October Declutter 500 items Challenge - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 268 Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
also being picked this morning (more freecycle)
an umbrella stroller
a step aerobics step (bought this at a yard sale and thought I would buy some videos and use it. Ha! - it's been sitting in the garage. Going for a walk or to the gym is more my style)

31/500
#182 of 268 Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM

tossed 3 bags of trash, toys and newspapers dh had in there 'for when I get a chance to read them' out of my van and storage area. 8/500
#183 of 268 Old 10-09-2006, 04:21 PM

This weekend we got rid of:

19 maternity things
1 old pizza tray and a cup
15 boxes/bags of cans bottles ect to be returned
6 old college books

returned a glove and grocery bag

and I am also going to count the big stack of thank you/birth announcement cards I finally got sent off as an item

total is now 221
#184 of 268 Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 PM

I freecycled today:

a bag of condoms leftover from our pre-baby days (but not expired)
a painting that I never liked
all the jewel cases from my CDs (put them into binders)
a lamp
2 sewing boxes - I keep getting them as gifts and I don't sew.
#185 of 268 Old 10-09-2006, 05:12 PM

Tossed out a pile of items from my scrapbooking drawers. Have another pile ready to give away.

Two things I am having trouble figuring out how to declutter:

1. Old photo negatives. In twenty years of taking pictures I have never gone back to have pictures made from old negatives (aside from the month I first had them developed, when I ordered any copies I wanted). I have tons of old negatives. Should I toss them? Will I regret doing so?

2. Leftover portrait pictures. You know - you go to Olan Mills or Portrait People and have your child's picture made. For each pose you get an 8x10 and a zillion little pictures. They also sometimes throw in an 11x14. I've put the 8x10s into the scrapbook - the grandparents have been given all the portraits they need. Now I still have a bunch of wallet, 5x7, 11x14 pictures, some going back seven years. Should I keep some of them? How many? How can I bear to throw away professional pictures of my children! Help me!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#186 of 268 Old 10-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Teensy- Not sure on #2- I have the same problem! On #1, do you have someone who lives at a distance from you who might be willing to store your negatives (you could even offer to store theirs in return)? This way, if a disaster hits your home your negatives would be safe.
#187 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 01:06 AM

Maybe scan on computer save to disk? I just started tossing my negatives and feel okay I have them backed up. Now I use snapfish for my 35 mm pictures so they store them online incase something bad happens.

425/500 so close!!!
#188 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 07:39 AM

We're up to 83!
#189 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 AM

I'm not sure on our count, but I imagine we are actually pretty close to 500. My parents came to visit and helped us clean out a ton of stuff!!

DH and my dad took 2 huge loads to the dump. (About 20+ rotting boards leftover from our deck remodel. 2 awful couches full of allergens and broken frames. Broken fiberboard bookcase I carried with me from TN 10 years ago. Keepsake box of stuff from my childhood which had been partially eaten by rats in our garage. Not sure what else - it's to early in the a.m. to ask DH.)

We still have a fair amount of garage sale type items so maybe I'll look into freecycling or something since we're just now getting into the rainy season here. Not so good for garage sales.

We also have several computer components awaiting recycle and we have a bunch of paint cans, etc. left by the previous owners that need to go to Haz. Waste.

Mom and I cleared off the dining table (we can dine now!) which included I have no idea how many pieces of paper - several bags of recycling from junk mail. I'm going to call today and get off the list for the credit card companies solicitations. Yuck. We shred more stuff just due to that. Also, looking into paperless banking - I'm tired of paper statements. We always balance the books in Quicken/online anyway. I've already eliminated several other paper billing sources by switching to online billing.

Oh yeah. And at least three big hairballs. We have a long haired dog that sheds.

Hopefully DH and I can get through the clothes in the next week. DD has several things which don't fit. So do we. I already have a few bags of stuff to donate.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#190 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
Tossed out a pile of items from my scrapbooking drawers. Have another pile ready to give away.

Two things I am having trouble figuring out how to declutter:

1. Old photo negatives. In twenty years of taking pictures I have never gone back to have pictures made from old negatives (aside from the month I first had them developed, when I ordered any copies I wanted). I have tons of old negatives. Should I toss them? Will I regret doing so?

2. Leftover portrait pictures. You know - you go to Olan Mills or Portrait People and have your child's picture made. For each pose you get an 8x10 and a zillion little pictures. They also sometimes throw in an 11x14. I've put the 8x10s into the scrapbook - the grandparents have been given all the portraits they need. Now I still have a bunch of wallet, 5x7, 11x14 pictures, some going back seven years. Should I keep some of them? How many? How can I bear to throw away professional pictures of my children! Help me!
I have the same problem... can't get rid of pics etc... I got a tupperware container that is ust big enough to hold the biggest picture flat on the bottom and stored all the pics, negs, doubles etc in there and put it at the top of my closet. I also started to scan the pics that really are important and I never want to lose, burn them on CD and along with all of our computer backups and DH stores them at work.

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#191 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 AM

Recycled 14 old magazines/catalogs last night. I tend to hold onto those things forever.

45/500
#192 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
Items returned to store: 6
Items tossed: 9
Items freecycled: 11

Items purchased: 1 (a crockpot- I really needed it)

Total decluttered: 38 + 1 reclutter= 37
Pieces left: 463
up to 42/500

I have a question- I have an old carseat (like 14 years old!!) and I need to get rid of it. I don't want to put it out in the trash because I'm afraid someone will take it. It's really too old to be safe anymore. Any ideas on how to get rid of it safely?
#193 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

I would toss those old wallet photos left over from portraits. Save one and get rid of the rest.

I also tossed a bunch of negatives several months ago. This was of course AFTER I had made a scrapbook of old photos and realized I would not use the rest. I could always make a color copy of the pages if anyone wants the pics down the line.

As far as the carseat- find out if there is a carseat check offered near you. They inspect how your carseat is installed. They also take old car seats, accident ones etc to dispose of.

We keep finding stuff. I want to get rid of my stamping stuff. I dont sit down and do cards, I prefer scrapbooking. So I might put that up on freecycle.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#194 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 03:01 PM

So far I have freecycled 2 garbage bags of clothes, an old fish tank with accessories, a picnic set that i never used, 5 pairs of shoes, a pirate flag, 2 huge boxes of books, a bag of computer games, a toddler toilet seat, toddler plate set, and a huge bag of toys.

I have sold an n64 with all games and extras.

I threw away 2 VCR's and 2 huge bins of paper.

I think that is about 150 items.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#195 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Fay

Tossed or recycled 25 items.
Donated 21 items.

Running total:172/500

I also have about 75 items boxed up and ready to donate. I'm done with clothing, but I'll have to do another purge of my clothes after my baby is born and my body goes back to its old shape. I'm really anxious about all the papers I have to go through still. One box at a time...three weeks to go.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#196 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 04:43 PM

i've been on a roll this morning i think i got inspired by a trip to the antique store, seeing all the fun ways i really want to decorate my home, but knowing there's no way with all this clutter!

ok - so i went through my dds' room and cleaned out a HUUUGE laundry basket full of clothes and toys they'll never use. I may recycle the clothes into clothes for their dolls for christmas presents using a handmade pattern, or a quilt... but i'm not decided yet. either way - it feels good to have their room cleaned out and organized FINALLY!

next is our front bathroom... whew - lots of stuff in there that needs to GO!
#197 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 05:07 PM

I wasn't going to join because I am due with a baby in a week and I didn't think I'd have the time etc.

Well, it was easier than I thought!

I didn't count everything, but we got rid of two large plastic boxes full of clothing, another large box of shoes, a box full of toys, over a hundred cds, three bags full of books, untold papers-- school notes, old mail, and that kind of thing, two boxs full of kitchen items (pots and pans and cups etc), and there is still more to go . . .

Who knew there was so much to get rid of? Now I wish I had started counting! Too late now!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#198 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 05:47 PM

ok! whew! just finished up with the bathroom! i havent counted up the items to donate / sell yet (such as decorations/nail polish/ etc) but just for my throw-aways i'm at 25 i also scrubbed down the bathroom while i was in there so yay! hubby will be mighty proud when he gets home today
#199 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 PM

whoops -forgot to post my running total...

67 items from before...

+25 throw-aways from the bathroom

= 92 items so far (and i still need to add up the 2 laundry baskets full of give-aways!)

still need to do our master bedroom, our closet, our master bath, dd's closet, the kitchen, the living room, and our storage room.... i am SOOOO going to make it to 500!
#200 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 05:51 PM

and is anyone else finding all kinds of goodies they forgot they had?! i found tons of face creams and lotions - the milder ones without scents, etc, i'm giving to the kids for after-bath treats

i also found two bottles of essential oil - jasmine and eucalyptus! i cant wait to start using those again!
#201 of 268 Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 PM

55 + 2 pairs of pants listed on freecycle + one rug listed on freecycle=

Slowly but surely..

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#202 of 268 Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 AM

92 items (not counting the give-away's i sorted out and have yet to count from dd's room and the guest bath)

PLUS another 3 give-away's to my mom tonight woo!

brings me to 95
#203 of 268 Old 10-11-2006, 10:01 AM

some DVDs, books, and puzzle sent to a friend, a bag of clothes & 6 books freeccled...

...60/500

This is harder than I thought!
#204 of 268 Old 10-11-2006, 10:04 AM

I think I went WAY past that already!!!

I put 7 lawn bags full of the kids clothes to a consingment shop....I just got a check in the mail!

So right there if you count each item I'm probably at 300-400.

I also got rid of a La-Z-Boy chair, a dresser, and our couch and tv stand are next!

I also filled up TWO dumpsters with just 'stuff'

I am feeling REALLY good about it!
#205 of 268 Old 10-11-2006, 01:49 PM

Well, I'm starting late and don't have much to toss (I'm in a 650sq ft apt + a storage unit - mostly baby/kid stuff saving for next one).

Someone said this counts, so:

8 t-shirts recycled into cloth TP and dish rags

8/500

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#206 of 268 Old 10-11-2006, 03:26 PM

Cleaned out the closet for the new nursery...
#207 of 268 Old 10-11-2006, 03:34 PM

From 1 1/2 rooms, I am 175/500. It is probably a little more, but I'd rather undercount than overcount.

You guys are so inspiring!
#208 of 268 Old 10-11-2006, 03:41 PM

I am now up to:
164/500
That includes some of DH's ugliest old clothes, old books, scrap paper galore and some cookbooks we never use.

I've decided to tackle 1 area/piece of furniture at a time. Today was the microwave/phone corner. Have to take babysteps, otherwise it's too overwhelming to start.
#209 of 268 Old 10-11-2006, 05:21 PM
mtm

what a great thread. dh and I cleaned off the desk, 40 items tossed or rehomed. Its so nice to see desktop again.
#210 of 268 Old 10-12-2006, 06:56 AM

I have officially gotten rid of a girl guide t-shirt, girl guide leader binder, 6 glass canning jars, 18 rings and lids. This makes my total about 30 items. I have more to go just don't have the energy right now.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page