How did you/would you get ready to sell your house?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-26-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh and I want to move. Now is a good time. We want to have another baby, ttc next spring, so we want to move before that.
We have lots of stuff (crap). I know we'll get a better price for our house if there's not so much stuff. Up to $10,000 more. It's a tough market out there so we need to be competitive.

Should we rent a pod? How much are they? Are storage spaces cheaper? Should I just try to shovel stuff in boxes and sort through it all at our new house when we have more time? Should I take the time to go through it now (could take a long time). I'd love suggestions/thoughts etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it depends. When you say you want to move "now" do you mean you literally want to put the house on the market this week? In that case, maybe just putting it all in storage or boxing it up to go through later is the best idea.

If you mean to give yourself even a few weeks or a month, I'd strongly suggest getting rid of the stuff you don't want (or at least as much as you can before storing the rest). SO many people (my dh included) say that moving is such a great way to de-clutter your home! If you just pack it all up and move it with you then it doesn't work so well

If you have any time at all, I'd say read some of the decluttering threads on here, get inspired, and get to it VVA and Goodwill will pick up at your door in some areas (my blog has links if you're interested). Also, freecycle though that's not nearly as fast. A Salvation Army in your area maybe?

Good luck
#3 of 12 Old 08-26-2006, 03:51 PM

I would suggest doing both. As in throw out and box up. Once in your new home you then can decide if an item will work in your new home or maybe you just don't want it or whatever.

Such a daunting task.

Dh and I are considering moving 800 miles away. I have no clue how to move that far As in can you move your full freezer and plug it in at a motel at night

I have much decluttering to do also. We have a large shed that going to cause me the most work. I am a very sentential person so some stuff simply cannot be thrown out or gotten rid of.
#4 of 12 Old 08-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

my husband and i are planning to move in about 3-6 months. it's across country, so our move will be rather 'tricky' compared to a local one.

nevertheless, we started in april. we started by going through and getting rid of all of our clutter. Literally, it was a huge, room-by-room purge. we would start in one room and spend one weekend purging that room. Then, we would spend the next weekend cleaning that room thoroughly, reorganizing the furniture (unless the furniture was perfectly spaced/placed), and then giving 'homes' to everything that we decided to keep.

since we only worked on this one weekends--and maintained cleanliness through daily ritual--it took us until june to finish.

we then had new floors put in and new paint. We saved for this for the last 2 years. this allowed us to get the flooring that we wanted to 'live with' and we should be able to get a better price on the house because of it (according to our agent--even though it's not currently on the market).

we are now in the process of considering a 'repurge' of our house. We want to spend just a bit of time (should take one-two weekends) to go through and reorganize our closets (even though they were organized in june, when the floors and walls were done, things went a bit haywire, then things went haywire in another way so things just got put there).

so, we hope to do that.

on top of this, i'm going through the house room-by-room and looking at all the little things that need to be done such as window washing, touch up on the paint (in areas that didn't get painted recently), loose door knobs--any little thing really.

i have two lists, actually, the 'deep clean' list and the 'handyman' list. for the first list, my mother is coming while my DH is out of town and we're going to scrub the floors in the kitchen, baths, and laundry room, and then wash the laminate (new) floors. we're going to dust, scrub, and sparkle the different surfaces and wash the windows. my mother is such a fanatic that we'll likely wash the light bulbs. LOL

we'll have my husband's father come and help us with basic 'handiman' stuff. I need to paste down the edges of some wall paper (in the bathroom) and repair the ceiling in there (don't ask). i tightened the banister, but it will need another go, i think. we also need to tighten the toilet paper and towel rack in the bedroom. we need to replace light bulbs in the two-story stairwell--we have no ladder and no place to store one if we did. two of the closet doors need to be 'rehung' (they're on roller tracks and fall off regularly).

i think we're going to deep clean on the second weekend of sept when my husband is away for 5 days; and then the following weekend, his dad will come up and they'll do those chores while i'm away for the weekend.

not bad.
#5 of 12 Old 08-27-2006, 07:07 PM

It depends on how much of a rush you are in. We moved 500 miles a little over a year ago.

We started by purging, giving furniture back to family that they had given us (my MIL loves to pass things along to us, which is fine, but not when it clutters up our house!), etc.

Pack up things right away that you won't need for a while. If you have winter where you live, maybe start packing up your summer clothes, or paring them down, for example. Pack up things you only use a few times a year, or could do without.

In terms of moving/purging, realize that moving is one of the few times in your life where you will touch everything you own at least once or twice, kwim? So take advantage and purge now, unless you are in a tremendous hurry to sell ASAP. Purge when you unpack as well...you can always get rid of more.

We started boxing things up waaaay in advance, and it was still tough. We did a sticker system. All things that were long term storage (could me moved immediately to attic, etc. in new house) were boxed as early as possible and given round stickers on all sides of the box that were red (can buy these at Staples, etc.). Red became "low priority" to unpack, or didn't have to be unpacked at all (baby items at the time, since we weren't yet expecting #2, seasonal decorations, etc.). We gave some things "yellow" dots which were for items that didn't need to be unpacked immediately upon arriving in our new home, but would be unpacked within a month or so (a lot of DS's books since he has tons and tons, craft supplies, etc.). Green dots were given to boxes filled with things that needed to be unpacked ASAP when we arrived. LABEL, LABEL, LABEL everything, on all sides of the box. Seriously. Specifics whenever possible. Some people even do a box inventory where they keep a notebook with a running list of what is in each box, and number all of the boxes. That way if you really need something when you arrive, you'll know where it is. Some people take pictures of certain valuables, etc. as they box them so that if something should happen in transit, you'll have it for insurance purposes. www.organizedhome.com has some great moving tips IMO.

We pared down rooms, etc. as much as possible when showing our house, and I think it really, really helped the house show well. It was also way easier to keep up with cleaning and last minute showings that way. We even did things like buy extra burner covers, etc. so we could just swap them out before a showing and the kitchen would look extra clean. We bought new shower curtains and pretty towels for both bathrooms, which also really spruced things up and they can be taken with you at least. We bought new throw pillows for our master bed. Small purchases, and I think we spent under $100 but those things can help "stage" your house a little more nicely for the price. Oh, and I really pared down our walk in closet and hung clothes organized by type and color. Way more anal than I normamlly have time for, but it made a big difference in appearance, IMO. If you minimize how many extras are in your linen closets, etc. it makes them look more spacious. If it looks like they are bursting at the seams, buyers wonder if there's enough storage space, kwim?

When it is time for the actual move, keep a box of necessities for each of you, or a big box plus a few suitcases that you keep with you in your own car. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair brush, medications, a few rolls of toilet paper and paper towels, a bucket of cleaning products, 2 changes of clothes for each family member, pet food and bowls, some bathroom towels, etc. That way you'll have the necessities available immediately. You can throw everyone's in together or do a kit for each family member.

Good luck

ETA: we looked into PODS, but at least when/where we were looking, the rental price was quite expensive IMO. It might be worth it if you really don't have storage space, but we just moved as much as we could to our crawl space and basement in our old house, or got rid of things. I wouldn't want to have to pay the PODS rental fee in case my house didn't sell quickly. Just be sure to price out other storage space options if you can, to compare. There may be something cheaper, or you may decide the price of the PODS is worthwhile.
#6 of 12 Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Banned

for the sale of our house, a friend of ours is willing to allow us to use their basement space to remove 'clutter.' while it's not 'clutter' per se, we're going to make our closets look empty so that they look larger. otherwise, we keep our rooms pretty clean/spare looking because that's our design look.

for us, the use of PODS is kinda specific. Before our move across country (from PA to CA), my husband will have a training for one month in NC. We want to sell and move out of the house before the training--if possible. So, we will require storage of ALL of our things.

on top of this, after that month training, we'll likely be in corporate housing for the first few months until we find a place of our own. this may be an aspect of our relocation agreement. So, we'd need storage of our entire household for this time too.

And when we finally find our own apartment or home, then i'll have PODS delivered to us.

the price of other storage is comparable, but you're more likely to 'loose' things with conventional trucks than with a 'sealed' pod. so, we find that helpful.

but it's definately worth looking into alternatives.
#7 of 12 Old 08-28-2006, 03:13 PM

Anyone else want to see pics of Zoebird's home?
#8 of 12 Old 08-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

the one i'm in now?

are you interested in buying?
#9 of 12 Old 08-29-2006, 01:51 PM

I mean because it sounds so nice and uncluttered.
Actually, if I was out of school and had a job offer in your part of PA, I'd love to look at your house, from what you've said it is in excellent condition--all due to your hard work.
#10 of 12 Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

thanks!

i'll post pics. it's still 'in transition' because we're constantly doing little things to it. but i can take a few pics and then post them (at least to photobucket or something) and you can see a few of the rooms and i'll 'esplain' why they're messy. LOL
#11 of 12 Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 PM

I think you have to consider why you are decluttering now -- if it is to make the house saleable, you dont have time to go through it. Rent a storage unit that's close and start getting anything extra, or even kind of extra, out of the house. A POD, if its in front of or behind the house, will just make it look like you dont have enough storage, so hide that stuff away. A realtor said to me once, "people expect to see garages full of stuff, but they dont expect to see Living Rooms, bedrooms, full of stuff, so get it out"...I guess that also means that you could always fill up the garage.

When we were getting ready to sell our place (Were going to list it, but ended up seeling it ourselves to friends of friends), I took about 3 weeks to get rid of all the extra stuff, patch nail holes, get the odd jobs like a cracked tile and paint touch ups done, got the place cleaned professionally, and to stage the house as if it looked like it was out of a magazine. We finished anything that was half finished (we are always working on something) and basically I just worked my ass off to get everything to look so good that I would want to buy the house. The result when I had realtors come through to give me list price evaluations, was a lot excitement at how easily and well the house would show...and, the first two couples who came to look at it before we even listed it (friends of friends who heard we were selling) made us an offer.

My rules:
- Take away as many personal photos, figurines, kids artwork, etc.. as you can out of each room. You want people to envision their own photos and stuff on your shelves and table tops.
- Take half your clothes and shoes out of each closet.
- Make sure the fridge is cleaned off and not covered with photos and stuff.
- Organize cabinets, closets and drawers and use baskets to hide odds and ends on shelves or in closets -- they look better.
- Take time, before you show the house, to get little odss and ends and paint touch ups done. The last thing you want is them distracted by gross marks on the wall or carpet stains and minor stuff like that.
- Keep happy, fresh flowers out when you show the house.
- Keep the house smelling good, especially if you have pets -- it needs to look and smell like there are no pets.

Good luck!

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#12 of 12 Old 08-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Banned

i'm having trouble with photobucket, but i'll do my best.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page