October Declutter 500 items Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 268 Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkypoet View Post
But you're still ahead. October hasn't even started yet!
oh yeah, I feel better now!
#62 of 268 Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 PM

I'm in as long as I can count what I get rid of tommarrow towards October's stuff!

There's things that I just won't be needing now for a long long while and they need to find better homes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll keep my tally here: 263

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#63 of 268 Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 PM

count me in
#64 of 268 Old 09-30-2006, 12:08 PM

I never realized how much it helps to count stuff! It makes it seem like so much MORE
As of now 145
that was mostly children's clothes
my clothes
books
and odd and ends
I'm happy!!!!!!!

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#65 of 268 Old 09-30-2006, 02:37 PM

I am sooooo totally in. Seriously, I've got to get control of our home. With raising seven kids, we've got soooooo much clutter and junk. We've had one yard sale in 12 years, and haven't really gotten rid of much other than baby and toddler stuff since then. So, you can imagine.
My dh has really reached his limit with me and the kids and the way the house looks and I have also.
I have Fall break from classes & clinicals (in nursing school) in Oct, so the timing is perfect.

I suffer greatly from having such good intentions and plans and then not following through and/or only halfway completing whatever it is I was supposed to be doing.....

I need LOTS of motivation, I am the procrastinator queen, for sure.
#66 of 268 Old 09-30-2006, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am IN!
Do I get to count every item of clothing in my big brothers bag? I'm off to a good start if I can I'll keep a total going here, but only after it actually leaves the house.

Okay I got rid of a bunch of recycling finally, but I dont want to count every item so I will give myself 10 points. I took lots of pictures to sell things on craigslist, just waiting for the pics to be emailed to me

total: 10

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#67 of 268 Old 09-30-2006, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see so many on board! Looks like we are off to a good start and its not even Oct yet!

I am at 51 so 449 more to go but if I find more, great.

I started in the bathroom. Went thru the med cabinet and under the sink and drawers. Threw out old makeup etc and old meds. Plus some shampoo we didnt like so it sat for months. Then went thru my dresser and got a bag going for clothing. I also went thru my nursing stuff and I am posting them on the tp for sale.

I have a huge pile to shred- I will count that as one when I do it!

I need to go thru the baby toys and take out what we wont use and pass that on.

Also we might put a bid on a house a few blocks away from us so this is a great time to declutter.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#68 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 01:20 AM

So I am a dork- broke it down 15.6 things a day....
I got rid of 33 today--- lovin' this inspiration.
And.. taking it a step further if new stuff comes in I get rid of another thing- like got a new pan got rid of the equivalent one in my collection (it was non-stick trying to stay away from teflon) but don't get to count it
Looking forward to getting rid of more stuff tomorrow...
#69 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 01:33 AM

Ooh, I am totally in! I have TONS of stuff that is still stored from the hurricane evac. :

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#70 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 02:10 AM

Checking in to add 10 magazines to donate to library and 12 junk magazines to trash so added to my previous total of 42 items that makes my

GRAND TOTAL: 64 items
#71 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 03:07 AM

6 socks that have holes in them and/or have mates that have been missing for well over a year.

1 truck whose wheels broke off
1 plastic easter egg half

starting small...

Tally = 8

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#72 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was going to take pictures of my cluttered areas (all 934, 228 of them ) and post them, asking "How do I fix this". I think you just saved me a lot of work! I am down man!

Now someone just hold me to it

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#73 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 03:44 AM

Oh I am SO in. I just know I'll get carried away counting my items.

Honestly, I could probably do most of it just in clothes. Part of the problem is that we received sooooo many hand-me-downs for dd from friends, and some from people I don't even know! : There was so much of it that we never even used because it was way too pink and frilly or had characters all over it, so it's just been sitting around this whole time. I've started sorting them and bagging them already. Maybe I could make my own rule that clothes don't count, so I can get motivated to work on the crazy amounts of other crap I have.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#74 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 08:53 AM

Oh, wow! A lot of you mamas are already going strong! I haven't started yet. I guess today is the day. (I haven't actually gone to bed yet so it will have to start later, I think.)

Does DH fixing the pipe fitting that broke this evening count for one?

I have actually been clearing out a lot of crap in September but I hadn't been countiing it. Of course, my parents are coming to visit next weekend from out of state, so I guess that will be a huge push of motivation for this week!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#75 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 AM

I'll give it a try! I don't know if I can get rid of 500 things, but I'll try. So far, I've let go of 82 things. That included clothes, dishes, magazines, books and a stuffed teddy bear. Some stuff was passed onto my sisters, some recycled. I see a difference already!
#76 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 11:39 AM

This has been such a good challenge already-I will feel much better when the movers come and everything is decluttered and organized! While I'm not sure if I have 500 items, I'll be happy to get half of that!

So far, we've decluttered 66 items. This included: old desk chair (I'm using a folding chair instead until we find a new one), books, magazines, clothes, wine glasses, picture frames, figurines, etc.

All of these items will go to charity. (I am not a garage sale person-I'd rather just get it out!) I'm not including all the TRASH we threw out-our very large trash can is FULL for pick up tomorrow. I went through the refrigerator and threw out expired stuff or stuff we bought to try and hate. I felt wasteful, but it's a good reminder to be diligent about using what we have.

My husband-who hates decluttering-even joined in. His closet REALLY needed decluttering, so I took everything out of it and threw it on the bed. I left all the hanging clothes in the closet and organized them in two sections: uniforms (he's military) and civilian clothes. It took him only a minute to sort the hanging stuff-it was pretty much decluttered anyways. The stuff on the bed he did in about ten minutes. Everything that was charity went on the floor, everything that he didn't use but will someday (certain uniforms mostly) got put in a Rubbermaid, everything to keep stayed on the bed. He left and I finished folding and putting things away. It worked GREAT!

This week, I'd like to work on the bathrooms, my clothes, and the kitchen. We'll see what I can come up with! Keep the threads coming-it's great inspiration!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#77 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 11:55 AM

Subbing... I am gonna combine this challenge with the decluttering my wardrobe task and make it easy! (Do socks count as one or two items?)
#78 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 11:59 AM

my DH will LOVE MDC after this!! I can't believe I was lucky enough to catch it on the first day-so I am not behind of I go to get started.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#79 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I dropped off 5 trash bags full of stuff at the thrift store yesterday, mostly coats and toys. I have a beautifully clean and organized closet but my living room is a pit since there are piles of stuff that no longer belong in the closet. The closet is nice and big, with a light and a stool, so I can just go in there and avoid the mess .

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#80 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 12:31 PM

So glad I found this today as I am OCD about starting things one the first of the month, the first day of the week, the first thing in thr morning, etc.

I AM IN ON THIS ONE!!

I was doing great with decluttering and organizing but have gotten off track the past few weeks. Back on the wagon and looking forward to supporting and being supported here.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#81 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 12:48 PM

Wanted to add:

One of my dear girlfriends told me this IRT decluttering items. Throw it out/recycle it unless you love it, need it, or it makes you money. This has helped me so much that I wanted to share.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#82 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Fay

Just tossed 26 useless, occasionally disgusting, items from my cupboards & bathroom cabinets. I feel so happy!

I also packed a huge box for Thursday's charity pickup, and two bags to bring to the resale shop in the morning. I haven't even started sorting books and papers yet.

Running total: 51 items out of my house forever

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#83 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 04:42 PM

WOOT! I got my hubby to carry down 1 big box I filled up of stuff through out the house and 1/2 a bag of kids clothes that are too big but too beat up to really offer to a friend or someone. I'm gonna count the box as individual things since I had to put it all IN the box.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#84 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 05:01 PM

Wow! Everyone is doing so great, we've all got off to a really good start.

I convinced DSO to help me clean off the kitchen table last night, and we got rid of and packed away a lof ot junk. AND we have a table to eat off of again. Yay!

Only 440 things left to go!
#85 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 08:58 PM

You ladies have inspired me to start decluttering. I am disorganized and now that I am preggo again it will only get worse. My DH works overseas so he is no help. I have clothes lined up from the closet and more to go. I will tally how much and post later but I am definitely in the challenge. Keep me inspired ladies!

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#86 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 09:59 PM

Okay, I have some things to take to the children's resale shop tomorrow, some items to toss, a bag of dipes to return to a friend, and some other random things.

I will get a specific count in the a.m. I was just still so excited about this thread that I had to come back and post on it.

#87 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

My DH just held up an inch long disk for the Dig camera. Said it was clutter and tossed it. What a guy! I hope that is not his whole contribution.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#88 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 10:28 PM

I so want to be in. I think we are going to be moving again in the next month or so...I will see what I can find tonight
#89 of 268 Old 10-01-2006, 10:49 PM

I'm in too, I'm gonna go work on it right now.
#90 of 268 Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 AM

Thanks to the person who broke it down to 15.4 things a day. I wanted to do that, but was too lazy.

I got rid of 8 bags of kids' clothes today (gosh, I should have counted the individual items!) - stuff that was too small or hand-me-downs that I didn't like. (As a side note, I also was then able to organize the rest of the clothes -- so now I have a box of 3T winter and summer stuff).

PLUS 21 bags of frozen breast milk. It killed me to do it, but it was now 2 years old, and I can't donate it because I was on medication when it was pumped. Plus an ancient quiche (older than dd!) and a dried up jar of paint.

So, today's count 31 + 8 from yesterday = 39. I'm on track!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page