Compacting Mommas? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 461 Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 tables and a cabinet that I want to top with glass. Does anyone know of a Compact-friendly source for custom-cut glass? (Or will this project have to wait until next year?)

TIA

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#362 of 461 Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 PM

We had a peice cut a few years back. We contacted an auto glass center/home glass center. Maybe if you feel that you really need it you could consider it a craft/project? I am in the same boat. I have two new Pottery Barn lavender velvet euro shams that need the actual 30"x30" insert pillow. I am not sure even if I make the inserts myself if it can be considered under the compact since I don't really "need" them. (did I just hijack?)

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#363 of 461 Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No flames. You bought a USED car. Meets Compact, even if it seems snazzy to you.

For me, a major goal corollary to the Compact is to buy a car. The money I save by Compacting is going into the Car Fund. I am not taking on any new debt, so I will be paying cash, and of course buying used.

But it sure as heck will be new to ME!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#364 of 461 Old 11-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post

Oh, and we did get a new to us minivan (which was planned purchase, and very much needed) last week. It is 5 years old but has lots of bells and whistles so it feels like such a hypocritical purchase when I'm buying used clothing for our family, etc. I guess I'm a little uncomfortable going from driving my 10 year old base model sedan (which was not working for us) to something that I consider so upscale. Nobody flame me please, I'm feeling guilty enough already :
I'd rather have used clothing and a really safe car!

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#365 of 461 Old 11-02-2006, 11:19 PM

My update- So far I've been doing well. Today is my two week anniversary! It seems longer than that though. I've been feeling guilty because I've been eating out more than I want to, but the only thing I've bought new is some much needed undies and socks. Oh, and under my exception I'm allowed to buy craft stuff, but I did HORRIBLY today at JoAnn's. I didn't have my written list, and let myself browse, and it got ugly. It was all CRAFT stuff though... Eeek. For Halloween I was tempted to buy a costume, but I didn't, got creative and ds was Charlie Chaplain instead (though I am never doing that again because too many people thought he was Hitler). However, I'm still tempted about Christmas gifts... still thinking though. Oh, and Margie- Great idea about 10,000 Villages! I always forget about that place.

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#366 of 461 Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM

Coming out of deep lurkdom (I'm very inspired by you guys but not quite ready to join yet) to say in response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
I need a new calendar refill. I've been using a Franklin Covey binder
and mine was destroyed last month in a freak baby accident (he pulled
out and chewed on a bunch of the pages!) Calendars can't especially be
purchased used, right? Would a calendar refill be a reasonable
exception?
and this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malva
How about something you make on the computer and print? I'm sure there are free calendar pages somewhere on the net.
. . . here's a link for a (free) "diy planner" that you print out on the computer. It can very readily be configured for your own requirements, so it might make a great notebook for transitioning from the professional world.
#367 of 461 Old 11-03-2006, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the DIY planner link! That's a fantastic idea. Thanks!

I have a box of adult toys leftover from when I was doing pleasure parties (like tupperware parties with adult products.) They aren't used, but are sitting in my closet awaiting a new home! I'm not sure where to sell them. I hate to throw them away since I did pay good money for all the inventory, but I will never in my lifetime use all this stuff!

Would anyone be interested in bartering for them? Suggestions of where to sell them?
#368 of 461 Old 11-03-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the DIY planner link! That's a fantastic idea. Thanks!

I have a box of adult toys leftover from when I was doing pleasure parties (like tupperware parties with adult products.) They aren't used, but are sitting in my closet awaiting a new home! I'm not sure where to sell them. I hate to throw them away since I did pay good money for all the inventory, but I will never in my lifetime use all this stuff!

Would anyone be interested in bartering for them? Suggestions of where to sell them?
I might: It depends on what you have available. What do you have?
You can PM me if you don't want to post your list of stuff.
#369 of 461 Old 11-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Okay, I'm not OFFICIALLY compacting, but this thread has really made me more aware of my spending, and just thinking about it really helps our budget and our less cluttered lifestyle.

Having said that, I've got a 5-year old DD who REALLY likes doing art projects. We tend to find and recycle lots of paper, shoe boxes, cardboard, etc., but don't have much luck with tape, glue, markers, crayons and the like. Any ideas for finding some of this stuff somewhere other than the oh-so-tempting Target?
#370 of 461 Old 11-04-2006, 04:48 PM

I have crafting stuff in my exception, so you could do that. Or maybe you could put an ISO list on craigslist, I know I have a ton of barely used art supplies laying around (I keep thinking "I'll use that...") You'll find something.

#371 of 461 Old 11-04-2006, 05:58 PM

Okay ladies I need your opinion on this one!
DH got his lunch-box stolen (with his lunch inside) out of the refrigerator at his job. GRRRR! Because he is there for 12 hours he needs a large insulated lunch box. Is this a work related expense? Has anyone ever found such a lunch box at a thrift store? I have never seen one but then again I never looked for one either. What do you all think I should do?
#372 of 461 Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 PM

It's a little expensive, but I can't recommend the Mr.Bento lunchbox highly enough. I got one for DH last Christmas and it has made packing lunch much easier, and it's fun to eat meals with courses. There are four bowls, one that closes tightly enough for soup, and it is insulated so hot stuff stays hot all day. I think Tupperware now makes a version of it. (There is even a Flickr group dedicated to pictures of lunches in the Mr.Bento!)

You can buy it used on amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-Stai...&s=home-garden
#373 of 461 Old 11-04-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It's a little expensive, but I can't recommend the Mr.Bento lunchbox highly enough. I got one for DH last Christmas and it has made packing lunch much easier, and it's fun to eat meals with courses. There are four bowls, one that closes tightly enough for soup, and it is insulated so hot stuff stays hot all day. I think Tupperware now makes a version of it. (There is even a Flickr group dedicated to pictures of lunches in the Mr.Bento!)

You can buy it used on amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-Stai...&s=home-garden
You know I was planning on doing that before we started the Compact and forgot about those. If I can find them used that would be great! Thanks!
#374 of 461 Old 11-04-2006, 10:04 PM

There weren't any straight up used ones on Amazon, so you might try Ebay, or else go with a refurbished one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#375 of 461 Old 11-05-2006, 01:20 AM

About the art supplies -- I did get lucky today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
I have crafting stuff in my exception, so you could do that. Or maybe you could put an ISO list on craigslist, I know I have a ton of barely used art supplies laying around (I keep thinking "I'll use that...") You'll find something.
Thanks, Natalya! I ended up contacting someone from our local "Freemarket" here who was getting rid of markers, crayons, pastels, and reams of paper! DD will be in heaven.

Just needed the push to make this work.
#376 of 461 Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 AM

Everything came together yesterday

We are starting to plan better because I know that we should not buy new items. So, I've been thinking a lot about gifts (now and for the future for DD). DH and I would love for her to have a train table sometime next year. (DH reminded me that she doesn't have any trains yet; he thinks I'm putting the cart before the horse. Trains are easier to get than a nice table, IMHO.)

Anyway, we needed to clear out the attic because of the roof construction starting next week. While I was up there, I spotted an old Ikea tabletop/desk and the 4 metal, screw-in legs. A TRAIN TABLE DH says he can remove the feet from the legs, cut them down, attach the feet again and yea! a train table for DD. For free, from our attic built from a desk we long forgot about :
#377 of 461 Old 11-05-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
There weren't any straight up used ones on Amazon, so you might try Ebay, or else go with a refurbished one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished
I forgot about ebay!! I'm gonna try that next because I don't have $30+ to spend on a lunchbox right now. I'm saving up for our trip to NYC (no kids!!) later this month. Plus, DH is a sandwich man and I think the bento boxes would be better for him.
#378 of 461 Old 11-05-2006, 06:50 PM

lurking as well, but i wanted to put this out there, (you all may know this already) the woman that did the little brown dress experiment is now doing another, recycling clothing already in her closet. i was in heaven last night after perusing her links. oh. my.
i have been doing this for a week, just experimenting (will start Jan 1 07)
all of our halloween costumes were made at home, with materials from home, except some velcro & a bit of elastic and a shirt from goodwill.
my issues so far-kinko's (mostly copies/faxing-dh business, homeschool)
lightbulbs, house maintenence type stuff you can't get used (we are painting, and we did get some paint from freecycle but had to get spackling)
anyone running into things like this?
#379 of 461 Old 11-05-2006, 07:00 PM

aolinsmom: I would put things that are essential for running the household, like lightbulbs, on the safety list. If you have no light, you can't safely get around your house. I think, though, that new lamps don't count. Lightbulbs are consumables that can't really be found used. You could probably barter for some, though. (I actually have a bunch of incandescent bulbs leftover since I've switched to compact flourescents. If you want them, PM me and maybe we could barter?)

Could you see about purchasing a second-hand fax/copier? They're often new for $100, so you could probably get a used one on Craigslist or Ebay pretty cheap. That could help with both the faxes and copying. I use mine all.the.time, so I can see your dilemna. I think it ends up being cheaper to own fairly quickly if you're doing a lot of copying and faxing.

There is a great blog about refashioning: http://wardroberefashion.blogspot.com/ You'd probably enjoy that!

I posted this on the Yahoo! group but wanted to post here too because I'm excited:

I have been talking to my mom about not buying a bunch of new things for Christmas, and she's had a hard time with the idea of not buying new. This morning we were talking and she mentioned that my nephew (2 1/2) has a Little People farm and Noah's Ark set that he never really played with, and do
I want it for DS? I said yes, that would be a great holiday gift. She said that she'd give DS the farm and me the money she would have spent on him for his college account. Fantastic! I was so thrilled that she suggested it, and the money in his college account will go farther in his life than a few plastic toys.

It's fun to see the idea spreading.
#380 of 461 Old 11-05-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:

There is a great blog about refashioning: http://wardroberefashion.blogspot.com/ You'd probably enjoy that!
Another blog to read! I've never heard of refashioning! Me and my sister were just talking about doing this the other night, and joking about how she could refashion her clothes, but since she's such a bad sew-er and doesn't have much of a wardrobe anyways she would end up with one shirt.

#381 of 461 Old 11-05-2006, 09:08 PM

So along with Compacting, I've been attempting to revise what I think I actually need in my home. Like a huge decluttering purge. I have been extremely excited about all of it and repeatedly mentioned it to my mom. Then this weekend my mom drops by with a entire bag full of holiday knicknacks that she got at her work for a dollar each. They were very nice items that normally are priced between $20-30 each, so it was really thoughtful of her, but I was just trying to get rid of the stuff like that and then she brings me more And of course, she will ask where they are next time she comes over (which she does alot), so I guess I'm stuck with displaying them this season and "accidently" losing them next year I guess she really doesn't get it, although I really appreciate her trying to be nice. Her feelings would be very hurt if I tried to discuss this with her.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#382 of 461 Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 AM

subbing and seriously thinking about this. I've been so concerned about an increasing desire to SHOP! I've never been a shopper but since ds was born I've been bored and often find myself shopping out of boredom. Yikes. I'm pretty sure I'll be jumping in here soon, but I don't want to commit without consideration. Ya'll are great for doing this!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#383 of 461 Old 11-06-2006, 01:31 PM

Hey mammas! We just got back from Hood River. Dh has some confereneces there, and since his work payed for the room, I decided to take the boys. I didn't buy a single thing except for food and coffee, and apples from one of the orchards. They have the cutest downtown with really nice shops, but I only went downtown to get dinner(burritos) one night. Of course it really helped that it rained the whole time, so walking two boys arround downtown in the rain to look at things they couldn't touch wouldn't have worked anyway. They had two really nice wooden toy shops, and Dakine has their main place there, but I din't go. I am actually so proud of myself.

I took the boys on the Fruit Loop, which is 30 something miles of farms, orchards, animal farms etc. that let you come and pick what you want, play with the animals etc. Since it was raining we only went to one big place and bought some apples, they had like 30 different kinds! Then we went to a Chestnut farm and they were roasting chestnuts over fires, it was awesome. THere weren't any kite boarders or windsurfers out for us to watch, but we walked out along the river anyway. Okay, that's my weekend. Hope you all had a nice one as well!

#384 of 461 Old 11-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Since you all are or have been decluttering, check out the Holiday Helper thread to see if any of your GU items can be sent to a family in need. There is a link in my siggy
#385 of 461 Old 11-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Today I bought:

$205: new tires for my car (mine were balding, so this is preventative safety, right?)
$12: Costco free and clear laundry soap - should last two to three months. Does this fit into health and safety? Should basic hygeine be an acceptible new line item to purchase? I spent $38 the other day on Dr. Bronner's soap and essential oils for house cleaning. Same idea - basic consumable household supplies: okay?
$10: lab tests for DS (obviously health)

And because I've budgetted and saved by not buying junk, I had the money to buy the tires with CASH and with money to spare!! Whee!
#386 of 461 Old 11-06-2006, 11:08 PM

I just had to buy tires too, and definately think they fall under safety. I have to drive up to the mountain at min. 2 days a week, and barely avoided accidents last year even though my Subaru is AWD. I found a set on Craigslist for $225. The girl had only used them a month, and they come with a lifetime warrenty from the company(made locally) and if anything happens they go wherever you are and put on a spare, patch. etc. I def. consider that a safety purchase.

#387 of 461 Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 AM

Well the Compact has been going well for me. I have only bought plants, which are in my rules of edible or native, I also buy them from local small growers. I just don't have any desire to shop, maybe it is the upcoming elections , but I want things to change in this country and if it means me not shopping I am willing to do it. I haven't really even bought anything second hand, i did get some clothes from my girlfriend that she didn't want anymore, they are great.
I really am hoping to start using public transportation in some way, but I just need a push, it is difficult to use in the city I live in, but I really want to work it in. I have gotten out of the habit of line drying my clothes, I want that habit back. I think some clothes need to be purged.
On that note I am purging the house of more and more stuff. It is getting cleared out and so much easier to take care of...

I love reading all your posts. So inspiring! And hopefull!
Love,
Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#388 of 461 Old 11-07-2006, 03:53 AM

We're doing well too. I've been trying to think of when I last bought something that doesn't fall under the Compact. We went to the zoo this weekend and only paid for food--still not great, I'm working hard on reducing our fast food purchasing, but we haven't brought any new items into the house (outside of groceries) in a couple of weeks.

One thing I'm struggling with at the moment--I really want to buy warmer jammies for my toddler. We're (OK, I'm ) trying to keep the heat down lower at night, but my 4 year old refuses to wear socks and kicks her comforter off at night, and the toddler doesn't like the quilt on her either. I only have two fleece sleepers for her now, and they get foody and dirty really quickly. I'd love to get a 2-3 more blanket sleepers for her, but I'm not having any luck finding used ones. Nothing's coming up on Freecycle, and on eBay, with shipping, they're selling for as much as I could buy them for new in BRU or the Carter's outlet. Argh! I keep telling myself I can just keep washing those two sleepers, but realistically, I can't keep up with the laundry that quickly, and they'll wear out very quickly at that rate (they're already handed down ). Any suggestions?

Other than this, I'm not really even having the urge to shop. Every once in awhile the thought crosses my mind that I should run to Target to get something, and then I think about my decluttering project and the thought disappears quickly I can't even remember what it was I was feeling like I needed!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#389 of 461 Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 AM

For sleepers:

They get a lot less foody and dirty if you put the child in them immediately before bed and take them off first thing in the morning. No snacks in the PJ's, no breakfast in the PJ's, and the PJ's stay clean enough to wear several nights in a row (barring big midnight pee accidents, of course).
We got through last winter with just 2 sleepers just fine.

Last night I went to Target. I bought:

Dish soap
A new tail light for my bike (old one broke; needed safety item)
A new inner tube for our bike trailer tire (maintenance item)
Tent stakes for my secondhand tent (Need if I'm going to use the tent this weekend, so bending the compact here, but...)

And that's it. In retrospect, I forgot to get one more thing we needed from there: undies for DD. We can get by a bit longer w/o more of them, though. I suppose I could look at Goodwill, but I'm picky and won't get the kind with licensed characters, so it could be slim pickings.

#390 of 461 Old 11-07-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
For sleepers:

They get a lot less foody and dirty if you put the child in them immediately before bed and take them off first thing in the morning. No snacks in the PJ's, no breakfast in the PJ's, and the PJ's stay clean enough to wear several nights in a row (barring big midnight pee accidents, of course).
We got through last winter with just 2 sleepers just fine.
I know, this is what I keep telling myself. But if I put her in regular clothes first thing, then she gets THOSE foody and stained. I'd rather she stain her sleepers than her good clothes, and that's how I end up back where I started I just found a couple pairs of boys sweats on the TP for $1 each, so I think if I use those and long sleeved shirts with a onesie underneath, that should do the trick. If not, well, then I'll have to resort to the first morning changing into play clothes, and then changing again into clean clothes if necessary later in the day (if we're going somewhere, which we usually are).

Thanks for the advice!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page