Compacting Mommas? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
The question is, what the heck do I do with the iPod? Would keeping it go against the Compact? If I have one, DD will want to use it and IMO her little ears are too young for headphones. Would re-gifting it be a reasonable thing to do? My niece might like it and I'm at a loss as to what to get her (I'll talk to my sis about it first and not give it if she doesn't want it). The only problem with that is that it would be a more valuable gift that what I'm giving my other niece and my foster sister who's the same age as my niece (both of whom already have iPods or similar devices, I think).
If you really didn't want to keep it, eBay it and use the money for appropriate gifts.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

kathirynn
I think a haircut at the salon is totally compact-friendly. Sure a more frugal option would be to cut hair at home, but while the compact is about reducing the number of NEW things we buy a large part of it is still about supporting local businesses such as services.

celestialdreamer
I bet you could find some cute king-sized flat sheets on Ebay and sew them into a duvet cover similar to that one. Give 'em a new life.

Momaste
I think that it's not against the Compact to receive new things--provided you don't actually encourage their purchase. I mean, you can't exactly force anyone to comply with the Compact.

anathasm
I'm sure that the roof qualifies as a safety item, and that knitting lessons don't really need to be an exception since they're a service and not a thing. GL on your month!

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#303 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 11:59 AM

Getting closer to committing...Really enjoying this thread!!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#304 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 12:18 PM

I just wanted to say Hi! as well. I've been reading since the beginning and have joined the Yahoo group too. I find you all very inspirational. I may join in the future.

I was talking to my dh about the Compact a couple days ago and he said: but why deprive yourself of the things you want to buy? I thought about it for a while and told him it's not about deprivation. Really, if I wait a couple days to get something (because I'm not rushing to the store to buy it but instead trying to find a used one), normally I don't even want it anymore. So it's more about curbing the wanting than about curbing the buying/getting. To me anyway. I'm not sure I make sense. He didn't get it, anyway...
#305 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
So I have a dilemma: I plan on getting a lifetime membership to the alumni association for the university I'm about to graduate from. It's $300 for new grads. They throw in an iPod as a gift for joining.

The question is, what the heck do I do with the iPod? Would keeping it go against the Compact? If I have one, DD will want to use it and IMO her little ears are too young for headphones. Would re-gifting it be a reasonable thing to do? My niece might like it and I'm at a loss as to what to get her (I'll talk to my sis about it first and not give it if she doesn't want it). The only problem with that is that it would be a more valuable gift that what I'm giving my other niece and my foster sister who's the same age as my niece (both of whom already have iPods or similar devices, I think).
Swap somebody for stuff you need.
This is how I've been getting my dc's gifts
#306 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
My dh is giving me a fit. He always has to play devil's advocate and it drives me crazy. He's not doing the compact and I just have to come to grips with that and realize it's my problem if I have a problem with it. He asked me if I realized that if this movement took a better hold that he would be out of a job. And I said I hadn't thought about it that way, and kinda shrugged it off. And he was like, I can't believe you so non-shallant about where our livelihood comes from. And I told him that it was a good thing if this movement took a better hold and that if he lost his job it would be OK, that he is a very intelligent person and that he would find another job that wasn't affected by shrinking footprints. He was pretty frustrated. Me too.
Sorry mama. I am also very non-challant about our economic system. I figure what happens happens. I know we can all live (maybe not the same way we have been living) and be fine, even if we aren't supporting this capitalistic society. About him not doing it... at least you are doing your part to cut back on your wastefulness. That is something, something big! I live with my family (mom/dad/bros/sister) and no one but me(and ds, because he's 2.5, and I'm making him) is doing it. Me and ds have our room and that is our little clutter free zone. Maybe you can set aside a room for yourself that you can go to and not feel so cluttered, or put all dh's stuff in a closet .

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#307 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post

It's nice of her to want to give me things, but I don't need more things and don't want her to spend money on things I'll just get rid of. I'm anxious about Christmas, since she often buys from my list and then gets little extra stuff, because quantity counts. I asked her to get us a family gift this year (as no gifts wouldn't fly at, and she wasn't going for the experience gift idea!)

What do I do about getting gifts?

Anxious...
You can ask her to get you services instead. Housecleaning, massages, online music, a netflix subscription, things like that. Then she gets to give you gifts without you accumulating stuff.

Quote:
So I have a dilemma: I plan on getting a lifetime membership to the alumni association for the university I'm about to graduate from. It's $300 for new grads. They throw in an iPod as a gift for joining.

In the case of an Ipod? Re-gifting is more than welcome
#308 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 03:32 PM

Not cutting DS's hair isn't an option. I was able to hold off for a full year, but DH insisted that he "look like a boy." He is awfully pretty and even if he's in full blue, we hear "what a cute girl!" Haha. The short haircut helps.

kellid, I'm posting the Home Maintenance Challenge each week, tackling one area with four small projects and two big projects. It's a managable amount of work for me on top of my regular to do list. Maybe that would help you to tackle your clutter?

chasmyn, she won't do services. I asked already.
#309 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
kellid, I'm posting the Home Maintenance Challenge each week, tackling one area with four small projects and two big projects. It's a managable amount of work for me on top of my regular to do list. Maybe that would help you to tackle your clutter?
#310 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Oh, phoo.
#311 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Not cutting DS's hair isn't an option. I was able to hold off for a full year, but DH insisted that he "look like a boy." He is awfully pretty and even if he's in full blue, we hear "what a cute girl!" Haha. The short haircut helps.

It'll help me too
I can hardly find time to do the regular stuff
#312 of 461 Old 10-27-2006, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
ravin, don't know if anybody mentioned it about the iPod, but we use ours in the car. dh listens to his w/ headphones, but i've never been a big headphone/earbud fan. too noise sensitive i guess. anyway, you can get a cassette adapter and run the thing in your car and then you've got 10,000 tunes at your fingertips. you would have to acquire the cassette adapter, but i'm sure you could find something like that on ebay or if you're not above it ask for it on your next gift giving occasion.

hth and more power to ya <insert upraised fist smiley here>

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#313 of 461 Old 10-28-2006, 12:47 AM

Okay, I need help from some blogger moms. Why aren't all my links working? I copy and pasted the link parts in the template, then added the websites into the links where they are supposed to go without the www. before the webpage name. even when I put the www. they still didn't work. Any suggestions?

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#314 of 461 Old 10-28-2006, 12:54 AM

Never mind, I think I got it!

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#315 of 461 Old 10-28-2006, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our car doesn't have a cassette player to stick an adapter into. My kid sister recently got a car radio she could hook her directly into quite inexpensively (with her employee discount at Wal-Mart), but I'm guessing one of those would be hard to find used and I don't have my own vehicle to stick it into yet. (One of the things that's motivating my compacting is the money I save by sticking to it is going to buy me a car).

I don't think wearing headphones while driving or riding my bicycle is safe. I want to smack people upside the head when I see them doing it. And DD is usually with me...

I'll probably re-gift it to someone.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#316 of 461 Old 10-28-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Our car doesn't have a cassette player to stick an adapter into. My kid sister recently got a car radio she could hook her directly into quite inexpensively (with her employee discount at Wal-Mart), but I'm guessing one of those would be hard to find used and I don't have my own vehicle to stick it into yet. (One of the things that's motivating my compacting is the money I save by sticking to it is going to buy me a car).

I don't think wearing headphones while driving or riding my bicycle is safe. I want to smack people upside the head when I see them doing it. And DD is usually with me...

I'll probably re-gift it to someone.
For our ipod we use an adapter that you plug into your cig lighter and you use a radio station to hear. I forgot what its called.
#317 of 461 Old 10-28-2006, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As far as the argument that if we all stopped buying a bunch of new stuff the economy would collapse, it's probably true. But if we keep on going as we are, the global ecological system that our economy treats so carelessly as free input (i.e., the true cost is not reflected in the economic cost of extracting those resources) is going to over-stress to the point that we won't be able to get what we need from it any more, let alone everything we want.

I don't remember which one, but there was a major cultural center of civilization in South America which manufactured fancy feather headdresses, much in demand by outlying communities' elite people. The fancy headdresses were traded for the basic necessities like food, timber, and other raw materials, including feathers to make the headdresses. An ever-expanding trade network ensured the growth of this central city. Eventually, the outlying villages got smart and started making their own headdresses. Demand plummeted. The central city's economy collapsed and it was abandoned.

Sometimes our society seems to be one where everyone is trading headdresses with everyone else.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#318 of 461 Old 10-28-2006, 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Ravin;6380674]So I have a dilemma: I plan on getting a lifetime membership to the alumni association for the university I'm about to graduate from. It's $300 for new grads. They throw in an iPod as a gift for joining.

The question is, what the heck do I do with the iPod? QUOTE]

Generally speaking, you can alsway decline a "premium"/gift when you join an organization/charity

When I contribute to the sierra club I always right "no premiums please" if I'm donating enough to "Earn" one -- I think they even have a check mark box for that now.
I doubt many people decline a free IPOD -- but you could always be the first (or else my husband has been talking about buying one, maybe we could make a deal)
rebecca
#319 of 461 Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
ravin, don't know if anybody mentioned it about the iPod, but we use ours in the car. dh listens to his w/ headphones, but i've never been a big headphone/earbud fan. too noise sensitive i guess. anyway, you can get a cassette adapter and run the thing in your car and then you've got 10,000 tunes at your fingertips. you would have to acquire the cassette adapter, but i'm sure you could find something like that on ebay or if you're not above it ask for it on your next gift giving occasion.

hth and more power to ya <insert upraised fist smiley here>
About the cassette adapters, I bet you can find one if you start asking around. Just talking to a collegue about by husband wanting to get an mp3 player got us one -- my coworker had several that came with various gadjets he owns -- and he doesn't even have a car!!
#320 of 461 Old 10-29-2006, 03:51 AM

X-posted on my blog (in 2 days it will be):

Doing the Compact has been very interesting for us so far. We've been really good about it - not buying anything new, finding more creative ways to get the things we think we want, not getting some things we think we want but really don't.

An example grocery shopping: not buying convenience food. We made a couple of exceptions for occasional snackies we buy for DH and DS, but those were the only exceptions we made. This means that if DH wants a bottled beverage in the store, he now forgoes that beverage, as it is deemed a convenience food (we always have water in the car in our refillable Sigg bottle or Kleen Kanteen). If I want a Larabar (one of the few convenience foods my diet allows me), I skip it - I can make them at home and they aren't part of the Compact. So we save money, really.

The other day DH wanted a computer game. Normally he just would have gone out and bought it new. But the Compact! So he asked friends and called around and found a local store that sells used computer games. He went and got the game there, but then found that because it had online registration, he was unable to use it. He returned it. He was recalling the story to a friend and knowing about our committment to the Compact, our friend said, "You could buy the game online and download it - in accordance with the Compact, you're not accumulating any new stuff AND they keep your account info so if you need to wipe your system or something, you can still login and download it again if you need to." Score! How we hadn't thought of that I don't know, but it was perfect!

DH has also been studying to take his MCSE's lately (one down, 6 to go!). There is a book that he wanted that has extra information that will help him with the things he is learning and give him even more info that he can use in his job. Our library has a used book section and the other day when he was taking books back, he decided to browse the used book section. And there was the book! For something like 50 cents! This huge computer book for 50 cents! (I'll photograph it later and add it to the Flickr page.)

It's amazing what you can find when you're looking.
#321 of 461 Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 AM

Hi, there is an article about this in this month's Yoga Journal and I was just about to post it here when, lo and behold, you guys are waaaaaay ahead of me.: I'm often the last to know.

So, doing the compact is going to take some reorganizing and preparing for me. I also really like the idea of starting on January 1st. It's arbitrary, granted, but it has a nice ring to it.

In the meantime, I plan to try and make most of my christmas presents and will try to de-clutter and simplify in preparation for the Compact.

Anyone interested in doing it with in the new year?
#322 of 461 Old 10-29-2006, 12:52 PM

Still drafting our "rules" -- thanks for everyone's input on my previous post. I have yet to discuss them with DH. From a money-saving aspect, I think he'll be on board. His Dad was very resourceful -- they rarely paid for new items to renovate their old house. They bartered, salvaged, etc.

ETA: I am going to purge the house of about 500 items as well this month! Should be fun!!
#323 of 461 Old 10-29-2006, 01:44 PM

I'm still working up the nerve. I can totally do it for myself and the kids (I mostly already do), but I will have a REALLY hard time not buying new gifts for people, and DH wouldn't accept an alternative for his family. Gifts are very big there--not the useless kind, fortunately, but well thought out gifts that the person really would like or need or want. Plus I am not good at planning ahead to find an alternative. January 1 may be the best time for me to start, so I'm not committed for the holidays until I'm better at this

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#324 of 461 Old 10-29-2006, 04:19 PM

I like the idea about joining for the New Year. Count me in as a compactor on Januray 1st!!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#325 of 461 Old 10-29-2006, 06:23 PM

I'm taking off the Compact for Christmas, but am otherwise sticking to it. I'll need more time to plan home made or bartered gifts.

We went to a local, organic pumpkin patch this morning to pick out pumpkins. We took a little tractor ride and were given a head of lettuce straight from the ground. And for just the price of pumpkins, we had a fun family activity.

Now I have this monster pumpkin to dissect and cook! Pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, and roasted pumpkin seeds, here we come!
#326 of 461 Old 10-30-2006, 12:35 AM

just subbing, i joined the compact yahoogroup a few days back. we buy mostly used already, but definately could do better, and this is just more inspiration!
yay!

* i just noticed the compacting mamas group, i am subscribing to that as well!* thanks for the link!
#327 of 461 Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 AM

Uh... I just got the Hearthsong catalog and I am soooo TEMPTED. I think some of you mamas think ahead and are more realistic than I am, because I am thinking of Christmas and I want to get DS some stuff! : I will check e-bay/craigslist first... but no promises on keeping to my Compact for Christmas. In my defense, I only buy one or two things for ds, so it shouldn't be excessive. Does anyone want to try and talk me down from my purchasing temptations?

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#328 of 461 Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So I read most of this thread a week or so ago and thought that it would be so hard and I would never be able to do it... BUT I *have* been doing it! I kinda started out curious, but now I'm hooked.

For the holidays, I have already bought a few things here or there when I saw them on sale (before I heard about the compact). I also occasionally see new things at the local thrift store (baby clothing with tags, etc.). Last summer I found a bunch of new yarn. I was thinking I could knit something for someone, but then I realized that a couple people on my gift list were knitters, and would probably enjoy the yarn more, anyway!

Anyway, hopefully we can keep it up around here. We have a few challenges coming up that might be tough. We will be redecorating our office into a nursery, buying work clothes for dh (he is 6'5" with a 31" waist, so I'll never find the right size used!), and will have to figure something out for ds's birthday party. It is time to get creative!
#329 of 461 Old 10-30-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Uh... I just got the Hearthsong catalog and I am soooo TEMPTED. I think some of you mamas think ahead and are more realistic than I am, because I am thinking of Christmas and I want to get DS some stuff! : I will check e-bay/craigslist first... but no promises on keeping to my Compact for Christmas. In my defense, I only buy one or two things for ds, so it shouldn't be excessive. Does anyone want to try and talk me down from my purchasing temptations?
OK, I'll try a little. If ebay/Craigslist doesn't work, could you find similar things made locally or at a fair trade store like 10,000 Villages? Even if you bought new, then you wouldn't be paying for all the transportation, packaging, etc. and keeping the money more local. You're in Chicago, I think? The Kristkindlmart (sure that's spelled wrong) downtown in December has fun stuff and there's a 10,000 Villages in Evanston.

That Hearthsong Catalog is a siren song, though, isn't it? My girls have been combing through it daily. But they know I'm doing the Compact, so they say they'll give their list to Grandma!

Margie
#330 of 461 Old 10-30-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
I'm still working up the nerve. I can totally do it for myself and the kids (I mostly already do), but I will have a REALLY hard time not buying new gifts for people, and DH wouldn't accept an alternative for his family. Gifts are very big there--not the useless kind, fortunately, but well thought out gifts that the person really would like or need or want. Plus I am not good at planning ahead to find an alternative. January 1 may be the best time for me to start, so I'm not committed for the holidays until I'm better at this
this is how it is with dhs family too. My parents always tell us not to buy them things (and mean it) but dhs parents always give us detailed lists of "these are the things we want"
:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page