Space Saving ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-31-2006, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are some space saving ideas that some of you have found useful?
Just this evening,I opened up a box of frozen chicken,labled it with cooking instructions,put it in the freezer bag and saved a bunch of room in my freezer ( btw I have one of those side by sides which I thought was cool when I got it,but miss the freezer on top,yet dream about a freezer on the bottom) ok off my rant.

So what are some great space saving tips you have?

Chani
#2 of 3 Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM

Look for double duty pieces--ottoman that has storage inside, Under cabinet appliances, decorative baskets with lids for toys or magazines to keep public areas neat. I don't know if this is space saving or not, but I swear by wall lamps. They keep nightstands & table tops free & therefore not liable to be knocked over & broken by children or cats.

Can you use the upper reaches? I have a lot of decorative tins collected over the years? Dh made a long shelf a few inches below the ceiling, right above the curtain rod in one room & they're all up there now, cheerful to look at but not in the way. In the same room I used antique aprons collected from thrift shops with clip-on rings as curtains.

Oh, I almost forgot. We rent, so I have a number of inexpensive devices that go over the tops of doors with no hardware involved to store things on. One has 12 hooks & is over the back door for jackets & hats, another on the pantry holds aprons I use, in second bedroom there is one with off season clothes on it. You can also buy a variety of coated wire baskets you hang on a pantry or cupboard shelf to increase your space available. Those are great.
#3 of 3 Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 AM

We are trying to declutter...here are some things in place that are really working:

radiator covers --they double as bookshelves
toy rotation from attic every 3 months (rubbermaid tubs)

...this is my favorite:

Several years ago we bought a table called a "pub table" from Bassett. I wish I could find a picture. It is a tall table, with two flip-up sides, and 2 stools that can be stored underneath. Right now it is in the corner of our livingroom. It is great for extra dinner guests, but houses my dd's dollhouse while unused.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page