 53 Old 09-03-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
Because EVERYONE knows that horses and butterflies don't mix. To avoid this, I'm sticking with unisex clothes as much as possible, except for the hand-me-downs.
I know, crazy isn't it? fwiw, dd wears a lot of ds's hand me downs, because they are a lot easier and often pretty darn GN in my book - tho some of my friends disagree.
#52 of 53 Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 AM

Because I buy most of our clothing at yard sales I buy ahead of time.

I buy up to a couple of sizes to big to cover growth spurts.

Most of the yard sales in this area are late spring and summer.

Clothes are stored in rubber maid containers.
#53 of 53 Old 09-04-2006, 12:02 AM

ITA srain! I think I am lucky to have a boy first, so if anything survives to be handed down to DD (who has LOADS of h.m.d. butterfly and flower stuff, btw), it will match something she has.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page