Simplicity AHA Moment (xpost personal growth) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't post in here often, but I love reading all about your journeys towards simplicity as we've recently been working on our own goals to reduce the "stuff" that takes up too much physical and emotional space in our lives.

Last night we discovered that someone broke into our house while we were out camping and, among other things, my treasured engagement and wedding rings were stolen. It feels so violating to have your home invaded like that and of course, there are so many what if type things that swirl through our heads ( like what if we had not gone, come home sooner, hid the rings somewhere, etc).

Overall, this has really been an "Aha" type of turning point moment for me to focus on the fact that things don't matter. They just don't. And for me to put so much focus on stuff that can so easily disappear is just silly.

This whole thing got me wondering if anyone else ever had a turning point like this - hopefully less tragic - but something that happened that kind of clicked in your head that simplified your priorities and goals. I'd love to hear your stories and ideas.

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#2 of 2 Old 08-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did have an moment similar to yours. It was not wedding rings (and by the way, I am so sorry you lost your wedding rings, that would be really hard for me). A couple of months ago, we accidentally left the window open in our car overnight. We live in North Dakota and this would usually not be a big deal, but on this particular night, someone decided to take advantage of that and stole a DVD player from our car.

I felt the same way you feel (invaded, I guess is a good word). To know that some one was in the car and had taken apart the seat to get the DVD player off really bothered me. I had to come to the conclusion that it really is only stuff. I have since simplified a lot.

Anyway, it is nothing like your rings, but it sort of made me realize similar things. It is like my mom always says, "You can't take it with you when you die anyway." I guess she is right. Definitely doesn't make it easier though.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page