October Declutter 500 items Challenge - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 268 Old 10-20-2006, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am done... but still going strong. Have about 600 things now on my list. Thinking for November I want to try for 5 things away a day. I'm addicted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 268 Old 10-20-2006, 12:20 AM

#243 of 268 Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
Ok.. three more things listed on freecycle and one BIG one on CraigsList plus more misc. going to Goodwill.
New total: 55
The CraigsList item sold.. yay!
I also listed a bag of outgrown baby clothes, so that was another ten items, plus a bottle of Dreft stain remover that just didn't do the trick for us.

New total: 66

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#244 of 268 Old 10-21-2006, 12:16 AM

: Thank you thank you
I like to thank.....
#245 of 268 Old 10-21-2006, 03:24 AM

Tossed another 10 or so items
Returned 3 items
Sold 2 items
(2 items are pending so I won't count them yet)
23 items packed up and ready to ship for swaps

Oh, and when I was at the mall returning things I didn't buy anything and was grossed out by the whole experience- so much crap for sale. I guess right now I see everything as "future clutter".

New total 157
#246 of 268 Old 10-22-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GR8KIDS View Post
Oh, and when I was at the mall returning things I didn't buy anything and was grossed out by the whole experience- so much crap for sale. I guess right now I see everything as "future clutter".

New total 157

I have been starting to feel like this, too.. (It's taken me a while to get there )
There have been a few times lately where I will pick something up and them pause and think to myself, "Where will this be in six months?" and then more often than not, I realize that it will be clutter that we are kicking around.. and the item won't be really appreciated after all :

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#247 of 268 Old 10-22-2006, 06:46 PM

OK, 25 items from the kitchen at the begining of the month (which actually did make it to the drop off place!). Now: 30 items of baby clothing which brings the total to 55. Hmm, not doing so great, must get motivated!
#248 of 268 Old 10-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

I am in! It's a really late start...haha, so i'm not sure if i can make it...i already got rid of about 200 items in the past 2 days though! I'm well on my way
#249 of 268 Old 10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Fay

Tossed/recycled: 10 items
Donated: 120 items (mostly books!)
Sold: 23 items

I can't believe I sorted through all of my books. That was really emotional for me. I still have 5 boxes of papers and mementos that I'm dreading going through, and it seems like papers are multiplying all over the house every time I turn around. I also have to donate some furniture this week, maybe I'll try to schedule a pickup before the end of the month. I still have my nesting instinct, but my pregnancy-related exhaustion is overtaking the urge to purge! I sooooo want to reach 400 by the end of this week!

Running Total: 365/500

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#250 of 268 Old 10-24-2006, 11:40 AM

I'm joining!

This is late in the game, but I figure it's better to start now that to just wait until the November challenge.

I did really well in September and had VietNam Vets come and pick up 5 times that month. But since then I've really slacked off. I just scheduled a pickup for the 30th, and I have a pile of stuff all ready for Thursday's trash day.

I knew it was time to get back on the wagon when I found a "treasure" in my basement this weekend...

A dead bird.

There is no way it could have come in a window down there, so it's a real mystery as to how it got in. But the even bigger mystery is how long it's been there. :
#251 of 268 Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
72/500
A successful yardsale and great luck with ebay! I'm guessing how much got sold, freecycled, ebayed, and trashed but conservatively I'll guess about 250 items! It took me 2 weeks to sort, gather, then purge these items but what a difference!!! I even got my teenaged son to go throuh his stuff so he could make a few $ at the yard sale- He loved it once he saw he could make money while getting rid of some of his useless junk!

322/500
#252 of 268 Old 10-24-2006, 03:46 PM

I'm having a problem. I think it's form of procrastination manifested in this situation, but I thought I'd throw it out here:

Is anyone having a hard time trying to find the *perfect* time to declutter? It never seems to be the *right* time at my house. I want to get it done while ds is at school and dd is napping, but other things take my attention. Like exercise, the internet, chores...

I find that I am being a bit of a baby about decluttering the kids' stuff. I don't want to do it when ds is around because I don't have the patience to explain to him why we are getting rid of things we don't use/need anymore. He is 4.5 and is very negative and argumentative right now. If I tell him the sky is blue, he will say that it's purple. If I tell him we are giving this old toy that he hasn't played with in 2 years to someone who has no toys, then he will sit and play with it for 2 hours! (Exaggeration, but ykwim!)

Sigh. I MUST get to 500. I will get to 500, so help me.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#253 of 268 Old 10-24-2006, 04:19 PM

I've lost count. I was trying to write down everything and then I'd forget and you know where that goes...

I would guess I'm around 150/200. That's with being out of town two weekends in a row, so I'm not too disappointed. Today, I got rid of:

2 large old lightbulbs (left by the previous owner)
An air mattress (It one of those triple layer really nice ones, but it blew up.)
DH got rid of 6 shirts (on top of the major closet purge he did a couple weeks ago)

We are moving to a different state next week, so I think we're shifting from decluttering mode to preparing to move mode. I'm definitely in for a November challenge, though! Even though we declutter before we unpack, we always unpack at our new house and ask ourselves, "Why in the world do we need this???"

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#254 of 268 Old 10-26-2006, 09:31 AM

Getting rid of a lot today!!

I did a bit purge and while I covered a lot of area, there are getting to be fewer and fewer "things" to get rid of. It's hard to remember that being decluttered doesn't mean that you have *nothing*, yk? It just means you should try to have only one of something if you have multiples, or to only have things that you love, need, or that make you money. At least that's my opinion.

Goodbye forever to:
-bottle of amonia
-bottle of pine sol
-can of endust
-bottle of clorox anywhere spray
-bottle of soft scrub (can you tell I've made the switch to natural cleansers?)
-old travel/bathroom kit
-container of "emergency candles" (has been in said kit for 3 years)
-bottle of baby oil
-set of old keys
-various travel samples (also 3 years old!)
-manicure items (3) I never do my nails!!
-bag for said items

Taking to a mama swap today:
-bottle of cradle cap remedy
-tube of cocoa butter
-baggy of cute hair clips/barettes from when I had short hair (4 years ago!!)
-various beauty samples
-pillar candle
-candle stand
-unused tube of facial mask
-scrunchy
-pair of cords
-pair of baby jeans
-toddler shirt
-Dora memory game (we have the original as well, might as wel skip the advertising, no?)
-Arthur puzzle (even though I like Arthur, still don't need the reminder to watch him on TV!)
-pack of diaper disposing bags
-hat
-annoying baby toy
-another anoying baby toy
-4 baby blankets
-car seat blanket thing
-jar candle
-2 books
-straw hat
-bunch of toys (10?)
-4 t-shirts
-1 sweatshirt
-bunch of socks (count as 1)

Total=56!

Brings my tally to 90/500. This is harder than I thought!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#255 of 268 Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 AM

-expired bottle of mouthwash
-car safety mirror
-pair of kids shoes

I could stand to purge more clothes, towels, linens etc. It's so hard because I know we will have more kids and I can't imagine getting rid of kid clothes unless they are ruined or worn out, yk?

Also, my husband is a freak about keeping all sorts of blankets and towels. We have a stack of blankets and towels that we have never used since we've been together, but he says you never know when you'll need them.

Anyway, I hope to squeak by with my 500, but I've got to run to MOPS now with stuff I do have gone.

(+3=93/500)

#256 of 268 Old 10-26-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

went thru the baby clothes. Now I am up to 359. A few days left to bring in the home stretch!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#257 of 268 Old 10-26-2006, 04:14 PM

A few items out today. I'm guessing here - I forgot to count!

6 assorted crappy items from "Dh's room"
1 20 year old scooter (I tried donating this. They wouldn't take it. )
1 kitchen junk drawer's worth of odds and ends

8/500

Thanks to the PP who mentioned webuyyourbooks.com! It seems like most of what we have is books and absolutely no place to put any of them. Sadly though, nearly every ISBN I put in comes back as not currently being bought. Drat!

Now all I need is something like webuyyourvinylrecords.com
#258 of 268 Old 10-26-2006, 05:26 PM

I didn't keep an exact count over the past week but conservatively I think I made it to 200. Today, I've sold 20 pieces of Little People animals, etc. to another mom in the area, and tossed 8 wire hangers, 1 old magazine, and 3 pieces of decrepit sports equipment. New total: 232.
#259 of 268 Old 10-27-2006, 12:48 PM

Decluttered desk today! Am donating/trashing:

-HUGE pile of notebook paper/graph paper
-Pens
-Pencils
-New pack of notebook paper (going to return to store)
-New 3 ring binder (same as above)
-highliters
-old business crads
-broken tape measure
-box of labels

Rediscovered:
-big box of stickers! Ds will be so pleased
-light switch cover made for me by my brother
-craft supplies

9 things gone forever! Today is a rainy cold day, so expect much more from me throughout the day.

#260 of 268 Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 PM

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy, yucky day.. I love those kinds of days- I'm always so productive!
Only 4 more days left of the month!!:

#261 of 268 Old 10-27-2006, 04:49 PM

Here's some more!

-old jar of glue
-old markers that don't work
-flashlight
-expired phonebook
-old tape dispenser
-papers
-coloring book
-3 cans playdough
-3 hangers
-doll accessories (minus the bottles )
-another coloring book
-4 paint brushes
-scissors
-earmuffs
-brand new craft kit (regift for my nephew this year! Shhhh!)
-plastic tea pitcher
-magnetic puzzle
-2 computer games
-26 various kitchen utensils
-old jar of cinnamon
-old jar of cinn/sugar mix
-old jar of pepper mix
-plastic bag with onion skins in it
-pie plate (have 2 already!)
-tupperware to be returned to MIL
-expired flour
-old cereal bars

60!

#262 of 268 Old 10-27-2006, 06:15 PM

Question:

I have been doing declutters through the whole house on a daily basis now, the obvious extranneous stuff is gone. I still have things I don't use but can't seem to justify getting rid of.

For example, I have a few corningware crocks that are similar to the ones I had growing up. My parents used to put leftovers in them with saran wrap on top. My dh and I put leftovers in tupperware. I would like to use the corningware, but dh takes the leftovers to work and the tupperware is better for him as far as convenience and limited spillage.

I've moved the corningware from a deep, dark, cavernous cabinet up to where our daily uses plates and tupperware are in hopes that we will use them. What is a good time frame to have in which I should use or toss?

I'm soooo excited because I am chucking a horrible old old comforter (like, 18 years old!) as well as some disgusting pillows. I have to wait until Monday though. Dh would never miss them but if he sees me take them away, he throws the biggest hissy fit. They don't even get used anymore!

Another question--how much craft-y stuff for the kids do you keep? I've got markers, paint, paper, construction paper, glue, scissors, play dough, and some coloring books. I got rid of a lot of coloring books, old markers that didn't work and other duplicates. I also have some stuff like a huge box of stickers. I could see ds really enjoying them, but will I actually remember to give them to him as rewards or to let him play with them?

This project has opened my eyes to the fact that I have tons of good intentions irt playing with/interacting with my son, but you know what they say about good intentions....

It seems like I am always collecting fun crafts for us to do together or neat things for him to get creative with but during the course of the day, I never actually get around to doing the project with him or lugging out the paints and supplies for him to get nice and messy and creative. This makes me feel sad, guilty, and embarassed.

I know I am waaaay off topic at this point, but any suggestions on any of this would be appreciated.

#263 of 268 Old 10-27-2006, 08:26 PM

I'm forcing myself to use up all of our kids' craft supplies before I buy anything new. Like you, I pick stuff up with good intentions but don't get around to doing all the projects, but this "rule" has prompted me to spend more time doing art projects with the kids. I've also given myself a defined space in which to keep arts and crafts supplies, so that it doesn't get out of hand.
#264 of 268 Old 10-27-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
The CraigsList item sold.. yay!
I also listed a bag of outgrown baby clothes, so that was another ten items, plus a bottle of Dreft stain remover that just didn't do the trick for us.

New total: 66
-two broken flashlights- tossed
-lots of twist ties (I always just tie the bag) -tossed
-toys to Goodwill
-old bra missing the underwire- tossed
-stained clothes (beyond repair) - tossed
-old text book- Goodwill
-9 items of clothing to yard sale box (scheduled for next weekend)

New total: 100! :

#265 of 268 Old 10-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Fay

WOW!!! : I can't believe I did it!

Here's my final update. My last count was at 365 items decluttered in October.

Tossed/recycled items: 73
Donated items: 68 :
Sold items: 3

FINAL COUNT: 509 ITEMS PURGED

I didn't think I would get this far. : All of you mamas are an inspiration! Now I need to go take a nap.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#266 of 268 Old 10-29-2006, 07:13 PM

Fay, that's awesome!!

#267 of 268 Old 10-30-2006, 10:22 AM

My old total was 131.

Add to that:
magnetic playset on freecycle
rechargeable battereis - freecycle
kids pool cover-up - freecycle
framed teacher print - freecycle
Mom's brag book - freecycle
recycled 2 old workbooks
threw away old useless underwire bra, broken toy car, and old pair of capris
cut up old soft but stained t-shirt for cleaning rags

new total 142/500

I'm not going to make it by the end of October so I'm going to join the Novemeber thread and keep going until I reach 500.
#268 of 268 Old 10-30-2006, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

As of Sat I was at 330. But I need to add in the bag I am leaving for freecycle of Maggie's lastest outgrown clothes. The mama is coming this week to get it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page