Help! drowning in plastic toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have huge quantities of plastic toy clutter. I'm not completely against plastic but we have SO much.

How did you work this out with your kids, so they weren't traumatized, but you reduced toy clutter?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 PM

I gave ds $1 a garbage bag to fill up and donate! He made 6 bucks!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlemom
How did you work this out with your kids, so they weren't traumatized, but you reduced toy clutter?
I've been packing away things ds doesn't seem to use. After a good while, to be sure he doesn't ask for something, I donate them. It's tricky and I try to be sensitive to his need to save things. If he doesn't seem happy with a toy (difficult to work, poor design, etc), I suggest we donate it to the thrift store and he sometimes agrees.

I try to not accumulate toys in the first place by not having big birthday parties and trying to avoid extravagant holidays. We still have a lot, but they are mostly things I've gotten which are nice toys or things ds selected at the thrift store. His thrift store toys tend to end up back in the donate bag when he losses interest or thrown out when they break.

You can also just rotate toys so there are less things around but you don't get rid of anything. Kids frequently play better when they are less overwhelmed by quantity and they enjoy the variety of having toys rotated. It makes old toys seem new again.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 08-31-2006, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

these are excellent ideas--thank you both!

any other suggestions out there? (I need all the ideas I can get! )

TIA
Old 08-31-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Another excellent idea!!! any more out there? (greedy for ideas, aren't I )
Old 09-01-2006, 12:02 AM

I just slowly packed them away for our garage sale but my little guy is only 2 so he didn't really notice to much
Old 09-01-2006, 12:57 AM

I need some ideas as well!!! We have way to many toys as well, just toys in generall i'm already dreading christmas that is going to be here before i know it!!!! I'll get to declutting the toys soon, but for now i'm on the rest of the house, kids rooms for last!! LOL
Old 09-01-2006, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

we're having a yard sale tomorrow, though I'm horribly behind in clearing out stuff! The weather's been so good and I haven't wanted to be sticking my heads in closets...however the rest of the nice days of the fall are coming and how much better I'll feel with some of the clutter unloaded!

so far I've done a triage on most of the toys with kids participating. Since almost everything is shared between the 5 & 3 yo, it's hard to let go of most stuff. But there is a small box culled out at this point. (why do we need 147 little cars??)

I might try the $1 a bag when my younger one is a little older. The wooden toy replacement plan is soooooo good, too.

I think my mantra, like Thoreau's "simplify", needs to be...."Rotate, Rotate."

any more ideas?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My other idea is to not give other people's kids gifts . Seriously, my SILs used to send ds birthday presents and have stopped since I don't reciprocate. It can be tricky to not offend, but I'm sure that they are somewhat relieved as well. I do pick up the occasional item for my nieces and nephews, because I DO love them, but I try to keep it small and not for actual occasions. A card or a little handmade something or time spent together shows you care w/o making others feel that they need to buy a big gift for your dc.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 09-01-2006, 10:05 PM

my sis has this problem and told everyone that they would like only home-made gifts this year. Will be interesting to see what they get!!

User Tag List