Compacting Mommas? - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2006, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family does a name exchange every year for Christmas, with a $50 spending limit (as in, it's expected that everyone will SPEND $50, not that the gift is WORTH $50.) I am buying gifts this year (may Compact next year's gifts) and spent some time yesterday buying the gift for the family I selected -my cousins, a mom and dad in their early thirties and their two kids, 6 and 4. I am making them a "family fun kit" - all the makings for a hot fudge sundae (just add ice cream), a GC for Blockbuster, a book of paper airplanes, and the board game Mouse Trap.

I wanted to come up with CONSUMABLE things so they wouldn't just have a bunch of clutter, but then remembering how fun Mouse Trap was when I was little, I bought that, negating the clutter-free-ness of the other parts. Haha. Does this seem like a fun gift for a family? Do you think the parents will be bored with it? I got them last in 2001 and made them a scrapbook to add pictures to, and the mom said she never got around to filling it in. I kind of don't want to do more home made since I don't feel like it was appreciated.

Ravin - how about handwashing a cami or two and hanging it to dry in the house tonight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No worries, the new machine is here, and it's actually a bigger one than the old one, with more cycle choices. Yay, efficiency!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:15 PM

I was all set to join the Compact, and then I received several gift cards for Christmas gifts from my family.

I used a couple of them to purchase things for the "wishlist" at the local homeless shelter (new, but for a really good cause...can I justify that???).

I want to use the other one to buy a few very specific items to help with my decluttering goals. :

Maybe I should just use them up and then join the Compact?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM

Clear out your p.m. box!! I need to send you a message.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRose View Post
I was all set to join the Compact, and then I received several gift cards for Christmas gifts from my family.

I used a couple of them to purchase things for the "wishlist" at the local homeless shelter (new, but for a really good cause...can I justify that???).

I want to use the other one to buy a few very specific items to help with my decluttering goals. :

Maybe I should just use them up and then join the Compact?
Perhaps you can join after the holidays? (Like a New Year's Resolution?)

In the meantime, you can practice being mindful in your purchases.

ETA: I think the gifts for the homeless shelter are justifiable.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 11-29-2006, 11:59 AM

New winter thread here.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 PM

I have actually been trying to do this for some time...who knew I was "compacting". I guess my next step is to actually create a plan for our family.

Thanks everyone for the awesome ideas...
Old 12-01-2006, 12:56 PM

subbin' thanks Bex!

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
Old 12-01-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malva View Post
New winter thread here.

Ok, I'm quoting myself here...

Please post in the new thread, not in this one.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:25 PM

I had a compacting moment this morning. I feel like a dork for sharing, because it's so small, but hey... My oldest is in a jump rope club at school, and I'd been meaning to get a jump rope to practice with him while the younger 2 nap in the afternoons. So I was making a shopping list (of food etc) and was about to write "jump rope" down, when I realized, "Hey! A jump rope can be a piece of rope! We have rope in the garage!" So I'm gonna cut me a length of jump rope.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:43 AM

My mom used to make us jump ropes when we were kids by cutting a rope to the right length, then cutting handles from an old garden hose. She slipped the 2 pieces of hose onto the rope, then tied knots to keep them in place. My mom ... the original Queen of Compacting!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

User Tag List