October Declutter 500 items Challenge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone interested??

It will officially start on Oct 1, but just getting ready! I need to get the house into the new season- Get ready for winter etc. Also clear things out before the holiday, change the clothes over so many things! Also my dh has to tackle the garage after the summer.

I plan to do 500 items but anyone is welcome to try to reach that goal and also not to do 500 items.
Here is what counts:
anything you sell on the tp, ebay, Craigslist etc
anything you freecycle, give back to the rightful owners, donate, give away.
anything you throw out but I would much rather somehow get the item back out there thats not possible and I will also be throwing stuff out.

If you have a small box of your old college papers in the attic and you toss it- its one item. If you also toss your dh's box as well, its two items.

The old mayo jar in the fridge counts as an item, two separate happy meal toys count as two items.
If someone is doing a can goods drive, give them a few good items, they count!
You old tax record from 1998 counts as one item to be shredded.

500 sounds like a lot but once you get started you will be surprised how fast you can drum up 500 items and then some! I go thru everything when I do this down to the makeup drawer and over the washer shelf.
Remember you have an entire month to do this so pace yourself. I already arranged for a local charity to come to my house on Oct 20th to do a pickup so it gives me some time. I plan on dedicating about 30-60 minutes on avg daily.

Post your successes and how you are doing with your count as we go!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 10:48 AM

I think I'm in. We are getting married in 2 weeks and presents are already starting to appear at the apartment and well the apartment I way to cluttered to begin with. This is the perfect time to purge the apartment of stuff and duplicates and then pass them on to someone else who needs them. I think I'm actually excited about cleaning!
#3 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM

I'm in! I don't know if I can come up with 500 items though. We purged before we moved and then again over the summer. I gave about a dozen boxes and bags of stuff to charity. I still need to clean out my closet and the front hall closet though!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#4 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 01:10 PM

I'm a new member, and when I saw your forum post I realized it's exactly what I need! Motivation! So I am in, hopefully I can hold to this and get it done.
#5 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 01:31 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! I am totally in!

We're renovating starting November 1st, and have to move everything out. I'd like to get rid of things we don't need rather than moving them out and back in again. Some key places for me to start are: my closet, dh's closet, dd's closet, old business paperwork, and "spare" (read old, expired, unwanted) bathroom supplies. I'll also have to remind myself that clothes I move into the storage locker for future kids do NOT count in this!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#6 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 02:12 PM

Happy!

I'm in for sure! I've been needing/saying I was going to start decluttering for months but by the time I get home from work and/or the gym, get dinner made and dishes done, get lunches ready for the next day, play with DD a little bit, it's time to put her to bed and then by the time we get her to bed, all I want to do is CHILL!

So this will be my motivation. Yay!

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#7 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 02:15 PM

I'm definitely in!
I just listed two things on freecycle after reading this.. (it's almost October )

I will keep my running total here: 8

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#8 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 02:24 PM

Woohoo! I'm so in!

I need to work on ALL closets, and the guest room. We can't even use our bedroom closet because things fall out if you open the door. : I can definitely stand to put things on ebay or craigslist too, because Christmas is approaching and we're saving to buy a house.

Should we list everything we get rid of or a running tally?
#9 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Fay

This is what I need right now. My nesting instinct is kicking in really early with this pg, and I'm starting to feel anxious about clutter everywhere. I have some things I've been meaning to donate for a while, and I think y'all are going to help motivate me. I think I can get to 100 items quickly, not sure about 500. But I expect to post a very long list of items permanently removed from my home.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#10 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM

I am in...Can I count my goodwill box and co-signment stuff I am dropping off tomorrow???:
#11 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 04:01 PM

great idea!!!

I am getting frustrated by the clutter so this will work (and may get DH motivated to get the scary garage sorted )

tara
#12 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 04:02 PM

I'm in!
#13 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, so far a big group! The last time I did one of these, some would post their running total, and then their grand total on the last day of the month. One month even listed how much they decluttered and the number was over 10,000 items all together!

Since we posted, if anyone wants to start, go ahead!

I would list maybe what you cleaned out but you dont need a running tally of what but how many just to keep you motivated.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#14 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 06:56 PM

I'm in! DH will be so glad!
#15 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 PM

I'm in-- Does decluttering the garage count? That is where most of the junk is

I will keep my running total here-
7 of dd's shirts

TOTAL 7
#16 of 268 Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 PM

Im in! I have started to rotate our summer clothes. My goal is always that the whole family's summer clothing will fit in one rubbermaid box. Now that we have a toddler, his clothes have got to fit in there as well. I am also donating some other clothes to Value Village. At one point, my Dh had more clothes than me. I think now we may have about the same, although I'm not sure on that b/c I see his side of the closet creaping over to mine. How does this happen! lol He's even got more shoes than I do! Soon I will be selling more things on EBAY. My aunt and I are in a competition to see who gets our purple star first. ( selling only not buying) When things come in my house something has come in something has to go out!

cheers
Chani
#17 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 12:38 AM

cat.gif

#18 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 12:49 AM

Count me in too. I can easily get 500 items, especially if it counts paper work. I've already moved my shredder by the door to keep the incoming mail at bay.

I suggest anyone who hasn't called to get off the "pre-approved" crap lists, do it this October as well! I've been "meaning" to do it for months now. That's where have my shredder stuff is coming from. Ugh.

BTW, does anyone know what we're supposed to do with the payment breakdowns we get from our health insurance companies? I have stacks of these annoying things. I don't really need to keep them, do I?

Hopefully, we can get our garage done, too, and I can reclaim my art studio!! Whoohoo!

And I sooo want to run a bulldozer through DH's office. There are enough computer parts and odd things in there to build a robot. But don't tell him that or he'll think it's a good idea and try to save it all "just in case."

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#19 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 01:10 AM

I'm up for this one! I cleared out today:
My MIL dropped by:
5 dvds of hers returned
7 kids books I gave her from our shelves to hers
My BFF dropped by:
18 prefolds returned
1 knit shorts I made but were to small for my ds will fit her ds perfect
8 nikki covers returned
3 t-shirts again to small for my ds but will fit her ds
Grand Total: 42 items
What a nice start now if I can just keep it up!!
#20 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow's mom View Post
I'm in! DH will be so glad!

Hahahaha...thats exactly what I was gonna say
#21 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
I suggest anyone who hasn't called to get off the "pre-approved" crap lists, do it this October as well! I've been "meaning" to do it for months now. That's where have my shredder stuff is coming from. Ugh.
How do you do that and what's the number? Thanks for the tip!

---

I cleaned out the closet floor and hanging racks tonight. Holey Moley. I have an entire 50 gallon trash bag full of donation clothes and shoes. I think I'll just count that as one.

I've also listed a bunch of melaleuca prodcuts on Craigslist that I don't want to use anymore, but are much too expensive to give away.

I still need to list a pair of expensive rollerblades (that I've used once) and a pair of 20 hole Doc Martens that I wore like 3 times in high school - womens size 7. (anyone interested?)

Technically I haven't got rid of much besides the bag of clothes. I'm getting there though.
#22 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 04:02 AM

I'm in! With the baby coming sometime in Nov. I have to clean out some space. Even though she is little, the stuff that comes with her seems to pile up fast. I think I am going to start a daily spreadsheet for each category so I can keep track!
#23 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 09:50 AM

I'm sooooo in! My first declutter challenge! I'm excited
I have a babe due in Nov and we have just moved so I have to get stuff OUT!!!

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#24 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
And I sooo want to run a bulldozer through DH's office. There are enough computer parts and odd things in there to build a robot. But don't tell him that or he'll think it's a good idea and try to save it all "just in case."
wow do we have the same DH

tara
#25 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM

Awesome idea! I'm playing, too. I have boxes in my basement that have sat for a year and a half, and I need to go through and purge, declutter, and locate all my baby gear.
#26 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 04:58 PM

yeah!!!!!!!!

80 for me. I just dropped off 2 boxes at the co-signment shop
#27 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 PM

We really, really need to do this. We just found out yesterday that we're moving towards the end of October. We are also moving into a (slightly) smaller place, so I'd like to clean out as much as we can before we move. Most of it will go to the charity thrift store and some of the nicer stuff will go to the consignment shop. I'm so ready for this!

Nicole

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#28 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 05:06 PM

I have even more motivation to de clutter now.... We contacted a realitor and we are going to start looking for our first house after the wedding!!! ANd I am not carting stuff with me that is just junk and we don't need.
#29 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 05:12 PM

I'm totally in! I have a huge shelf of stuff waiting to disappear!- I just threw out & shredded bins of items! - I'm hoping to sell a bunch of stuff but would be ok with giving away as well!

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#30 of 268 Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 PM

9 things from my closet gone
1 box of baby clothes
finally shredded that big box of things waiting to be shredded

so 11 things, slow start but better then nothing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page