Compacting Mommas? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 461 Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I subbed a while ago and I have been trying to keep up with this thread. I haven't taken the plunge yet but just reading and thinking about it has really impacted the way I shop and how much we buy.

We are definitely giving experiences not clutter for holiday gifts.

One thing holding me back from joining the compact is clothes for my oldest daughter. Resale is very iffy in my neck of the woods so I tend to get her new, durable clothing that I hand down to dd2 and dd3. I have a 'source' (read friend) for boy clothes so that is covered. Maybe I should write this exception in? I (already) over think her clothes, making sure not to over buy on quantity. Or maybe this is the area I most need to work on?

I'll let everyone know when I make the plunge.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 461 Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
Ravin: As I fell asleep last night, I was thinking about the pillow situation. My pillow is really, really old (about 7 years). I have terrible allergies and I feel like my pillow is making them worse. Additionally, FH's pillow for when he's here is just crappy and beat up, too. I am leery of buying second-hand pillows, because it doesn't seem wholly sanitary to me.

I was going to start the Compact today until December 15 (at least) and I'm sure I can make it that long with the pillow I have. However, if I decide to go on longer, I feel like I would categorize a new pillow under health and safety. I feel that having a pillow for 7 years is pretty good, and I don't think I'd feel too bad about getting a new one as long as I could find one of good quality that was made in a way that I can support. Hm.

Also! If I decide to participate in the Compact for a longer period of time... well, I have a wedding coming up. I really have my heart set on having a corset and skirt made. Do I need them? Well, no... but I plan on reusing the outfit, and I really do want the day to be special for us. (No huge wedding, just basically a picnic.) Hm. More to think about.
7 years old for a pillow??? It is definitely what is contributing to your allergies. You need a new pillow. I'd invest in a hypo-allergenic one, too - maybe even an organic one - although they are quite spendy. But yes, I concur - definitely a health and safety item.

This is YOUR wedding? I know a woman who makes brilliant corsets, if you'd like her name. I think supporting local artisans is definitely a good thing, and for your wedding? She can make you a corset out of any fabric in any size. She is amazing with costumes. It would definitely be wearable again. Let me know if you want her name/webpage.
#423 of 461 Old 11-17-2006, 04:45 PM

I posted a message about this on the Yahoo group as well, and I am hoping it is not in violation of the MDC rules to cross post it (I'm kind of scatterbrained right now; I found out last night my mom has some cirrhosis of the liver).

Since I am Compacting, I will not be purchasing holiday gifts this year. Instead, I'm planning to make things (lots of ideas from the $0 Christmas thread) for everyone; my sisters will get scarves, my mom a rice pillow beanbag warmer thing for her joint pain, my dad probably the same thing, perhaps some cookies and whatnot, and mixes in jars. However, I want to make a hat and socks for FH, but my entire yarn stash is in girly colors like purple and variegated stuff. I wondered if any of you compacting mamas who knit might like to trade something for a color more suitable? If I can't find someone to trade with, I'm going to allow myself an exception and buy new yarn for this (yarn will be one of my exceptions, but only if I can't trade).

And humm, I wonder if I couldn't MAKE my own pillows, maybe buckwheat? I'm not much of a seamstress and my sewing machine is at someone else's house right now, but I'll have to look into it.
#424 of 461 Old 11-17-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
I had an okay day today, but near the end I started having the "I'm on my period, I'm going to lock the children in their rooms if they don't stop being loud and bothering me, or maybe I'll just freak out and cry". You know, one of those days where you realize that you are hormonaly imbalanced and you can see it but there is nothing you can do to stop it. I took out a dollar and started to head out he door for a chocolate bar, but dh kept asking me if the Hershey's was made locally, bla, bla, bla. So here I sit with my cup of Vanilla Hazelnut tea, and unwind the hormone rush. But what I wouldn't give for that chocolate!
I am going to fix some tea.
#425 of 461 Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Can I still join the Compact?
#426 of 461 Old 11-17-2006, 07:43 PM

:

love the concept of this! I am off to read the whole thread..all 22 pages

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#427 of 461 Old 11-17-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRose View Post
Is it too late?

Can I still join the Compact?
It's never to late to join!!

Welcome!!!
#428 of 461 Old 11-18-2006, 03:21 PM

Well, my Christmas gifts are bought/made for the most part, but I have three relatives on dh's side that will be with us on Christmas and I need gifts for them. Last year I made melt and pour soap w/ Aidan for them. This year I would really like to make the cookie mix in the mason jars. I cannot for the life of me find recipes though. Does anyone know of recipes for cookie mixes in jars, or websites that would have them? I will x-post on yahoo as well. I have decided to forgo my trip to IKEA with my sil and mil after TG. Since it had been scheduled before the compact, and I only get to go every couple of years, I really wanted to go and not feel guilty buying. But doing the compact fot this long has changed my veiw on *special* buying. It's like I tell myself I have to buy something since it's a rare occation, but really, why bother. It will be nice to use it as an excuse anyway since I don't really have the money right now.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#429 of 461 Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 PM

Never mind! I just found this website . I'm going to make the chocolate lover's cookie mix for his relatives.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#430 of 461 Old 11-18-2006, 08:30 PM

Need some advice...before I started the Compact, I exchanged a skirt at a retail store and got a gift card for it. What would y'all do with that? I need to use it before it expires...and I don't think it's transferable...it's a "credit" with my name on it (not a gift "card"). Should I use it? Even though it's technically aquiring something new? Should I give it to my sister? Hmmmm...it's for about $35.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#431 of 461 Old 11-18-2006, 08:41 PM

Can you get something and send it to a MIN at the holiday helper thread?

#432 of 461 Old 11-18-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
Need some advice...before I started the Compact, I exchanged a skirt at a retail store and got a gift card for it. What would y'all do with that? I need to use it before it expires...and I don't think it's transferable...it's a "credit" with my name on it (not a gift "card"). Should I use it? Even though it's technically aquiring something new? Should I give it to my sister? Hmmmm...it's for about $35.
I have had the same problem with gift cards myself. About 2 weeks before my birthday I joined the compact. I got a $200 gift certificate for clothes for my birthday that I don't know what to do with.
#433 of 461 Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Can you get something and send it to a MIN at the holiday helper thread?
I second this suggestion
#434 of 461 Old 11-19-2006, 07:49 PM

Okay, ladies, I completely fell off the wagon. Help me pick myself back up!

I bought a shirt last week for family pictures, like I posted earlier. I didn't absolutely need a new shirt (I wouldn't go naked without it), but since leaving the workforce, all I really have are my mommy T-shirts and none were nice enough for the holiday pictures. I tried to find used, and had I started looking earlier I could have, but I waited until the day of pictures and the thrift stores had nothing appealing in my size. (I'm plus sized and it's hard for me to find clothes that fit in general, let alone second hand.) So it's over, I spent the money, I have the nice shirt for going out. Okay.

Then I realized that I needed a new coat since mine from last year (and the year before, and the year before that) is on its last legs. I got a catalog in the mail that had coats, and a coupon code for a 40% discount on one item. You see where this is going. I went to their website and found a new coat, and while I was at it, I added some long sleeved shirts (the mommy wardrobe around here!) and a new jean skirt. I could use some long sleeved shirts since I don't have many and winter is coming up, but I didn't even try to find them second hand. I just whipped out the debit card and bought 'em. I didn't even THINK about it. What is WRONG with me??

Luckily, I had the money on hand from selling some unused household items and it won't be a struggle on other areas of the budget. But still, I'm peeved at myself, and the order has already shipped so I can't just cancel it.

I'm so annoyed at myself. And at the same time, I'm looking forward to the new jacket. Sheesh am I conflicted.
#435 of 461 Old 11-19-2006, 10:35 PM

momaste~ When the mailman comes tell him to return to sender. Or take the coat out(since this seems to be the pressing need)and return the rest. don't keep any of it. Take the refund and search Ebay, craigslist, resale shops, etc. We live in a cold weather place and I had to go to Goodwill every day for about a week to find two decent wool sweaters and a couple of shirts and a pair of yoga pants. It all cost me less than $30.

#436 of 461 Old 11-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
momaste~ When the mailman comes tell him to return to sender. Or take the coat out(since this seems to be the pressing need)and return the rest. don't keep any of it. Take the refund and search Ebay, craigslist, resale shops, etc.
Becca...we must think alike. That's exactly what I just posted on her blog

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#437 of 461 Old 11-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Sara I don't know how you all keep up with the blogs and yahoo group with all the time that has to be spent making every meal from scratch and tirelessly searching for used items I have started to feel exhausted in the morning just thinking about putting dinner together!

#438 of 461 Old 11-20-2006, 02:57 PM

Just checking in. So far, so good. I will admit that I've bought a few food items that aren't strictly "neccessities", like, um, chocolate raspberry sticks from Trader Joe's. But I figure this is not about deprivation, rather it is about living with enough and not going overboard.

The temptation to order yarn is way, way high. I am trying to get some secondhand yarn to make FH a hat for a holiday present, but if I can't get it that way I will probably have to buy it new.

I also need a Keeper, in addition to the pillows.

One other thing; my mom's dog, a papillon, is dying of cancer. There's a neat papillon pendant, handmade, on Etsy, that I'd like to get for her, but I can't decide whether this is justifiable or not. It is handmade, but it's also new. I feel like it's kind of a special situation, though, and it isn't the kind of thing I can find secondhand, you know? Hm.
#439 of 461 Old 11-20-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
One other thing; my mom's dog, a papillon, is dying of cancer. There's a neat papillon pendant, handmade, on Etsy, that I'd like to get for her, but I can't decide whether this is justifiable or not. It is handmade, but it's also new. I feel like it's kind of a special situation, though, and it isn't the kind of thing I can find secondhand, you know? Hm.
IMO, for that kind of thoughtful, handmade gift, I would make an exception. If you know she'll cherish it, it's far better than buying/making something that might end up being useless to her, YK?

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#440 of 461 Old 11-20-2006, 04:37 PM

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the clothes. I can return them and waste the money on shipping, but they were a good price and Ebay doesn't have much for less, plus I'd pay shipping on each item. I know the intent is not to buy new for more than financial reasons, but that's sticking me right now.

Another topic: I got a Diva cup and this is my second cycle using it. Does anyone else feel like they have more cramps while wearing it? I have been extra-crampy and when I take it out, less cramps. Also, there is kind of a poky feeling. Am I doing something wrong? I used Instead cups for years without issue and I guess I expected this to feel the same way.
#441 of 461 Old 11-20-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, Buying from crafters on Etsy is good! I am an Etsier myself and consider purchases from shops on there to be handmade. Alot of us that sell on Etsy do it to have a little money on the side, or just keep our craft expenses out of the family budget. Go for it!

#442 of 461 Old 11-20-2006, 04:45 PM

Momaste~ Does the place you purchased the items for cover return shipping? Most catalog companies will include a return label in the package, or return the shipping back on your card. I would call the company and ask.

#443 of 461 Old 11-21-2006, 12:53 PM

OK, so I'm on day six of the Compact, and so far so good. I have been really thinking of ways to get what I need without buying new. I have also been decluttering my basement and trying to come up with swaps or just give things away.

One thing I will be doing again - I need yarn for presents and to maintain my hobby, but I hate to buy new (even though knitpicks.com is calling to me). I need to go again to the secondhand stores; you can buy nice wool sweaters there and unravel/reball the yarn. I don't know if this suggestion will help any of the knitting Compacters!

I have to say that I am feeling really, really good about doing this. It seems like the kind of thing that can really change your life. I think I'd like to start a blog, but I don't think I have the time to keep up with it properly. We'll see after the holidays. I'm not sure I'd have been in a position to want to do this if I hadn't broken my foot and been unable to buy new stuff for a couple of months. When it's forced on you, you kind of realize that it's not such a big deal - that you don't NEED as much as you think you want.

I think I will get the pendant for my mom. I have purchased from that Etsy seller before and I like her work, and I know my mom would enjoy it.

I was also wondering... I have sort of an addiction to magazines, and I'd like to get a few Martha Stewart (I KNOW, I KNOW, but I like to look at the ideas and adapt them) wedding magazines. It's a long shot, but does anyone have any they'd like to give up? I also recycle the magazines when I'm done with them by making paper bowls (found the idea on craftster.org). I don't absolutely need them, so I guess I can't really justify buying new.
#444 of 461 Old 11-21-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I was also wondering... I have sort of an addiction to magazines, and I'd like to get a few Martha Stewart (I KNOW, I KNOW, but I like to look at the ideas and adapt them) wedding magazines. It's a long shot, but does anyone have any they'd like to give up? I also recycle the magazines when I'm done with them by making paper bowls (found the idea on craftster.org). I don't absolutely need them, so I guess I can't really justify buying new.
If you want the magazines mostly for the ideas, check your library to see if they carry them.
#445 of 461 Old 11-21-2006, 02:15 PM

Wow. Is there a "DUH" smilie? I forgot about the library altogether. :

(In my defense, I haven't been able to get TO the library in several months, so, um... yes. That's why.)
#446 of 461 Old 11-21-2006, 02:53 PM

I bought new bath towels. :

They are super soft organic cotton and although I really *wanted* some new ones because our other ones are really scratchy and mildewy smelling after one use... I didn't need them. Every time I look at them I'm going to feel guilty

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#447 of 461 Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I bought new bath towels. :
It was a family need. You could have bought used, but if you buy a family need new they will last longer, right? Plus it sounds like you are very mindful of your purchase. I am still holding off. I have a devil on one side and an angel on the other. I wonder which will win?

#448 of 461 Old 11-21-2006, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don't feel guilty about bath towels, especially if they are organic cotton. If my towels were scratchy and mildewy smelling I would consider new ones a 'need'.

Still working on scaling back until Dec 1 when we take on the compact for 1 year!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#449 of 461 Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Regarding the Keeper/Diva cup: The last one I had (I lost it!) took me several cycles to "break in", and get used to using.

Since I lost the stupid thing, I've been using cloth, and making it for myself. I want another Diva, but I have alternatives so even though it's a health/sanitation item, it's not a NEED.

Right now, we have no washing machine. A new one is coming tomorrow (mgmt company's doing, not ours; it will probably be crappier than the one that broke). In the mean time, I have no clean cami to wear tomorrow! The down side to downsizing your wardrobe: when a crisis hits, you run out of clothes FAST! The thought has crossed my mind to stop by Target and pick up a cami or two, just to avoid going to a laundromat. I though about stopping by Goodwill, but the idea of wearing an undergarnment from Goodwill w/o washing it first squicks. I'm wearing a yoga top tomorrow and holding out.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#450 of 461 Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM

I guess you are both right about the bath towels, but I think we probably could have made do without them. I only bought a set of 4 (4 members in our family) and specifically bought organic cotton. So its not like I went to Target and bought 10 cheap ones, ya know? DH needed socks recently (his were full of holes) which we had planned as a purchase pre-Compact. I bought him organic cotton socks :-) I like the idea of being able to spend the $ on something quality and environmentally friendly when I really have to, because I'm not spending $ on anything else! I've been so good on the Compact except for the towels, which I'm trying to do a really good job of justifying right now

Now I just need to work more on decluttering! Seems like something always comes up when I am ready to work on a clutter spot.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page