De-junking challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2006, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would love to start the New Year with a clutter-free home. Toward that end, I plan to de-junk a little each day between now and 31 December.

Anyone want to join me? This is not a "specific" challenge, it's more of a "let's all get rid of the c*@# in our homes that is causing us stress" kind of thing. (Sorry, you'll have to keep your in-laws. : )

We can post our progress regularly, to keep us on-track and motivated.

Let the clutter busting begin!

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I can join this challenge. First of all, I can count all the inherited junk from my uncle. We had a big yard sale last weekend and got rid of everything that wasn't valuable enough to ebay, but that still left a lot of stuff. We need to get rid of all that plus some of our own. PLUS I have a bunch of stuff in the attic at my mom's house that hasn't made the trip from our temporary storage place to our new home. So, I think I want to set a goal of October 31st for no more uncle crap, and onward to a junk-free 2007

I wish you had told me about the inlaws earlier though. I just put them out on the curb with a free sign taped to their fronts. I could go see if they are still there *I suppose*

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM

I'm in...DH is deployed..that is always my clean out the c*** time!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:01 AM

Well, I'll start by saying I got rid of 8 metal card files (to store index cards) that didn't sell at the yard sale on freecycle yesterday. Next up? The bizarre exercise machine my grandmother gave to us to sell which also no one was interested in.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 AM

I am in...I just got rid of about 10 big boxes of stuff...It is sitting at my mom's for the garage sale this weekend..What doesn't sell is going straight to Goodwill....
Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 AM

Got rid of a Little Leap Frog doll, baby step stool, too small bra...!!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 PM

subbing for the inspiration

I'm on a de-cluttering binge lately Kid's stuff goes to the consignment store. Out of season kid's stuff or adult clothing goes to Goodwill. Most anything can go to my Aunt's church sale (in October but she's collecting stuff now). Anything odd goes to freecycle. I was feeling sick yesterday so didn't do anything : Maybe today will be better (or I'll end up lying on the couch again )
Old 08-24-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have 2 bin liners full of things to donate to the charity shop, and another one that is nearly full.

Baby steps, right?

(I'm painting the kitchen on Saturday, so that will give me an opportunity to de-junk in one whole room. I'm taking everything out of the kitchen and finding homes only for the "keepers". The rest will go to the charity shop.)

Let's keep up the good work, everyone. There are only 129 days left of the year...(counting today)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 08-24-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne
There are only 129 days left of the year...(counting today)
Well, when 'ya put it that way . . .

I got together a bag of stuff today that I'll give to my mom in a few hours.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm in! I've been in de-clutter mode for awhile. I got rid of a few big plastic backyard toys already, and ds was SO good about it! It didn't seem to phase him (he didn't play with them, anyway). We are also lucky that the Goodwill is not too far away, so it is super easy to bring stuff there on a regular basis.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:55 AM

How do you sister-mommas get rid of clothes? I tend to keep too many. I know, I know, throw out all the clothes you haven't worn in the past year... But WHEN do you make time to go through all of them? Any advice? Why am I so bad at this?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:58 AM

im in.. im in this process anyways.. but its wlways good to be kept accountable!

we just finnished laying laminate wood floors in our home and while we did that my DS and i reorganised all of the toys in the house.. are getting rid of almost half!! (junky plastic crap) and sorted everything into bins and it looks and feels wonderful.

clothes and the closet from hell is the next thing.and the desk ( stuff gets shoved in here daily) ive done a bit in the kitchen.. its small anyways, so not to bad.. the closet is what scares me.. ive got a thing for clothes..especially for my kids..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM

subbing~ Because I am SOO in on this!!! I accept the challenge .

I've been doing great this week. Will be back later to post what I did exactly !!!

so happy to be a part of this!!: :

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 09-01-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Since my last post, I have eliminated the following from my home:

1 full-size bureau with 6 drawers
2 bin liners full of "stuff"
4 bags (of various sizes) of rubbish
1 plastic laundry hamper

I have a trunkful of donations to go to the charity shop tonight.

I was given a floor lamp yesterday. (I don't consider that contrary to my de-cluttering goals. The lamp is attractive, it works well, and I had a specific spot in mind to put it. ) It's amazing how one item can inspire great improvements. When I got home, I de-junked, thoughly vaccuumed and re-arranged the sitting area in my front room. (I didn't want to just plunk the new lamp down in the midst of all the chaos and clutter.) The "reading nook" (as my daughter has christened it) looks sooo good, I am motivated to take similar action in the dining area.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:34 PM

We had a yard sale last weekend and are doing a sat. only tomorrow we got rid of lots of books, toys, some clothes, furniture, randoms.. I'm sure that I can find something everyday until 1/1/07. If not there's always my parents stuff.They're packrats.

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 PM

gettin' rid of talkin' elmo, it creeps ds out. he got it for christmas from great g-ma.

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

Old 09-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Since ebay raised their rates last week I cleared out 4 boxes of books we're going to take to Half Price Books. That was on the agenda for last night but to our horror we found one of our cats had died unexpectedly with no warning during the day so the evening was spent having a funeral instead. The boxes are ready & we'll make it over there sometime on the weekend.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:49 PM

I donated five or six grocery bags to the local thrift store (and then only bought three new things, one a gift. I was sure I'd missed something, and when I pulled into the garage coming home... yep, I saw two more bags of clothes.

So those will go. And the bag of toys that I culled when cleaning out the playroom today. I'm also going to start a stash of things to give to a Mom in Need on the Holiday Helpers thread - a friend gave me a coat and snowpants for ds, but he's set, so those are starting the collection.

I need to go through dd's clothes and ds's too, since summer is winding down, to see which of their long pants and shirts from last year still fit. The rest I can donate.

I love the idea of a clutter-free house by New Year's!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 09-03-2006, 12:15 AM

I am totally in. I really need some inspiration to keep up this binge I am on now.

I have been off work since Thursday to switch kids rooms around and clean the hec out of this place before school starts on Tuesday! Now, I am not going to get everything by Tuesday....so I need to keep on it even after the first day of school comes and goes! I want the whole house done by the end of October...so that it is totally de-junked by the time the Holidays role around!

So, I put an old futon frame and mattress out to the curb last late last night and someone picked it up before I went to bed! (Gotta love living in a college town!) I was sooo excited!

I have a ton of get rid of stuff in piles around the house and in the basement....so I am not going to totally count them until they are actually OUT of the house...but they are sooo close. Old Kid books, clothes, and toys... a dresser, a twin bed frame, an old chest....all are going! This feels pretty good....

Just can't lose the momentum!
Old 09-03-2006, 01:24 AM

Em T, sorry about your cat s

I enjoy reading about everyone's sucesses I really think a nice, neat, de-cluttered house by 2007 is do-able for me and I'm very excited . Well, maybe not the basement and the attic but I think we might at least start on the basement by then. But the living areas should be good by then. Before then actually. Wow, how great will that be!

Thanks for all the inspiration
Old 09-03-2006, 01:38 AM

im going to post some "starting" pictures and then take some pictures as i go..

ive sold and gotten rid of a ton of diapers, wool, covers ect.. the last few days. im pretty busy, but im doing a little bit every day

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 09-03-2006, 02:26 PM

I'll definitely join you. I feel like I can get a lot accomplished by then. I have a lot of family flying a long way to spend this Christmas with us, and then early next year we are moving so I need to do this one way or the other.

I started yesterday filling a big box of outgrown/ not used toys in the playroom.

This thread will be great because I have such a long way to go!

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:34 PM

I would love to join in, the timeline seems doable. Thanks! My first step will be to get the four black plastic yard bags full of clothes to the thrift store! I am also a bit inspired by the PTouch labler I was given....it makes me seem a little organized and helps give a just right place for things.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:27 PM

me! I am in! decluttering like crazy
Old 09-03-2006, 05:43 PM

I'm definitely in! I just took a bag full of things to Goodwill on Friday and dropped off a second one this morning. Feels great to be rid of that much junk!
I still have a long ways to go.. I need to gather things up to take them to the consignment store and I know I have a lot more that should go to Goodwill. I would love to have everything finished by Christmas! A beautiful decluttered home for the holidays would be so nice

We are planning to sell our home late winter or early spring, so this will help a lot!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 09-03-2006, 06:23 PM

i feel like we have way too much stuf in such a small space. my goal is to cut it down by half : im not sure if its realistic since i really like nice stuff.. but we will see.. no closet picture added.. way to embarrasing

http://www.picturetrail.com/decluttering

Quote:

Old 09-04-2006, 03:47 AM

mamafern, i love your house! so beautiful
Old 09-04-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman
How do you sister-mommas get rid of clothes? I tend to keep too many. I know, I know, throw out all the clothes you haven't worn in the past year... But WHEN do you make time to go through all of them? Any advice? Why am I so bad at this?
That's hard for me to answer mainly because I was preggo with DD and then I dropped to below my original pre preg weight after she came, fluctuated a bunch, and now I'm preggo again.

But I too would love to know when the time comes to just toss it.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
Old 09-04-2006, 12:18 PM

I did my kitchen cupboards yesterday, not all of them, but the worst ones. One bag of trash, two bags of assorted glassware to be donated, and one bag of recycling. And now my cupboards are organized!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 09-05-2006, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Alright! I just went through ds's stuffed animals. I didn't get rid of many (I didn't expect it to be so tough!), but a couple big ones so they all fit in one bin now. I also went through his next season's clothes and got rid of a few things that I knew I would never put on him (My stepmom buys the *ugliest* clothes for him - I'm talking worn, zebra print parachute pants, ok?). I'm also gradually going through my books again - each time I go through them, I get a little more realistic about what I will actually ever read again.

Next I conquer DVDs (may have to discuss with hubby a bit on those...).

- Kari

User Tag List