What kind of boxes do you store kids' clothes in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even though we have tried to get rid of a lot of outgrown clothes, we still have quite a few boxes of things we need to keep until we are done having children (we keep gender-neutral PJ's, winter coats, pre-walker shoes that show very little wear, clothes homemade by my Mom and me, etc). Plus there's boxes with clothes I have bought ahead for next season, plus a box of clothes from last season that I have to hang onto in case some of them still fit the following year. I am using those clear Sterilite boxes. I know it's been mentioned before, about clothes starting to yellow after being stored for a while. I've had this happen before, to some of dd's newborn clothes (which is what prompted me to start giving away stuff rather than keeping it). So far the rest of the stuff is okay, but I was wondering if even cardboard would be better since it's not airtight. Or does that just introduce other problems?

I can't really afford expensive storage solutions but was wondering if there's an alternative to what I'm doing that might help the clothes last longer.
#2 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Cardboard boxes are worse for discoloring, because they are not acid-free. I have had a lot of stains re-appear on clothes that were invisable when the clothes were clean and packed away. The best would be something cloth I think. Cloth can't ruin cloth can it? Plastic can get expensive (and it's...well, plastic!) and cardboard really isn't the best for long term.
#3 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

If I could afford it each closet shelf would be filled with cloth-lined baskets to hold the different sizes of clothes that we are storing. I think that would be cute. For some reason, even though they are uniform, all those sterilite boxes bother me. I think it's because they are clear and you can see all the different colors through them. Maybe I should cover the outsides with cute wrapping paper or something like that...

Dh thinks that instead of obsessing over organizing I should be cleaning the mold out of our bathroom sink. That's on the list for tomorrow...
#4 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 10:59 PM

I couldn't afford Sterilite boxes when I started boxing kids clothes, so I use cardboard produce boxes from the grocery store. That the apples and lemons come in. I put the clothes in plastic bags, then the bags in the boxes. I've had a few stains, but not many. And DD's clothes have been in storage for 4 years now.
#5 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 PM

I use the big green/blue sterlite storage totes. I have had stuff discolor though. But, I will only store in plastic since, some are in the garage and some in attic crawl space. Both prime spots for mice, I don't want them chewing thru cardboard.

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

#6 of 8 Old 08-25-2006, 11:27 PM

I have big rubbermaid tubs (the ones that go on sale all the time at Target).

I line the inside w/newsprint, put in all the clothes, put a sheet of newsprint on top, put a dryer sheet in there, close it up and label it. I know that plastic isn't the best, but we've been known to get water in the basement where we store things and I'd rather not dig through moldy clothes & falling apart boxes because I didn't realize that the basement had leaked at some point.

All good clothes (suits, dresses, skirts, childrens dress clothes) are hanging in a canvas "wardrobe". There are 2 dryer sheets lying at the bottom of that just because I really like the smell of dryer sheets.:
#7 of 8 Old 08-26-2006, 12:10 AM

I use plastic sterlite boxes, because I don't want any little bugs getting in.
#8 of 8 Old 08-26-2006, 09:37 AM

Ours are in Sterilite/Rubbermaid clear boxes in our attic. I like that I can stack them nicely and see through them. I wrote the size/contents of each one on a piece of paper and placed it inside so that you can see the writing through the side of the box.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page