Can we talk about LAUNDRY? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 08-23-2006, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webjefita
Wow, am I the only one who likes having a "wash day"? I find it easier and even comforting to have those kind of weekly routines... I know what has to be done and don't really have to worry about "when will I get that done?"
That's me too! I have to go to the laundry mat or plan on spending the whole day at my sister's doing laundry. If there are other things we want to do on laundry day, we'll go early on Sunday morning and be out in a couple of hours.

I have one basket and we just take our stuff off and throw in there. I generally do my DD's clothes separately from mine as she usually has enough for a huge washer if it's been a few weeks since we've been. She has enough clothes to last that long - at least for summer. We're far from ready for the season change. Anyway....I rewear pants and some shirts if they're still fresh smelling. Most of my clothes are Anne Taylor Loft or Talbots so I don't have a ton of clothes which is why I try to keep them out of the dirty daycare loads.

It's usually 2-3 weeks between wash days.

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :
#32 of 46 Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 PM

I bought one of those three compartment mesh hampers @ Target. The one on the left is whites, then colors in the middle and then darks. Everybody in the family (except 1 yr old) sorts their own as they take it off and brings it to my room and puts it in the right hamper. (our bedrooms are close together and close to bathroom.) Towels go in a laundry basket in my closet.

I do some (1-2 loads) laundry every day. I like that so much better. I put a load on after breakfast. We fold in the living room, which is right next to the dryer. I fold and put into piles, and the 4 and 7 year old put it away themselves. If it doesn't get folded during the day, DH helps in the evening, or it waits one more day.

I also do cloth diapers every other day in addition. I just designated Saturday to be sheets day, (so hubby can help remake beds ) Monday will be rugs and Friday will be towels.
#33 of 46 Old 09-09-2006, 10:54 PM

Here's my system for a family of six. Clothing has really, really been purged and we each have enough clothing to last about a week and a half. Kids do their own laundry at the age of 10, so my two oldest do their own. Not my problem.

For the other two, DH and me, we have laundry baskets in our bedrooms for dirty clothing. About every four days, I sort and stack 4 baskets next to my washer. Every morning I grab the first basket, dump it in the washer and go. After work, I switch to the dryer and when I'm putting the smaller kids to bed, I grab the dry clothing, fold and put away. do it again the next day.

I totally ignore the baskets in the bedroom until it's time to sort in four days. Then I just start it all over again. I'll throw the sheets in on a Sat. or Sun. evening and then put them in the linen closet.

Works for me. We never run out of clean clothing and since my loads are smaller it takes less time to get it put away.

gloria
#34 of 46 Old 09-10-2006, 09:39 AM

Ah, laundry. It is a thorn in my side. I hate doing laundry.

I try and do laundry on a given day. Now, I work nearly fulltime so this has proven to be difficult.

I bring the clothes to our master bathroom and seperate. I have laundry bags to put the clothes in as they wait their turn. I jsut rotate it all and get it done.

Typically, it takes all week. Why? I forget I put it in the washer and then rewash it cause it smells. Then I fold it, but I have no baskets. Why? Cause dh said I jsut stuck the clothes in there and never put them away, so he threw them out (we also had no space for them). I hate putting laundry away more then I hate actually doing the laundry. So, it ists on the bed till we go to sleep and then it gets set in the floor.

Ive realized that 2 little boys clothes that are eesentially the same size and for the mostpart matching (my mom makes their clothes so she uses the same fabric for both boys and lets face it, there arne't a lot of options for boys clothes) is a PAIN! I have no idea whose is whose unless I look at the initial in the waist band and that takes too much time. I want a job I can do quick

I've started enlisting dh's help in putting it away but still...he is useless.

I HATE LAUNDRY!!!!!!!!

I actually have some sitting in the washer and dryer right now from yesterday....

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#35 of 46 Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjefita
Wow, am I the only one who likes having a "wash day"? I find it easier and even comforting to have those kind of weekly routines....
My mom has always had a laundry day. Thursday. It was liek that my entire life. I found it very comforting. She had days that she set aside for everything though. On Wednesdays is when she scrubbed the bathrooms. She vaccumed main living areas everyday but bedrooms and hallways on tuesday.

Our family felt "off" if she switched it around.

She jsut recently started college and now has had to move laundry day My dad doesn't know what to do with himself!

#36 of 46 Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 AM

I do 98% of the laundry here, anytime throughout the day, at least 2 loads a day-usually more though. All bedrooms are upstairs, but the younger kids ages 18 months, almost 5 and 7 have their clothes downstairs in the toy room/baby area. So there cloths are mostly down here except an occasional sock or shirt...the girl who is 11 always changes/showers in the tiny bathroom, very seldom dirty clothes in her room. The oldest almost 13 is the pig of the house, his clothes are everywhere, once a week everyone is told my laundry room is empty and I know better, that is their hint to hunt, dig and bring them out for me to wash. If they complain as hubby and oldest son usually do , I just say well I do not wear them boys! I have it pretty good though with a laundry room and table, clothes line above me. I hang the kids clothes and older ones take care of own, i do cloth diapers and wipes so I take care of everything for myself, hubby, and 3 little ones. average laundry including bedding is 10+ loads a week---anyone want the job?????LOL I like laundry mostly I hate dishes...Kids do help out alot with other housework so I guess I cannot complain too much.
#37 of 46 Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 AM

Ok, so the new Bosch has altered our laundry habbits a bit...the kids 9 and 5 do their own!!! It is a front loader so everyone can reach and push the buttons. I usually supervise the 5 year old at his request...but we still do sheets and towels on Mondays. Wed is typically Zac's day and Friday is typically Luke's day, but with both playing soccer they either do it more often or throw in their uniforms with the other's wash. They've gotten quite cooperative about the whole thing. zac puts his stuff in the dryer, but I said I'd cont to fold them up..he said he could handle that at 10 (that's in DEC!!! YIPPEE!!!). They b oth enjoy helping me hang out the clothes, so that is no problem, usually more help than I need on that one.!!!

So for any of you considering the front loaders....there are more benefits than less water and lower electric bills...the kids love them!!! And can reach!!! And it's a bit easier to put in the additives because each thing has it's own spot...so now the 5 year old can read "detergent" "softener" and "Bleach"....he even understands that we use "vinegar" for "softener"

Sus
#38 of 46 Old 09-10-2006, 11:39 AM

I do laundry every day - it might be clothes, bedding, or diapers. I find that, for me, the issue is not getting the laundry washed and dried - but getting it folded and put away. By doing laundry every day, this doesn't get out of hand. Plus, this aids in having minimal clothes - because everyone wears their favorites, anyway.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#39 of 46 Old 09-10-2006, 12:49 PM

I cna't imagine my kids doing there own laundry. I didn't do my own laundry till I was in college! (even now if we are at my parents or long she'll do our laundry )

#40 of 46 Old 09-10-2006, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are currently using the "DH only has one pair of pants" method. That means, his pants need washing every day, so we throw them in along with anything else that can be washed on cold (usually all our clothes from that day, along with a towel or something). Whites get done along with DD's training pants on hot, every 3-4 days as needed. Sometimes lighter colors will accumulate from DH preferring to wash other darks with his black pants, and when enough of those accumulate, we have another cold load. This most commonly happens when I am almost out of clean camisoles.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#41 of 46 Old 09-11-2006, 12:53 AM

We do 1-2 loads a day, 3 at most. I have a small combination washer dryer (dries in the same machine). No moving clothes into another drum.

It's a great machine, but I have a portable hookup, which means I can't wash clothes and dishes at the same time. I'll get the dishes under control first, do a load or 2, (2 on the weekend). Then go back and wash a few more dishes.

I don't trust DH with laundry, so I'll usually get it started for him, and give him instructions. I do this in the morning before I leave for work. He'll dry everything, and it REALLY bugs me, and he has ruined my clothes over the years. . . .shrunk wook sweaters, other sweaters, delicate blouses, undies, sports tops, etc. To be fair though, he has gotten a LOT better about hanging up my things to dry.

I don't sort before laundry, because again, I don't trust DH to sort properly. We put it all on the bedroom floor, and I'll sort when I am getting ready to do a load. Sometimes I'll sort the second, while the first is washing.

I hang up a lot of stuff to dry, but I will dry some stuff, in the washer/dryer. DH likes his undies dried (I don't). Don't dry DDs, either. We have a lot more clothes than we would if we'd had a washer all along, but I am passively downsizing as we wear things out. I've got a TON of underwear, but I don't really want that to change, I change undies twice a day. And I like the security of knowing that I've got plently.

I live in a cold, and sometimes humid climate, so I keep a close eye on things drying to prevent mold, and will even dry things on low, if it means no mold. Heat comes up good and strong during the winter, so hanging to dry is not a problem when it is cold. I also will turn on a fan now, to make sure things dry without molding.

Towels usually dry just fine in the bathroom, and can be reused. DH and I both have our own towel(s). We both share our towel(s) with DD. Sheets I change 1X a week now, but waited 2 weeks or more when we used the laundromat. I also have comforter covers now, so I just wash the covers, not the comforter, 1X a month, or as needed. DDs sheets get changed about 1X every 2 weeks.

I really love doing laundry now that I don't have to walk half a mile in each direction, spend half a day and $30 dollars a week.
#42 of 46 Old 09-12-2006, 05:05 PM

I confess I love laundry! It is like the one household chore I enjoy......I can't wait untill my washer and dryer die so I can get nice front loaders adn untill we renovate someday so I can have a better system.

I try to do one load a day, sometimes more, I put it in the wash in the morning, and i line dry in summer. I am also going to experiment with line drying this winter but we'll see how well that works. I have no space indoors for line drying wich sucks but our basement is just to gross.

I wash/dry and then fold on a buffet in the dining room that is reserved for laundry. This is where my system falls apart as I don't put it away, all the dressers are in our bedroom and there is always someone napping in there: I am hoping htis will change when we rearange the bedrooms next year.

I do cloth dipes once every 2-3 days and linen usually once a week, and alternate cloths in between. I don't sort by colour but by adult/kids as I like to do the kids on hot and give them preference for line drying/sunning. There is a lot more laundry in the winter when we all where long cloths and sweater everyday, and as the kids get bigger..........
#43 of 46 Old 09-12-2006, 05:44 PM

I love washing and drying but when it comes to putting it away forget it.

I super sort my colors before washing. I do a load when I have enough of a color.

I do a load or more a day. We have a large capacity washer though I have my eye on a GE profile harmony
#44 of 46 Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 PM

my new friends in our new house:
laundry room on the main floor (not basement)
3 sorter laundry hamper thingy - i sort immediately into darks/colors, lights and linens/towels.

i probably do a load every two days. when it's not threatening to rain, our super capacity washer load (probably equals two regular loads) goes out on the line. otherwise i have to put half a load in the dryer at a time. i prefer the line!
#45 of 46 Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 PM

Laundry is the bane of our existence. We do a lot of laundry. We fold it. BUT WE HATE putting it away. That said, we do at least 1 load/day. Our washer/dryer is in the basement and we also have a play area down there for the kids. I can be doing laundry while they're playing, which is a good thing, but it's still not enough motivation to get me more organized about the laundry. I keep thinking I should make the laundry area pretty-more appealing and then I'd want to do it more. Hmmmm?
#46 of 46 Old 09-13-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a
I love washing and drying but when it comes to putting it away forget it.

I super sort my colors before washing. I do a load when I have enough of a color.

I do a load or more a day.
Wow this sounds like me and my system in a nutshell.

I'm all about wash. Wash. Wash. Dry. Dry. Dry. But fold? ICKY! Put away? ICKIER! Poor DH often gets stuck with that job.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page