Compacting Mommas? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 461 Old 10-20-2006, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ravin, what color cap do you need? I have a white one I'd be happy to send you.
#182 of 461 Old 10-20-2006, 11:11 PM

My 10-year-old DD needs tennies. Any good shoe sources for older kids? Just a basic pair of running/walking shoes that are in good condition, size 5, fairly wide in the toe box. Where should I start?
#183 of 461 Old 10-20-2006, 11:22 PM

If you don't have a thrift store in your town is it possible to try the next nearest town? Is that the most unhelpful suggestion you've ever heard? Next I'd check out Craigslist, the site is pretty self explanatory, just give yourself time to peruse and you'll figure it out. Good luck.

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#184 of 461 Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 PM

Because shoes can mold to the feet and walking habits of their former owners, even poor walking habits or differently shaped arches, they're best not used for growing feet. My parents did thrift shop and make it yourself for everything else but insisted on new shoes so that my feet would grow properly. (We did a lot of Payless shoes, but they were new on my feet!) So I have a feeling like shoes are exempt in the way that underwear are exempt. That's just me.
#185 of 461 Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 PM

I read through some of the thread. Its a long one

Im totally up for the challange.
We buy most of our stuff used and Im going to try to buy all of our stuff used from now on or through swapping/bartering.
Dd and I were already planning on making our christmas gifts this year. I love recycling fabric so this should be easy. Making the gifts will be the hard part. Im a newbie with my sewing machine (that I bought new .

Food is important to me. We are really big on Fairtrade and animal friendly before organic. All three in one product, Thats amazing grub and that is totally something we aim for. Fairtrade is the most important for us.

I just found a barter forum started by an MDC mama. Its super new.
http://bartersmarket.proboards104.com/index.cgi
#186 of 461 Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 PM

I would wear used undergarments. I have swapped for a used bra and undies set before It was super cute, and I still wear it
I figure, if ds can wear used CD than I can handle used undies.

Most of our shoes are used or were given to us. This is something dh will have a hard time with. He hates wearing used shoes. Would buying a new pair of shoes off of the TP or ebay count as Compacting?
#187 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 AM

I'm thinking shoes for my hard-to-fit DD might not be a great place for me to start (sort of officially) Compacting. I'm afraid if I buy them used off the Internet, I'd end up amassing a bunch of used size 5 shoes that didn't end up fitting her because she couldn't try them on first! That flies in the face of my decluttering effort!

Meanwhile, we gathered walnuts off the ground at a farm event we attended last weekend, and this afternoon little DD and I painstakingly cracked them all and toasted them for salads. We picked them up, we cracked them, we dug out the meat, we toasted them . . . somehow they're more valuable to me than if I'd just gone to Trader Joe's and paid $4 for a bag of toasted walnuts. A year ago, that's what I would've done, then ended up throwing out half the bag when they went rancid because I didn't use them up in time. These walnuts, I'm committed, will all be eaten in the next couple days.

Similarly, we recently joined a CSA, and something about having that box of veggies every week really compels me to USE them ALL. It's my own personal challenge, to use every scrap from that box of vegetables. In the six weeks we've been doing it, I've only tossed one thing: Some eggplant that I burned by accident. The CSA has turned me on to acorn squash (something I previously considered not worth the trouble of cracking it open and scraping out the seeds), roasted peppers (what else do you do with five peppers every week?), super-sweet Bronx grapes WITH SEEDS, casaba melons (never would have bought one at the store--too mysterious). It just feels right to use every bit of the organic produce, then break down the box and return it when I pick up the next week's box.
#188 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 02:38 AM

Okay, I had x-country skis picked out, and didn't get them. I have a snowboard and I need to use that. This time of year is really hard for me though. THere was a brand new HornyToad jacket there and tried it on and dh asked me about the compact and that I shouldn't get it. I'm glad I have his support, even if it's only because he doesn't want me to spend money

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#189 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 09:12 AM

The Compact has really been on my mind a lot lately... it has me questioning so much of my natural routine. I must be outwardly questioning it a lot too 'cause my 4 year old piped up today with, "See that big balloon ice cream mommy? (pointing to a large inflated coffe drink balloon on top of a donut shop) They only put that there to trick you. You don't really want an ice cream but they want you to waste your money and buy one. Don't let them trick you mommy." Smart boy.

I've warned the family that we're doing a huge declutter/give away, and it's time to be brutal! We've gone through declutters before and hardly anything gets permanantly out our home. But this time I want some genuine thought and honesty, and if it hasn't been seen in a year, or used in 6 months then it's out of here.

We choose to live in a small condo, it's time we respect our lack or storage and space and make more room for us.

The next step after that will be not bringing in anything else into the condo to take the junks' place.
#190 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
A good book that touches on these issues (local vs. shipped in, hydroponic vs. imported from other areas, keeping money within our community vs. supporting farmers in developing nations, local & unorganic vs. imported & organic, etc) is The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter by Peter Singer and Jim Mason. It gives much food for thought when it comes to the various ethical choices we make each and every time we purchase our food.
Thanks for the book suggestion - I've just placed a hold on it through my library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
How did everyone else do today?
We almost never do this:

I got a free massage from my chiro for having made me wait in excess of a half hour three times in a row. Yay, free massage! Woot! It was supposed to be only an hour, but it ran more like two - we got started late and he took more time. Yay for me but not so yay for DH, who was hungry after work and had brought DS back from the park and had been waiting for me in the lobby, HUNGRY, for 35 minutes.

I let him get a small pizza (his favourite food, which we never eat, ever). Just for him. DS and I had food cooked at home. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama View Post
I would wear used undergarments. I have swapped for a used bra and undies set before It was super cute, and I still wear it
I figure, if ds can wear used CD than I can handle used undies.

Most of our shoes are used or were given to us. This is something dh will have a hard time with. He hates wearing used shoes. Would buying a new pair of shoes off of the TP or ebay count as Compacting?
Funny, I have the same type of thinking, only it goes more like, "*I* wouldn't wear used undies, so why would I put used CDs on DS?"

And I say yes, it would count, because you are buying secondhand, even though they're new. Although on Ebay sometimes you ARE buying from a company, so if you just make sure it's an individual first, then I think that's okay.

But that's just me. I rather agree with the shoe discussion above.
#191 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My thing with shoes is: Have just one or two pairs that meet all your needs, not dozens of cheapo fashion shoes. I get my shoes from www.nativearth.com, they're a family-run business that hand-crafts shoes and sells them at renfaires and SCA events. The pair I bought last spring are getting worn, so I'll get them re-soled. I'm also going to get a pair of boots that will go better with a professional wardrobe, bringing my shoes to 2 pairs.

Currently, DD is in preschoolians. She has one pair she wears with everything. No secondhand shoes for us, but good quality shoes, from small companies and not big cheapo chain stores.

As for cap and gown, they need to be maroon.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#192 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 01:56 PM

I think new shoes are okay if they're, like Ravin said, one or two pairs of shoes for constant rotation, not a pair of fun, frilly shoes a week that never get worn.

I have five pairs of shoes total - one everyday leather, one sneakers, one sandals, one dressy shoes, one boots. Since they're each worn with a different purpose, that's okay with me. I don't think I'll need to replace all of them this year, probably just the everyday and sneakers. For me and my life, that's acceptable to buy new. Shoes aren't one of my downfalls, though.

I am not buying any new make-up, though, and that is really one I struggle with! We all have our downfalls, and to me, the point of the Compact is to rethink those purchases that I would otherwise make blindly and would clutter my life. Shoes just aren't one of those things, but I could endlessly acquire lipstick.
#193 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 04:48 PM

Ack! Only 2 pairs of shoes! No new makeup! :
I can do second hand clothes, frankly I could really use a massive rethink when it comes to clothes buying vs. need, but the shoes and makeup...

Okay, baby steps. Baby steps.
#194 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 05:17 PM

momaste- good for you (for not buying lipstick)! I think the cosmetic industry is really evil, it is based upon the premise that we are not good enough as is and need to do outward/physical things to change ourselves in order to feel good about ourselves.
As for shoes- I own two pairs, a pairs of Keens and a pair of doc martens (i got from the thrift store). Zane (ds) get's new shoes, but not always the best quality because we can't afford them.
Witch's mom- That's so great that you guys gathered up the walnuts and prepped them. It sounds like so much fun. Your post reminded me of something I am going to add to my Compact, and that is NOT throwing out food. I am HORRIBLE at this. My brother came back from a talk on Darfur. One refugee said he told his friends that we (American's) often throw food away and his friend was astonished. I feel so ashamed that I do this. SO, that's part of my Compact (which I am still working on).
And mirthful mom- You can do it!! If baby steps is what works for you, go for it, and in the meantime think about everything else.

#195 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 05:17 PM

I've found the swap boards at makeupalley.com very helpful for trying new things without buying new. I think I can manage not to buy anything because of this (totally legit) resource.
#196 of 461 Old 10-21-2006, 08:09 PM

MAJOR decluttering day around here. My DDs got into it, too, and loaded up FIVE BAGS of stuff from the playroom. We talked about how light we felt, getting rid of so much stuff. We've got three bags to go to Goodwill--clothes little DD has outgrown that won't appeal to her younger girl cousin, toys that are still in good shape that nobody plays with anymore. We've also got a lot of recycling (old drawings and schoolwork) and a couple bags of trash. I've also got a bunch of ratty shirts to cut up into rags, and old tablecloths to cut and sew into cloth napkins. I am most amazed at my girls. They really got into the spirit of it all, and we talked a lot about how STUFF is in many ways making us miserable. There is hardly an argument in this house that doesn't involve stuff: stuff that's mine, stuff that's not mine, stuff that needs to be put away, stuff that somebody wants when we're in the store, stuff that nobody knows where to put. We've had a few of these decluttering days over the years, but none as successful as this, where the girls got into it willingly and expressed positive feelings about clearing things away.
#197 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 02:56 AM

Hey Hip mama! Yay, I'm so glad you're going to do this with me. . . I knew you would. I can't wait to see you now so I can sabotage your de-cluttering with giving you more of Zane's old clothes for Mylo. :

#198 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I read through some of the thread. Its a long one

Im totally up for the challange.
We buy most of our stuff used and Im going to try to buy all of our stuff used from now on or through swapping/bartering.
Dd and I were already planning on making our christmas gifts this year. I love recycling fabric so this should be easy. Making the gifts will be the hard part. Im a newbie with my sewing machine (that I bought new .

Food is important to me. We are really big on Fairtrade and animal friendly before organic. All three in one product, Thats amazing grub and that is totally something we aim for. Fairtrade is the most important for us.

I just found a barter forum started by an MDC mama. Its super new.
http://bartersmarket.proboards104.com/index.cgi
I signed up on this site too, along with the yahoo group. Boy is it brand new. I posted a couple of things, now I have to figure out how to add pics. I am so NOT saavy with the computer .
#199 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 01:01 PM

Yep, the group IS brand new, and we're happy to have new members!

Adding photos is easy! If the photo is on your hard drive, say, in your My Pictures folder, you would go to Photos in the group, then Add Photo. The first time you'll want to Add to a new album and type in the name of your album (like "kellid's photos"). Gow down to where it says "Photo 1" (space) then a button that says "browse." Click the browse button and go to My Pictures on your computer. Pick the one you want (thumbnails are helpful here!) and then go to the bottom of the page and "add now." You're done!
#200 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 PM

Well, ds is insisting on Target today to buy something with his allowance. I have tried to convince him to save his money for Seattle, but he is 7, and the call of trinkets is to hard to ignore. When I took him on Wed. I browsed around, and saw to many things I really wanted, but didn't purchase. I plan on walking through straight to toys, and back out. Wish me luck!

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#201 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 02:46 PM

Thats tough.

My ds likes to go to the Salvation Army to get toys- but the toys are usually junky stuff like I'm trying to ban from my house.

I try to get him to use money on stuff from eBay- good stuff like marbles, or a nice set of blocks or something- but I guess kids dont get the thrill of online buying like I do.
#202 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 02:47 PM

I keep being called back to this thread

My habits are out of control. :

I have little to no self discipline, we eat out alot, impulse buy, have alot of clutter....

We do buy alot used.

Still...this is such a challenge for me......

I guess I will lurk and think some more...

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#203 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Hey Hip mama! Yay, I'm so glad you're going to do this with me. . . I knew you would. I can't wait to see you now so I can sabotage your de-cluttering with giving you more of Zane's old clothes for Mylo. :

I LOVE hand me downs
Less to buy

Im still trying to think of my personal compact.
Eating out would be a great one for me to include. We eat out about once a week. Im a sucker for pizza mmm papa Johns and their crust is vegan too. I will try to not eat papa Johns. I will try Like a pp said, Baby steps

I love the not throwing food out. I try my hardest to save leftovers. Im not vary good at using leftovers tho. Does anybody know of a cook book that is soley about using leftovers?

Dh and i are really trying to stay away from Big Box companies all together. Im in need of some suggestions for places to get things like toilet paper, cat litter, dish soap, vinager ect. We Do not want to support those nasty nasty coorporations.
#204 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:

I love the not throwing food out. I try my hardest to save leftovers. Im not vary good at using leftovers tho. Does anybody know of a cook book that is soley about using leftovers?
I too would love such a cookbook?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#205 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
Yep, the group IS brand new, and we're happy to have new members!

Adding photos is easy! If the photo is on your hard drive, say, in your My Pictures folder, you would go to Photos in the group, then Add Photo. The first time you'll want to Add to a new album and type in the name of your album (like "kellid's photos"). Gow down to where it says "Photo 1" (space) then a button that says "browse." Click the browse button and go to My Pictures on your computer. Pick the one you want (thumbnails are helpful here!) and then go to the bottom of the page and "add now." You're done!
are you talking about the barter's market or the compacting mommas group on yahoo? i can't find where to "go to Photos in the group".
#206 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post

I try to get him to use money on stuff from eBay- good stuff like marbles, or a nice set of blocks or something- but I guess kids dont get the thrill of online buying like I do.
my boys love ebay -- they are always wanting me to check on things for them. So far they have purchased playmobil, beanie babies and fossils for their collections.
#207 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Dh and i are really trying to stay away from Big Box companies all together. Im in need of some suggestions for places to get things like toilet paper, cat litter, dish soap, vinager ect. We Do not want to support those nasty nasty coorporations.
Even TJs and Costco and the like? So ALL corporations? Because I think the items you mentioned are all made by big corporations anyway.

For TP you could switch to cloth.

We get cat litter at Petco because they offer a refillable bin - less waste, we just take it in and refill it once a week.

Vinegar we buy at Fred Meyer. Dish soap at Trader Joe's.
#208 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 10:14 PM

kellid, I was talking about the Yahoo! group. The Photos section on the bar on the lefthand side, under messages and files. I don't know the bartering group.

We bought a new-to-us kitchen!! It's the display model I linked to above - I guess the other offer fell through, and we went in today to get it. I posted pictures on my blog. I'm SOOOOO excited! And we bought the display model, not new, which I think still works within Compact rules.
#209 of 461 Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 PM

I've been lurking at the thread for a week or so now, and had an epiphany today. I should totally do this! I feel too timid to jump in though.

Where I live, there's a second hand store for practically anything you'd need. Thrift for clothes and toys, even art and home furnishings. There's a second hand media store where you can buy, sell, and trade new and used books, DVDs, VHS, CDs, even iPods! There's also Goodwill and Freecycle, tons of churches=tons of children's consignment sales. Heck, the MOPS group I'm in even has a semi annual event called Mop Swap--where all the mamas bring in anything they don't want (clothes, kids clothes, toys, books, ANYTHING) and we put it all around the room and everyone can go "shopping" for free.

I have been decluttering since the summer and am really seeing a change in how I'm viewing our things/posessions. I am getting very tired of being controlled by advertising and promotional media. I want to discourage this sort of hoarding and desire to purchase, to accumulate, in my children while they are young enough to accept it without a huge struggle.

Looking forward to learning more and more from you all. Hopefully I'll get off of this fence soon!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#210 of 461 Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 AM

Momaste, that kitchen is gorgeous! Congratulations.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page