Compacting Mommas? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chelee suggested making a Flickr group so we can all post photos our thrift store/goodwill/free finds. So here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/thriftycompactfinds/

Hope you'll all join us!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#122 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
Okay, so I planned meals for the week, thought carefully about what food to buy, went shopping and purchased only organic, locally grown produce and just the essentials otherwise and was well in budget. I sent DH out for milk last night (just milk!) and he came back with two bags (paper, not reusable!) full of junk - boxed mac and cheese, hot dogs, cookies, SPAM!! I feel so defeated. I was at home making this healthy, local, fresh meal and he wants processed junk. I sent him for one specific (and locally produced, hormone free) item, with the brand name so he wouldn't get the wrong thing, and he came home with two bags of the wrong things.

When we talked about eating more locally, he agreed with me and said it was a great idea. When faced with the supermarket, though, he couldn't seem to pass up the canned meat. It's an unfortunate dent in my grocery budget, since I'm not preparing any of it.

Awwww...sorry mama!! Maybe it will just take more time for him to "get it" Hang in there...you're doing GREAT!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#123 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Okay, so I planned meals for the week, thought carefully about what food to buy, went shopping and purchased only organic, locally grown produce and just the essentials otherwise and was well in budget. I sent DH out for milk last night (just milk!) and he came back with two bags (paper, not reusable!) full of junk - boxed mac and cheese, hot dogs, cookies, SPAM!! I feel so defeated. I was at home making this healthy, local, fresh meal and he wants processed junk. I sent him for one specific (and locally produced, hormone free) item, with the brand name so he wouldn't get the wrong thing, and he came home with two bags of the wrong things.

When we talked about eating more locally, he agreed with me and said it was a great idea. When faced with the supermarket, though, he couldn't seem to pass up the canned meat. It's an unfortunate dent in my grocery budget, since I'm not preparing any of it.
I totally understand, momaste. My DH is similar. He won't buy things like Mac & Cheese or hotdogs, but thinks nothing of buying frozen burritos or cookies & pastries. Like yours, he agrees with my completely about what we should do, but has a hard time following through himself. I don't really have any advice, but wanted to say that I can completely relate and that it is actually getting a little better. I also try to stay on top of all grocery shopping so that he doesn't need to go to the store. I'd say that has made a big difference.
#124 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight View Post
Chelee suggested making a Flickr group so we can all post photos our thrift store/goodwill/free finds. So here it is:

Hope you'll all join us!
Thanks Sara! I will do so when I buy something and when I figure out how the whole Flickr thing works
#125 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 02:05 PM

I'm pretty good at staying on top of the shopping, but DH's the one who does bottles in the morning and evening for DS, who will only take a bottle at those two times (and only from dad.) He gets dairy in the form of cheese and yogurt from me, but won't take a bottle from me, so I didn't know we were low on milk. When DH got home, he asked if I'd picked up more milk for bedtime, but not knowing we were out of milk - since the carton was still in the fridge - I hadn't. So, as I was making dinner, he went and bought milk and junk.

It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying, especially since I'm working so hard to stay on budget.
#126 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying, especially since I'm working so hard to stay on budget.
Yep, I know just how that feels :
#127 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM

This may be a dumb question, but does trading online with other mamas count towards submitting photos of good finds? I haven't bought a single cloth diaper for my kids - I have traded for everything.

I do the same with baby carriers (wraps)- I trade, trade, trade.

I love swapping!
#128 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 04:00 PM

Sure, trading counts. It's acquiring things that aren't new.
#129 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 04:37 PM

Doing good here, except I am feeling a bit defeated in one area: food. I didn't pledge not to buy convenience foods only because I rarely do (I buy bread, cheese, etc...but I never buy premade things like mac n' cheese, frozen pizza, etc.). Life is crazy right now so I broke down and bought lots of convenience foods today: little pizza bites by Amy's Organics, premade frozen sweet potato fries, Annie's Mac N' Cheese, Van's organic waffles...

I don't feel good about these purchases, but I'm hoping it'll help a bit this week as we deal with the craziness of our schedule.
#130 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Hope you'll all join us!
I joined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
I totally understand, momaste. My DH is similar. He won't buy things like Mac & Cheese or hotdogs, but thinks nothing of buying frozen burritos or cookies & pastries. Like yours, he agrees with my completely about what we should do, but has a hard time following through himself. I don't really have any advice, but wanted to say that I can completely relate and that it is actually getting a little better. I also try to stay on top of all grocery shopping so that he doesn't need to go to the store. I'd say that has made a big difference.
I'm wondering if the DH's just really don't get that these are convenience foods? Maybe they think that these things are just regular groceries? :
#131 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
I'm wondering if the DH's just really don't get that these are convenience foods? Maybe they think that these things are just regular groceries? :
In my DH's case, you are probably right. Especially since not that long ago, we did eat this junk regularly.
#132 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveGirl View Post
Doing good here, except I am feeling a bit defeated in one area: food. I didn't pledge not to buy convenience foods only because I rarely do (I buy bread, cheese, etc...but I never buy premade things like mac n' cheese, frozen pizza, etc.). Life is crazy right now so I broke down and bought lots of convenience foods today: little pizza bites by Amy's Organics, premade frozen sweet potato fries, Annie's Mac N' Cheese, Van's organic waffles...

I don't feel good about these purchases, but I'm hoping it'll help a bit this week as we deal with the craziness of our schedule.
Don't beat yourself up Ali...you are still doing good. At least they were organic! It could be worse! I think you have to do what is working for you right at that moment. If buying convenience foods means you will be a happier, less stressed mama this week, then you should do it without regret. Just start again next week. Hey, and like you said, you didn't even say you wouldn't

#133 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 06:40 PM

Its been about a week for me and I have bought nothing but essential groceries Miserably sick right now with a cold, so its not like I really want to go buy anything right now either I'm not doing any decluttering right now until I feel better.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#134 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Its been about a week for me and I have bought nothing but essential groceries Miserably sick right now with a cold, so its not like I really want to go buy anything right now either I'm not doing any decluttering right now until I feel better.
Just relax and take care of yourself. All that clutter will still be waiting for you when you get better.
#135 of 461 Old 10-18-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

I never realized how tough it is to buy used until I started this project! I'm looking for some clothing items and shoes for winter and turning up zilch in terms of used--plenty of new stuff is available though. I guess, I just keep looking and eventually I'll find what I need.

Still, I'm working with what I have. Instead of trying to find a new coat for the office this winter, I remembered that I have a beautiful vintage wool 1950s opera coat. All I need to do is mend the lining.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#136 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 AM

I am still here. When a stomache bug has gone through each of us in the house in the last 5 days, it is easy to not buy anything. The food issue is tougher for me though. My DH got my son a pizza today because I (the last to have the bug) still can't really stand to look at food. My DH for sure would bulk up on convienience food if he had the chance.
We have been sick for the last 6 weeks from a cold and now this thing, all I want to do is be outside and go to a park, makes it easier not to buy things.

I still can't really figure out my blog, how to get a link to it... when I do I will post it. I am really relieved by this Compact though, it takes a lot of pressure off for the holidays. I get soooo stressed out about shopping. I haven't been tepted to shop yet, but sometimes with me it comes in weird little ways. Oh the other day I was looking at magazines in line, one had a topic i felt like reading about, I almost put it in my basket. Then I said to myself "That is not in the Compact." So I guess I have wanted to buy something... thanks to the Compact I didn't.

Thank you!
Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#137 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlwons View Post

I still can't really figure out my blog, how to get a link to it... when I do I will post it.
At the top of the page, in your browser: When you are on your blog's page, select the address in the address bar (ctrl A), then copy it (ctrl C) and you can paste it here. HTH
#138 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I never realized how tough it is to buy used until I started this project! I'm looking for some clothing items and shoes for winter and turning up zilch in terms of used--plenty of new stuff is available though. I guess, I just keep looking and eventually I'll find what I need.
Have you checked eBay? Trading Post? Maybe we should start our own little Trading Post on Yahoo We could keep an eye out for things other mamas need.

#139 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 03:28 AM

I'm in!! I just found this thread, thanks Delight! I have been HATING all our stuff lately, really been feeling the need to declutter. Also I've been feeling very strongly about NOT supporting this consuming culture (esp after reading the Shane Claibourne book The Irresistible Revolution). So, I'm in. I haven't read all the posts but read the first page. I too am making an exception that I can by new fibers for my knitting. Everything else should be easy. I'm so poor anyways (ds and I are on welfare) I won't have any problem not buying stuff new. My problem is that I can't always afford the best quality of things that we need to buy new (like food). Any suggestions for that?

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#140 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
I'm in!! I just found this thread, thanks Delight! I have been HATING all our stuff lately, really been feeling the need to declutter. Also I've been feeling very strongly about NOT supporting this consuming culture (esp after reading the Shane Claibourne book The Irresistible Revolution). So, I'm in. I haven't read all the posts but read the first page. I too am making an exception that I can by new fibers for my knitting. Everything else should be easy. I'm so poor anyways (ds and I are on welfare) I won't have any problem not buying stuff new. My problem is that I can't always afford the best quality of things that we need to buy new (like food). Any suggestions for that?
Welcome mama! So glad you're joining us The Irresistable Revoultion radically changed me...what a powerful book. I would love to go volunteer for a week in Philly with Shane!

Be sure to check out Jenny's blog...she's eating great, on a tight budget.

#141 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
This may be a dumb question, but does trading online with other mamas count towards submitting photos of good finds? I haven't bought a single cloth diaper for my kids - I have traded for everything.

I do the same with baby carriers (wraps)- I trade, trade, trade.

I love swapping!
That is a wonderful idea! I have never done that. Does this (an opportunity to trade) just come up in the course of conversation?

I had been doing well (I only started Saturday) until yesterday. Part of my Compact Guidelines has to do with eating locally grown, etc... We were running late yesterday and the kids and I had fast food for lunch!! Other than that we've been doing well. Even got a couple of books at a thrift store when I dropped off donations (one along ds13's interest - and one on whole food baby food).

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#142 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you checked eBay? Trading Post? Maybe we should start our own little Trading Post on Yahoo We could keep an eye out for things other mamas need.
I have been checking on Ebay, and keeping my eyes peeled on TP and our local papers and stores. I'll find what I need--the hunt is kinda fun .

I do think it's a GREAT idea to start our own little TP so that we can keep an eye out for things others might need. Hmmm ... who wants to start that? I'd join in a second.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#143 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 PM

Okay, if anyone sees a pressure cooker in their searches, please let me know! I would like one for canning and also for dry beans (I hate soaking overnight!)

I bought nothing yesterday! I'm going out with my mommy group today and haven't told them about the Compact yet. We usually go out to eat after. I'm oddly anxious about it!
#144 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
...I do think it's a GREAT idea to start our own little TP so that we can keep an eye out for things others might need. Hmmm ... who wants to start that? I'd join in a second.

So would I!! (Maybe we can start by posting what we have on hand that we no longer want and are willing to send to another mumma who might have a use for it?)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#145 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 04:32 PM

snowbunny- what do you need, and what sizes? I might have some winter stuff.

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#146 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 05:49 PM

I think the yahoogroup is a great idea
#147 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 06:04 PM

I was thinking about a Yahoo group for us, too. I'll start one called CompactingMommas if you guys want.
#148 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 06:13 PM

I don't know if this has been said already, but it's a whole lot easier not to buy new things if you don't go to stores. I dont generally shop for recreation (hell, with 2 kids, who can do that?) but on the rare occassion when i find myself with out children and I stop at a store, I see so many things I'd like to have. If I just don't go to stores, I'm not tempted. (My favorite store to shop at is this new thrift store that is ENORMOUS! and so beautifully organized. On monday's everything's 25% off so I can come home with a whole bag of things that are new for our family for next to nothing - and it's all used stuff!)
#149 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 06:13 PM

#150 of 461 Old 10-19-2006, 06:16 PM

I just wanted to say that this thread is so inspiring. Reading it has really made me more conscious of my own consumerism. I've really been thinking about things that I need or want before I buy them. I've also been looking for items used at thrift shops or online before I buy them new.

I don't know if I'm ready for the commitment of a year of The Compact, but I am trying to follow many of it's guidelines.

Thanks so much for sharing your journeys into "non-consumerism" with us!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page